choosing Athlon or P III

G

Could somebody outthere please tell me if you can do the same with an Athlon as a PIII. For my work I need to use/try different Operating Systems. Mostly I need the complete microsoft range espacialy Win 2k (and advanced server). But i also want to try Novell Products...
With my old K6-2+ I can only use (stable) Win 98SE.
Are things mentioned above possible with an Athlon?????

LTJLover

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
to my knowledge, AMD stuff these days is totally compatable with everything. The incompatibilites you hear about are mostly due to the original AMD and VIA chipsets. Things are better now. I run all AMD except for my brother's P3, and have no problems. Thenagain I run Win98se.

Jon
"Water-Cooled CPU Runner"

crapple0

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I don't know what your problem with the K6/2 is. I have a Craptaq K6/2-350 and a homebrewed Athlon 550 (amd irongate chipset), both run Windows 2000 Advanced Server just fine.

~Crapple0

"intel inside, idiot outside"

G

I'm not quite sure what i've done wrong but i (tried to...) install(ed) Win2k prof. on a system with a K6-2+ 500 with an Asus P5a ATX and 2 3com nic and Viper 550 (nothing unusual i would think) but i cant get it to work (stops loading even in save mode).

I don't want to spend time on these things, it should just work and rock solid!!!

greetings
Jaap