My first escape with the orb! I started playing Crawl in February and
have mostly played Minotaur Berserkers as I seem to have the best luck
with them. This was my first character to get any rune except for the
swamp one, first visit to the vaults, hall of blades, hell,
pandemonium, the abyss, and even any dungeon level below about 17 or
so, much less Zot. Had some close calls at the bottom of the Vaults
(an ancient Lich and some 1's I wasn't expecting), deep into Dis (hard
to rest and heal with monsters constantly appearing and my body
wracked with pain) and after I got the Orb (I wanted to finish mapping
the level, but got surrounded by an orb of fire, a Killer Klown, and a
couple of dragons - I decided discretion was the better part of valor
and left). Found a bunch of scrolls of acquirement, got my gloves,
boots, cap, rod of discovery, and a couple amulets that way. Other
than that, fairly straightforward, just ran around and hacked stuff
up, then I found some rods and starting shooting bolts of fire and
inaccuracy for a change of pace, then went back to chopping. Here's
the dump:

Dungeon Crawl version 4.0.0 beta 26 character file.

Are you sure you want to leave the Dungeon?
[Y]es or [N]o only, please.
Are you sure you want to leave the Dungeon?
You have escaped!

#.'...##.#.......#
###...##.#...)...#
##...##.#.......#
## #.......#.....###
..# #.......#.....#
..#######.......#.)...#
..'.............#..#'##
..#############.#..#.#
## #.#@##.#
##########.#>...#
#............#####
#.########...)...#
#.# #######.#
#.# #.#
#.# #.#
#.# #.#
#.# ####.#

Tor the Axe Maniac (Minotaur)
(Level 26 Berserker)

-- My previous best player was level 14 or so.

Play time: 16:24:16 Number of turns: 107026

-- Actually took me about a month and a half of short sessions. Just
playing a little at a time probably helped me survive.

Experience : 26/1123710
Strength 30 Dexterity 16 Intelligence 8
Hit Points : 268 Magic Points : 35
AC : 42 Evasion : 15 Shield : 0
GP : 2679

You escaped.
You worship Trog.
Trog is exalted by your worship.
You are full.

Inventory:
Hand weapons
a - a +6,+6 orcish broad axe of flaming (1066 gold)
-- For Hydras, and just to use enchant weapon scrolls on

b - the +6,+4 executioner's axe of Feasting (weapon) (1619 gold)
It poisons the flesh of those it strikes.
It affects your strength (+4).
It affects your dexterity (-3).
It protects you from cold.
It makes you much more stealthy.
It prevents spellcasting.
-- My main weapon

c - the +4,+6 war axe of Ijyp Tecely (698 gold)
It protects you from fire.
It insulates you from electricity.
It lets you levitate.
-- For storm dragons and electric golems

Armour
A - a +6 banded mail of cold resistance (worn) (2179 gold)
-- Found it this way. Never found any dragon armor or any interesting
artifact body armor.

B - a +2 pair of boots of running (worn) (245 gold)
C - a +2 cloak of preservation (worn) (191 gold)
G - a +2 pair of gloves of strength (worn) (201 gold)
H - a +2 cap of see invisible (worn) (272 gold)

<snip food, wands, scrolls>

Jewellery
j - an amulet of the gourmand (245 gold)
k - a ring of life protection (420 gold)
q - a ring of sustenance (175 gold)
s - an amulet of resist slowing (210 gold)
x - a cursed amulet of the gourmand (175 gold)
E - an amulet of resist corrosion (210 gold)
F - an amulet of resist mutation (around neck) (210 gold)
J - a ring of sustain abilities (175 gold)
K - the cursed ring of Ykovalytevy (658 gold)
This ring increases or decreases the physical strength of its
wearer, to a
degree dependent on its power.
It affects your strength (+6).
It affects your intelligence (+4).
It has a curse placed upon it.
L - a ring of levitation (210 gold)
N - a +6 ring of evasion (right hand) (490 gold)
P - the ring of Power (left hand) (665 gold)
This ring either protects its wearer from harm or makes them more
vulnerable to injury, to a degree dependent on its power.
It affects your AC (+4).
It protects you from fire.
It protects you from magic.
It lets you sense your surroundings.

Q - a ring of teleport control (294 gold)
S - the amulet of Death's Door (511 gold)
This amulet protects its wearer from some forms of mental
confusion.
It affects your AC (+4).
It affects your evasion (+7).
It makes you much less stealthy.
-- Found in Zot, never used

Potions
t - a potion of heal wounds (30 gold)
w - 6 potions of cure mutation (900 gold)
y - 2 potions of healing (40 gold)
T - 3 potions of restore abilities (150 gold)
Magical staves
e - a rod of destruction (250 gold)
-- Bolt of Inaccuracy

g - a rod of destruction (250 gold)
-- Bolt of Fire, Fireball

n - a rod of discovery (150 gold)
Orbs of Power
V - the Orb of Zot (250000 gold)
Miscellaneous
o - an abyssal rune of Zot (10000 gold)
-- Sent to the abyss from Dis:4, not sure why. Uneventful trip, just
ran around and killed stuff until I found a portal back.

v - 2 demonic runes of Zot (20000 gold)
-- Went to Pandemonium on purpose, through a portal, just to see what
it was like. Glad I was tough and fast, kept me from any real danger.

D - a silver rune of Zot (10000 gold)
O - a serpentine rune of Zot (10000 gold)
R - a decaying rune of Zot (10000 gold)

You have 15705 experience left.

Skills:
+ Level 25 Fighting
* Level 27 Axes
+ Level 11 Maces & Flails
-- From a manual, only got to read it once and it disintegrated

- Level 1 Polearms
+ Level 2 Throwing
+ Level 17 Armour
+ Level 2 Dodging
+ Level 3 Stabbing
+ Level 5 Traps & Doors
+ Level 19 Unarmed Combat
- Level 1 Spellcasting
+ Level 14 Evocations

You have 27 spell levels left.
You don't know any spells.

Mutations & Other Weirdness
You have tough skin (AC +1).
Your mind is acute (Int +1).
You are agile (Dex +2).
Your system is immune to poisons.
Your natural rate of healing is unusually fast.
You are weak (Str -1).
Your muscles are flexible (Dex +1), but weak (Str -1).
You possess an exceptional clarity of mind.
Your body is deteriorating.
Your vision is a little blurry.
You are partially covered in purple scales (AC + 2).
You are partially covered in orange scales (AC + 1).

Vanquished Creatures
<snipped and arranged>

3 ancient liches
3 liches
3 orbs of fire
A Killer Klown (Zot:5)
An electric golem (Zot:2)
3 titans
21 Orb Guardians (Zot:5)
22 tentacled monstrosities
A minotaur (Lab)
3 Ice Fiends
7 Balrugs
4 Executioners
13 Green Deaths
2 Pit Fiends
4 Blue Deaths
7 hell knights
2 Cacodemons
3 sun demons (Pan)
5 soul eaters
14 reapers
30 hellwings
10 tormentors
2 quicksilver dragons
8 golden dragons
8 shadow dragons
11 storm dragons
6 skeletal dragons
An iron dragon (Vault:8)
11 dragons
5 ice dragons
6 swamp dragons
4 mottled dragons

Geryon (D:21)
Margery (Vault:8)
Xtahua (Vault:8)
Norris (D:22)
Plog (Pan)
Duane (Vault:8)
Rupert (Vault:8)
Frances (Snake:5)
Agnes (D:20)
Jozef (Elf:4)
Norbert (Elf:6)
Josephine (D:16)
Joseph (D:15)
Urug (Elf:2)
Donald (Elf:1)
Edmund (D:5)
Sigmund (D:5)
Blork the orc (D:5)
Ijyb (D:4)

The ghost of Jor the Hacker, a powerful Mi Be (D:15)
The ghost of Durgan the Geomancer, a powerful MD EE (Lair:9)
The ghost of Kaz the Cleaver, an experienced Mi Be (D:11)
The ghost of Ephos the Geomancer, an experienced SE EE (D:10)

4074 creatures vanquished.

"Gorbal" <eric.pederson@att.net> wrote in message

Congrats!

> My first escape with the orb! I started playing Crawl in February and
> have mostly played Minotaur Berserkers as I seem to have the best luck
> with them. This was my first character to get any rune except for the
> swamp one, first visit to the vaults, hall of blades, hell,
> pandemonium, the abyss, and even any dungeon level below about 17 or
> so, much less Zot.

Wow. How'd you manage to play for so long without ever getting stuck in
the Abyss?

Had some close calls at the bottom of the Vaults
> (an ancient Lich and some 1's I wasn't expecting),

Don't think I've ever seen an Ancient Lich outside of Zot.

deep into Dis (hard
> to rest and heal with monsters constantly appearing and my body
> wracked with pain)

I think the best way to handle Hells is to go down and map the levels, dig
your way to the staircases, go back up and rest, and repeat until you get
to the bottom without having been damaged much. They're still tough,
though (particularly Gehenna -- Hellfire is a PITA).

[...]

> Inventory:
> Hand weapons
> a - a +6,+6 orcish broad axe of flaming (1066 gold)
> -- For Hydras, and just to use enchant weapon scrolls on
>
> b - the +6,+4 executioner's axe of Feasting (weapon) (1619 gold)
> It poisons the flesh of those it strikes.
> It affects your strength (+4).
> It affects your dexterity (-3).
> It protects you from cold.
> It makes you much more stealthy.
> It prevents spellcasting.
> -- My main weapon

I probably would've enchanted something up. +4's a little low, and to use
a poison weapon to best effect you've gotta be willing to let your quarry
sit around awhile to die. But hey, you won, so who am I to argue?

> c - the +4,+6 war axe of Ijyp Tecely (698 gold)
> It protects you from fire.
> It insulates you from electricity.
> It lets you levitate.
> -- For storm dragons and electric golems
>
> Armour
> A - a +6 banded mail of cold resistance (worn) (2179 gold)
> -- Found it this way. Never found any dragon armor or any interesting
> artifact body armor.

Ouch.

> B - a +2 pair of boots of running (worn) (245 gold)
> C - a +2 cloak of preservation (worn) (191 gold)
> G - a +2 pair of gloves of strength (worn) (201 gold)
> H - a +2 cap of see invisible (worn) (272 gold)

Just about the perfect set for you.

[...]

> S - the amulet of Death's Door (511 gold)
> This amulet protects its wearer from some forms of mental
> confusion.
> It affects your AC (+4).
> It affects your evasion (+7).
> It makes you much less stealthy.
> -- Found in Zot, never used

Never seen something +7 to a stat before, except for fixed artifacts.

> o - an abyssal rune of Zot (10000 gold)
> -- Sent to the abyss from Dis:4, not sure why. Uneventful trip, just
> ran around and killed stuff until I found a portal back.

Hell banishes you to the Abyss occasionally. I don't think I've ever found
a rune there before, though. Or at least not when I've been looking for
one. I think that would've been enough for me to go for the full set.

[...]

> Mutations & Other Weirdness
> You have tough skin (AC +1).
> Your mind is acute (Int +1).
> You are agile (Dex +2).
> Your system is immune to poisons.
> Your natural rate of healing is unusually fast.
> You are weak (Str -1).
> Your muscles are flexible (Dex +1), but weak (Str -1).
> You possess an exceptional clarity of mind.
> Your body is deteriorating.
> Your vision is a little blurry.
> You are partially covered in purple scales (AC + 2).
> You are partially covered in orange scales (AC + 1).

Wow. How'd you manage that without Alter Self?

[...]

Nice work.

--
--Jeremey

Loonie

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2001

Gorbal .-- .-. --- - . ---...

> My first escape with the orb! I started playing Crawl in February and
> have mostly played Minotaur Berserkers as I seem to have the best luck
> with them. This was my first character to get any rune except for the
> swamp one, first visit to the vaults, hall of blades, hell,
> pandemonium, the abyss, and even any dungeon level below about 17 or
> so, much less Zot. Had some close calls at the bottom of the Vaults
> (an ancient Lich and some 1's I wasn't expecting), deep into Dis (hard
> to rest and heal with monsters constantly appearing and my body
> wracked with pain) and after I got the Orb (I wanted to finish mapping
> the level, but got surrounded by an orb of fire, a Killer Klown, and a
> couple of dragons - I decided discretion was the better part of valor
> and left). Found a bunch of scrolls of acquirement, got my gloves,
> boots, cap, rod of discovery, and a couple amulets that way. Other
> than that, fairly straightforward, just ran around and hacked stuff
> up, then I found some rods and starting shooting bolts of fire and
> inaccuracy for a change of pace, then went back to chopping.

Congrats!
Hehe, seem to be invincible, however I'd risk the Pnademonium only with
best characters (or just run through). Especially his AC is impressive.
I suppose the real interest of Trog worshipping is lack of berzerk
penalty, because otherwise he seems not much useful in his weapon
droppings. Has he done something really nice to you? Okawaru is nicer, as
you have potentially 5 or 6 slots for armour presents that are easier to
fit than just several weapons.
No visit in Slime Pits, or no rune there?

--
Loonie
---------------------------------------

Loonie <loonie2@tlen.pl> wrote in message news:<69jah19kjefb$.dlg@Loonie.pl.fr>...
> Gorbal .-- .-. --- - . ---...
>
> > My first escape with the orb! I started playing Crawl in February and
> > have mostly played Minotaur Berserkers as I seem to have the best luck
> > with them. This was my first character to get any rune except for the
> > swamp one, first visit to the vaults, hall of blades, hell,
> > pandemonium, the abyss, and even any dungeon level below about 17 or
> > so, much less Zot. Had some close calls at the bottom of the Vaults
> > (an ancient Lich and some 1's I wasn't expecting), deep into Dis (hard
> > to rest and heal with monsters constantly appearing and my body
> > wracked with pain) and after I got the Orb (I wanted to finish mapping
> > the level, but got surrounded by an orb of fire, a Killer Klown, and a
> > couple of dragons - I decided discretion was the better part of valor
> > and left). Found a bunch of scrolls of acquirement, got my gloves,
> > boots, cap, rod of discovery, and a couple amulets that way. Other
> > than that, fairly straightforward, just ran around and hacked stuff
> > up, then I found some rods and starting shooting bolts of fire and
> > inaccuracy for a change of pace, then went back to chopping.
>
> Congrats!
> Hehe, seem to be invincible, however I'd risk the Pnademonium only with
> best characters (or just run through). Especially his AC is impressive.
> I suppose the real interest of Trog worshipping is lack of berzerk
> penalty, because otherwise he seems not much useful in his weapon
> droppings. Has he done something really nice to you? Okawaru is nicer, as
> you have potentially 5 or 6 slots for armour presents that are easier to
> fit than just several weapons.
> No visit in Slime Pits, or no rune there?

No great weapon drops from Trog, but going berserk really helped me
stay alive in the early game against orc warriors and ogres and such.
And hydras in the swamp.

Just looked at the first level of the slime pits, but my armour kept
getting corroded. And I like my armour to stay shiny!

eric.pederson@att.net (Gorbal) wrote
> Just looked at the first level of the slime pits, but my armour kept
> getting corroded. And I like my armour to stay shiny!

Dwarven armor resists corrosion best. :)

On Wed, 26 May 2004, Jeremey Wilson wrote:
>Never seen something +7 to a stat before, except for fixed artifacts.

My current promising red draconian chaos knight has acquired a nice set of
rings.

n - the ring "Homprklshaa" (left hand)
This blessed ring protects the life-force of its wearer from negative
energy, making them partially immune to the draining effects of undead and
necromantic magic.
It affects your AC (+7).
It affects your strength (-4).
It affects your accuracy (+2).

v - a +0,+7 ring of slaying (right hand)

However, I'd like some armour. I find a +1 artifact robe somewhat
uncomfortable by the time I start clearing the Vaults.

--
Erik I. Bolsø | email: <knan at mo.himolde.no>
The UNIX philosophy basically involves giving you enough rope to

Loonie

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2001

Mechanoid .-- .-. --- - . ---...

> eric.pederson@att.net (Gorbal) wrote
>> Just looked at the first level of the slime pits, but my armour kept
>> getting corroded. And I like my armour to stay shiny!
>
> Dwarven armor resists corrosion best. :)

AFAIR the same effect is from Amulet of Resist Corrosion (corroding chance
reduced 10 times). When recently visiting I took off all armour and wielded
artifact great mace, a little more bouncing from the melee creatures, but
no equipment losses. :)

--
Loonie
---------------------------------------
Respondit Pilatus quod scripsi scripsi.
http://www.crawl.iconrate.net

Loonie

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2001

Jeremey Wilson .-- .-. --- - . ---...

>> a - a +6,+6 orcish broad axe of flaming (1066 gold)
>> -- For Hydras, and just to use enchant weapon scrolls on
>>
>> b - the +6,+4 executioner's axe of Feasting (weapon) (1619 gold)
>> It poisons the flesh of those it strikes.
>> It affects your strength (+4).
>> It affects your dexterity (-3).
>> It protects you from cold.
>> It makes you much more stealthy.
>> It prevents spellcasting.
>> -- My main weapon
>
> I probably would've enchanted something up. +4's a little low, and to use
> a poison weapon to best effect you've gotta be willing to let your quarry
> sit around awhile to die. But hey, you won, so who am I to argue?

AFAIK artifacts cannot be enchanted nor corroded, considering the broad axe
- it's rather difficult to enchant from +6 using normal Scrolls (I and II),
and scrolls III are not very popular. Voila l'explanation. :)

--
Loonie
---------------------------------------

> Jeremey Wilson .-- .-. --- - . ---...
> > I probably would've enchanted something up. +4's a little low, and to
use
> > a poison weapon to best effect you've gotta be willing to let your
quarry
> > sit around awhile to die. But hey, you won, so who am I to argue?
>
> AFAIK artifacts cannot be enchanted nor corroded, considering the broad
axe
> - it's rather difficult to enchant from +6 using normal Scrolls (I and
II),
> and scrolls III are not very popular. Voila l'explanation. :)

I know you can't enchant artifacts. I just would've used a homemade weapon
(a battleaxe or executioner's axe, in his case) if the best thing I'd found
was a +4 poisoning artifact. I would've used the enchant scrolls on
something other than the broad axe (although I don't quite understand how
damage works for 1 or 2 handed weapons; maybe a 2-handed broad axe is
better than a battleaxe). And he said he used them all on the broad axe,
so I believe him, but in my experience my endgame weapon's usually +8, at
least. Even if it's difficult to enchant past +4, Enchant Weapon I and II
are pretty common.

--
--Jeremey

Loonie <loonie2@tlen.pl> wrote in message news:<16v8b9kghz9sf.dlg@Loonie.pl.fr>...
> Mechanoid .-- .-. --- - . ---...
>
> > eric.pederson@att.net (Gorbal) wrote
> >> Just looked at the first level of the slime pits, but my armour kept
> >> getting corroded. And I like my armour to stay shiny!
> >
> > Dwarven armor resists corrosion best. :)
>
> AFAIR the same effect is from Amulet of Resist Corrosion (corroding chance
> reduced 10 times). When recently visiting I took off all armour and wielded
> artifact great mace, a little more bouncing from the melee creatures, but
> no equipment losses. :)

I thought about collecting some extra armor that was lying around and
using that, but then I decided to just try and get the orb and win.
Do the effects of dwarven armor and the amulet of resist corrosion
stack? And how does the cloak of preservation factor in?

"Jeremey Wilson" <noaddressgiven@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<kM2tc.14461$eH1.6563399@newssvr28.news.prodigy.com>...
> "Gorbal" <eric.pederson@att.net> wrote in message
>
> > with them. This was my first character to get any rune except for the
> > swamp one, first visit to the vaults, hall of blades, hell,
> > pandemonium, the abyss, and even any dungeon level below about 17 or
> > so, much less Zot.
>
> Wow. How'd you manage to play for so long without ever getting stuck in
> the Abyss?

I haven't ever been real deep before, haven't played much with decks
[haven't seen that many], and I've only seen one weapon of distortion
ever (or can that send you to pandemonium?).

> > Inventory:
> > Hand weapons
> > a - a +6,+6 orcish broad axe of flaming (1066 gold)
> > -- For Hydras, and just to use enchant weapon scrolls on
> >
> > b - the +6,+4 executioner's axe of Feasting (weapon) (1619 gold)
> > It poisons the flesh of those it strikes.
> > It affects your strength (+4).
> > It affects your dexterity (-3).
> > It protects you from cold.
> > It makes you much more stealthy.
> > It prevents spellcasting.
> > -- My main weapon
>
> I probably would've enchanted something up. +4's a little low, and to use
> a poison weapon to best effect you've gotta be willing to let your quarry
> sit around awhile to die. But hey, you won, so who am I to argue?

I liked the strength boost and it seemed to kill stuff pretty quick.
I used my scrolls on the broad axe; I liked the flaming weapon and I
never found a better (more powerful) axe of flaming. And the damage
seemed good enough.

> > S - the amulet of Death's Door (511 gold)
> > This amulet protects its wearer from some forms of mental
> > confusion.
> > It affects your AC (+4).
> > It affects your evasion (+7).
> > It makes you much less stealthy.
> > -- Found in Zot, never used
>
> Never seen something +7 to a stat before, except for fixed artifacts.

I was only using the amulet of resist mutations by the time I found
this. Pity it didn't show up sooner.

> > o - an abyssal rune of Zot (10000 gold)
> > -- Sent to the abyss from Dis:4, not sure why. Uneventful trip, just
> > ran around and killed stuff until I found a portal back.
>
> Hell banishes you to the Abyss occasionally. I don't think I've ever found
> a rune there before, though. Or at least not when I've been looking for
> one. I think that would've been enough for me to go for the full set.

Maybe next time I stumble across one...

> > Mutations & Other Weirdness
> > You have tough skin (AC +1).
> > Your mind is acute (Int +1).
> > You are agile (Dex +2).
> > Your system is immune to poisons.
> > Your natural rate of healing is unusually fast.
> > You are weak (Str -1).
> > Your muscles are flexible (Dex +1), but weak (Str -1).
> > You possess an exceptional clarity of mind.
> > Your body is deteriorating.
> > Your vision is a little blurry.
> > You are partially covered in purple scales (AC + 2).
> > You are partially covered in orange scales (AC + 1).
>
> Wow. How'd you manage that without Alter Self?

A kind RNG, I guess. I've never had more than a couple mutations
before. There were a ton of cure mutation potions in this game, I
drank a couple - I think they got rid of 4 bad mutations and only 1
good one. Are those potions weighted that way, or was that just luck?

Loonie

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2001

Jeremey Wilson .-- .-. --- - . ---...

> I know you can't enchant artifacts. I just would've used a homemade
> weapon (a battleaxe or executioner's axe, in his case) if the best thing
> I'd found was a +4 poisoning artifact. I would've used the enchant
> scrolls on something other than the broad axe (although I don't quite
> understand how damage works for 1 or 2 handed weapons; maybe a 2-handed
> broad axe is better than a battleaxe). And he said he used them all on
> the broad axe, so I believe him, but in my experience my endgame
> weapon's usually +8, at least. Even if it's difficult to enchant past
> +4, Enchant Weapon I and II are pretty common.

Oh i see your point, you have right I think that homemade enchanted big axe
of chopping would deal better damage than the artifact.

It's pretty simple for "hand and a half weapons wielded without shield"
(like - you have on average one extra point of damage, on average one extra
point of ToHit, and always if delay of your weapon (after applying the
speed bonus from weapon skill) is greater than 10, it's reduced by 10
points. The bonus is very small except the speed, but speed bonus vanishes
when your skill is high, and it's not big enough to overcome base damage
difference, so IMO no surprises.

--
Loonie
---------------------------------------
Respondit Pilatus quod scripsi scripsi.
http://www.crawl.iconrate.net

Loonie

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2001

Jeremey Wilson .-- .-. --- - . ---...

> I know you can't enchant artifacts. I just would've used a homemade
> weapon (a battleaxe or executioner's axe, in his case) if the best thing
> I'd found was a +4 poisoning artifact. I would've used the enchant
> scrolls on something other than the broad axe (although I don't quite
> understand how damage works for 1 or 2 handed weapons; maybe a 2-handed
> broad axe is better than a battleaxe). And he said he used them all on
> the broad axe, so I believe him, but in my experience my endgame
> weapon's usually +8, at least. Even if it's difficult to enchant past
> +4, Enchant Weapon I and II are pretty common.

Oh i see your point, you have right I think that homemade enchanted big axe
of chopping would deal better damage than the artifact.

It's pretty simple for "hand and a half weapons wielded without shield"
- you have on average one extra point of damage, on average one extra
point of ToHit, and if delay of your weapon is greater than 100 (after
applying the speed bonus from weapon skill), it's always reduced by 10
points. The bonus is very small except the speed, but speed bonus vanishes
when your skill is high, and anyways it's not big enough to overcome base