Do thunderbird 1ghz available only in 100mhz?

dusk

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2001
I'm not so clear on this, so maybe someone can help me explain, does it only avaiable at 100mhz cpu bus or is there such a thing as 1ghz tbird cpu at 133mhz?

G

I have not seen the actual documention being released on AMD's site yet for the 133mhz spec'd CPU's. I believe AMD will release a 1Ghz at 133mhz FSB, as well as a 1133mhz/1200mhz/1333mhz TBird Core CPU's. When the Palamino releases it should start at 1.4Ghz and take off where the TBird stops with the 133mhz FSB, but that is all to be seen as of yet. But as far as the CPU's go, I have my 1.2Ghz CPU, which is a "B" model at 100mhz FSB, running at 1333mhz, 10x133mhz FSB with no problems. My Duron 700 and TBird 900 will also run at 133mhz FSB and above with no problem. So don't wait for AMD to release the "C" 133mhz FSB spec'd CPU's, as all will run at that speed I have seen so far.

dusk

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2001
You mention your 1.2ghz cpu a 100mhz..I suppose that your default for the CPU has multiplier 12x100=1.2ghz? When you run at 1333mhz, correct me if i'm wrong, you downclock your multiplier to 10 and raise the fsb from 100 to 133 mhz fsb...pls correct me if i'm wrong.

G

thats the way the math works.. overall Mhz is fsb*multiplier... 100*12 = 1.2 Ghz 133*10 = 1.33Ghz... at least that sounds right :)

-AMD's are not for the faint of heart... Intels? those are for newbies :eek:)-

Diesel

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
hey dxkj, i'm thinking about going ahead and ordering myself a 1.2 athlon-b instead of waiting for the C and will be running it on my KT7A-RAID, but am worried about overclocking... can i run it at 9*133 for approx the origional 1.2ghz? I've never overclocked and want a QUIET setup without alot of noisy cooling fans... Or will a 1.2 B run at your 1.33ghz without getting hotter than running at it's origional specs? Also, what's the quietest Heatsink/Fan combo that will fit on a KT7a-RAID that will get me the best cooling? thanks!

G

its a smart move to get the 1.2 ghz tbird B instead of C... there really is no difference and the B comes unlocked at 1.2 usually. If you're worried about it being too hot, if you have it at the 133*9 you should be fine with normal cooling. There were a number of heatsinks reviewed recently on Tom's, I'd check that review out for quietest HSF combos.. just search through past articles...... you should be able to bump it up a little if you get a decent fan, without heat being a big problem. If it starts to lose stability, just drop it back down..

Diesel

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
cool thanks, yeah i've heard that the 1.2 usually comes unlocked but is there any way i can be sure when i order (probabaly off of pricewatch)? Also the only HSF review i can find is the "December 11, 2000 - Lord Kryo Puts His Hands on 17 Coolers" review in the CPU guide, is this the article you are referring to? ...for some reason i think i remembered a seperate article other than this one... thanks again! :)

- Brian

G

Yeah. that's the article

Sojourn

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
For cooling you can also check out <A HREF="http://www.2cooltek.com" target="_new">www.2cooltek.com</A>. It has some performance reviews for CPU and case coolers. I've found that case fans are as important as a good CPU fan. I've got the GlobalWin FOP-38 (sounds like a jet engine, not a 'quiet' solution) that kept my CPU at 40-41C when the case is open, but that popped up to 50C when I closed it up. I installed a few more case fans and brought it down to 45C when closed. So with a decently quiet CPU fan, you'll still want to insure you have good airflow through your case, since closing it up covers up quite a bit of the noise. Mine is a 1.2GHz 'B' Athlon at 1266MHz (133*9.5) stable, shipped unlocked.

/Athlon-1.2GHz@1266MHz(133MHz*9.5)/Asus_A7V133/

G

Didn't I read somewere a while ago about a store that sold AMD's unlocked and garenteed to reach a specific o/c speed.

I think the articale was about AMD getting mad at them... maybe they are still around ?