New PC Build, Windows 7 Install "No signed device drivers were found."

Status
Not open for further replies.

pinkyavitz

Honorable
Dec 26, 2012
[Solved; Solution at bottom]

Hi there all,

I'm trying to install Windows 7 64 bit on a newly built PC; All pieces are brand new. While trying to install Win 7, I get past a couple of screens then I get stuck at a "Select the driver to be installed." screen. Whenever I click on any of the drives showing up I get an error message that says Load Driver "No signed device drivers were found. Make sure that the installation media contains the correct drivers, and then click OK."
I have the bios set to boot from CD/ROM first, Hard disk second, and USB third. The bios reads the hard drive as the correct 1 TB that it is. The "OnChip SATA Type is [Native IDE]." I have checked and double checked that things are plugged in correctly, but do tell me if its still possible I did something wrong. I have also tried booting with a copy of Windows XP that I had laying around but that gave me an error about "unable to partition drive." I'd really prefer to solve the issue with Windows 7 and have that installed.
This is my first home built pc, so please go easy on me... Also please do ask questions if more information is needed so that my problem can be solved! T_T I'm feeling hopeless here guys, please help me out.

Parts of PC:

1) MOBO (REV: 1.2)
GIGABYTE GA-970A-UD3 AM3+ AMD 970 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Produ [...] 6813128519

2) CPU
AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Produ [...] 6819103727

3) MEMORY
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 1600
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Produ [...] 6820231314

4) VIDEO CARD
SAPPHIRE 100323-2L Radeon HD 6570 1GB 128-bit DDR3
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Produ [...] 6814102994

5) HARD DRIVE
Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148840

6) POWER SUPPLY
Rosewill Stallion Series RD600 600W ATX12V V2.3 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Power Supply
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182277

7) DVD BURNER/DRIVE
ASUS 24X DVD Burner
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Produ [...] 6827135204

8) CASE
Rosewill CHALLENGER Black Gaming ATX Mid Tower case
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Produ [...] 6811147153

Solution
*** Okay guys, thank you all for your input and hard work assisting in the solution to my problem! ***

SOLUTION (SOLVED!)

In my case,

After PC was put together, I booted it up, held down the "DEL" key to enter the BIOS settings.

“Standard CMOS Features"
Check to make sure HDD (Hard Disk Drive) and CDROM drive is detected.

Both my hard drive, IDE Channel 1 Master [ST1000DM003-9YN162], and my CDROM drive are displayed, IDE Channel 1 Master [ASUS DRW-24B1ST].

“Advanced BIOS Features”
Change the boot order of the PC.

First Boot Device [CDROM]
Second Boot Device [Hard Disk]
Third Boot Device [USB-FDD]

“Integrated Peripherals”
Change the OnChip SATA Type from Native IDE to AHCI, then the OnChip SATA Port4/5...

Your config looks fine except I would go back and change your HDD to be the first boot device unless you have unfinished business with the CD/DVD drive being primary and need to boot to it later.

Also, what type of devices (external mainly) do you have plugged into it? A printer with a card reader perhaps?

There have been a multitude of printers come out that when plugged into a new or freshly built computer, the machine will try to load drivers for the card reader (not sure why) and cause issues.

Beyond that, what is showing up in Device Manager under Other Devices? Anything at all?

pinkyavitz

Honorable
Dec 26, 2012

Hey, thanks for the fast response!

I only have a monitor hooked up via hdmi cable, keyboard via usb, and an old fashioned mouse (not usb, the green/purple thingy). This is a completely new build, so it has no OS on it yet and that is the issue.

No problem!

I'm pulling up the motherboard now to take a look at the bios options...brb...

I'm pretty sure it's because the motherboard is looking for a IDE Drive instead of a SATA but want to confirm it.

I may be way off on this but give this a try. I see your video card has VGA and DVI (better than VGA) connections as well. Try connecting the monitor to the computer with one of those connections. I suspect it could be becasue you don't have the video card driver installed yet and the problem could be the HDMI connection.

As for Setup prompting you for drivers for the drive. Go into BIOS and make sure that IDE Auto Detection is set to Automatic for IDE Channel 0/1. You may also want to change the Access Mode to Large (not sure why it would affect it asking for drivers).

Found it! Go in and change the OnChip SATA Type to AHCI. I bet that is your culprit.

He hasn't installed Windows yet.

@pinkykyavitz: Try the ACHI change FIRST before making any other changes.

if seen this error before. make sure your mb sata chipset is set to achi mode. Have the mb driver cd ready. most times it windows looking for the mb chipset drivers. the easy fix is on windows install do the f6 command and have the mb cd ready and the video card cd ready or all the inf drivers on a usb stick.

Same thought process I had but couldn't get the words out. The motherboard is getting confused during the Windows 7 install looking for RAID drivers (natively) from the motherboard instead of SATA (AHCI) drivers.

I understand that which is why I suggested he try a different video connection just in case the problem was with a video card driver not yet installed. I hadn't thought of the change to ACHI first before making any changes suggestion.

It's all good! :D :sol:

pinkyavitz

Honorable
Dec 26, 2012

I have tried to change it to AHCI, but didn't have any luck earlier, I will try again just to make sure. Sorry, I was slow in response.

pinkyavitz

Honorable
Dec 26, 2012

I'm sorry, could you clarify about the use of F6 key? When should I push it? When Windows is asking about the drivers or before?

pinkyavitz

Honorable
Dec 26, 2012
Okay guys, I changing from Native IDE to AHCI, but still get the same error message. In the Windows installing steps, I'm stuck on "Step 1: Collecting information" and still cannot get passed it to "Step 2: Installing Windows." :(

there should be a point when windows installer is installing that on the bottom of the screen it says hit f6 to install drivers. when you do that a box will open up and ask to be pointed to the drivers. when that happens take out the windows cd and put in the mb cd or have the drivers on a usb stick. you need to expand the drivers so the inf files are on the usb stick.

pinkyavitz

Honorable
Dec 26, 2012

The problem is that I don't even get to the "Installing Windows" part.
This is the process:

Windows 7 comes up,
there an "Install now ->" button which I click,
it says Setup is starting, I click "I accept the license terms,"
it then says "Which type of installation do you want?" I click "Custom (advanced)" over the "Upgrade" option.
"Where do you want to install Windows?," but at the bottom of the screen it says "No drives were found. Click Load Driver to provide a mass storage driver for installation."
I click the "Load Driver" button, which brings me to the error message "To install the device driver needed to access your hard drive, insert the installation media containing the driver files, and then click OK." (Note: The installation media can be a floppy disk, CD, DVD, or USB flash drive.

I exited the install and put in the mobo disc which then gives me the error "A required CD/DVD drive device driver is missing. If you have a driver floppy disk, CD, DVD, or USB flash drive, please insert it now. (Note: If the Windows installation media is in the CD/DVD drive, you can safely remove it for this step."
After I click OK, it brings me back to "No device drivers were found. Make sure that the installation media contains the correct drivers, and then click OK." From there I can either click "Browse" or "Rescan" but to no further advancement.

Do you have the CD/DVD that came with the motherboard. According to page 67 of the motherboard manual page - 67 -
Appendix 5-1 Configuring SATA Hard Drive(s)
To configure SATA hard drive(s), follow the steps below:
A. Install SATA hard drive(s) in your computer.
B. Configure SATA controller mode in BIOS Setup.
C. Configure a RAID array in RAID BIOS. (Note 1)
D. Install the SATA RAID/AHCI driver (Note 2) and operating system.

Before you begin
Please prepare:
••At least two SATA hard drives (to ensure optimal performance, it is recommended that you use two hard drives with identical model and capacity). If you do not want to create RAID, you may prepare only one hard drive.
••Windows 7/Vista/XP setup disk.
••Motherboard driver disk.
••A USB floppy disk drive (needed during Windows XP installation)
••An empty formatted floppy disk (needed during Windows XP installation)

(Note 1) Skip this step if you do not want to create RAID array on the SATA controller.
(Note 2) Required when the SATA controller is set to AHCI or RAID mode.

Look at pages 67-68 of the manual.

http://download.gigabyte.us/FileList/Manual/mb_manual_ga-970a-ud3_v.3.x_e.pdf

pinkyavitz

Honorable
Dec 26, 2012

I'm trying this now, will keep you posted. Thanks very much, I have the manual in hand and am following steps to change it to RAID and such.

pinkyavitz

Honorable
Dec 26, 2012
Unfortunately, changing the OnChip SATA Type to RAID from Native IDE didn't fix it. Its actually skipping the step where it asks me "Where do you want Windows Installed?" So, I no longer have the option to "Load Driver." I'm also now not able to get into the bios menu, it forces me to Windows install for some reason.
I'm going to bed for the evening, but will reset the CMOS tomorrow afternoon so I can start back with the Native IDE in the bios and retry the AHCI method. I'll post as soon as I get home and get working on it again. Thanks again. ttys.

pinkyavitz

Honorable
Dec 26, 2012

I'm not a "he" btw. Not that it matters much, lol.

pinkyavitz

Honorable
Dec 26, 2012
Is anyone available to chat with me about my install problem? Can I not use the OnChip SATA as Native IDE? I tried changing it to AHCI or Raid, but had no luck. Maybe someone could walk me through this again to make sure I'm doing it correctly? Please and thank you. I can chat on here or Skype if it is easier!

I always refer to forum ops as "he". Its not a sexist thing, tis just easier.

As for the issue:
Sorry for the delay! Working a full time job sucks....

If I remember correctly, you only have the one drive which is plugged into SATA port 0 on the motherboard correct? If not, move it there and follow the manuals instructions on disabling the other SATA ports all except for the CD/DVD drive (which I'm assuming is SATA). The OnChip SATA Type cannot be set to Native IDE or the system is going to be looking for an IDE drive and not SATA, which is why it needs to be set to AHCI. If you're not doing RAID (which I reread to make sure) then its not necessary for the drivers to be there and the install is prompting for them because something from the BIOS is telling it to.

pinkyavitz

Honorable
Dec 26, 2012
*** Okay guys, thank you all for your input and hard work assisting in the solution to my problem! ***

SOLUTION (SOLVED!)

In my case,

After PC was put together, I booted it up, held down the "DEL" key to enter the BIOS settings.

“Standard CMOS Features"
Check to make sure HDD (Hard Disk Drive) and CDROM drive is detected.

Both my hard drive, IDE Channel 1 Master [ST1000DM003-9YN162], and my CDROM drive are displayed, IDE Channel 1 Master [ASUS DRW-24B1ST].

“Advanced BIOS Features”
Change the boot order of the PC.

First Boot Device [CDROM]
Second Boot Device [Hard Disk]
Third Boot Device [USB-FDD]

“Integrated Peripherals”
Change the OnChip SATA Type from Native IDE to AHCI, then the OnChip SATA Port4/5 from IDE to As SATA Type.

OnChip SATA Controller [Enabled] (← this was enabled by default)
OnChip SATA Type [AHCI]
OnChip SATA Port4/5 Type [As SATA Type]

F10 to save all changes and reboot.

For some reason, my PC still refused to boot the Windows 7 disc. I had reset (or power off, then power back on) and hold down the F12 key to pull up the boot menu.

Boot Menu

== Select a Boot First device ==

LS120
+Hard Disk
CDROM (← Wouldn't boot when I selected this one.)
ZIP
USB-FDD
USB-ZIP
USB-CDROM
USB-HDD
Legacy LAN
ASUS DRW-24B (← Selected this one.)

I don't know why, but it was displaying the default CDROM and the actual name of my CDROM drive, ASUS DRW-24B. So, I assume it was trying to boot from an empty drive for some reason of which I have no idea.

I selected my ASUS DRW-24B, pressed ENTER.

Loading Operating System ...

Press any key to boot from CD or DVD..._

Windows is loading files...
Loading bar displayed

Windows 7
Language to install: (Select from drop down menu)
Time and currency format: (Select from drop down menu)
Keyboard or input method: (Select from drop down menu)

Enter your language and other preferences and click “Next” to continue.

Click Install Now.
“Setup is starting...”
Select the driver to be installed.
(Hard drive should show up here, click it.)

** However, this is where I had my problem of no hard drive being visible, it just did not show up. I had no drive to click on and therefore couldn't continue to load/install Windows 7. **
______________________________________________________________________________________________

The solution that worked for me was...

Power off the PC, unplug the power cord and physically uninstall the hard drive (Seagate Barracuda, in my case) from the PC. I installed it in my currently running/working computer and partitioned and formatted the hard drive; formatting my 1 TB drive, took between 2-3 hours. After that, I physically uninstalled (after powering off and unplugging) from that PC, and reinstalled the drive into the brand new PC in progress.

Here are some links that helped me out a bit, but you can also type how to partition and format a hard drive into any search engine.

[ Partition Hard Drive: pcsupport.about.com/od/windows7/ht/partition-hard-drive-windows-7.htm ]
[ Format Hard Drive: http://pcsupport.about.com/od/windows7/ht/format-hard-drive-windows-7.htm ]
_______________________________________________________________________________________________

Do not attempt to click “Load Driver,” or load the mobo (motherboard) disc. I was able to just click next while keeping the Windows 7 disc inside the driver. You will need to put in mobo disc after Windows is installed.

And Behold!

“Installing Windows...”
Copying Windows files
Expanding Windows files
Installing features
Installing updates
Completing installation

Really, this part didn't take very long at all. It probably took less than an hour, maybe even less than 30 minutes if I recall correctly.

*** So, once again. My solution was to PARTITION and FORMAT the hard drive in a working PC, then bring it back and reinstall it into the brand new PC in order to finally install Windows 7. Many thanks for ALL the input guys! ***

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.