Which fan for overclocking Athlon 900or1000

winglesslight

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2001
Hi,
I am gonna buy 900 or 1000 Athlon. Anyone recommend any Heatsink and Fan for overclocking Athlon 900/1000Ghz? Is globalwin fop-32 good enough?
If you once attach fan on cpu using thermal paste can you detach it? I read an article someone cracked cpu doing so.

G

yes, you're completely safe detaching it... just be careful with the hinge on the HSF unit. Get the glob winfop-32... it's a great HSF and a good price.... Tom's articles place it at the head of the pack. Don't worry about cracking your cpu, just dont use a sledgehammer to install the HSF..

-AMD's are not for the faint of heart... Intels? those are for newbies :eek:)-

G

sorry, just remembered.... check earlier messages on this.. there's a video out there of a guy installing a global win fop32 and uninstalling it as well..

winglesslight

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2001
I went back up to 13th page of cpu community and I couldn't find 1 fop-32 message.

By the way, do you know safe operating temperature of AMD ATHLON 800 and up?
AMD Athlon techdocs in their website says,

Max Die Temperature is 90 Celcius for 650-1000 and 95 C for 1100 - 1200 Mhz Athlon.

It sounds like almost any fans are ok to use because most of them keep temperature under 60 C.

Does anyone knows where to buy swiftech M370-a0 which is used by tomshardware custom pc in building system article for about $25? Pricewatch.com says it's $50. I want to have quiet fan with noise level under 40 dBA
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by winglesslight on 02/17/01 02:55 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

G

I have been all over the web looking for the best cpu fan for the socket A cpu from AMD. They ALL (if site is recent) will point to Swiftech. And most will say nothing comes close to it, but some do. But they ALL say that it is the most expensive. Think about it though... I went to some CPU faq on the web and read some facts about the life of a amd cpu above 50 degrees celcius... and that is, it loses it quickly, but for every degree lower, it gains a lot more. The swiftech itself without any case fans runs around 35 degrees celcius!!! I, with 2 120mm fans as intakes and a 120mm fan on top of my tower as an exhaust, with a Mars brand cpu cooler (not bad by the way), runs at 42 to 44 celcius. Each fan was like $10, then the tools needed, oh $60 for the dremel for cutting. The swiftech itself pays itself off. But the motherboard might get hot? not sure as mine stays below 35C. Your problem is finding an online store. I have your answer! www.pcboost.com

G

ummm, dont buy a dremmel, don't buy 3 120 cm case fans... just get the global win, make sure you have your 80mm exhaust and intake fans, and you will be fine..

G

If you want your Thunderbird to run cooler, buy the recommended (Tom's Hardware Guide) Socket A CPU Fan - FOP32-1 and install with Arctic Thermal Silver paste, and you'll notice your processor will run cooler. I have a 1 GHZ Tbird installed in an ASUS A7V, that would hit over 50 degrees centigrade frequently, and as I speak now, the CPU is at 41(ASUSPROBE). You can pick them up on the net for under 20. I got mine with the paste for 21.95. I think in the long run it will be a better investment than the chrome orb..Good Luck...

jg38141

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
From all the places I've looked, swiftech is the best, but they cost anywhere from 60-100 bucks, and that's without the fans. For 100 extra dollars, you don't have to overclock to 1200, just buy the 1200 and a fop32 and oc to 1300+. Also as far as Alpha heat sinks go, though they seem to be designed better, real world tests on numerous sites show them performing as well as or worse than the fop designes by global win. And they do so for an extra 10 bucks. So while I really wanted and alpha just to see it up cose, I went whith the fop because it does just as good or better for less cash.

ILLEGALISE BULLETS

winglesslight

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2001
I hear that fop-32 is noisy not as much as fop-38 or swiftech or vantech though.
Im thinking of getting thermaltake's volcano ii it has 36cfm and 4800rpm and rated for 1.5ghz with 31dBA $17 that's quietest and yet powerful fan compared to fop-32 36dBA and 26CFM. I just hope its as good as its rated for.

lrmv

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I use the FOP32-i on my A7V with Athlon 1200 and get temperatures at about 60°C with both 80mm intake and exhaust fans installed. I think that's pretty high although within specs and without instability. This made me order the Swiftech 370. I don't have it yet so I don't know what the difference would be...

<i><font color=purple>Running within specs is the key to a stable computer!</font color=purple></i>

winglesslight

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2001
"I read some facts about the life of a amd cpu above 50 degrees celcius... and that is, it loses it quickly, but for every degree lower, it gains a lot more."
Do you know how fast Athlon dies at 50 C? I read cpu are built to live 10 years, so if we overclock and it dies faster, we can still use it until we need a new pc. So if it lives 4 years wouldn't it be good? by that time new athlon will cost $10 maybe.

G

dumb little question, the fans..can you set them to suck from the outside or blow in, or do you buy them one way or the other.

=Quantum
AO Admin
The Dr.Twister Network
http://ao.drtwister.com