upgrading p2

HI Guys,I have a pretty lousy computer by todays standards a P2 233 at 66 bus 64 megram on a fx mb but its does its thing pretty well but Im determined to try to overclock this "beast",now the mb doesnt support anything over66 and but i nknow the julmper settings to make it go at 266 or 300.I read somethimng about blocked multiplyers does my early p2 have them, does that mean that if i set the jumpers for 266 or 300 it wont work or fry up?OR should I go ahead and do it.I know that it wont make a BIG difference but im very curious.Another question about another compurt i own :will a K62 processior rated at 2.2v core work on mb supplying 2.5v or ( very risky or plain crazy). I would appreciate sane advice fellas . THANKS
4 answers Last reply
More about upgrading
  1. 1.) Yes you can run your 233 at 300 as long as you have decent cooling.
    2.) You can run your 2.2v AMd at 2.5v. I in fact have used them at 2.8v without problems. You must have adequate cooling. And in case you did not know, with any of the 350MHz or faster K6-2's, setting the board to 2x sets the processor to 6x.

Suicide is painless...........
  2. BTW, if your running Windows 95, you'll need to download and install the AMD update before going 300 or higher.

3. Thanks nimble knucle i really appreciate your help, but what would adequate cooling be for a p2 233@300 (you know the type with yhe plastic box around) , another fan or heat sink is best? No i didnt know about the multiplyer riddle in k62s thats great! Another question what do blocked multiplyer on a p2 mean, multiplyers are usually on boards and Ive never seen multiplyers on chips so ho do they block these babies, thanks.

less confused
  4. If you have a heatsink with a fairly large fan, your probably OK. An easy way to tell is to put your hand on the heatsink while running a testing program, if it's warm, your ok, but if it's almost hot enough to burn you, better get something else. As a replacement, any cheap dual fan should be adequate.
    On the K6-2's to run at higher voltage, I recommend any oversized Celeron fan, but I prefer the large PIII cooler, which comes with PIII 933's and is available separately at several distributors for around $10. Thisw unit is almost silent in a closed case and will keep your processor extrememly happy. In order to use it on a Socket 7 I recommend ditching the factory clip and using a standard Pentium heatsink clip.

Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs