New Athlon 800 fried already?

mongoose

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2001
Just plugged in my first system...Athlon T-brd 800 + ABIT KT7A-RAID and the BIOS said "CPU unworkable...check SoftMenu" What happened?

Hey! these are EASY questions....anybody out there?

G

possibly you tried unlocking the bridges and ballsed it up by connecting one or more bridges together. i got a similar warning so i used nail-polish remover to remove the conductive pen (sometimes its handy to be a drag queen), and did it again more carefully this time. oh, but not before breaking the clip on my HSF and ramming a screwdriver into the mobo, but thats just the way it goes sometimes.

oh yeah, i was kidding about the drag queen part.

if you havent modified your chip, possibly the dude who sold it to you did but botched it or something

LEGAL DISCLAIMER: cape does not enable user to fly.

G

Your CPU is NOT fried!!! If it was, it would not even boot and give you a message!

This almost will always be reported on the screen upon the first powering of the motherboard. It has no data about the system configuration stored in the BIOS and needs the be set to save yuor system configuration. You probably should have noticed that the screen said to press DEL to enter Setup, or Press F1 to continue. This should have told you that all was OK by the Continue option. I have three ABIT boards, and all have done that upon the first powering of the system. Go into the BIOS, setup the CPU to the speed you want if you are going to overclock, set your serial ports, printer ports the way you want them, etc.. and SAVE and EXIT. If you want to leave all as the motherboard defaults with, than simply enter the BIOS and SAVE and EXIT immediately to save all default configs. After it resets all should be OK.

mongoose

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2001
I can't get into the SETUP menu. When I get the primary screen with F1 and Del choices, pressing Del gives me a locked up screen with a blinking cursor in the upper left and a 3/4" solid blue bar along the bottom of a black screen. At that point I have no choice but to pwr off. Pressing F1 then does a bunch of system checking on its own and stops at a blank screen with "press a key to reboot". The next keystroke sends me right back to the primary screen (F1 and Del choices).

Hey! these are EASY questions....anybody out there?