Choosing a Monitor?

Hi Guys,

I am in need of some serious help. I'm in the process of building a high-end gaming system, but I know little to nothing about what to look for in a monitor. I want something that will make the most of my set-up. I currently have a very generic 22" monitor I bought quite some time ago. It does have 1080p Full HD support, however with the constantly changing technological world I feel that this simply won't 'get along' with my new system.

Here are the specs so far:

Intel Core i7 3770 3.4 GHz CPU, Turbo Boost 3.9GHz
nVidia GeForce GTX670 2GB X 2 (Dual)
Dual Channel 16gb DDR3 RAM (1600 Mhz)
120GB SATA 3 SSD +
3.5" 1TB / 1000GB SATA III 7200rpm HDD
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit

I don't know a great deal about computers, so any advice and input onto the system would also be greatly appreciated.

Thank you so much.
10 answers Last reply
More about choosing monitor
  1. monitors tend to be the slowest part of a computer system to be outdated, but what sort of response time does your exhisting monitor have? and what is its maximum resolution as these are the 2 factors i would base the choice on?
  2. I have never had any response issues with my current screen, and it's currently running 1920 x 1080.

http://www.viewsonic.com.au/products/lcd/VX2433wm.php?

This is my current monitor.

Will I be able to get the most out of my system with this monitor? I would hate to spend so much on a system only to be limited by something as silly as a monitor (;
  3. Thats actually a very good monitor.You dont need to bother buying a new one.
  4. Oh fantastic. Am I wasting the GPU's potential by only using one monitor though? Or does it not work that way? xD

:edit: Also, what about hertz? My monitor runs at 60Hz. Should I get a monitor that supports 120Hz? I've heard mixed opinions about them, and I'm not sure what's fact and what's opinion
  5. ive found that 60 is fine, and i was running 2 monitors and went back to 1. i just didnt need the 2nd one. my recommendation is that if you have a use for it, go nuts, but you dont have to waste money on it.

also id be very happy with that monitor
  6. Your monitor is very good.

If you want, you cn get a very cheap utility monitor and use it for stuff like CHAT/Browsing, etc.

E.G I use my main monitor for gaming and when I am waiting for something to happen ingame I am usualy on my 2nd monitor browsing ent, yotube, chatting on irc or just seeing who is speaking on ventrilo/teamspeak whilst I am in a group.

THe utility monitor doesnt need to be good and can be obtained dirt cheap, recommend that you get same size though, but u can even get smaller wont make much difference.
  7. Like all the other members said here before me, that monitor is a good one.
    You could go for a maybe a 3 monitor setup, to fully utilize both those 670s in SLi.
    But it's all upto you. :)
  8. I will second what Gman said. Having two 670s in sli and running a single 1080p monitor is complete overkill. Even a single 670 running that resolution can be overkill for most uses. I would recommend getting a triple monitor setup to get the most out of your setup. You could also get a nice 1600p IPS monitor, however, they are not the best for gaming if you are worried about response time. Another option is to get a 120 hz monitor, but I have seen very mixed reviews as to whether it makes a difference or not. It really varies depending on the person I guess.
  9. This topic has been moved from the section Graphics & Displays to section Computer Peripherals by Mousemonkey
  10. First of all I'd like to thank everyone for their contribution and I appreciate your input on the matter.
    @roadkill922
    That's the answer I was after. I am really contemplating whether or not two GTX 670's in SLI will be a benefit to me running a single monitor. I may update to a secondary 24" monitor at some stage, however it won't be for gaming, and I don't think I'll be running 5670 x 1620 any time soon.
    Thank you all for your help
Ask a new question

Read More

Flat Panel Monitors Monitors Peripherals