Newb Wireless Question

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Hi,

I have a home network using a 4 port wired router which is connected
to the internet. Also connected to the router is a wireless access
point which I use in conjunction with my wireless enabled laptop.

The datasheet for my access point says "DHCP server for up to 100
clients." Now the newb question: Does this mean that up to 100
wireless enabled computers can use the access point (at the same time)
to access the internet (and/or internal network) ?

Sorry to be a numpty, but I can't get my head around this one.

Cheers,
Steve.

joker

It sounds like the router was super netted something none of the
Microsoft routers do. So this is way off topic here.

Well lets look at the name of the newsgroup. It starts with "microsoft"
so that must mean we only talk about Microsoft products. Next it says
"public" so that means any person can post here. Then it says
"broadbandnet" so since this is a Microsoft newsgroup it must be talking
about the Microsoft Broadband Networking. Last but not least it says
"hardware" So that must mean it is the Microsoft hardware for networking
that we talk about.

Thus this is not a general networking newsgroup, but one for the
Microsoft Broadband networking hardware. I'd suggest either posting in
a newsgroup for the hardware you are running, a general networking
newsgroup, or one for whatever version of Windows you are running.

Bob wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a home network using a 4 port wired router which is connected
> to the internet. Also connected to the router is a wireless access
> point which I use in conjunction with my wireless enabled laptop.
>
> The datasheet for my access point says "DHCP server for up to 100
> clients." Now the newb question: Does this mean that up to 100
> wireless enabled computers can use the access point (at the same time)
> to access the internet (and/or internal network) ?
>
> Sorry to be a numpty, but I can't get my head around this one.
>
> Cheers,
> Steve.

assistance.

time.

That would be correct, however, Microsoft's Broadband Networking hardware is
supported here. If you have a specific question regarding other brands of
hardware, for a definitive answer you should asked their support section.
--
Chris H.
Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC

"Bob" <bob_binz@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I have a home network using a 4 port wired router which is connected
> to the internet. Also connected to the router is a wireless access
> point which I use in conjunction with my wireless enabled laptop.
>
> The datasheet for my access point says "DHCP server for up to 100
> clients." Now the newb question: Does this mean that up to 100
> wireless enabled computers can use the access point (at the same time)
> to access the internet (and/or internal network) ?
>
> Sorry to be a numpty, but I can't get my head around this one.
>
> Cheers,
> Steve.

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Oops, really sorry for the misplaced post guys, I just did a Google
search for a networking hardware related group and found this one. I
was too stupid to realize what the group name meant, so thanks for
pointing that out to me, I'll go find the exit.

No problem, Bob. One really good resource for networking is
www.practicallynetworked.com .