BX/PIII 1000 Coppermine support ?

G

I know that the internal multiplier on Intel chips is 'fixed', and system clock speed is adjusted for overclocking. So, why is it necessary to set the motherboard jumpers for 4x, 5x, 6x, 7x 8x, 8.5x etc ?? Apparently, the appropriate setting is "given" based on your processor's rated speed.

What difference does it make ?? I mean, if the internal multiplier does the multiplying, shouldn't it take whatever system clock speed you give it and use the multiplier in the chip to set the ultimate processor speed ?

So, why is 8x the 'top end' on a P3B-F ? I want to try one of these 1000E processors, especially since the price dropped again. (or an 850, for that matter)

Anybody have a clue about this.. ?

G

BXperts help !!

Can ASUS P3B-F support coppermine processors with multipliers above 8x ??

Why are there multiplier settings on the board ?

G

Buy AMD if you want to really tool with that; oh yeah buy an Abit or Asus mobo for the easiest results too.

DavidCPA

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
Based on the BIOS info on Asus' website, your board should handle the P3-850E with no problems using the lastest BIOS update. It even indicates that multipliers equal to or greater than 8.5x are supported. Here is the link:

http://www.asus.com/Products/Motherboard/bios_slot1.html#p3b-f

I only wish my motherboard was as well supported by the manufacturer (Intel WS440BX in a Gateway). I am also looking to upgrade to the P3-1000E, but I can't even find confirmation that my board will handle the CuMine processors. Still trying to decide whether to risk the ~$320 to find out if this processor will work. Best of luck on your upgrade.

Damon0306

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2001
Dunno if this helps you guys or not, but I just upgraded my ABIT BH6 from a PII-450 to a PIII-850 retail box, everthing runs great, its the highest pre-set processor setting in my BIOS.

My question is, if I were to have bought a PIII-1000MHZ 100MHZ could I have manually set the settings in my BIOS and have been able to run the 1000MHZ PIII?

If that is the case I am sorry I bought the PIII-850/100MHZ

lakedude

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I have an Aopen ax6b+ mobo with bx chipset that started out with a cel300a in it. The company does not say outright that it will take a cel600 but it does (after a bios upgrade). The 600 is running a multiplier of 9 which the bios never gets around to showing that it is capable of doing but it works anyway. The whole point is that while I do not for sure know the answer to your question I suspect that your mobo CAN run the faster chip. I read somewhere that the bios "recycles" the lower multipliers to get higher ones. Something like 4.5x=9x and 5x=9.5x and so on.

I would like to know the answer to this question also because someday I would like to upgrade to 1G or more.

Oops! It may be that mine can and yours can't because the ax6b+ is jumperless and supports 133Mhz fsb. Sorry if this is true.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by lakedude on 02/16/01 09:09 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
OK, if your board supports auto-detection of the multiplier, as most do, set it to auto, get the latest bios, and it should work. Theoretically any BX boards that support Coppermines and have recent BIOS should run any multipler that they can detect. There are 4 varieties of the 1000 available, 133 MHz and recently 100MHz versions in both socket and slot configuration. Some of these are available in 2 voltage steppings as well, but that is not a concern here. If your motherboard supports 133 MHz FSB, you can use the higher performing 133 bus processor by autodetecting the multiplier or setting it to 7.5 and the sytem bus at 133. If not, get the 1000/100 and set it to auto-detect.

Suicide is painless...........

G

I would probably buy the EB version if the current setup could make it to the 133MHz setting (it's an 800E). I had it at 124sysclock/31MHzPCI, and Win2000 Pro (NT5) began reporting errors and shut the software down. CPU usage is at 100% during these database searches, because of constant calculations and hardcore memory/HD work. I backed off to 110/36.7PCI, which is stable. ASUS probe shows the CPU pushing to nearly 60C stably during these searches before the errors show up.

60C is kind of high but I actually think it is the chipset sitting below the CPU fan (it's an ORB) that is causing problems. I should swap the CPU card/CPU out with the CPU card/CPU in this P3B-F system (gaming/browsing toy), which sails coolly at 140/35 (posting the 700E @ 980MHz). If it is stable in the workstation at 140 system clock, then I guess it is the 800E.

Also, I saw the BIOS update comments at ASUS website for rev. 1006, stating the 8.5x "and above". That seems to indicate support for a chip like the 1000E (not available when the BIOS release was published in June ?). But if the chipset is to blame for the failure of the 800E to post using 133, then it looks like I should get the 1000E. It would post 1100MHz at the 110sysclock/36.7PCI.

I could live with that.. Now, if the 1000E could just drop below the $200 mark !

If the 800E is to blame, and the BX chipset survives a test at 140 with the 700E CPU, the 1000EB looks more attractive. Chances are that I could get it to post with the 140MHz/35PCI setting, but that would only post 1050MHz.

Whic would be faster..
110FSB/36.7PCI, 10x multiplier posting 1.1GHZ, or
140FSB/35PCI, 7,5 multilier posting 1.05GHz ??

It depends on whether the BX chipset does OK at 140. I know that the PCI cards are stable at 36.7, and I think it is reasonable to assume that the 10x 1000E chip can post 1.1GHz. There's a 105FSB/35PCI option as well, if 110 is too much.

G

Thanx for the site address. My P3B-F has rev.1004, which is two versions behind the one that shows 8.5x "and above". This sounds like good news, though I'd like to see the multipliers actually listed, even if the chips weren't available at the time.

And by the way, who is this YOYO. I wouldn't buy a Via chipset for installing at work without substantial testing at home, and all I want is a faster chip, not a system rebuild.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I believe your CPU was the limitting factor. Of coarse, you could always put a heatsink on the northbridge, I have some thin self adhesive 486/66 OEM Intel heatsinks that would do the job.
The PIII normally will NOT overclock reliably past 980MHz without HUGE volatge increases, unless you get the luck of the draw or get a 1GHz Chip. So test it with the 700 at 980 and see if it works. Also, beware of memory errors that cause BSOD at bootup or file seeking errors.

Suicide is painless...........

TRENDING THREADS