detrimental potions

Am I missing something?

I've tried tossing, evoking, wielding (and bashing things with)potions
of poison, confustion, slowing, with nothing to show for it but an
extra gap in the teeth. I don't see dip, or even apply, in the help
files.

can i use potions that would be detrimental to drink on other monsters
(without casting evaporate)?
7 answers Last reply
More about detrimental potions
  1. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    "Jason Northrup" <jasonnorthrup@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Am I missing something?
    >
    > I've tried tossing, evoking, wielding (and bashing things with)potions
    > of poison, confustion, slowing, with nothing to show for it but an
    > extra gap in the teeth. I don't see dip, or even apply, in the help
    > files.
    >
    > can i use potions that would be detrimental to drink on other monsters
    > (without casting evaporate)?

    You could play Nethack. Otherwise Evaporate is all there is.

    --Jeremey
  2. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    "Jeremey Wilson" <noaddressgiven@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<0uQnc.16124$5D3.9944@newssvr31.news.prodigy.com>...
    > "Jason Northrup" <jasonnorthrup@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > > Am I missing something?
    > >
    > > I've tried tossing, evoking, wielding (and bashing things with)potions
    > > of poison, confustion, slowing, with nothing to show for it but an
    > > extra gap in the teeth. I don't see dip, or even apply, in the help
    > > files.
    > >
    > > can i use potions that would be detrimental to drink on other monsters
    > > (without casting evaporate)?
    >
    > You could play Nethack. Otherwise Evaporate is all there is.
    >
    > --Jeremey

    AFAIK, Jeremey is correct. However, you can drop the potion on the
    floor for a slight chance the enemy will pick it up and give you a
    slight edge in running away... it may not always work, but it will for
    enemies that like to pick things up.
  3. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    jasonnorthrup@yahoo.com (Jason Northrup) wrote in

    > Am I missing something?
    >
    > I've tried tossing, evoking, wielding (and bashing things with)potions
    > of poison, confustion, slowing, with nothing to show for it but an
    > extra gap in the teeth. I don't see dip, or even apply, in the help
    > files.
    >
    > can i use potions that would be detrimental to drink on other monsters
    > (without casting evaporate)?

    You wanna hold them open their mounth full of sharp theeth and pour into
    them poiton of poison? What if they survive? They would remmember not only
    that poison attempt, but also in how nasty way you attempted it. Slice
    them, stab them. Especially nice with wizard. He'd miss and they'll nail
    him. It would be considerably less suicidal option than this.

    --
    Kizutsuite 'ta ano hi kara
  4. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    Raghar <notfor@mail.com> wrote in message news:<Xns94E8BE2C2936Raghar@195.250.128.45>...
    > jasonnorthrup@yahoo.com (Jason Northrup) wrote in
    >
    > > Am I missing something?
    > >
    > > I've tried tossing, evoking, wielding (and bashing things with)potions
    > > of poison, confustion, slowing, with nothing to show for it but an
    > > extra gap in the teeth. I don't see dip, or even apply, in the help
    > > files.
    > >
    > > can i use potions that would be detrimental to drink on other monsters
    > > (without casting evaporate)?
    >
    > You wanna hold them open their mounth full of sharp theeth and pour into
    > them poiton of poison? What if they survive? They would remmember not only
    > that poison attempt, but also in how nasty way you attempted it. Slice
    > them, stab them. Especially nice with wizard. He'd miss and they'll nail
    > him. It would be considerably less suicidal option than this

    I'm sorry you misunderstood; I'm not suggesting that the character
    restrain a monster, then pour potions down it's throat. Rather; I'm
    suggesting the more reasonable actions already found in other
    roguelike(s); for instance, poisoning a weapon with it, or shattering
    the potion on the skin or around the respiratory passages of the
    monster, leading to some uptake of the potion. Otherwise, it seems to
    me that, once identified, the detrimental potions serve no purpose in
    the game, for fighters, except to decrease the probability that a
    beneficial potion will be generated, or perhaps to be reidentified
    later, if forgetfulness/amnesia requires it.
  5. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    > Raghar <notfor@mail.com> wrote in message

    >> You wanna hold them open their mounth full of sharp theeth and pour
    >> into them poiton of poison? What if they survive? They would
    >> remmember not only that poison attempt, but also in how nasty way you
    >> attempted it. Slice them, stab them. Especially nice with wizard.
    >> He'd miss and they'll nail him. It would be considerably less
    >> suicidal option than this
    >
    > I'm sorry you misunderstood; I'm not suggesting that the character
    > restrain a monster, then pour potions down it's throat. Rather; I'm
    > suggesting the more reasonable actions already found in other
    > roguelike(s); for instance, poisoning a weapon with it, or shattering
    > the potion on the skin or around the respiratory passages of the
    > monster, leading to some uptake of the potion. Otherwise, it seems to
    > me that, once identified, the detrimental potions serve no purpose in
    > the game, for fighters, except to decrease the probability that a
    > beneficial potion will be generated, or perhaps to be reidentified
    > later, if forgetfulness/amnesia requires it.

    Heroes aren't ones that could be fitted into the box. Playing with single
    style is just an opinion, and Crawl doesn't enfoce it.

    I didn't sugest you would restrain the monster. I imagined how would you
    try to apply the poison on living and disagreeing monster.

    Basically if Crawl maintainers would add some poison imunisation effect,
    you could be able slightly resist poison, if you survived enough potions of
    poison.

    --
    Kizutsuite 'ta ano hi kara
  6. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    Raghar .-- .-. --- - . ---...

    > Basically if Crawl maintainers would add some poison imunisation effect,
    > you could be able slightly resist poison, if you survived enough potions of
    > poison.

    Actually drinking potions of poison is useless, you should find a good
    cause to do it. Closer to that idea is drinking potions of booze (etc.),
    however the benefits for Crawl character, as I imagine, could be anyway
    questionable.
    Slight resistance after drinking would require some *temporal*
    (depending on past experiences) change of effects caused by the same action
    , and it's rather outside of area of interest for most games (action
    effects are depending only on *present* parameters like actual values of
    skills, stats, god favour, dice roll, etc.).

    --
    Loonie

    Raghar <notfor@mail.com> wrote in message news:<Xns9503F071B628BRaghar@195.250.128.45>...

    > Heroes aren't ones that could be fitted into the box. Playing with single
    > style is just an opinion, and Crawl doesn't enfoce it.

    The box you refer to, in reference to my comment, encompasses all
    those PC's unlikely to learn the specific spell "evaporate"; I'll bet
    most dungeon crawl heroes fall into this category, as transmuters are
    only one class of many.

Games Video Games