Thermalright Ultra-120 Copper Hitting Shelves This Month

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Thing actually looks pretty cool. The regular Ultra 120 Extreme is called too heavy already. I disagree, but this thing might be a little too heavy.

I don't have the need to upgrade to one, but if I didn't have an Extreme already I might go for this...

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
I guess you could always just lay your case on its side, of course this fucks with the airflow design (heat rising) so the gains over the aluminum version might be negligible.

smalltime0

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2008
[citation][nom]Jchan192[/nom]$100-$110 .... thats a lot if you ask me for a air cooler[/citation]
Have you noticed the price of copper these days?

gsteacy

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2008
[citation][nom]byebye[/nom]Hay TomsHardware are you guys going to test it out???[/citation]
I'm hoping so (although I won't be testing it myself :() I'll make the suggestion :)

starhoof

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2008
I dont know, mabye if you find a good backplate for it, the weight will be evenly distributed, so it wouldnt be a big problem, lets hope Im right

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
I am worried about Heavy Heatsinks damaging a vertically positioned motherboard. Hopefully it will come with a way to better secure it so it isn't causing stress on the motherboard but the tray.

Still looks cool. I hope it comes with a quality premium.

Pixels303

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2008
So many different ways of making a CPU cooler and so many different versions Patented in such a way that people end up inventing more inefficient ways of cooling your computer. Thermaltake has some even better designs. I like the designs where the fins originate from the center and in a circular fashion fan outwards with a fan in the center. No need for fancy heat pipes that way, and in the end air movement is more efficiently distributed over your main-board components and has a lower profile.
I give this one a 2/5 for ergonomic and efficient design.

hannibal

Distinguished
Maybe we will see custon fit computer case, where the other end of this mammuth is on motherboear and other get support from the case itself...

I am sure, that this is good heat reducer, but if you go to this heavy solution, the water cooler may be your way to go. But if you can somehow support the weigth of this, it may be really usefull, if you don't like water coolers. Maybe you can solder some support frame system, to the case...

cyborg28

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2007
Copper costs about $3 per lb, how does $12 of copper translate into a $120 cpu cooler (that is double the price of the aluminum option)? You are paying for a "custom" cooler, not nec. a copper cooler!

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
I hope this won't be released until next month some time! It's just got to go onto my christmas wishlist!
I've got the 'extreme' one at home, and been rather happy with it. It replaced a ninja back then, and I was amazed by it's superior cooling. I gotta have this one! would be a great looking match for my ds4 ...

Status
Not open for further replies.