H-World and GearHead (yeah, two games in one post)

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.misc,rec.games.roguelike.development (More info?)

Having just purchased a new computer for the first time in eight
years, one of the first things I did was download two bright young
roguelikes which my old computer found a bit too demanding to run at a
good speed. These are my thoughts on them.

H-World is looking good. The last version I'd seen was "not ugly". The
latest graphics are nice and do help set a mood. However, while
H-World has come along nicely as an engine, the Jungle game provided
as a sample of how it can be used is still lacking. (Hajo: I don't
have time to learn to use H-World and actually add stuff to Jungle
myself right now, but if you want, I can send you some detailed ideas
of things I think would be fairly quick to add [not counting graphics
creation time, of course] and would improve things a bit.) There's
several locations, each is distinctive in feel thanks to graphics and
content, but they seem to use the same dungeon generator, which makes
the differences seem superficial once you've spent some time wandering
around different places in the same basic pattern.

One aspect of graphics that may need some improvement is leaving
images of creatures where they were last seen. This only came up with
respect to my mule, but there were a *lot* of mules in some corridors,
visually speaking. Items purchased from traders which don't fit into
my pack seem to just disappear. Missile weapons still need improvement
and magic is still just items (and pretty much stuff we've seen
before, too). What's here is impressive, but it is still very
obviously a work in progress. I liked looking at it and it was
interesting to wander around in for awhile, but it needs more work to
be a game for players to play, rather than roguelike hobbyists to
admire.

GearHead, on the other hand, is very playable, although there are a
few problems. I still find basic movement clumsy compared to other
roguelikes. (The inertial effects are quite appropriate to huge war
vehicles, but humans and rats really don't need facings and such. I'd
prefer a more standard RL behavior when on foot.) The other problem is
chatting is important, but there's so darned many messages, one can
easily miss one that's actually informative. I'd like some more
documentation, please, not just in-game help. Oh, and I've died
several times, only to be rescued by hospitalization. Okay, I can
continue the game, but I'd rather have a game where the balance didn't
require this sort of rescue. Is there any limit to how many times I
can get shreaded by monsters/heavy weapons and return to normal (well,
except for my low morale and loser rep -- nice touches). The tutorial
elements should have a simple way to turn off so I don't have to see
them again.

Okay, that's the whining about bits I don't much like part. Now the
praise. There's tons of stuff here and it all hangs together pretty
well. For having an actual setting, GearHead beats any other roguelike
I've seen, including ADOM, which is often praised in that regard. Lots
of specific detail, a coherent background and a wilderness map that
doesn't look terribly contrived. Objects come in a wide variety in the
various types, so selection of gear for both yourself and your mech is
interesting. Some UI improvement is possible to make it easier to
compare what's on sale to what you have or to find particular items of
interest. Monsters "destroy" gear, but I think it always is
repairable, so you don't have to worry about shops not stocking
something once you've got it -- that's good and bad, really.

Different cities are different in detail and in important ways, but
there are plenty of similarities, which helps give the impression of a
single shared culture. The chat dialog is amusing and cleverly done,
except for there being too much of it. I love a game where I can check
my email! My sister still has a "--" reaction to me after I paid her
tuition and living expenses for school. That's the only problem I've
had with the NPC reaction behavior; I really think that should have
given a significant boost to how she regarded me. Terrain is
well-used, combat is fun, and there's far too much clever detail to go
into in a quickie review. I have some trouble understanding why rats
carry money, but I can live with that. GearHead is a game developers
and players alike should be checking out.

http://www.geocities.com/pyrrho12/programming/gearhead/index.html

Hyolee wants me to recover the Atomic War Club from a location
"Ziggurat L4". Problem is, I've no idea where to find a Ziggurat. I've
explored much of the map, but there are a few corners I haven't been
to. Also, the lower right part of the map is blocked by water -- is
there some way across? Can anyone give me a hint where to find the
Ziggurat location? I really should get on this. I need to wash the
stench of defeat off.

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.misc,rec.games.roguelike.development (More info?)

On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 23:25:48 -0700, R. Dan Henry
<danhenry@inreach.com> wrote:

>I'd like some more
>documentation, please, not just in-game help

I take this back, provisionally. I found some more documentation I
hadn't read. Although I expect *I* would still like to see even more
documentation, the general preference seems to be to imbed
documentation in programs and especially games, so there's probably
enough. I *did* find what I most wanted, which was a list of all the
special attributes weapons can have. Did I mention there's *lots of
stuff* in GH? :)

R. Dan Henry wrote:

> Hyolee wants me to recover the Atomic War Club from a location
> "Ziggurat L4". Problem is, I've no idea where to find a Ziggurat. I've
> explored much of the map, but there are a few corners I haven't been
> to.

It is in the top left corner. Maybe you will have to ask somebody in
Markheim Fortress (The town with the Cesar) about it. Be warned, the
Ziggurat is full of 'bots that hit hard from a distance.

> Also, the lower right part of the map is blocked by water -- is
> there some way across?

If your mech has hover capabilities you can use them to fly over water.
You can change your movement mode on the world map by pressing '.'.

Lars

On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 09:54:43 +0200, Lars Kecke
<kecke@physik.uni-freiburg.de> wrote:

>R. Dan Henry wrote:
>
>> Hyolee wants me to recover the Atomic War Club from a location
>> "Ziggurat L4". Problem is, I've no idea where to find a Ziggurat. I've
>> explored much of the map, but there are a few corners I haven't been
>> to.
>
>It is in the top left corner. Maybe you will have to ask somebody in
>Markheim Fortress (The town with the Cesar) about it. Be warned, the
>Ziggurat is full of 'bots that hit hard from a distance.

Thanks. Is there any trick for dealing with poison? First aid doesn't
seem to heal enough (with my skill, anyway) to counter it effectively.

Richard Daniel Henry
danhenry@inreach.com

R. Dan Henry schrieb:

> Having just purchased a new computer for the first time in eight
> years, one of the first things I did was download two bright young
> roguelikes which my old computer found a bit too demanding to run at a
> good speed.

I'm feeling sorry for the lack of efficiency, but lately the tendency
iof H-World is to become slower and slower. One of ther reasons is the
graphics, the game make more and more use of heavily layered images, and
features like semi-transparent images and recoloring images on the fly.

But the biggest 'problem' is movingh more and more functionality from
the core into Lua scripts. This is good for people who want to write
their own game modules - the more functionality there is in the scripts,
the more they can alter and customize.

But Lua is noticeably slower than compiled C++, and the slowdown gets
noticeable. But I think this is the price to pay for heavvy use of
scripting.

> H-World is looking good.

:)

> The last version I'd seen was "not ugly". The
> latest graphics are nice and do help set a mood. However, while
> H-World has come along nicely as an engine, the Jungle game provided
> as a sample of how it can be used is still lacking.

That's true. I'm too much a programmer and too little of a designer.
Also currently, I'm just lazy.

> Hajo: I don't
> have time to learn to use H-World and actually add stuff to Jungle
> myself right now, but if you want, I can send you some detailed ideas
> of things I think would be fairly quick to add [not counting graphics
> creation time, of course] and would improve things a bit.

I think ABCGi suggestion is good. The feedback forum will keep the ideas
and in the forum they can be discussed by a largher group of people:
http://www.simugraph.com/forum/

The H-World forums are at the bottom of the page.

> There's
> several locations, each is distinctive in feel thanks to graphics and
> content, but they seem to use the same dungeon generator, which makes
> the differences seem superficial once you've spent some time wandering
> around different places in the same basic pattern.

Youre right. Currently there are four different dungeon generators:

- forest/wilderness
- rooms/cellars
- cave
- dungeon

but the "rooms/cellars" generator is used for three dungeons currently

- gardens
- castle cellars
- temple

They share the same structures, only the items and furniture is somewhat
different.

The cave and dungeon levels should be recogniseably different.

> One aspect of graphics that may need some improvement is leaving
> images of creatures where they were last seen. This only came up with
> respect to my mule, but there were a *lot* of mules in some corridors,
> visually speaking.

That's right. Shwoing things at their last remembered position once they
get out of sight seems to work well on items which do not move, but it
creates strange effects for moving beings.

Currently the only solution seems to eb to tell the display code which
things can move and which cannot, and let moveables vanish from display
once they are out of sight.

> Items purchased from traders which don't fit into
> my pack seem to just disappear.

Right. H-World needs something like the overflow handling from Angband;
probably its ok to use the same solution: items that don't fit into the
backpack (as a result of some action) drop to the ground at the players
location.

> Missile weapons still need improvement

Actually missile weapons are non-existent currently. The only kind of
ranged attack is to throw things, and beside pebbles there are no
throwing weapons yet. Throwing is also very buggy. I guess once I go at
the ranged weapons, I'll have to rework part of the throwing code, too.

> and magic is still just items (and pretty much stuff we've seen
> before, too).

Right. Magic is mostly non-existing. I mean I've got some dieas, but no
code was written yet.

> What's here is impressive, but it is still very
> obviously a work in progress.

Indeed :)

Kind regards,
Hajo

R. Dan Henry wrote:

[GearHead, Ziggurat]

> Thanks. Is there any trick for dealing with poison? First aid doesn't
> seem to heal enough (with my skill, anyway) to counter it effectively.

A good resistance skill (IIRC 5 is enough) helps, as do quick fix/regen
boost pills, dragon hearts and bear livers (first aid just takes too
much time). Also (IIRC) the medicine skill can be used to cure the
poisoning. In the case of the Ziggurat: Only the swamp is poisonous, the
upper levels (at least beginning with 2) are clear, so enter the swamp,
find a door to the tower, retreat, try again, find the stairs, retreat
and so on.

Lars

R. Dan Henry wrote:
> On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 23:25:48 -0700, R. Dan Henry
> <danhenry@inreach.com> wrote:
>
>>I'd like some more
>>documentation, please, not just in-game help
>
> I take this back, provisionally. I found some more documentation I
> hadn't read. Although I expect *I* would still like to see even more
> documentation, the general preference seems to be to imbed
> documentation in programs and especially games, so there's probably
> enough. I *did* find what I most wanted, which was a list of all the
> special attributes weapons can have. Did I mention there's *lots of
> stuff* in GH? :)

Sounds like someone is hooked :)

Regarding H-World, your ideas on the H-World forum would be a good place
to be able to discuss them?
http://www.simugraph.com/forum/index.php

--
ABCGi http://abcgi.fly.to

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.misc,rec.games.roguelike.development (More info?)

R. Dan Henry <danhenry@inreach.com> wrote:
>GearHead, on the other hand, is very playable, although there are a
>few problems. I still find basic movement clumsy compared to other
>roguelikes. (The inertial effects are quite appropriate to huge war
>vehicles, but humans and rats really don't need facings and such. I'd
>prefer a more standard RL behavior when on foot.) The other problem is
>chatting is important, but there's so darned many messages, one can
>easily miss one that's actually informative. I'd like some more
>documentation, please, not just in-game help. Oh, and I've died
>several times, only to be rescued by hospitalization. Okay, I can
>continue the game, but I'd rather have a game where the balance didn't
>require this sort of rescue. Is there any limit to how many times I
>can get shreaded by monsters/heavy weapons and return to normal (well,
>except for my low morale and loser rep -- nice touches). The tutorial
>elements should have a simple way to turn off so I don't have to see
>them again.

NPCs which actually have something to say if you talk to them should be
displayed in a different colour. I hate running around a big screen
trying to keep track of everyone I haven't talked to yet.
--
.-'`-.
/ | | \
/ | | \
|___|_|__ |
||<o>| <o>`|
|| J_ )|
`|`-'__`-'|/
| `--' |
.-| |_
.-' \ / | |`-.
.-' `. /| | \
/ ````' | | \
|_____ | | L
.-' ___ `-. F F | | ||`-.___
.'.-' | `-. `. J J / | || _.>
/ /| | |`. \ | | |/ | ||_.-'
/ / | | | `. `. F F | |==============================
J / | | | \ L J J | | `:::::::. `:::::::.
FJ | | | |L J/ / | \ :::::::. :::::::\
J |() | () | () | () | J L/ | | ::::::: :::::::L
| F | .-'_ \ | | LJ | / L :::::::: :::::::J
| L | / \\ | | | L | | :::::::: ::::::::L
| L || ):|| | | | /| L :::::::: ::::::::|
J | ||:._.'::|| | | |----' | | :::::::: ::::::::| .---.
J | |J:::::::|| | | | _/\ | :::::::: ::::::::| /(@ o`.
LJ | \:::::/ | | | |---'\ | | :::::::: ::::::::| | /^^^
J L | `-:-' | | | F | \ | J :::::::: ::::::::| \ . \vvv
LJ()| () | () | () | F F | \ \--._L :::::::: ::::::::| \ `--'
J \ | | | | J J \ | | :::::::: ::::::::| \ `.
\ \| | | | / / | | | :::::::: ::::::::| L \
\ \ | | |/ /| | | .-'| :::::::: ::::::::| | \
`.`. | | .'.' | | |/ /`L :::::::: ::::::::| | L
| `.`-.____|.-'.-' | | | <`. \ :::::::: ::::::::| | |
| | `-.______.-' | \| |_`::\ `. :::::::: ::::::::| F |
| J\ | | | | /: \::. \:::::::: ::::::::F / |
| L\|--| | _.--|:: `::\ `.:::::: .:::::::J / F
J J |\\|-.____ |__.-' |: \::. \:::: ::::::::F .' J
L \| >|| `--' J |' .`::\ `.:' .::::::::/ .' F
J |//JJ | L |---. .--\::. \---. .---. <---< J
L |< |J |\=/| ( _ \=/ _ `::\ `. \=/ _ \=/ _ \ /
J |\\|J | | / )_) | (_) \::. \ | (_) | (_) | /
\ |--|J |//\\ / //\ //`::\ `./\ //\ / .'
\| |L ` )/ )` `' '|`---// `---// `\::. \ `---// `---' .'
VK________| L_\ ' /___/ ' | |___//______//_____`::\ |___//_________.'_________
F F J`` -'| | | | | \:_|
`-' | "" | J ` |
| | L | |\ |\ /| /| |\ /|
| | \ | | \ | \ // // | \ || |\
J | `. | ||\\ ||\\ // // ||\\ || ||
L F )`---\ || >> || \\ / | << || \\ || ||
| J / `. ||// || || //|| \\ || || || ||
J J ( `-. |// | \ || |/ || \\ | \ || || ||
`-.__/ `---. `. |<< ||\\|| || >> ||\\|| || ||
| J `. ) ||\\ || \ | || // || \ | || ||
/ | `-----' || >> || || || // || || \\ ||
/ F ||// || || || << || || \\||
J J | / |/ || |/ \\ |/ || \ |
J | |/ \| \| \| \|
`-.-' K I N G O F T H E M O N S T E R S

Hansjoerg Malthaner <hansjoerg.malthaner@nurfuerspam.de> wrote:
>R. Dan Henry schrieb:
>
>> Having just purchased a new computer for the first time in eight
>> years, one of the first things I did was download two bright young
>> roguelikes which my old computer found a bit too demanding to run at a
>> good speed.
>
>I'm feeling sorry for the lack of efficiency, but lately the tendency
>iof H-World is to become slower and slower. One of ther reasons is the
>graphics, the game make more and more use of heavily layered images, and
>features like semi-transparent images and recoloring images on the fly.
>
>But the biggest 'problem' is movingh more and more functionality from
>the core into Lua scripts. This is good for people who want to write
>their own game modules - the more functionality there is in the scripts,
>the more they can alter and customize.
>
>But Lua is noticeably slower than compiled C++, and the slowdown gets
>noticeable. But I think this is the price to pay for heavvy use of
>scripting.

Is the object of H-World development to create a system of creating
roguelikes that requires as much study and practice as learning C++ but
with far less potential for return on that investment?

--
.-'`-.
/ | | \
/ | | \
|___|_|__ |
||<o>| <o>`|
|| J_ )|
`|`-'__`-'|/
| `--' |
.-| |_
.-' \ / | |`-.
.-' `. /| | \
/ ````' | | \
|_____ | | L
.-' ___ `-. F F | | ||`-.___
.'.-' | `-. `. J J / | || _.>
/ /| | |`. \ | | |/ | ||_.-'
/ / | | | `. `. F F | |==============================
J / | | | \ L J J | | `:::::::. `:::::::.
FJ | | | |L J/ / | \ :::::::. :::::::\
J |() | () | () | () | J L/ | | ::::::: :::::::L
| F | .-'_ \ | | LJ | / L :::::::: :::::::J
| L | / \\ | | | L | | :::::::: ::::::::L
| L || ):|| | | | /| L :::::::: ::::::::|
J | ||:._.'::|| | | |----' | | :::::::: ::::::::| .---.
J | |J:::::::|| | | | _/\ | :::::::: ::::::::| /(@ o`.
LJ | \:::::/ | | | |---'\ | | :::::::: ::::::::| | /^^^
J L | `-:-' | | | F | \ | J :::::::: ::::::::| \ . \vvv
LJ()| () | () | () | F F | \ \--._L :::::::: ::::::::| \ `--'
J \ | | | | J J \ | | :::::::: ::::::::| \ `.
\ \| | | | / / | | | :::::::: ::::::::| L \
\ \ | | |/ /| | | .-'| :::::::: ::::::::| | \
`.`. | | .'.' | | |/ /`L :::::::: ::::::::| | L
| `.`-.____|.-'.-' | | | <`. \ :::::::: ::::::::| | |
| | `-.______.-' | \| |_`::\ `. :::::::: ::::::::| F |
| J\ | | | | /: \::. \:::::::: ::::::::F / |
| L\|--| | _.--|:: `::\ `.:::::: .:::::::J / F
J J |\\|-.____ |__.-' |: \::. \:::: ::::::::F .' J
L \| >|| `--' J |' .`::\ `.:' .::::::::/ .' F
J |//JJ | L |---. .--\::. \---. .---. <---< J
L |< |J |\=/| ( _ \=/ _ `::\ `. \=/ _ \=/ _ \ /
J |\\|J | | / )_) | (_) \::. \ | (_) | (_) | /
\ |--|J |//\\ / //\ //`::\ `./\ //\ / .'
\| |L ` )/ )` `' '|`---// `---// `\::. \ `---// `---' .'
VK________| L_\ ' /___/ ' | |___//______//_____`::\ |___//_________.'_________
F F J`` -'| | | | | \:_|
`-' | "" | J ` |
| | L | |\ |\ /| /| |\ /|
| | \ | | \ | \ // // | \ || |\
J | `. | ||\\ ||\\ // // ||\\ || ||
L F )`---\ || >> || \\ / | << || \\ || ||
| J / `. ||// || || //|| \\ || || || ||
J J ( `-. |// | \ || |/ || \\ | \ || || ||
`-.__/ `---. `. |<< ||\\|| || >> ||\\|| || ||
| J `. ) ||\\ || \ | || // || \ | || ||
/ | `-----' || >> || || || // || || \\ ||
/ F ||// || || || << || || \\||
J J | / |/ || |/ \\ |/ || \ |
J | |/ \| \| \| \|
`-.-' K I N G O F T H E M O N S T E R S

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.misc,rec.games.roguelike.development (More info?)

On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 10:03:55 +0200, Hansjoerg Malthaner
<hansjoerg.malthaner@nurfuerspam.de> wrote:

>R. Dan Henry schrieb:
>
>> Having just purchased a new computer for the first time in eight
>> years, one of the first things I did was download two bright young
>> roguelikes which my old computer found a bit too demanding to run at a
>> good speed.
>
>I'm feeling sorry for the lack of efficiency, but lately the tendency
>iof H-World is to become slower and slower. One of ther reasons is the
>graphics, the game make more and more use of heavily layered images, and
>features like semi-transparent images and recoloring images on the fly.

True. Changing graphics based on my equipment is nifty and it does
serve a practical purpose (although the little "equippy characters" of
Angband do an only slightly inferior job for much less effort). No
trying to kill the Big Boss Baddie with a shovel, here.

>But Lua is noticeably slower than compiled C++, and the slowdown gets
>noticeable. But I think this is the price to pay for heavvy use of
>scripting.

Yes, it is.

>Also currently, I'm just lazy.

:) I think we all suffer from that at least a little. Well, if not lazy, easily distracted.

>I think ABCGi suggestion is good. The feedback forum will keep the ideas
>and in the forum they can be discussed by a largher group of people:
>http://www.simugraph.com/forum/

Will do. Although I don't know that you'll actually have a larger
group there, they're more focused.

>That's right. Shwoing things at their last remembered position once they
> get out of sight seems to work well on items which do not move, but it
>creates strange effects for moving beings.
>
>Currently the only solution seems to eb to tell the display code which
>things can move and which cannot, and let moveables vanish from display
>once they are out of sight.

You could just put a timer on it. Three turns for friendly creatures,
maybe more for hostiles where you might want a warning.

>> Items purchased from traders which don't fit into
>> my pack seem to just disappear.
>
>Right. H-World needs something like the overflow handling from Angband;
>probably its ok to use the same solution: items that don't fit into the
>backpack (as a result of some action) drop to the ground at the players
>location.

This is a pretty major bug. Either drop to the ground or else just
check for fit before allowing the trade. "The trader laughs. 'You
cannot carry this!'"

>> Missile weapons still need improvement
>
>Actually missile weapons are non-existent currently. The only kind of
>ranged attack is to throw things, and beside pebbles there are no
>throwing weapons yet. Throwing is also very buggy. I guess once I go at
>the ranged weapons, I'll have to rework part of the throwing code, too.

Throwing from the weapon hand is a missile attack. Not much of one,
which is why I said it needs improvement. Throwing from the backpack
might be considered a bad idea, but allow throwing from the belt and
have small throwing weapons that can go there: darts, pebbles, knives.
Maybe let them stack a bit. Then you can make some reasonable throwing
attacks at least.

Either less stuff should be in the grass (why wouldn't the natives
have gathered it up) or else start the player with a real bare
minimum: torch (even that's not necessary if you assure there is light
for sale), a weak weapon (club), backpack.

Oops. I'll save the rest of my comments for your web forum.

Richard Daniel Henry
danhenry@inreach.com

Hansjoerg Malthaner wrote:

> R. Dan Henry schrieb:

<snip>

> That's right. Shwoing things at their last remembered position once they
> get out of sight seems to work well on items which do not move, but it
> creates strange effects for moving beings.
>
> Currently the only solution seems to eb to tell the display code which
> things can move and which cannot, and let moveables vanish from display
> once they are out of sight.

You could always do something like have the character be able to
remember individual monsters, so that beastie #45 only shows up once in
the remembered positions. Have it linked to the character's perception
or mental abilities in some way perhaps.

Graeme Dice
--
"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology
has exceeded our humanity."

R. Dan Henry wrote:

> On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 10:03:55 +0200, Hansjoerg Malthaner
>
>>R. Dan Henry wrote:

>>That's right. Shwoing things at their last remembered position once they
>>get out of sight seems to work well on items which do not move, but it
>>creates strange effects for moving beings.
>>
>>Currently the only solution seems to eb to tell the display code which
>>things can move and which cannot, and let moveables vanish from display
>>once they are out of sight.
>
> You could just put a timer on it. Three turns for friendly creatures,
> maybe more for hostiles where you might want a warning.

With the current implementation of the view a timer will be difficult,
but from a UI design viewpoint this is a very good suggestion. I'll see
if I can change the view to support suchlike timers, until then, I'll
tryb to clean up movables once they drop out of sight.

>>>Items purchased from traders which don't fit into
>>>my pack seem to just disappear.
>>
>>Right. H-World needs something like the overflow handling from Angband
> [...]
>
> This is a pretty major bug. Either drop to the ground or else just
> check for fit before allowing the trade. "The trader laughs. 'You
> cannot carry this!'"

I've started to fix this problem. Now the items drop to the floor at the
PCs location, and a message is displayed. It needs some more testing and
maybe a better message but I think the fix will make it into the next
release.

>>>Missile weapons still need improvement
>>
>>Actually missile weapons are non-existent currently. The only kind of
>>ranged attack is to throw things, and beside pebbles there are no
>>throwing weapons yet. Throwing is also very buggy. I guess once I go at
>>the ranged weapons, I'll have to rework part of the throwing code, too.
>
> Throwing from the weapon hand is a missile attack. Not much of one,
> which is why I said it needs improvement. Throwing from the backpack
> might be considered a bad idea, but allow throwing from the belt and
> have small throwing weapons that can go there: darts, pebbles, knives.
> Maybe let them stack a bit. Then you can make some reasonable throwing
> attacks at least.

It was reported that throwing pebbles from the belt does cause a crash.
(I'm not sure if theis is still the case in current versions.) But it's
one of the intended ways to use have throwing weapons.

Missiles (including pebbles and knifes) will stack. Pebbles already
stack, up to 20.

> Either less stuff should be in the grass (why wouldn't the natives
> have gathered it up) or else start the player with a real bare
> minimum: torch (even that's not necessary if you assure there is light
> for sale), a weak weapon (club), backpack.

I'll clean up the wilderness. (Well, I had promised that at least two
times already. The reason for the lots of stuff lying around is that it
is handy during debug sessions. But some day I'll do it. H-World needs a
wizard mode for debgging.)

> Richard Daniel Henry
> danhenry@inreach.com

Kind regards,
Hajo

Hansjoerg Malthaner wrote:
> R. Dan Henry wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 10:03:55 +0200, Hansjoerg Malthaner
>>
>>> R. Dan Henry wrote:
>

>>> That's right. Shwoing things at their last remembered position once
>>> they get out of sight seems to work well on items which do not move,
>>> but it creates strange effects for moving beings.
>>>
>>> Currently the only solution seems to eb to tell the display code
>>> which things can move and which cannot, and let moveables vanish from
>>> display once they are out of sight.
>>

>> You could just put a timer on it. Three turns for friendly creatures,
>> maybe more for hostiles where you might want a warning.
>

> With the current implementation of the view a timer will be difficult,
> but from a UI design viewpoint this is a very good suggestion. I'll see
> if I can change the view to support suchlike timers, until then, I'll
> tryb to clean up movables once they drop out of sight.

Another idea: Remove all the old out-of-view images when the player
spots the creature again. That would assume that the player recognizes
all the creatures he has seen before, but I think this is reasonable.

(Followup-To rec.games.roguelike.development)