[Crawl] Beginners

Hey everyone.

I just recently found out about this game and am now quite addicted,
but to my regret most of my characters don't even live long enough to
get to the temple. So my question to you all is:

What do you think is the easiest (Fun!) starting character ?

For me Spriggan Assassins (shoot, run, wait till it dies, repeat) and
Troll Berserkers (bump them till they die) seem to last the longest
and transmuters were the most fun, but a bit hard to keep alive.

Just to show you all my progress, here's my top 5 crawlers:

1. 2585 Gnarly SpAs-09 slain by a troll (Orc 3)
// Found out the hard way that I should have sticked with the regular
dungeon.
2. 1346 Grungar TrBe-08 slain by a killer bee (DLv 9)
// Overconfidence.
3. 1104 Outrageous SpEn-08 slain by a centaur (Dlv 6)
// Luck on Mr. Centaur's part.
4. 1088 Grog_II TrBe-07 slain by a yak (Dlv 8)
// "Ooh look, a pack of sheep" (using the pretty-picture-version of
crawl)
5. 1012 Bloaty TrBe-07 slain by a giant beetle (Dlv 8)
// I'm not used to floating eyes gazing at range.

Thanks in advance for any and all replies.

- Rachid

P.S. Who can guess where I get my spriggan names from ? (hint: another
one is tubular, there are 8 all in all)

Rachid wrote:
> Hey everyone.
>
> I just recently found out about this game and am now quite addicted,
> but to my regret most of my characters don't even live long enough to
> get to the temple. So my question to you all is:

I lose most of my characters before it too. :(

> What do you think is the easiest (Fun!) starting character ?

No Idea, my best one was a Merfolk Frostmage called Thomas, who died on
dungeon level 11. Not really good. :/

Rachid <Rbenkmil@hotmail.com> growled:

> I just recently found out about this game and am now quite
> addicted, but to my regret most of my characters don't even live
> long enough to get to the temple.

That's pretty normal, in my experience.

> So my question to you all is:

> What do you think is the easiest (Fun!) starting character ?

The lucky one that survives.

Sorry, that's really almost it. If you learn to run before things
get dangerous, proper spellcasters are easier. Toughest are the
mixed ones, like Reavers; concentrate on one trait (casting _or_
fighting).

Maybe fire elementalists with lots of mana and skill for fire magic
are relatively easy.

Summoners are the easiest class, IMO, but only good with plenty of
mana to call for help.

Try deep elves. They're really frail, but the best casters in the
game, in combination with either of the above, lots of caution, and
plenty of luck, you should get to new depths.

> Just to show you all my progress, here's my top 5 crawlers:

> 4. 1088 Grog_II TrBe-07 slain by a yak (Dlv 8)
> // "Ooh look, a pack of sheep" (using the pretty-picture-version
> of crawl)

:) You'll find the sheep a little deeper.

What picture version?

Here's the bottom 5 out of my top-100 Crawlers. :) (I wish the score
had them all.)

96. 1198 Marshmello SETm-07 splashed by acid (DLv 7)
97. 1155 Rienanyr SpAs-08 shot by a centaur (DLv 8)
98. 1116 Dread DEWz-07 slain by an ice beast (DLv 6)
99. 1108 Xadra DSGl-07 slain by an orc warrior (DLv 7)
100. 1024 Marshmello SETm-07 slain by a giant beetle (DLv 6)

Can't remember any of them...

> P.S. Who can guess where I get my spriggan names from ? (hint:
> another one is tubular, there are 8 all in all)

No idea.

--
Tina the Cutthroat - an Initiate of the Raking Norwegian Gesture

On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 03:08:00 mez, T.Hall@railroad.robin.de (Tina Hall)
wrote:

>> Just to show you all my progress, here's my top 5 crawlers:
>
>> 4. 1088 Grog_II TrBe-07 slain by a yak (Dlv 8)
>> // "Ooh look, a pack of sheep" (using the pretty-picture-version
>> of crawl)
>
>:) You'll find the sheep a little deeper.
>
>What picture version?

The windows tile version.. I think you can get it at:
http://f25.aaacafe.ne.jp/%7Enullpo/down_e.html

>Here's the bottom 5 out of my top-100 Crawlers. :) (I wish the score
>had them all.)
>
> 96. 1198 Marshmello SETm-07 splashed by acid (DLv 7)
> 97. 1155 Rienanyr SpAs-08 shot by a centaur (DLv 8)
> 98. 1116 Dread DEWz-07 slain by an ice beast (DLv 6)
> 99. 1108 Xadra DSGl-07 slain by an orc warrior (DLv 7)
>100. 1024 Marshmello SETm-07 slain by a giant beetle (DLv 6)

Wow, I think my lowest has like 40 points.

I'm now playing a pretty promising DeIe, those are fun but I've had
some pretty close calls (ghosts from using Hearse and Sigmund).

- Rachid

Loonie

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2001

Rachid .-- .-. --- - . ---...

> What do you think is the easiest (Fun!) starting character ?
> For me Spriggan Assassins (shoot, run, wait till it dies, repeat) and
> Troll Berserkers (bump them till they die) seem to last the longest
> and transmuters were the most fun, but a bit hard to keep alive.

Try out Dwarven Monk restricted to Unarmed fighting with little body armour
(preferably 0 or -1EV). Or Deep Elf Fire Elementalist (Ice Elementalists
tend to have problems with undeads).

> P.S. Who can guess where I get my spriggan names from ? (hint: another
> one is tubular, there are 8 all in all)

Fairytale like Smurfs or the sleeping princess with 7 dwarves (that one is
rather useful for dwarves perhaps). If not then some cartoon or movie.

--
Loonie
---------------------------------------

Rachid wrote:
> Hey everyone.
>
> Just to show you all my progress, here's my top 5 crawlers:
>
> 1. 2585 Gnarly SpAs-09 slain by a troll (Orc 3)
> // Found out the hard way that I should have sticked with the regular
> dungeon.
> 2. 1346 Grungar TrBe-08 slain by a killer bee (DLv 9)
> // Overconfidence.
> 3. 1104 Outrageous SpEn-08 slain by a centaur (Dlv 6)
> // Luck on Mr. Centaur's part.
> 4. 1088 Grog_II TrBe-07 slain by a yak (Dlv 8)
> // "Ooh look, a pack of sheep" (using the pretty-picture-version of
> crawl)
> 5. 1012 Bloaty TrBe-07 slain by a giant beetle (Dlv 8)
> // I'm not used to floating eyes gazing at range.
>
> P.S. Who can guess where I get my spriggan names from ? (hint: another
> one is tubular, there are 8 all in all)

Super Mario World, the names of the secret levels.

Well, that was a horribly anticlimactic delurk for me. Back to lurking.

On 3 May 2004 13:10:24 -0700, WonderLlama_@hotmail.com (Igor D.
WonderLlama) wrote:

>Rachid wrote:
>> Hey everyone.
>>
>> Just to show you all my progress, here's my top 5 crawlers:
>>
>> 1. 2585 Gnarly SpAs-09 slain by a troll (Orc 3)
>> // Found out the hard way that I should have sticked with the regular
>> dungeon.
>> 2. 1346 Grungar TrBe-08 slain by a killer bee (DLv 9)
>> // Overconfidence.
>> 3. 1104 Outrageous SpEn-08 slain by a centaur (Dlv 6)
>> // Luck on Mr. Centaur's part.
>> 4. 1088 Grog_II TrBe-07 slain by a yak (Dlv 8)
>> // "Ooh look, a pack of sheep" (using the pretty-picture-version of
>> crawl)
>> 5. 1012 Bloaty TrBe-07 slain by a giant beetle (Dlv 8)
>> // I'm not used to floating eyes gazing at range.
>>
>> P.S. Who can guess where I get my spriggan names from ? (hint: another
>> one is tubular, there are 8 all in all)
>
>Super Mario World, the names of the secret levels.
>
>Well, that was a horribly anticlimactic delurk for me. Back to lurking.

Woohoo, and here I was thinking noone in this group had ever played a
super nintendo game before.

A bit more on-topic for me: I got all my top 5 characters over 2000
points now, but still dying at about the same depth (level 9 or 8).

I've also noticed that centaurs are easy too, since they are as quick
as spriggans, Which other characters are this fast ?

- Rachid

Rachid Benkmil <Rbenkmil@hotmail.com> croaked:

> A bit more on-topic for me: I got all my top 5 characters over
> 2000 points now, but still dying at about the same depth (level 9
> or 8).

What kills you?

> I've also noticed that centaurs are easy too, since they are as
> quick as spriggans, Which other characters are this fast ?

None, and afaik Spriggans are actually a little faster than
Centaurs. Nagas are slower than the norm, the rest is equally fast
without an artificial speed-boost.

Kenku can fly after a while (mine never survived to get to the point
when they can do it permanently, but the earlier, temporary effect
is neat, anyway).

--
Tina the Infuser - the Favourite Plaything of the Repellent Neat Gentleman

On Tue, 4 May 2004 15:50:00 GMT+1, Tina_Hall@kruemel.org (Tina Hall)
wrote:

>Rachid Benkmil <Rbenkmil@hotmail.com> croaked:
>
>> A bit more on-topic for me: I got all my top 5 characters over
>> 2000 points now, but still dying at about the same depth (level 9
>> or 8).
>
>What kills you?

Well, looking back on my highscore list, it seems in general it's just
plain bad luck that gets me. Air elementalist out of mana, chaos
knight forgetting his abilities (I just forgot what my back up plan
was since everything went so well), necromancer trying out his
vampiric draining on an imp, crusader (great class) underestimated an
orc warrior.

But what usually gets me before that point is Ogres and Orc
Priests/Wizards, the constant smiting from the priests kills my glass
cannon caster characters in one or two rounds and if lucky takes out
my fighter characters too.

>> I've also noticed that centaurs are easy too, since they are as
>> quick as spriggans, Which other characters are this fast ?
>
>None, and afaik Spriggans are actually a little faster than
>Centaurs. Nagas are slower than the norm, the rest is equally fast
>without an artificial speed-boost.
>
>Kenku can fly after a while (mine never survived to get to the point
>when they can do it permanently, but the earlier, temporary effect
>is neat, anyway).

The speed difference between centaurs and spriggans is not too
noticable anyway. But that is a _HUGE_ advantage over the other races,
being as fast as snakes usually keeps me alive in the earlier
dungeonlevels.

- Rachid

Loonie

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2001

Rachid Benkmil .-- .-. --- - . ---...

> necromancer trying out his
> vampiric draining on an imp,

:) I tend to use vampiric draining my very own zombies by bad targeting.

> crusader (great class) underestimated an
> orc warrior.

Try out High Elf Crusader, that switch from Short Blades to Long Swords
when only find any.

> But what usually gets me before that point is Ogres and Orc
> Priests/Wizards, the constant smiting from the priests kills my glass
> cannon caster characters in one or two rounds and if lucky takes out
> my fighter characters too.

You should either kill them really fast from distance, either hide behind
some wall and leap out when it's close enough to melee or eventually run
away until you find a good strategic to hide until it will go closer (they
tend to run after you rather than cast). Usually casters and priests are
stupid enough to hit you with some dagger or mace than cast their spells.
The same strategy works with distance shooters (say centaurs).

> The speed difference between centaurs and spriggans is not too
> noticable anyway. But that is a _HUGE_ advantage over the other races,
> being as fast as snakes usually keeps me alive in the earlier
> dungeonlevels.

Aye, but spriggans tend to be too small to contain sufficient amount of HP
and in almost any armour they look as it belong to older brother. ;-)

--
Loonie