P5-100

G

Okay, so I pulled this ol' chip out of the gateway box and was looking at it, and put it back in. Damn thing wouldnt go in so I forced it in... bent up some pins... that pissed me off so I spat on it and threw it across the room into a concrete wall... the next morning when I was relaxed and well rested, I picked it up, and used a knife to bend all the pins straight... miracuously it fits back into the socket... havn't fired it up yet, any takers on the bet that it will or won't work?

-AMD's are not for the faint of heart... Intels? those are for newbies :eek:)-

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
BTW that board will accept up to a Pentium ODP 200 MMX. That is, the ovedrive processor. Cost as little as $40. A good investment to keep the old thing going for simple task if you know someone who can use it.

Suicide is painless...........

G

arent the 200 MMX's Socket 7? this is a socket 5 mobo

-AMD's are not for the faint of heart... Intels? those are for newbies :eek:)-

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You have to get the Overdrive version. Intel made a factory overdrive version by adding a resister card to the top (for dual voltage) and then putting a custom heatsink/fan on it. It comes packaged complete. I just checked Pricewatch and the cheapest I found it for was $47. Looked under cpu's menue-overdrive and upgrade, it's listed under both catagories.

Suicide is painless...........