Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Can't recover my user files S.O.S.

Last response: in Windows 7
May 3, 2010 2:51:19 AM

Hello. This is my problem I had severe problems with Windows 7. Decided to go back to XP.
I have two hard drives.

C: -> 500gb System Files
D: -> 1tb Everything else.

Before formatting I moved my user folder complete to my "D" drive.
Formated, installed WinXP and when I went to get my files.... they dont show on the explorer window.
They're still there. But I can't see them.

Please I need a solution and I'm desperate I have work files there.
Thanks in advance for any answer or tip, or advice... ANYTHING.

Bye

More about : recover user files

a b 8 Security
a b $ Windows 7
May 3, 2010 6:15:36 AM

El_Wray said:
Hello. This is my problem I had severe problems with Windows 7. Decided to go back to XP.
I have two hard drives.

C: -> 500gb System Files
D: -> 1tb Everything else.

Before formatting I moved my user folder complete to my "D" drive.
Formated, installed WinXP and when I went to get my files.... they dont show on the explorer window.
They're still there. But I can't see them.

Please I need a solution and I'm desperate I have work files there.
Thanks in advance for any answer or tip, or advice... ANYTHING.

Bye

[#0005ff]XP probably wouldn't know what to do with a User folder. How do you know they're still there? Does the driver appear in Explorer? Have a look in Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Cmputer Management>Disk Management and if the 1Tb drive doesn't have a drive letter, give it one and restart the computer.

You may then have to open up the system to use the Tools>Folder Options>View menus to show hidden files and folders and possibly even to unhide protected files before XP can display the user folder.
[/#000ff]
m
l

Best solution

a b 8 Security
a b $ Windows 7
May 3, 2010 2:06:16 PM

Try using a Ubuntu live CD to access the files and copy them back to C:.

Then do as Saga Lout says and format the 1TB and assign a drive letter.
Related resources
May 3, 2010 2:44:43 PM

For some reason only half of the files were there. I lost the rest.
I had to change ownership of the files and then asign permissions to them. But still half the folders were missing. I tried two different file recovery tools but all the files I got back were corrupted. So.. Thank you for your answers. But, next time I'll double check any backup before a format.
m
l
May 7, 2010 2:38:33 PM

Like das_stig said load some form of Linux you can run it from a disk drive and both your partions will show up and you can copy the files over. Linux doesn't need permissions to view the files on the hard drive
m
l
May 14, 2010 8:00:53 PM

Best answer selected by El_Wray.
m
l
!