detrimental potions

Am I missing something?

I've tried tossing, evoking, wielding (and bashing things with)potions
of poison, confustion, slowing, with nothing to show for it but an
extra gap in the teeth. I don't see dip, or even apply, in the help
files.

can i use potions that would be detrimental to drink on other monsters
(without casting evaporate)?

"Jason Northrup" <jasonnorthrup@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Am I missing something?
>
> I've tried tossing, evoking, wielding (and bashing things with)potions
> of poison, confustion, slowing, with nothing to show for it but an
> extra gap in the teeth. I don't see dip, or even apply, in the help
> files.
>
> can i use potions that would be detrimental to drink on other monsters
> (without casting evaporate)?

You could play Nethack. Otherwise Evaporate is all there is.

--Jeremey

"Jeremey Wilson" <noaddressgiven@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<0uQnc.16124$5D3.9944@newssvr31.news.prodigy.com>...
> "Jason Northrup" <jasonnorthrup@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > Am I missing something?
> >
> > I've tried tossing, evoking, wielding (and bashing things with)potions
> > of poison, confustion, slowing, with nothing to show for it but an
> > extra gap in the teeth. I don't see dip, or even apply, in the help
> > files.
> >
> > can i use potions that would be detrimental to drink on other monsters
> > (without casting evaporate)?
>
> You could play Nethack. Otherwise Evaporate is all there is.
>
> --Jeremey

AFAIK, Jeremey is correct. However, you can drop the potion on the
floor for a slight chance the enemy will pick it up and give you a
slight edge in running away... it may not always work, but it will for
enemies that like to pick things up.

jasonnorthrup@yahoo.com (Jason Northrup) wrote in

> Am I missing something?
>
> I've tried tossing, evoking, wielding (and bashing things with)potions
> of poison, confustion, slowing, with nothing to show for it but an
> extra gap in the teeth. I don't see dip, or even apply, in the help
> files.
>
> can i use potions that would be detrimental to drink on other monsters
> (without casting evaporate)?

You wanna hold them open their mounth full of sharp theeth and pour into
them poiton of poison? What if they survive? They would remmember not only
that poison attempt, but also in how nasty way you attempted it. Slice
them, stab them. Especially nice with wizard. He'd miss and they'll nail
him. It would be considerably less suicidal option than this.

--
Kizutsuite 'ta ano hi kara

Raghar <notfor@mail.com> wrote in message news:<Xns94E8BE2C2936Raghar@195.250.128.45>...
> jasonnorthrup@yahoo.com (Jason Northrup) wrote in
>
> > Am I missing something?
> >
> > I've tried tossing, evoking, wielding (and bashing things with)potions
> > of poison, confustion, slowing, with nothing to show for it but an
> > extra gap in the teeth. I don't see dip, or even apply, in the help
> > files.
> >
> > can i use potions that would be detrimental to drink on other monsters
> > (without casting evaporate)?
>
> You wanna hold them open their mounth full of sharp theeth and pour into
> them poiton of poison? What if they survive? They would remmember not only
> that poison attempt, but also in how nasty way you attempted it. Slice
> them, stab them. Especially nice with wizard. He'd miss and they'll nail
> him. It would be considerably less suicidal option than this

I'm sorry you misunderstood; I'm not suggesting that the character
restrain a monster, then pour potions down it's throat. Rather; I'm
suggesting the more reasonable actions already found in other
roguelike(s); for instance, poisoning a weapon with it, or shattering
the potion on the skin or around the respiratory passages of the
monster, leading to some uptake of the potion. Otherwise, it seems to
me that, once identified, the detrimental potions serve no purpose in
the game, for fighters, except to decrease the probability that a
beneficial potion will be generated, or perhaps to be reidentified
later, if forgetfulness/amnesia requires it.

> Raghar <notfor@mail.com> wrote in message

>> You wanna hold them open their mounth full of sharp theeth and pour
>> into them poiton of poison? What if they survive? They would
>> remmember not only that poison attempt, but also in how nasty way you
>> attempted it. Slice them, stab them. Especially nice with wizard.
>> He'd miss and they'll nail him. It would be considerably less
>> suicidal option than this
>
> I'm sorry you misunderstood; I'm not suggesting that the character
> restrain a monster, then pour potions down it's throat. Rather; I'm
> suggesting the more reasonable actions already found in other
> roguelike(s); for instance, poisoning a weapon with it, or shattering
> the potion on the skin or around the respiratory passages of the
> monster, leading to some uptake of the potion. Otherwise, it seems to
> me that, once identified, the detrimental potions serve no purpose in
> the game, for fighters, except to decrease the probability that a
> beneficial potion will be generated, or perhaps to be reidentified
> later, if forgetfulness/amnesia requires it.

Heroes aren't ones that could be fitted into the box. Playing with single
style is just an opinion, and Crawl doesn't enfoce it.

I didn't sugest you would restrain the monster. I imagined how would you
try to apply the poison on living and disagreeing monster.

Basically if Crawl maintainers would add some poison imunisation effect,
you could be able slightly resist poison, if you survived enough potions of
poison.

--
Kizutsuite 'ta ano hi kara

Loonie

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2001

Raghar .-- .-. --- - . ---...

> Basically if Crawl maintainers would add some poison imunisation effect,
> you could be able slightly resist poison, if you survived enough potions of
> poison.

Actually drinking potions of poison is useless, you should find a good
cause to do it. Closer to that idea is drinking potions of booze (etc.),
however the benefits for Crawl character, as I imagine, could be anyway
questionable.
Slight resistance after drinking would require some *temporal*
(depending on past experiences) change of effects caused by the same action
, and it's rather outside of area of interest for most games (action
effects are depending only on *present* parameters like actual values of
skills, stats, god favour, dice roll, etc.).

--
Loonie

Raghar <notfor@mail.com> wrote in message news:<Xns9503F071B628BRaghar@195.250.128.45>...

> Heroes aren't ones that could be fitted into the box. Playing with single
> style is just an opinion, and Crawl doesn't enfoce it.

The box you refer to, in reference to my comment, encompasses all
those PC's unlikely to learn the specific spell "evaporate"; I'll bet
most dungeon crawl heroes fall into this category, as transmuters are
only one class of many.