Socket A and the Slokets

G

Does anybody know if they are going to make a sloket that will make the Socket A AMD chips compatible on a Slot 1 mobo?

<font color=red> BgKahuna
</font color=red>

Arrow

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Crashman is right. (As always :))
Socket A is for AMD processors, and Slot 1 is for Intel processors.

Rob
Please visit <b><A HREF="http://www.ncix.com/shop/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048" target="_new">http://www.ncix.com/shop/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048</A></b>

soup20000

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
"maybe he meant an adapter from socket A to slot A, it is possible. Abit and Asus you hear this?"

yes, but why? I mean AMD did make T-Birds in a slot A type from 750mhz-1ghz. The only reason would be for Durons but even then how many have Slot A mobo's? and of them how many have the Irongate 750 chipset or a KX133 that supports the "new t-bird" slot type? There is just no money to be made with a sloket type card for slot - socket a.

soup.

AMD for Life!

Grizely1

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Yeah. no one would want Socket a on Slot A motherboards. The Slot A motherboards completely sucked. The VIA KX133 chipset, which most Slot A boards used, was probably the 2nd worse chipset ever (Irongate being 1st.)

-----------------
Satan Clara...... 'Nuff said.

soup20000

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
"The VIA KX133 chipset, which most Slot a boards used, was probably the 2nd worse chipset ever (Irongate being 1st.)"

Don't take this the wrong way Grizely1. I know you are correct most the time but I don't agree on you with this statement. In my personal experience and from what I have read the AMD Irongate was MUCH more stable than the KX133. It had many drawbacks such as AGP 2x but for the most part it worked well. It did have problems with many Nvidia cards but that was fixed. The KX133 on the other hand is 99% the same as the KT133 It is that just by the time the KT came out many problems with the KX had been fixed. I have used much worse chipsets in my life than those two though. Such as the old Super Socket 7 I still have. The ASUS P5A with the ALi Aladdin 5 chipset. Holy crap that chipset sucks. I have also used some SIS chipsets that just blow. That’s all I really wanted to say... There are a lot worse than the 750 and KX.

soup.

AMD for Life!

Grizely1

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Well, from my experience and what i've read, the Irongate had TONS of incompatability problems. the only good thing i can think of is that the Slot A thunderbirds work on it. I believe there are worse chipsets, but I was talking about AMD chipsets (Athlon and up. I wasn't really into Socket 7.) I should have been more specific..

-----------------
Satan Clara...... 'Nuff said.

Ncogneto

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Ok Griz I too and starting to doubt your expereince with these chipsets. I have all three running right now, the kx133 the kt133 and the amd irongate. Guess which one is the most stable? That would be the Irongate with the slot-a bird ( 750 @ 950) on a generic motherboard. The asus k7v is a champ as well, no where near as many issues with that board as with the A7v.

A little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing!

crapple0

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I would agree. I have an Asus K7M with the Irongate chipset, and it's very stable. The i815 at work was a lot less stable than my home system.

There is plenty of money to be made with Slocket A's....I would gladly get one, since it would save me replacing a motherboard that's only a year old.

~Crapple0

"intel inside, idiot outside"

Grizely1

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I'm just telling you my experience. Nothing more.

-----------------
Satan Clara...... 'Nuff said.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Grizely1 on 02/15/01 09:03 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

kal326

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
i have to disagree. I have a 815 system and it is unmeasureably more stable then any 750 board that I tried. I tried two differant MSI 750 boards and an Asus K7M. I was using a Creative TNT2 Ultra and a SB Live X-Gamer. On the asus board even out look express would lock up. Any game that I played would lock up within a matter of minutes. Windows 2K wouldnt run with a sh*t. However I could take every single part from that system minus the chip and board and stick it all in a Intel based system and work just fine. The Althon was from an IBM 600Mhz system that I bought from Best Buy because my laptop overheated. The IBM system had to be very detuned to run stably. So in conclusion a IBM 750 based system was the only system that would ever run stable. Sad fact that was my friends celeron 466 system with the same stats as mine except for a diamond 300MX sound card would beat my machine in Q3 benchmarks. So once again drop kicking the hornets nest, if you want cheap ass, cross your fingers, patch the living ba-jesus out of, better preforming system go with AMD. If you want a good chip and CHIPSET go with Intel way be less preformance for the money, but I have never had a problem with an Intel system. Ive owned a P120, P233MMX, K6-2 350 laptop, Celeron 400 laptop, Athlon 600 system, and my current P3 733 system. Take a wild guess at which ones did and still do run just fine. the p233MMX system is still running perfectly it was built back in 97.