Crawl

Howdy all,

I've just started playing Crawl. It's very good! I'm wondering where I
can get information to customise the view. It only occupies half the
available space, and things such as the wall character can certainly be
improved.
I'm sure you've all thought similar things. So how about it?
Hooray for cosmetics!

--
Glen
L:pyt E+++ T-- R+ P+++ D+ G+ F:*band !RL RLA-

In article <40d8f034$1@dnews.tpgi.com.au>,
Glen Wheeler <gew75@uow.edu.au> wrote:

> I've just started playing Crawl. It's very good! I'm wondering where I
>can get information to customise the view. It only occupies half the
>available space, and things such as the wall character can certainly be
>improved.

Simple answer: you can't :).

More complex answer: you can get the source code and try changing it if
you really must. The wall character should be fairly simple (what did
you have in mind?), but changing the display layout was (at least last
time I looked at that bit of code) not for the faint-hearted.

--
Mark Mackey
The Association for the Advancement of Dungeon Crawling

bork bork bork Glen Wheeler bork 4:51:27 AM bork 6/23/2004 bork bork:

> Howdy all,
>
> I've just started playing Crawl. It's very good! I'm wondering
> where I can get information to customise the view. It only occupies
> half the available space, and things such as the wall character can
> certainly be improved.
> I'm sure you've all thought similar things. So how about it?
> Hooray for cosmetics!

As Mark wrote: you can't (without reprogramming it yourself). You're
not the first person to post this sentiment, and probably many more
have it in their heads (I certainly do).

However, there is a patch that removes the most annoying effects of the
postage-stamp-sized main layout. It's called the travel patch, and you
can install it either separately or as a part of a whole set of useful
patches by a fellow named Darshan. The set is even available
pre-compiled, which is wonderful for dummies like me. It's available at:

arcaarwww.angelfire.com/trek/mazewest/

The Travel Patch enables you to:
- auto-explore using the shortcut Ctrl-O. Perhaps not as efficient as
manual exploration, but a helluva lot less nerve-wracking.
- auto-travel within a level based on the "Shift-X map" by moving the
cursor to a location and pressing "." (or one other key, I think; I
always use "." because it's right there at hand on the numpad). You can
also use "<" and ">" to rotate the cursor position to each < or >
staircase in turn -- great for quickly finding the way into that $#%@
hidden portion of a level.
- auto-travel among *levels*. Takes a lot of the chore out of a style
where you alternate between a branch and the main dungeon, for example,
or you make frequent visits to the Ecumenical Temple.

Of the other patches, the one I find myself noticing and using the most
in practice is the extended logfile, especially the separate .lst files
it adds. Never forget where you stashed something again!

Erik

"Erik Piper" <efrniokr@sdky.cz> wrote in message
> bork bork bork Glen Wheeler bork 4:51:27 AM bork 6/23/2004 bork bork:
>

> > Howdy all,
> >
> > I've just started playing Crawl. It's very good! I'm wondering
> > where I can get information to customise the view. It only occupies
> > half the available space, and things such as the wall character can
> > certainly be improved.
> > I'm sure you've all thought similar things. So how about it?
> > Hooray for cosmetics!
>
> As Mark wrote: you can't (without reprogramming it yourself). You're
> not the first person to post this sentiment, and probably many more
> have it in their heads (I certainly do).
>
> However, there is a patch that removes the most annoying effects of the
> postage-stamp-sized main layout. It's called the travel patch, and you
> can install it either separately or as a part of a whole set of useful
> patches by a fellow named Darshan. The set is even available
> pre-compiled, which is wonderful for dummies like me. It's available at:
>
> arcaarwww.angelfire.com/trek/mazewest/
>
> [..]

Thanks Erik. I'm downloading and will be using the patch in a very short
time.
Crawl is really quite interesting. The differentiation between races is
amazing. At the moment, for me at least, it's also very difficult. I have
yet to get past character level ten...and have around a hundred dead bodies
lurking in the dungeon waiting for me :).

--
Glen