mobile email on the cheap

January 31, 2005 4:02:13 PM

email or I can buy third party software
like handango AOL Mail 3.5 etc. but
this company will not refund if it
doesnt work.

I however notice there is a customizing
ability of this particular older
palm where you can write in
your own
INITIAL SCRIPT (it has AT&T 5FS or something
but this can be changed)
So I am wondering if any of the other
providers like
Netscape, Netzero, etc. might allow
a direct manually entered initial script
to call up the provider this way.

Of course with the new cell phones, it is
possible to send 2 line max SIM messages
pretty much anywhere as standard email
but these are limited obviously and
not capable in more remote areas.

any info on setting up this particular
palm (IIIxe) for direct modem use for
any provider appreciated, or whether
other older cheaper gadgets can fetch
email only without paying extra fees
beyond the standard provider fee.

More about : mobile email cheap

Anonymous
February 1, 2005 4:48:52 AM

On 31-Jan-2005, "nrg" <nrg7757@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I am trying to set up an older palm
> (IIIxe refurb. to OS 4.1) to just get
> email from aol or yahoo etc.

Unless you pay extra for POP access (Yahoo), you won't be able to grab your
email over the modem. You can try to run an older browser like Xiino to
gain web access to your email. Yahoo used to work that way, after an
initial complaint from their software - "You're using an older browser, and
we suggest you upgrade. If not, we can continue with our older
software"...

> So far I am unable to get the older
> palm and the palm made modem to work,
> but I was told AOL (the provider I
> have now) may not support older palm
> email or I can buy third party software
> like handango AOL Mail 3.5 etc. but
> this company will not refund if it
> doesnt work.

Any Palm with a "Universal Connector" can be attached to any external modem
you have lying around. I used to use an old 33.6 USR Sportster external
with my m515 and have attached my daughter's ancient IIIxe in the same
manner. You need 3 things: A serial HotSync cable (or your serial
cradle), a 9 pin Null Modem adapter, and a normal serial cable that
attaches to the modem. The null modem adapter can be found at any Radio
Shack, and with an added gender changer (less than $20 total) to make a
Male-to-Male connection can attach your Palm to the serial cable of the
External Modem.

> I however notice there is a customizing
> ability of this particular older
> palm where you can write in
> your own
> INITIAL SCRIPT (it has AT&T 5FS or something
> but this can be changed)
> So I am wondering if any of the other
> providers like
> Netscape, Netzero, etc. might allow
> a direct manually entered initial script
> to call up the provider this way.

The "initialization script" is to tell your modem to wake up, and dial.
Normally you don't need to put anything in there, but if you want you can
put "AT&F1" for example. When you set up a Network entry for the ISP
you're going to use, just select "Serial to Modem" as your connection. The
Palm will handle the rest.
NetZero is another provider that does not offer free POP access to email
anymore. I'm very happy with a service called "Access-4-free". Less than
10hours a month is free, 10-20 gets charged $1/hr, to a maximum charge of
$10/month for unlimited access. It works great with my Palm Zire 72 now,
and with my old m515 back then. Still offers free POP email!

Aol sells a version for Palms that will grab their email (used to be
free!). If you used the A4free ISP I mentioned above, you could go online
with your IIIxe/modem connection and get your Aol mail all for free!

HTH,

WyreNut
Anonymous
February 1, 2005 5:27:47 PM

nrg napsal(a):
> I am trying to set up an older palm
> (IIIxe refurb. to OS 4.1) to just get
> email from aol or yahoo etc.
>
> It occurs to me that the current mobile
> email situation is fairly expensive.
>
> First you must pay monthly to AOL, then
> if you use any of mobile devices, the
> ones I know of are:
> tm-20 pocketmail costs at least 15/mo.
> mailstation uses only earthlink 12/mo.

Why? Get Eudora, and you'll have a POP3/IMAP4 email client for your
desktop AND Palm, able to synchronize both ways. The mail you download
to your desktop will be synced to the Palm and vice versa.
Still better, it's free.
The only thing you have to pay is internet connection, and migrate to
other mail provider that doesn't charge for POP3 access. Just have your
AOL/Yahoo/whatever mail autoforwarded to your new mailbox.
Mark

--
The last easy day was yesterday.
!