Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Computer wont recognize repaired USB

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
July 23, 2012 2:51:08 PM

Friend of mine gave me his broken Razer Nostromo as he crushed the usb beyond repair. He already ordered a new one, and said if I can fix it, that it's mine to keep. I figured easy, take another USB, cut damaged portion or former, solder the wires, plug her in and done.... Well sadly this didn't work out as easy as I thought it would. I have it soldered up, and the computer will recognize that I plugged something in, but it wont install drivers. Just says failed to recognize device, or something to that effect. Anyone have any idea what it could be? I tried a whole lot of things, couldn't figure it out.
July 23, 2012 6:59:22 PM

Probably the wires are not connected properly, although I'm sure you were looking for some secret USB wire fixing potion.
m
l

Best solution

July 25, 2012 5:08:22 AM

Re-do the soldering and this time around, stagger the splices and insulate the joints well. Check polarity using a voltmeter before you solder.
Related resources
August 2, 2012 11:39:21 AM

Best answer selected by TheShortBus.
m
l
August 2, 2012 11:41:34 AM

Ubrales said:
Re-do the soldering and this time around, stagger the splices and insulate the joints well. Check polarity using a voltmeter before you solder.

golden, had to borrow a voltmeter from work to check it, and figure out insulation/stagger (youtube video ftw), but I got a "new" peripheral for my computer. TY!
m
l
August 2, 2012 1:17:05 PM

Glad it worked out! Thanks!
m
l
!