Pentium III or Celeron?

G

I am buildin a PC for my Father and he is bound a determined that the "MHz" of a processor is all that matters. I want to build him a P-III 600 or 650 and he wants a Celeron 733. Which one would be better? Assuming both have good mainboards and peripherals. I want the P-III so i can take advantage of ATA 100, more bandwidth etc... Is there any reason i should go with the Celeron THANKS

soup20000

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
If you do end up with a Celeron get the 800 because it is much faster than the older 66mhz FSB celerons... Yes the P3 is faster than the Celeron but I think a Celeron 800 would be faster than a P3 650 (100mhz FSB) but about = to a P3 650(133 FSB but they don’t make them). I don’t know why you even want an Intel CPU if you are not doing dual. You can get a Thunderbird 900 for 7 dollars more than the P3 650. The Thunderbird is faster than the P3 clock for clock anyway. I just don’t see any advantage on the Intel side unless you are going for dual. I personally have a Duron 600@1016mhz on 24/7 running RC5/3d studio max 3/visual studio (c++ most the time) and Quake with windows2k. The only times I ever restart this system is because I want to add/pull a card from it. I also have a Celeron 366 as my server it also is on 24/7 with RC5 it also is 100% stable on win98se. Yes the Celeron was good back in its day (over a year ago) but times change and like I said there is NO reason to buy an Intel CPU at this time (unless of course you want a dual setup for the third time). I hope this helps you and others thinking about the same setup.

soup.

AMD for Life!

G

I might go with the Athlon....Seems to make sense money wise. I have always been comfortable building Intel systems for other people because I know that I will not really have any issues if I use a Pentium Chip and a Kick ass Asus board. CAN you recommend a good Athlon Mainboard?

soup20000

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
"He obviously doesn't know. Get the PIII 650 and overclock it to 866 using an Asus CUSL2-C. He won't know it's overclocked if you don't tell him."

Now why you would do that? When the 900mhz Thunderbird is $7 more than the P3 650... and even if you do get 866 out of it its still slower than the 900 T-Bird.
Plus there is no guarantee that it will even hit 866 (it should but you never know)

soup.

AMD for Life!

soup20000

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
"CAN you recommend a good Athlon Mainboard?"

I use the ASUS A7V... its been a dream come true. There is only one other mobo that I would get over that and it’s the Abit KT7-Raid. Now KT7a-Raid (new chipset). The new ASUS is the A7V133. I don’t think your dad is going to need raid but if he needs an ISA slot you can’t get the ASUS. Abit also makes the KT7/KT7a. Both are without raid and are a about 15 dollars less.

soup.

AMD for Life!

dhlucke

Polypheme
Nobody has mentioned the Duron. I run a 800 mhz duron on the Asus A7V. I wouldn't even waste my time with intel right now since their prices aren't justified.

I think you can get the 800 mhz duron for 65 bucks now. You can't lose that route if you are on a budget. There is an 850 but I don't know the cost. Check pricewatch.com

G

The tbird 850 and duron 850 should be close to the same price, every I've seen...

G

Take a look at my later posting on the cpu messageboard.....I am going with AMD

seanmcne

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Hey Soup! How many times do you sneak behind someones back and build them a computer with a slower chip and "just over clock it" because they'll never know? If I ever found anyone doing this I would be pissed off, the common person dosen't need to overclock, it does shorten the life of the CPU, maybe you don't realize because people like you and me get new CPU's every year.

-=-Sean-=-
I hate picking fights... but it's so fun :smile:

soup20000

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
"Hey Soup! How many times do you sneak behind someones back and build them a computer with a slower chip and "just over clock it" because they'll never know? If I ever found anyone doing this I would be pissed off, the common person dosen't need to overclock, it does shorten the life of the CPU, maybe you don't realize because people like you and me get new CPU's every year."

Never. If and I do build computers for friends/family I ask them what they want and I tell them what I think they should get. I will also tell them that I can make it run "faster" but it is not always safe. They have never wanted me to overclock it for them. I also agree it shortens the life of the CPU but by how much? I have a bunch of old 286/386/486/pentium/and even a Cyrix system that I play around with. None of them have ever had/have bad CPU's. The only time I ever "killed" a cpu was with my first Duron (crack core).

Soup.

AMD for Life!<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by soup20000 on 02/14/01 03:01 PM.</EM></FONT></P>