MN-700 NM-720 & WEP key

My wireless network suddenly decided to stop connecting to
the base station (several months after successful setup).
So I un-installed and reinstalled the broadband network
utility on both the base station and notebook adapter. I
had no problem re-installing and configuring the base
station, but when I went to set up the wireless network on
my laptop, it refuses the WEP key. I get an error message
saying that the network key is incorrect. I know the key
is correct...any suggestions?
10 answers Last reply
More about tomshardware

    Which version of Windows is the wireless client using?

    Also to be 100% sure of the WEP key sign into http://192.168.2.1 to
    check it.

    Christy wrote:

    > My wireless network suddenly decided to stop connecting to
    > the base station (several months after successful setup).
    > So I un-installed and reinstalled the broadband network
    > utility on both the base station and notebook adapter. I
    > had no problem re-installing and configuring the base
    > station, but when I went to set up the wireless network on
    > my laptop, it refuses the WEP key. I get an error message
    > saying that the network key is incorrect. I know the key
    > is correct...any suggestions?

    assistance.

    time.

    My base station is using Windows 2000, the wireless client
    is on XP.

    The taskbar shows that I have full signal strength and it
    shows there are "packets" sent just none received.

    I have checked, and rechecked the WEP key, even copied and
    pasted it from the base unit to the wireless.

    Any suggestions?

    THANKS!

    http://www.google.com/grphp?hl=en&tab=wg&q= or
    >http://news.google.com/froogle?hl=en&tab=nf&ned=us&q=
    before wasting our
    >time.
    >.

    Christy, it sounds like you haven't received the DHCP feed from the base
    station. Go to the Command Prompt and type in "ipconfig" without the
    quotes. If it returns a 169.x.x.x address, you're not receiving the feed.

    You could try after that typing in "ipconfig /release" (again without
    quotes) and then "ipconfig /renew" (no quotes) to kick it into gear. You
    may need to restart your system. If it still doesn't receive the feed,
    power down the base station for a couple minutes and then connect the power
    again.
    --
    Chris H.
    Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC

    "Christy" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > My base station is using Windows 2000, the wireless client
    > is on XP.
    >
    > The taskbar shows that I have full signal strength and it
    > shows there are "packets" sent just none received.
    >
    > I have checked, and rechecked the WEP key, even copied and
    > pasted it from the base unit to the wireless.
    >
    > Any suggestions?
    >
    > THANKS!

    Stop using the BNU on the wireless client as it is not needed on Windows
    XP computers.

    Christy wrote:

    > My base station is using Windows 2000, the wireless client
    > is on XP.
    >
    > The taskbar shows that I have full signal strength and it
    > shows there are "packets" sent just none received.
    >
    > I have checked, and rechecked the WEP key, even copied and
    > pasted it from the base unit to the wireless.
    >
    > Any suggestions?
    >
    > THANKS!

    assistance.

    time.

    Thanks for the suggestion...when I type in "ipconfig" it
    returns the values:

    Conection-specific DNS Suffix:
    Autoconfiguration IP Address: 169.254.137.245
    Subnet Mask: 25.25.0.0
    Default Gateway:

    When I type "ipconig/release" it returns the same vealues.
    When I type "ipconfig/renew" it gives me an error message
    saying,
    "An error occurred while renewing interface Wireless
    Network Connection: An operation was attempted on
    something that is not a socket."

    Where do I go from here?

    THANKS!

    >Christy, it sounds like you haven't received the DHCP feed
    from the base
    >station. Go to the Command Prompt and type in "ipconfig"
    without the
    >quotes. If it returns a 169.x.x.x address, you're not
    receiving the feed.

    >You could try after that typing in "ipconfig /release"
    (again without
    >quotes) and then "ipconfig /renew" (no quotes) to kick it
    into gear. You
    >may need to restart your system. If it still doesn't
    receive the feed,
    >power down the base station for a couple minutes and then
    connect the power
    >again.
    >--
    >Chris H.
    >Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC
    >Tablet Creations - http://nicecreations.us/
    >Associate Expert
    >

    >"Christy" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    message
    >> My base station is using Windows 2000, the wireless client
    >> is on XP.
    >>
    >> The taskbar shows that I have full signal strength and it
    >> shows there are "packets" sent just none received.
    >>
    >> I have checked, and rechecked the WEP key, even copied and
    >> pasted it from the base unit to the wireless.
    >>
    >> Any suggestions?
    >>
    >> THANKS!

    Your TCP/IP stack is hosed. You might try posting in a Windows
    newsgroup unless someone knows how to reset the TCP/IP stack on Windows
    XP over here.

    Christy wrote:

    > Thanks for the suggestion...when I type in "ipconfig" it
    > returns the values:
    >
    > Conection-specific DNS Suffix:
    > Autoconfiguration IP Address: 169.254.137.245
    > Subnet Mask: 25.25.0.0
    > Default Gateway:
    >
    > When I type "ipconig/release" it returns the same vealues.
    > When I type "ipconfig/renew" it gives me an error message
    > saying,
    > "An error occurred while renewing interface Wireless
    > Network Connection: An operation was attempted on
    > something that is not a socket."
    >
    > Where do I go from here?
    >
    > THANKS!

    assistance.

    time.

    I did a search on the Microsoft KB & I Found the two following articles.

    http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=811259

    http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=817571

    THey will give you directions on fixing this issue.

    Christy wrote:

    > Thanks for the suggestion...when I type in "ipconfig" it
    > returns the values:
    >
    > Conection-specific DNS Suffix:
    > Autoconfiguration IP Address: 169.254.137.245
    > Subnet Mask: 25.25.0.0
    > Default Gateway:
    >
    > When I type "ipconig/release" it returns the same vealues.
    > When I type "ipconfig/renew" it gives me an error message
    > saying,
    > "An error occurred while renewing interface Wireless
    > Network Connection: An operation was attempted on
    > something that is not a socket."
    >
    > Where do I go from here?
    >
    > THANKS!

    assistance.

    time.
  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.broadbandnet.hardware (More info?)

    THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! I followed the steps
    outlined in the KB articles, reinstalling the TCP/IP and
    it works again!

    I appreciate all of your help!

  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.broadbandnet.hardware (More info?)

    Christy wrote:

    > My wireless network suddenly decided to stop connecting to
    > the base station (several months after successful setup).
    > So I un-installed and reinstalled the broadband network
    > utility on both the base station and notebook adapter. I
    > had no problem re-installing and configuring the base
    > station, but when I went to set up the wireless network on
    > my laptop, it refuses the WEP key. I get an error message
    > saying that the network key is incorrect. I know the key
    > is correct...any suggestions?
    This happened to me too. I think an interloper has got into your system,
    but MS says Im crazy. But what else can it be. I go to set my time on
    MSBN and it will be on a dif time zone everytime. Also my weps dont work
    either.
  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.broadbandnet.hardware (More info?)

    Did you not see that we fixed her issue. It was the fact that her
    TCP/IP stack was hosed. Also I think Microsoft is right in calling you
    a lunatic.

    ElKabong wrote:
    > This happened to me too. I think an interloper has got into your system,
    > but MS says Im crazy. But what else can it be. I go to set my time on
    > MSBN and it will be on a dif time zone everytime. Also my weps dont work
    > either.

    assistance.

    time.

Routers Wireless Network Networking