What's the best mobo/cpu combo?

owais

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2001
Hi,
I need to know the best mobo/cpu combo for a webserver. Im looking into Intel but i need to know of a good motherboard. This puppy will be taking some heavy load but I also need to keep it in the budget. So I cant go for dual processors. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks.

soup20000

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
"This puppy will be taking some heavy load but I also need to keep it in the budget. So I cant go for dual processors."

Then why are you looking at Intel? If you cant afford Dual then you don’t want anything to do with an Intel CPU. (Unless P4 for MPEG4 and that’s about it). Get the 1.2ghz T-Bird, KT7a-Raid and dual IBM 45GB 75GXP's in Raid 1. Or get 4 30's (I said 30's because of the budget) in raid 10 (1+0). A pos graphics card like the voodoo3 1000 (because this is a server you do not need graphics) and get some good network cards. Get 512-1.5GB of PC-133 ECC and you are set. I would also get a nice 400w power supply. I have a sparkle 400w it’s loud but does the job very nice.

soup.

AMD for Life!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I would get the Abit BX133-Raid. It uses the most reliable chipset ever made (the venerable Intel BX), supports Raid 0, 1, and 0+1, has an ISA slot if you ever truely need one and 5 PCI slots. Since most servers are not overclocked, I would get a PIII 866 for it. Using the 133 FSB will require a vidoe card that can handle 88MHz, for that any GeForce card will work so I would use the cheapest one you can find.

Suicide is painless...........

FUGGER

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
CUSL2 and a 667Mhz P3 can service 100,000 reqs per day, this would be good for standard web server with minimal streaming and mostly static pages. (under $1000)

You can step up to the 800Mhz+ and BX133-raid if you have database or alot of streaming content.

G

Or, you can do like Anandtech did and realize that the Athlon makes a better web server than Intel. Check out Anandtech's article titled "Behind AnandTech - Upgrading the Server Farm" right here: <A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/showdoc.html?i=1401" target="_new">http://www.anandtech.com/showdoc.html?i=1401</A>