[Crawl] Joint Spoiler on spells (books, skills, levels).

This is a spoiler for the spellbooks and the spells they contain,
plus the spellskills the spells use and what level the spells are.

They're vaguely grouped by spell skill and difficulty, thus, for
example, all the books with mostly fire spells are listed together,
starting with those containg lower level spells.

The stuff in brackets is just info, or the name the book used to
have in earlier versions. Note that the addition of 'I', 'II' and
'III' doesn't appear in the name of the books in-game.

The information was taken from the source for Dungeon Crawl 4.0.0
beta 26, except the info about the Tome of Destruction, for which I
re-phrased the info in Mark Mackey's spellbooks spoiler.

Use at your own risk (no warranties concerning mistakes), of course.
If you want to put it on some website, any credit that you want to
give, apart from the above, goes to an Anonymous Crawler. Leave my
name out of it.

Book
Spell Skill Level

Book of Cantrips
Confusing Touch Enchantment 1
Animate Skeleton Necromancy 1
Summon Small Mammals Summoning 1
Detect Secret Doors Divination 1
Apportation Translocation 1

Book of Party Tricks
Summon Butterflies Summoning 1
Apportation Translocation 1
Projected Noise Enchantment 2
Blink Translocation 2
Levitation Enchantment/Air 2
Alistair's Intoxication Transmigration/Poison 4

Book of Practical Magic
Projected Noise Enchantment 2
Selective Amnesia Enchantment 3
Detect Curse Divination 3
Dig Transmigration/Earth 4
Remove Curse Enchantment 5

Book of Stalking
Sting Conjuration/Poison 1
Sure Blade Enchantment 2
Projected Noise Enchantment 2
Mephitic Cloud Conjuration/Poison/Air 3
Poison Weapon Enchantment/Poison 4
Paralyze Enchantment 4
Invisibility Enchantment 6

Book of Wizardry
Detect Creatures Divination 2
Summon Elemental Summoning 4
Magic Mapping Divination/Earth 4
Teleport Self Translocation 5
Fireball Conjuration/Fire 6
Identify Divination 6
Haste Enchantment 6

Book of Power
Animate Dead Necromancy 4
Teleport Other Translocation 4
Venom Bolt Conjuration/Poison 5
Bolt of Iron Conjuration/Earth 6
Invisibility Enchantment 6
Mass Confusion Enchantment 6
Poisonous Cloud Conjuration/Poison/Air 6

Monster Manual ("Book of Beasts")
Summon Small Mammals Summoning 1
Sticks to Snakes Transmigration/Summoning 2
Detect Creatures Divination 2
Call Canine Familiar Summoning 3
Tame Beasts Enchantment 5
Dragon Form Fire/Transmigration 8

Minor Magic I
Magic Dart Conjuration 1
Summon Small Mammals Summoning 1
Throw Flame Conjuration/Fire 2
Blink Translocation 2
Slow Enchantment 3
Mephitic Cloud Conjuration/Poison/Air 3
Conjure Flame Conjuration/Fire 3

Minor Magic II
Magic Dart Conjuration 1
Throw Frost Conjuration/Ice 2
Blink Translocation 2
Sticks to Snakes Transmigration/Summoning 2
Slow Enchantment 3
Mephitic Cloud Conjuration/Poison/Air 3
Ozocubu's Armour Enchantment/Ice 3

Minor Magic III
Magic Dart Conjuration 1
Summon Small Mammals Summoning 1
Blink Translocation 2
Repel Missiles Enchantment/Air 2
Slow Enchantment 3
Call Canine Familiar Summoning 3
Mephitic Cloud Conjuration/Poison/Air 3

Book of Surveyances
Detect Secret Doors Divination 1
Detect Traps Divination 2
Detect Items Divination 2
Magic Mapping Divination/Earth 4

Book of Divinations
Detect Secret Doors Divination 1
Detect Creatures Divination 2
Detect Items Divination 2
Detect Curse Divination 3
See Invisible Enchantment/Divination 4
Forescry Divination 5
Identify Divination 6

Book of Conjurations I (Fire and Earth)
Magic Dart Conjuration 1
Throw Flame Conjuration/Fire 2
Stone Arrow Conjuration/Earth 3
Conjure Flame Conjuration/Fire 3
Bolt of Magma Conjuration/Fire/Earth 5
Fireball Conjuration/Fire 6

Book of Conjurations II (Air and Ice)
Magic Dart Conjuration 1
Throw Frost Conjuration/Ice 2
Mephitic Cloud Conjuration/Poison/Air 3
Static Discharge Conjuration/Air 4
Bolt of Cold Conjuration/Ice 5
Freezing Cloud Conjuration/Ice/Air 7

Book of Clouds
Evaporate Fire/Transmigration 2
Mephitic Cloud Conjuration/Poison/Air 3
Conjure Flame Conjuration/Fire 3
Poisonous Cloud Conjuration/Poison/Air 6
Freezing Cloud Conjuration/Ice/Air 7

Book of the Tempests
Static Discharge Conjuration/Air 4
Lightning Bolt Conjuration/Air 6
Fireball Conjuration/Fire 6
Shatter Transmigration/Earth 9

Book of Annihilations (Vehumet special)
Iskenderun's Mystic Blast Conjuration 4
Poison Arrow Conjuration/Poison 6
Orb of Electrocution Conjuration/Air 7
Lehudib's Crystal Spear Conjuration/Earth 8
Ice Storm Conjuration/Ice 9
Fire Storm Conjuration/Fire 9

Book of Hinderance
Confusing Touch Enchantment 1
Slow Enchantment 3
Confuse Enchantment 3
Paralyze Enchantment 4

Book of Tukima
Sure Blade Enchantment 2
Tukima's Vorpal Blade Enchantment 2
Tukima's Dance Enchantment 3

Book of Charms
Corona Enchantment 1
Repel Missiles Enchantment/Air 2
Ensorcelled Hibernation Enchantment/Ice 2
Silence Enchantment/Air 3
Confuse Enchantment 3
Enslavement Enchantment 4
Invisibility Enchantment 6

Book of War Chants
Fire Brand Enchantment/Fire 2
Freezing Aura Enchantment/Ice 2
Repel Missiles Enchantment/Air 2
Berserker Rage Enchantment 3
Regeneration Enchantment/Necromancy 3
Haste Enchantment 6

Book of Enchantments
Levitation Enchantment/Air 2
Selective Amnesia Enchantment 3
Remove Curse Enchantment 5
Cause Fear Enchantment 5
Extension Enchantment 5
Deflect Missiles Enchantment/Air 6
Haste Enchantment 6

Book of Control
Enslavement Enchantment 4
Tame Beasts Enchantment 5
Mass Confusion Enchantment 6
Control Undead Enchantment/Necromancy 6
Control Teleport Enchantment/Translocation 6
Metabolic Englaciation Enchantment/Ice 7

Book of Callings
Summon Small Mammals Summoning 1
Sticks to Snakes Transmigration/Summoning 2
Call Imp Summoning 3
Summon Elemental Summoning 4
Summon Scorpions Summoning/Poison 4
Summon Ice Beast Ice/Summoning 5

Book of Demonology (Vehumet special)
Abjuration Summoning 3
Recall Summoning/Translocation 3
Call Imp Summoning 3
Summon Demon Summoning 5
Demonic Horde Summoning 6
Summon Greater Demon Summoning 7

Book of Summonings
Abjuration Summoning 3
Recall Summoning/Translocation 3
Call Canine Familiar Summoning 3
Shadow Creatures Summoning 5
Summon Wraiths Necromancy/Summoning 7
Summon Horrible Things Summoning 8

Book of Necromancy
Pain Necromancy 1
Animate Skeleton Necromancy 1
Vampiric Draining Necromancy 3
Regeneration Enchantment/Necromancy 3
Dispel Undead Necromancy 4
Animate Dead Necromancy 4

Book of Death
Corpse Rot Necromancy 2
Bone Shards Necromancy 3
Lethal Infusion Enchantment/Necromancy 2
Agony Necromancy 5
Bolt of Draining Conjuration/Necromancy 6

Book of Unlife
Sublimation of Blood Necromancy 2
Animate Dead Necromancy 4
Twisted Resurrection Necromancy 5
Borgnjor's Revivification Necromancy 6
Simulacrum Ice/Necromancy 7

Necronomicon (Kikubaaqudgha special)
Symbol of Torment Necromancy 6
Control Undead Enchantment/Necromancy 6
Summon Wraiths Necromancy/Summoning 7
Death's Door Enchantment/Necromancy 8
Necromutation Transmigration/Necromancy 8
Death Channel Necromancy 9

Book of Flames
Flame Tongue Conjuration/Fire 1
Throw Flame Conjuration/Fire 2
Conjure Flame Conjuration/Fire 3
Sticky Flame Conjuration/Fire 4
Bolt of Fire Conjuration/Fire 5
Fireball Conjuration/Fire 6

Book of Fire
Evaporate Fire/Transmigration 2
Fire Brand Enchantment/Fire 2
Summon Elemental Summoning 4
Bolt of Magma Conjuration/Fire/Earth 5
Delayed Fireball Fire/Conjuration 7
Ignite Poison Fire/Transmigration 7
Ring of Flames Enchantment/Fire 8

Book of Frost
Freeze Ice 1
Throw Frost Conjuration/Ice 2
Ozocubu's Armour Enchantment/Ice 3
Ice Bolt Conjuration/Ice 4
Summon Ice Beast Ice/Summoning 5
Freezing Cloud Conjuration/Ice/Air 7

Book of Ice
Freezing Aura Enchantment/Ice 2
Ensorcelled Hibernation Enchantment/Ice 2
Condensation Shield Ice/Transmigration 4
Bolt of Cold Conjuration/Ice 5
Ozocubu's Refrigeration Ice 5
Metabolic Englaciation Enchantment/Ice 7
Simulacrum Ice/Necromancy 7

Book of Air
Shock Conjuration/Air 1
Swiftness Enchantment/Air 2
Repel Missiles Enchantment/Air 2
Levitation Enchantment/Air 2
Mephitic Cloud Conjuration/Poison/Air 3
Static Discharge Conjuration/Air 4

Book of the Sky
Silence Enchantment/Air 3
Summon Elemental Summoning 4
Insulation Enchantment/Air 4
Airstrike Air 4
Fly Enchantment/Air 4
Deflect Missiles Enchantment/Air 6
Lightning Bolt Conjuration/Air 6

Book of Geomancy
Sandblast Transmigration/Earth 1
Stoneskin Earth/Transmigration, 2
Passwall Transmigration/Earth 3
Stone Arrow Conjuration/Earth 3
Summon Elemental Summoning 4
Lee's Rapid Deconstruction Transmigration/Earth 5

Book of the Earth ("Book of Earth")
Maxwell's Silver Hammer Enchantment/Earth 2
Magic Mapping Divination/Earth 4
Dig Transmigration/Earth 4
Statue Form Transmigration/Earth 6
Bolt of Iron Conjuration/Earth 6
Tomb of Doroklohe Conjuration/Earth 7
Shatter Transmigration/Earth 9

Young Poisoner's Handbook
Sting Conjuration/Poison 1
Cure Poison Poison 2
Mephitic Cloud Conjuration/Poison/Air 3
Poison Weapon Enchantment/Poison 4
Venom Bolt Conjuration/Poison 5

Book of Envenomations
Spider Form Transmigration/Poison 3
Poison Ammunition Enchantment/Poison 4
Summon Scorpions Summoning/Poison 4
Resist Poison Enchantment/Poison 4
Olgreb's Toxic Radiance Poison 4
Poisonous Cloud Conjuration/Poison/Air 6

Book of Changes
Fulsome Distillation Transmigration/Necromancy 1
Sticks to Snakes Transmigration/Summoning 2
Evaporate Fire/Transmigration 2
Spider Form Transmigration/Poison 3
Statue Form Transmigration/Earth 6
Ice Form Ice/Transmigration 4
Dig Transmigration/Earth 4
Blade Hands Transmigration 5

Book of Transfigurations
Sandblast Transmigration/Earth 1
Polymorph Other Transmigration 5
Statue Form Transmigration/Earth 6
Alter Self Transmigration 7
Dragon Form Fire/Transmigration 8

Book of Morphology ("Book of Mutations")
Lee's Rapid Deconstruction Transmigration/Earth 5
Polymorph Other Transmigration 5
Alter Self Transmigration 7
Cigotuvi's Degeneration Transmigration/Necromancy 5
Shatter Transmigration/Earth 9

Book of Spatial Translocations
Apportation Translocation 1
Blink Translocation 2
Recall Summoning/Translocation 3
Teleport Other Translocation 4
Teleport Self Translocation 5
Control Teleport Enchantment/Translocation 6

Book of the Warp
Controlled Blink Translocation 4
Banishment Translocation 5
Dispersal Translocation 7
Portal Translocation 8

Tome of Destruction
Contains no spells to memorize, but will instead produce a random
destructive spell effect when read. (Asks for confirmation on
whether you want to read it.)

-------- end spoiler

Does the Tome of Destruction use mana?

--
Tina the Spellbinder - a High Priest of the Readjusting Nimble Gore

> Book of Surveyances
> Detect Secret Doors Divination 1
> Detect Traps Divination 2
> Detect Items Divination 2
> Magic Mapping Divination/Earth 4
>
> Book of Divinations
> Detect Secret Doors Divination 1
> Detect Creatures Divination 2
> Detect Items Divination 2
> Detect Curse Divination 3
> See Invisible Enchantment/Divination 4
> Forescry Divination 5
> Identify Divination 6
>
> Book of Hinderance
> Confusing Touch Enchantment 1
> Slow Enchantment 3
> Confuse Enchantment 3
> Paralyze Enchantment 4
>
> Book of Enchantments
> Levitation Enchantment/Air 2
* > Selective Amnesia Enchantment 3
> Remove Curse Enchantment 5
> Cause Fear Enchantment 5
> Extension Enchantment 5
> Deflect Missiles Enchantment/Air 6
> Haste Enchantment 6
>
> Book of Spatial Translocations
> Apportation Translocation 1
> Blink Translocation 2
> Recall Summoning/Translocation 3
> Teleport Other Translocation 4
> Teleport Self Translocation 5
> Control Teleport Enchantment/Translocation 6
>
> Book of the Warp
> Controlled Blink Translocation 4
> Banishment Translocation 5
> Dispersal Translocation 7
> Portal Translocation 8

All of these are nearly *required* if you wish to survive the dungeon.
Not every spell is worthy of memorization, though. Memorizing detect
curse, identify, dig, haste, blink, recall, levitation, and the biggie
-- Selective Amnesia -- are all required for your best chances of
survival. Also, Selective Amnesia can always be learnt, so don't worry
about it taking up a space in your character's spell memory.

Dig, Haste, and Blink/Teleport Self are also the big ones; if you can
memorize these you can out-manouver, out-run, and out-escape *any*
enemy you run into. The tome probably does require mana, too, just
like rods.

Mechanoid <necromancer_90@hotmail.com> screeched:

>> Book of Surveyances
>> Book of Divinations
>> Book of Hinderance
>> Book of Enchantments
>> Book of Spatial Translocations
>> Book of the Warp

> All of these are nearly *required* if you wish to survive the
> dungeon.

Nonsense. The Book of Hindrance has no spell that I ever found all
that useful, and none of the others have any that even come close to
_must have_ spells. They're ego-spells, if anything.

> Not every spell is worthy of memorization, though. Memorizing
> detect curse, identify,

There are plenty of scrolls for those.

> dig,

There's a wand that does that nicely, for example.

> haste,

Wands, potions... Besides, Haste isn't all that good to cast
often... You tend to rip sub-atomic particles out of their native
environment moving that fast (or being out of phase, as with
Invisibility), and with enough of them absorbed, you start glowing,
prettily but with an unhealthy greenish-purple sheen to it.

> blink,

Was never much use to me, I'd rather learn some other spell...

> recall,

Not every spellcaster has his own zoo following him around, and if
you're a necromancer, your god will provide the ability to recall
your undead slaves.

> levitation,

There are artifacts (often weapons that can be switched quickly, or
a nifty ring) providing that easily, without using up spell points.

> and the biggie -- Selective Amnesia -- are all required for your
> best chances of survival.

Sif Muna provides you with the Forget Spell ability.

> Also, Selective Amnesia can always be learnt,

Not true, you need to be able to learn it skill/int-wise just like
any other spell, and then there's the problem of casting it...

> so don't worry about it taking up a space in your character's
> spell memory.

When you don't have the points, you can't learn it, either. Who's
ever had all actual spell-slots filled!?

> Dig, Haste, and Blink/Teleport Self are also the big ones;

What, did someone steal all the tons of teleport scrolls from your
dungeon, and the not too rare wands of teleport, too? No rings,
either?

> if you can memorize these you can out-manouver, out-run, and out
> -escape *any* enemy you run into.

In your dreams. In truth, you'll end up forgetting to breathe while
you're starving quickly due to lack of greens, if you don't just
collapse under your badly deformed body-weight, while randomly
teleporting around into ever new but ever so slightly familiar
territory, which you can't quite make out, which makes you so
furious that you claw at anything that - quite wisely - thinks your
fragile shape is easy prey. Not that you'll be able to cast any more
Haste, due to being dopey, or run fast, due to being overburdened
from weakness, or even fight back, due to being clumsy.

Blink will just land you in the middle of the horde, but they won't
like you despite horns and hooves.

Better not take that picnic in Chernobyl(sp?) in the first place.

> The tome probably does require mana, too, just like rods.

I'd rather have an answer from someone with some idea what he's
talking about, rather than a guess from someone so glaringly
uninformed. From what I saw, this isn't the first time you post mis-
information, but blessedly, through the other gate I only saw the
replies by others. <sigh> The only bad thing from this switch is
updating the filter...

--
Tina the Changer - an Elder of the Removable Negative Grit

necromancer_90@hotmail.com (Mechanoid) writes:

[Bunch of spellbooks]
>All of these are nearly *required* if you wish to survive the dungeon.

Funny that I, for example, have won the game with characters that didn't
cast a single spell...

-Jukka
--
Jukka Kuusisto

In article <6f06b1ee.0405031637.65656403@posting.google.com>,
Mechanoid <necromancer_90@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Also, Selective Amnesia can always be learnt, so don't worry
>about it taking up a space in your character's spell memory.

To clarify here: you still need to have 3 spell levels available. The
only different thing about Sel3ective Amnesia is that there's a
hard-coded limit on the maximum number of spells you can have learned at
one time, and Selective Amnesia can be memorised even if you have
reached that limit. The limit's pretty high, though, so it's unlikely to
pop up in practise.

--
Mark Mackey
The Association for the Advancement of Dungeon Crawling

"Tina Hall" <Tina_Hall@kruemel.org> wrote in message
> Mechanoid <necromancer_90@hotmail.com> screeched:
>
> >> Book of Surveyances
> >> Book of Divinations
> >> Book of Hinderance
> >> Book of Enchantments
> >> Book of Spatial Translocations
> >> Book of the Warp
>
> > All of these are nearly *required* if you wish to survive the
> > dungeon.
>
> Nonsense. The Book of Hindrance has no spell that I ever found all
> that useful, and none of the others have any that even come close to
> _must have_ spells. They're ego-spells, if anything.

Paralyze can be ok early, if you're a wimp in combat and don't have any way
to zap undead. But that's in a couple other books. I guess people like
Confusing Touch for unarmed fighters, too. Most of the things that it'd be
worth slowing (fast snakes and frogs, bees) are susceptible to Ensorcelled
Hibernation, which seems to me more useful.

Obviously there's not really such thing as a "must-have" spell. I think
Deflect Missiles comes closest (but you can get that from a rod). Without
recourse to rods, I think Detect Creatures, Detect Traps, and Magic Mapping
(save the scrolls for Pandemonium) are all worth sinking a bunch of
experience into to be able to cast, but you'll probably cast them as soon
as you come down the stairs and you're unsurrounded, so there's not much
point getting them beyond "fair."

If you're an evoker or fighter, Silence can be a big help (particularly in
the Tomb and at the bottom of the Elven Halls), and isn't too high level.

<snip>

> Wands, potions... Besides, Haste isn't all that good to cast
> often... You tend to rip sub-atomic particles out of their native
> environment moving that fast (or being out of phase, as with
> Invisibility), and with enough of them absorbed, you start glowing,
> prettily but with an unhealthy greenish-purple sheen to it.

I never learn Haste (there are enough potions, and it's more helpful to
fighters, anyway... so just worship Okawaru). But I don go invisible a lot
with my Spriggans. Just rest a few hundred turns after everything's been
stabbed. Same thing should work for Haste. (A ring of invisibility or
Cloak of Darkness are also nice, since you can turn visible at will, and
avoid a few turns of magic contamination).

> > blink,
>
> Was never much use to me, I'd rather learn some other spell...

Controlled Blink is more useful. I'd rather just wait for teleportation to
kick in than blink around uncontrolled for several castings.

> > and the biggie -- Selective Amnesia -- are all required for your
> > best chances of survival.
>
> Sif Muna provides you with the Forget Spell ability.

I usually learn Selective Amnesia anyway, just to keep the piety. But it's
certainly not "must have."

<snip>

> Better not take that picnic in Chernobyl(sp?) in the first place.
>
> > The tome probably does require mana, too, just like rods.
>
> I'd rather have an answer from someone with some idea what he's
> talking about, rather than a guess from someone so glaringly
> uninformed. From what I saw, this isn't the first time you post mis-
> information, but blessedly, through the other gate I only saw the
> replies by others. <sigh> The only bad thing from this switch is
> updating the filter...

I'm pretty sure the tome doesn't use mana, but I can't check at the moment.
There's one for sale in my current game (Spriggan Stalker in the Vaults;
done the Snake Pits and Elven Halls, and am eyeing the bottom level. I've
been trying to get Transmigrations and Fire up to learn Ignite Poison and,
eventually, Dragon Form, just to try out the Toxic Radiance/Ignite Posion
duo, but it's slow going. And I've never learned Dragon Form before, so I
want to give it a try). Anyway, if I've got money to burn, I'll check.
I've only used one two or three times, but they don't seem to be worth the
trouble.

--Jeremey

Loonie

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2001

Tina Hall .-- .-. --- - . ---...

> Nonsense. The Book of Hindrance has no spell that I ever found all
> that useful, and none of the others have any that even come close to
> _must have_ spells. They're ego-spells, if anything.

While agreeing with you on rather small usefulness overall (except
Confusing Touch that is a great thing for unarmed fighter), enchantments
are not bad choice until some mid-game at least. If needed it doesn't hurt
much to cast i.e. Slow twice, as the effect is worthy the effort. I liked
especially SpEn putting monsters to sleep and wake up by stabbing a nice
dagger just in the small naked skin patch between the scales. And don't
forget that Sif Muna protects from side-effects, I'm not sure if it's
covers magic contamination also, but would be a nice reason to worship her
(and cast a lot of haste, invisibility and controlled teleportation without
being worried about Geiger ticking). I should give it a try today.

>> if you can memorize these you can out-manouver, out-run, and out
>> -escape *any* enemy you run into.
> In your dreams. In truth, you'll end up forgetting to breathe while
> you're starving quickly due to lack of greens, if you don't just
> collapse under your badly deformed body-weight, while randomly
> teleporting around into ever new but ever so slightly familiar
> territory, which you can't quite make out, which makes you so
> furious that you claw at anything that - quite wisely - thinks your
> fragile shape is easy prey. Not that you'll be able to cast any more
> Haste, due to being dopey, or run fast, due to being overburdened
> from weakness, or even fight back, due to being clumsy.
> Blink will just land you in the middle of the horde, but they won't
> like you despite horns and hooves.
> Better not take that picnic in Chernobyl(sp?) in the first place.

ROTFL. :))) This piece of literature is worth small Pulitzer price (as I
don't dispose of any big once at the moment).

--
Loonie
---------------------------------------

Jukka Kuusisto <jkuusist@cc.hut.fi> barked:
> necromancer_90@hotmail.com (Mechanoid) writes:

> [Bunch of spellbooks]
>> All of these are nearly *required* if you wish to survive the
>> dungeon.

> Funny that I, for example, have won the game with characters that
> didn't cast a single spell...

"AOL." I assumed he was talking about just spellcasters, not also
fighters, or it'd have made even less sense...

I think I might have tried to cast a spell with the HDGl, and had
problems getting rid of it with Selective Amnesia again (might have
been some other characer, though), but the HaTh definitely never
even knew one spell...

--
Tina the Trapper - the Champion of the Reconstructing Nebulous Gentleman

Loonie <loonie2@tlen.pl> whined:
> Tina Hall .-- .-. --- - . ---...

>> Nonsense. The Book of Hindrance has no spell that I ever found
>> all that useful, and none of the others have any that even come
>> close to _must have_ spells. They're ego-spells, if anything.

> While agreeing with you on rather small usefulness overall
> (except Confusing Touch that is a great thing for unarmed
> fighter), enchantments are not bad choice until some mid-game at
> least.

They aren't required, though. Handy, but not necessariy. What I
meant by 'ego-spells'. You can do without them, and not worrying
about armour/weapon hindering your spellcasting ability, and can
concentrate on raising Str, instead of trying to get just a little
bit better by raising an otherwise acceptable Int.

There is a role that is made to be an Enchanter-Fighter, Crusader,
which I found quite difficult to play. So in my experience, it can
actually make the game harder rather than easier...

Same with Reavers and offensive spells. And a straight Thief proved
to be easier than a Stalker, too.

> If needed it doesn't hurt much to cast i.e. Slow twice, as
> the effect is worthy the effort. I liked especially SpEn putting
> monsters to sleep and wake up by stabbing a nice dagger just in
> the small naked skin patch between the scales.

I thought Stabbing didn't benefit from paralyzed monsters because
that'd be unfair or something.

Besides, an Enchanter is a spellcaster specified in enchantments...

> And don't forget that Sif Muna protects from side-effects, I'm not
> sure if it's covers magic contamination also,

I doubt Sif Muna has anything to do with whether multiple Haste/
Invisibility, from wand or spell or potion, makes you glow. As far
as I understood it, she only protects from mist-cast effects. What
happens after a successful cast is your problem...

--
Tina the Halberdier - a High Priest of the Raiding Nuts Galaxy

Jeremey Wilson <noaddressgiven@yahoo.com> moaned:
> "Tina Hall" <Tina_Hall@kruemel.org> wrote

>> The Book of Hindrance has no spell that I ever found all that
>> useful, and none of the others have any that even come close to
>> _must have_ spells. They're ego-spells, if anything.

> Paralyze can be ok early, if you're a wimp in combat and don't
> have any way to zap undead.

Early on, I doubt it'd be all that successful (either because you
can't cast it, or because the monster simply resists).

> I guess people like Confusing Touch for unarmed fighters, too.

There's nothing wrong with liking any spell, it's the silly
assumption that the game can't be won without these spells that's
nonsense...

How many unarmed fighters are there that aren't a Berserker or
Crusader or have better spells against monsters?

Berserker - Trog would object.
Crusader - Fighter/Enchanter, so that's his job anyway.

> Most of the things that it'd be worth slowing (fast snakes and
> frogs, bees) are susceptible to Ensorcelled Hibernation, which
> seems to me more useful.

Slow doesn't need Ice Magic, though, but instead of Slow or
Ensorcelled Hibernation, I'd prefer a more direct approach, like
Call Canine Familiar, Stone Arrow, Vampiric Draining, Sticks to
Snakes, Throw Flame, Throw Frost, or something more generally useful
like Regeneration, Mephitic Cloud, Evaporate, Corpse Rot,
Sublimation of Blood, Swiftness, Stoneskin, or even some temporary
weapon brand.

> Obviously there's not really such thing as a "must-have" spell.

Something to get rid of monsters when you're just a frail
spellcaster is pretty much a 'must-have'. Slowing them down or
running away won't get rid of them, it'll just give you time to
prepare better for the next encounter. You can't just leave _all_
mosters behind.

> I think Deflect Missiles comes closest (but you can get that from
> a rod). Without recourse to rods, I think Detect Creatures,

Detect Creatures is mainly an ego-spell, IMO. You don't need it, but
it's comfortable to have. Similar with Regeneration, Swiftness,
Levitation and such.

> Detect Traps,

You could just train the Traps&Doors skill for that.

> and Magic Mapping (save the scrolls for Pandemonium)

I forgot which version didn't work in Pandemonium. I had two
abilities, afair, one from an item, the other from a mutation, and
one of them refused to work, the other did. Spells don't work,
either?

> If you're an evoker or fighter, Silence can be a big help
> (particularly in the Tomb and at the bottom of the Elven Halls),
> and isn't too high level.

That's one spell I want to try one day. How will it help in the
Tomb? You will still have to have something _else_ (preferably)
that'll get rid of the mummies...

> But I don go invisible a lot with my Spriggans. Just rest a few
> hundred turns after everything's been stabbed.

Don't see what good invisibility is. In the places I'd find it
useful, most monsters can see invisible...

Besides, during that rest you use up nutrition...

> (A ring of invisibility or Cloak of Darkness are also nice, since
> you can turn visible at will, and avoid a few turns of magic
> contamination).

Why shouldn't you get contaminated by using something other than a
spell?

>>> blink,
>>
>> Was never much use to me, I'd rather learn some other spell...

> Controlled Blink is more useful.

Yep. That's a nifty spell.

> I'd rather just wait for teleportation to kick in than blink
> around uncontrolled for several castings.

Tried that (several blinks) once. Was my then most successful
character:

9. 196695 Sharee the Naga Wizard (level 18, -16/118 HPs)
Killed from afar by a quicksilver dragon on Dungeon Level 16.

As you see, it didn't do any good.

> I usually learn Selective Amnesia anyway, just to keep the piety.

Keeping Piety with Sif Muna isn't all that hard, and what else do
you get out of it? Sooner or later you have all books anyway. (I'm
currently still missing two Minor Magic books, but that's all.
Checked that, because by now I'd like to switch to Vehumet...)

> I'm pretty sure the tome doesn't use mana, but I can't check at
> the moment.

Once I'm back at my stash, I'll just try with my copy. :) (I'm still
a little lost on where to go, that's why I've not been playing the
last days... Hell's scary, despite all my Horribly friendly Things.)

> There's one for sale in my current game (Spriggan Stalker in the
> Vaults; done the Snake Pits and Elven Halls, and am eyeing the
> bottom level.

What about the Swamp?

Good luck!

> I've been trying to get Transmigrations and Fire up to learn
> Ignite Poison and, eventually, Dragon Form, just to try out the
> Toxic Radiance/Ignite Posion duo, but it's slow going.

<g>
Good luck with that, too.

[Tome of Destruction]
> I've only used one two or three times, but they don't seem to be
> worth the trouble.

I agree.

--
Tina the Devastator - an Elder of the Remarkably National Gardener

Tina Hall wrote:
> Loonie <loonie2@tlen.pl> whined:

<snip>

>>If needed it doesn't hurt much to cast i.e. Slow twice, as
>>the effect is worthy the effort. I liked especially SpEn putting
>>monsters to sleep and wake up by stabbing a nice dagger just in
>>the small naked skin patch between the scales.
>

> I thought Stabbing didn't benefit from paralyzed monsters because
> that'd be unfair or something.

Paralyze is a different effect than sleep. Sleep returns them to the
unaware state, paralyze prevents them from acting for a short period of
time.

Graeme Dice
--
"Discworld is based on a slew of old myths, which reach
their most 'refined' form in Hindu mythology,

Loonie

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2001

Jeremey Wilson .-- .-. --- - . ---...

> Most of the things that it'd be
> worth slowing (fast snakes and frogs, bees) are susceptible to Ensorcelled
> Hibernation, which seems to me more useful.

The problem is that when slow finally worked it works for some time, when
Hybernation finally work it could not last enough to do the stabbing, you
have to be just near the monster and even then it's not guaranteed that it
will not wake up the same turn - before your character will draw, sharpen
and oil the blade.

--
Loonie
---------------------------------------
Respondit Pilatus quod scripsi scripsi.
http://www.crawl.iconrate.net/melee.php

Loonie

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2001

Jeremey Wilson .-- .-. --- - . ---...

>> Weapons "of protection" are not artifacts but ego items and they have
>> +5AC
>> by default. Good thing is that ego items can be enchanted.
> Its description is
> W - the +6,+5 blowgun of the Gods
> A long, light tube, open at both ends. Doing very little damage, its
> main use is to fire poisoned needles from afar. It makes very little
> noise.
> It protects the one who wields it against injury (+5 to AC).
> It affects your AC (+5).
> It affects your intelligence (+2).
>
> So I might have the nomenclature wrong, but I'm sure it's an artifact.

No, you are right, I've read it as it was "blowgun of protection", but it's
artifact in fact. BTW never seen such AC bonus, even for armour. :)

> That's kinda what I thought. Did the Swamp, and didn't get a hide from any
> of those dragons, either. This is Karmic payback for that ring I found,
> probably.

There should be some dragons in lower dungeon (not that you should be very
happy about that ;-).

>> You've tried Ignite Poison on what kind of creatures?
>
> Mostly on the Vault Guards after I Toxic Radianced them. And on a spiny
> worm, which I believe have a poison attack. I forgot it after that. I
> guess it could be ok for damaging a whole roomful of things, like the
> bottom of the Snake Pit or Swamp, but it's a 7th level spell and doesn't
> seem to do that much damage. Does it work better against certain stuff?

Yeah, from description: "attempts to convert all poison within the caster's
"view into liquid flame. It is very effective against "
"poisonous creatures or those carrying poison potions. "
"It is also an amazingly painful way to eliminate "
"poison from one's own system. ";

It works exclusively against creatures that are poisonous or have poisonous
corpses (but also for any poisonous stuff and clouds of poison). Spiny worm
is such creature, Vault guard not. Not sure about the damage, but it works
against all creatures in sight and description is promising. Alternative
application is to deprive creatures of poison attack if you are short on
resistance.

--
Loonie
---------------------------------------

Loonie wrote:
> Jeremey Wilson .-- .-. --- - . ---...

<snip>

>>Mostly on the Vault Guards after I Toxic Radianced them. And on a spiny
>>worm, which I believe have a poison attack. I forgot it after that. I
>>guess it could be ok for damaging a whole roomful of things, like the
>>bottom of the Snake Pit or Swamp, but it's a 7th level spell and doesn't
>>seem to do that much damage. Does it work better against certain stuff?
>

> Yeah, from description: "attempts to convert all poison within the caster's
> "view into liquid flame. It is very effective against "
> "poisonous creatures or those carrying poison potions. "
> "It is also an amazingly painful way to eliminate "
> "poison from one's own system. ";
>
> It works exclusively against creatures that are poisonous or have poisonous
> corpses (but also for any poisonous stuff and clouds of poison). Spiny worm
> is such creature, Vault guard not.

That is incorrect. It works against any creature that is poisoned as well.

--
"Science is a wonderful thing if one does not have to earn one's
living at it."

Loonie

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2001

Graeme Dice .-- .-. --- - . ---...

>> Yeah, from description: "attempts to convert all poison within the caster's
>> "view into liquid flame. It is very effective against "
>> "poisonous creatures or those carrying poison potions. "
>> "It is also an amazingly painful way to eliminate "
>> "poison from one's own system. ";
>>
>> It works exclusively against creatures that are poisonous or have poisonous
>> corpses (but also for any poisonous stuff and clouds of poison). Spiny worm
>> is such creature, Vault guard not.
>
> That is incorrect. It works against any creature that is poisoned as well.

Ok, I missed that one. :)
I wonder if it is worthy poisoning monsters first and igniting poison
after.

--
Loonie