Sign in with
Your question

BSOD occasionally on startup

Last response: in Windows 7
January 8, 2013 3:32:57 AM

Hey, So as the title says I occasionally get the BSOD on start up. It gets as far as the "loading windows" screen with the glowing windows icon and then crashes, flashing the blue screen briefly then reboots and starts fine or will do it again. This appears to be totally random and used to only happened before after a windows update (exact same scenario, started up fine after reboot and loaded the updates...)

I'm completely unsure of whats causing it, I just now after the last crash turned off reboot on system failure.

BTW this is a brand new build I just finished a week ago.
Here's my system

Processor: AMD FX-6300 vishera
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA 970A-UD3
RAM: G. Skill Ares 8 GB 1866 mhz
Graphics Card: EVGA GTX 660 2GB
Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 2Tb that was once an external HDD I got for free
a b $ Windows 7
January 8, 2013 3:42:02 AM

when the system posts look to see what rev the mb bios is at. (f7) if it that one or higher then the mb has the newest ram code in the bios. check that the ram is in the right ram slots and seated. then i run cpu-z and make sure the mb set the speed and ram timing right if it has then i run memtest to see if i had bad stick of ram.
m
l
January 8, 2013 11:25:49 PM

My bios is f7, my ram is in the right slots and seated. Ill try this cpu-z thing and see if that takes me anywhere
m
l
Related resources
January 8, 2013 11:47:13 PM

So I have Cpu-z running...don't really understand what I'm seeing.

m
l
a b $ Windows 7
January 9, 2013 6:15:52 PM

okolepooka said:
So I have Cpu-z running...don't really understand what I'm seeing.

http://i888.photobucket.com/albums/ac89/okole_pooka/memory_zpse0bfd4a3.jpg

That particular tab is what memory is in your computer and at what speeds the lanes are working at. Each tab talks about different aspects of your PC.

As for the blue screens that are random, Has anything else been loaded onto it besides Windows? Take some of the memory out (not sure how many sticks you have) to only leave one stick in and run it again. Create a memtest86 disk (will provide instructions below) and run several passes on each memory stick to help isolate it as a possibility.

I would recommend creating a Hirens Boot CD and utilize some of the options available to attempt to resolve your issue. There are some really good diagnostic utilities available here. Use them to your advantage.
m
l
January 9, 2013 6:47:11 PM

alright Ill try running memtest as soon i can get a blank cd...
m
l
January 12, 2013 5:39:57 PM

ran memtest86. No errors
m
l
!