[Crawl] playing Mummy: some advice needed

Last response: in Video Games
August 4, 2004 12:32:21 AM

Hiho

So after all i've come to playing a mummy necromancer....

first i found out that all is first: find a suitable place at level1 and
wait like a spider in the web till some unaware monster comes around (what
indeed means: have a lot of time by your side and dont mind to have 100.000
Turns played at Level 1)

and 2nd advice: dont be to hasty in joining any religion. as them gods are
known as 'too hasty' and tend to lose temper if u dont pray to them once in
1.000 years....
(damn they are indeed too hasty... at all but since that i forgot to whom i
pray ?)

But besides that, playing a mummy is somewhat what indeed stretch out the
meanings of time till eons. why shall i run for the monsters if i can find a
suitable place to ambush and wait till the monster come to me ?

anyway. i try to play this one out to the excess--- lurking around,
practicing necromancy and dont use any weapon except TIME. (well does the
monster just starve out and will this count exp for me ? anyway)

what further tips can be given to a bandaged one who indeed have no probs
waiting 1000 years till the door besides him falls apart while he's to lazy
to open it ?

--
www.tshq.de ---- German Ressource for Tholian Strategies
Anonymous

On Tue, 3 Aug 2004 20:32:21 +0200, "Andreas Huck"
<blaaaaaaaa@t-online.de> wrote:

>Hiho
>
>So after all i've come to playing a mummy necromancer....

>first i found out that all is first: find a suitable place at level1 and
>wait like a spider in the web till some unaware monster comes around (what
>indeed means: have a lot of time by your side and dont mind to have 100.000
>Turns played at Level 1)

Right. There's no clock on a mummy. That's there big advantage. Don't
ever push harder than you need to.

>and 2nd advice: dont be to hasty in joining any religion.

Exception: Sif Muna. You can just hang out in the ET casting spells,
resting, casting spells, resting, etc. until Sif loves you. I think
all the gods who just like having you in their service won't take
undead, however, so except for Sif Muna, you have a point, as you
can't be keeping up the sacrifices while taking advantage of not
having a clock on.

If you were really stubborn, you could probably get all the books from
Sif Muna, quit the religion, wait out the divine wrath period, then
join the necro god and head out to find your fortune. Bit extreme if
you ask me, but if you really want to maximally exploit your
mumminess...

Richard Daniel Henry
danhenry@inreach.com
Anonymous
August 4, 2004 1:57:41 AM

"R. Dan Henry" <danhenry@inreach.com> wrote in message
news:p hsvg0h3rml9cbg5nbl10itb18802tahv6@4ax.com...
> On Tue, 3 Aug 2004 20:32:21 +0200, "Andreas Huck"
> <blaaaaaaaa@t-online.de> wrote:
> If you were really stubborn, you could probably get all the books from
> Sif Muna, quit the religion, wait out the divine wrath period, then
> join the necro god and head out to find your fortune. Bit extreme if
> you ask me, but if you really want to maximally exploit your
> mumminess...

Takes about 10 minutes if you're smart about setting up your macros. It's
not as awesome as you'd expect.

--
Jeremey
August 4, 2004 7:04:00 AM

Andreas Huck <blaaaaaaaa@t-online.de> shouted:

> first i found out that all is first: find a suitable place at
> level1 and wait like a spider in the web till some unaware
> monster comes around (what indeed means: have a lot of time by
> your side and dont mind to have 100.000 Turns played at Level 1)

I'd not have considered that strategy (too impatient, when a level
is explored - and all those black spaces must under all
circumstances be explored as soon as possible - I go on to the
next).

Next time I'll try a mummy, I'll have a go at this. :)

> and 2nd advice: dont be to hasty in joining any religion.

I second the bit about Sif Muna. You could sit in your corner
casting spells for all eternity, and after a while she'll drop books
when you pray, for you to learn more spells.

> as them gods are known as 'too hasty' and tend to lose temper if u
> dont pray to them once in 1.000 years....

They kicked you out? The only one who ever kicked me out was Nemelex
Xobeh, and I did sweep the dungeon with the vaccuum
cleaner^W^Wportable altar. Turned out he wanted corpses, too, not
just all the junk.

> (damn they are indeed too hasty... at all but since that i forgot
> to whom i pray ?)

Some guy with a long white beard? Yes, Santa Claus, that was it. ;)

[...]

> what further tips can be given to a bandaged one

Don't know. Some thinking reminded me about something that once upon
a time a poster here mentioned (which I don't quite understand but
might be useful); he'd gone into the Hive and got indirectly killed
by yellow wasps (who paralyze, but which shouldn't have any effect
when you're poison resistant, which is what I don't understand
because mummies are poison resistant), while (which I do understand)
the Hive is not very interesting for a mummy as they can't eat, and
most of the final loot there is just food (though some goodies are
lying around, too).

So, I actually reply with a question for people who know better; do
mummies have to fear yellow wasps and similar?

> who indeed have no probs waiting 1000 years till the door besides
> him falls apart while he's to lazy to open it ?

LOL. That's not fair, you know. <giggling silly>

--
Tina the Ducker - a Follower of the Reeking Nuclear Grimace
Anonymous

> I'd not have considered that strategy (too impatient, when a level
> is explored - and all those black spaces must under all
> circumstances be explored as soon as possible - I go on to the
> next).

hehe. the total opposite i play now... currently im at level7 and play
my mummy a very careful way. what means: wait in a save corner---

Dungeon Crawl version 400b26e065t character file.

Ulu the Reanimator (Mummy)
(Level 8 Necromancer)

HP 45/ 45
MP 27/ 27
Str 10 Dex 11 Int 16
AC 13 EV 5 SH 0

Gold : 126
Experience : 8/2910
Play time: 01:04:36(Number of turns: 63078)

You are on level 7.
You are not hungry.
(well thats a statement...)

Inventory:

Jewellery
j - a ring of magical power (right hand)
y - a +4 ring of intelligence (left hand)
B - an uncursed large brass amulet (around neck)

both rings i thing are good picks. so i keep this char as
carefully as possible. dont wanna be dead while i didnt spent the usual
5 jears waiting after every move or sound...

> I second the bit about Sif Muna. You could sit in your corner
> casting spells for all eternity, and after a while she'll drop books
> when you pray, for you to learn more spells.

hmm i came across the temple so far. maybe i think about the sif-muna thing.

> > as them gods are known as 'too hasty' and tend to lose temper if u
> > dont pray to them once in 1.000 years....
>
> They kicked you out? The only one who ever kicked me out was Nemelex
> Xobeh, and I did sweep the dungeon with the vaccuum
> cleaner^W^Wportable altar. Turned out he wanted corpses, too, not
> just all the junk.
hehe its was said that i lost my religion (maybe the god itself grew too old
and was forgotten ?
i was just only waiting some times to grow my stealth-skill

(what is indeed one of my intentions... i just wanna be the stealthyest
mummy ever
bandaged. that stealthy that i only have to wait with my knife in my hands
and the monsters run into it....
!