slot 1 vs socket 370

G

i am confused....what is the difference in matters of performance between slot 1 and socket 370 in ..lets say a PIII 1GHZ processor...the latter is much more expensive...???
forgive my ignorance.....

Arrow

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Intel switched from making Slot 1 processors to Socket 370 because it's cheaper for them to produce. Most of the time, it will mean cheaper prices for consumers too - but in your case, it's a little weird. The Socket 370 is the newer one, and if you're getting a new processor, you should get that one (unless if you're using an old motherboard only supporting Slot 1). There is no performance difference between the two.

Rob
Please visit <b><A HREF="http://www.ncix.com/shop/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048" target="_new">http://www.ncix.com/shop/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048</A></b>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
In a little more depth-at one time it was CHEAPER for Intel to put the CACHE on the card intead of the chip, because fast cache technology was very expensive to implement. But improved manufacturing technology allowed them to put full speed cache on the chip, saving them the expense of the cards. Now the Slot 1 PIII is a bastardized version of the Socket 370 with a factory adaptor, it actually has a socket type processor soldered on and not much else. The socket version has a shorter data path, which does hold some tiny advantage, as seen with Intel anouncing that the FC-PGA PIII 1GHz is SMP compatable but the Slot 1 version is not. Because of the extra parts and labor, the Slot 1 is more expensive and has no advatages over the cheaper Socket 370.

Suicide is painless...........

G

as seen with Intel anouncing that the FC-PGA PIII 1GHz is SMP compatable but the Slot 1 version is not

What? What? I didn't hear this! So Slot 1 is limited to 933???

I came close to buying a dual slot 1 board to save a little money, but decided to wait an get the i840 socket board. I guess I lucked out!

--ya, I know, but think of the bragging rights which 4 digits bring

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Yes, I got the link to an Intel statement from someone else in the forum a while ago. It might have something to do with the circuits on the card working like miniature transmitter/receiver antennas, causing EMF induced errors. That would be my guess, unless someone else wants to take a shot at what the problem might have been.

Suicide is painless...........

jclw

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I have three PIII slot 1 (SECC2) processors and they work just great. I don't have any FC-PGA chips to compare them with, but I would doubt there is much speed difference if any. They are a little more $$$ (about CDN$10 more).

- JW