Security bypass

mankj

Honorable
Jan 7, 2013
Hello,

i have unplugged my router and chosen to have my wired LAN be transmitted from my modem directly to my laptop. My connection is showing up as 'Network 2' and with a House icon next to it along with Wireless connections from the neighborhood. I guess my my biggest concern is if this is a safe method to be connected to the internet and is it effective (in terms of speed). I have gone through having my encryption cracked (WPA2) and i am now searching for solutions to reinstate the security of my computer.

thanks in advance.

mankj

Honorable
Jan 7, 2013
i'd assume literally unplugging the router from the wall socket would be enough to disable my wifi for everyone..? Frankly, i am a little weary about disabling the wifi since i might use it after i'm certain that no interlopers can intrude again. For now i am content with the security of wired connection and added speed though.

pauls3743

Distinguished
Let me ge thtis right.

You were
Internet -> Modem -> Router -> Computer
and you changed it to
Internet -> Modem -> Computer

This should be ok but I would change your network neighbourhood setting to public.

Personally, I found that adding a seperate router actually improved my internet.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Going directly from your cable modem to your laptop is very risky. Doing this, you rely upon the Windows (or other you installed) firewall to protect your system.

That is not recommended.

Rather, hardware your laptop to your router (connected to your modem) and simply disable the wireless capability as danny2000 suggests. This would be more secure.

mankj

Honorable
Jan 7, 2013
Now i am being told that i am at risk....??

my computer was hijacked and my internet crashed 3 consecutive times. I need to be secured as soon as possible. various of my work files and personal data are at risk since there is a possibility that i am being monitored at this moment by the perpetrator . I will do as you suggest but i would need you to assure me that i am following the procedure correctly. i'll begin by wiring from laptop socket to #1 router socket and then wire from router 'internet' socket to modem socket. The disabling wifi process is unknown to me so i guess i'd have to google it

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Just use your web browser to access your router's config/setup page. You should be able to locate the wireless settings and turn it off.

You should also change your router's password to a new one as well.

You should also so a fullscan of your system with your anti-virus (update it of course) program and an anti-malware program like malwarebytes. Get it at:

www.malwarebytes.org

Download, install, update and perform a full scan. Delete everything it finds. Just get the free version.

If your computer was "highjacked" then there is a 99.9999999999999999% chance it was over your internet, something you clicked or installed, our a drive by. The odds that someone is sitting within range of your wifi, wanted to crack it, and actually knows how and could defeat WPA2 without you giving them the key or it being obvious is so small its rediculous. Even if you had WPS on, which has a huge security flaw, the internet is still far far far more likely unless someone has a specific personal interest in YOU and not just infecting computers in general.

Even if they did come in through the wifi you're already "hijacked". By connecting it to the internet you're just giving them access to the system. You should never ever.connect an infected system to the internet unless absolutely necessary to download a security program or update,.then disconnect to clean it

mankj

Honorable
Jan 7, 2013
i am fairly certain it was "hijacked"" since the connection was strained in such a way that it constantly crashed. i also think i know who it was though i am unsure of the correspondent's ill intent. though my encryption was wpa2, my passphrase was a default one and it had no other added security tweaks. i'm positive that with sufficient knowledge and experience and the adequate 3rd party programs, my encryption could have been easily bypassed. Now i i have followed most of the suggestions here though i'm still waiting on a response to my wiring process

COLGeek

Cybernaut
I would hard reset the router to its default config and then reset the passwords immediately.

Your connections should have your PC connected to your router and your router to your modem. You may have to restart both the modem and the router to get them to properly recognize each other (modem first, wait for it to fully initialize, then the router).

NEVER, ever, and I mean never, use default passwords with a router. That is simply asking for trouble. Change it to something you'll remember, but makes no sense to anyone else.

If you enabled wireless, use the strongest encryption your router and wireless devices will support and make the passphrase complex.

mankj

Honorable
Jan 7, 2013

"Your connections should have your PC connected to your router and your router to your modem"

I understand this but which of the sockets in the router do i insert the wires into

"NEVER, ever, and I mean never, use default passwords with a router"

i'm not sure about any of this other than the fact that i will never forget these wise words.

i will follow all of your other suggestions after i am clear with the wiring process

Wasnt questioning you had an issue, "highjacked" can just mean alot, from viruses/malware/remote control etc. Third party programs/knowledge/experience arent needed if you use a default password. Any one can just look up the default password and hop on. That was the "key being something obvious" bit. And it sounds like it was personal which is very atypical.

Mankj's suggestions are great. Newish routers support WPS, or wifi protected setup. Its designed to allow you to push a button and enter a code to make setting up your network easier, but a MASSIVE bug was discovered and it is VERY easy to hack. You absolutely want to turn it off. Always.

As this was possibly a malicious attack by someone who may know your computer skill level you may want to consider getting your important files off, wiping the drive, and reinstalling windows. Rootkits or keyloggers could have been installed. Change your passwords on EVERYTHING. If you had tax files, things with you social security number(if in the US) watch you credit reports or put a security freeze on them, and watch for identity theft.

If they have it out for you and have the info they don't have to use it and incriminate themselves, they could just post it or sell it. not trying to scare you. But better safe than sorry

I'm with everyone else thus far on steps you can take to help your speeds and what not to do (namely using a direct connection from modem to computer). Another thing you can do (but is a bit advanced but should be able to get assistance from router vendor) is setup IP filtering on the router to only allow your computers and devices specific IP addresses on your network. It would require going in and setting up static IP addresses on the router that would then be assigned to each of the devices but I've found it to be quite effective. Worse comes to worse, you can also go as far as MAC address restrictions but I would use that as a last case scenario.

mankj, make sure as COLGeek stated, that you change the Admin password for the router itself, and not just the wireless security key (wpa2).