A roguelike webzine!

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack,rec.games.roguelike.adom,rec.games.roguelike.angband,rec.games.roguelike.misc,rec.games.roguelike.development (More info?)

Hello all.

Lately I've been searching the net looking at websites about
rougelikes. There weren't very many, and to be honest most were pretty
boring. It seemed the only *really* interesting and constantly
changing stuff on the net are these R.G.R.* Also a few days ago I saw
a friend reading a magazine 'White Dwarf' which is a monthly magazine
about a table-top collectable war game, War Hammer. So I thought,
wouldn't it be great if there was something like that for Roguelikes!
(If there is something like this, please tell me about it and I'll
crawl off in embarrasment). And so this idea was born:

A roguelike web-zine! (being a magazine, but on the internet).

Now, these things cant just happen instantly, and there are always
problems, but I think I could manage to churn out one of these every
fortnight or so. It would include stuff like interesting
Ascensions/Victories/Winnings, Reviews of some of the lesser-known
roguelikes, tactics, interviews with creators... whatever. So, I
figured I'd throw this out into the open and get some feedback. If
some people could reply and answer the below questions that would be
great. Thanks in advance.

1. Does this whole thing sound like a good idea, or is it just a waste
of time? (Be honest)

2. If it were created, what would be the best format for such a thing?

3. Again, if it were created, what would be the best ways of
distribution (Uploaded onto a site or e-mailed to those who wanted it?

4. What kind of things would you find most interesting in such a
thing?

Just for the records, I *am* only 14, and while I am good at writing,
I'm not *that* good, so other people would probably have to contribute
(or I could just steal stuff off R.G.R.* >:-D ). I have played most
roguelike games at least once, but have played ADOM, Nethack (and its
varient SLASH'EM) and Angband (and a few varients) the most. I am also
a frequent reader of R.G.R.*, and keep up to date about updates and
the like. I've been playing roguelikes for a few years.

So, what do you all think?
68 answers Last reply
More about roguelike webzine
  1. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack,rec.games.roguelike.adom,rec.games.roguelike.angband,rec.games.roguelike.misc,rec.games.roguelike.development (More info?)

    Snip introduction.
    > 1. Does this whole thing sound like a good idea, or is it just a waste
    > of time? (Be honest)
    Well I'll read it, and the idea has potential. On the negative side most
    people who play roguelikes have decent skill with with the internet, and
    with the helpful people in this community you can find a lot of information
    either by asking directly or by searching. On the positive side, like all
    people who are interested in something they like to read about stuff so you
    have that.

    > 2. If it were created, what would be the best format for such a thing?
    As someone else suggested probably web and email. If you do a webpage may I
    offer the following advice. Keep it simple. I do not know HTML and have
    never designed a website, but I do know what I hate when I see one. Busy
    backgrounds, color schemes that clash and are hard to read, large pictures
    on the main page, and annoying midi music.

    > 3. Again, if it were created, what would be the best ways of
    > distribution (Uploaded onto a site or e-mailed to those who wanted it?
    See above.

    > 4. What kind of things would you find most interesting in such a
    > thing?
    Well I would recomend you check out the websites that are available and see
    what they have to offer, there is a huge amount of information out there for
    people to find. If you want people to read your webzine, then you have to
    offer new information or some other reason for people to read. There are
    tons of spoilers out there so that may not be the best way to go. On the
    other hand if you can present articles that are interesting people will read
    them. Chat or email interviews with the maintainer or former maintainers
    would be popular, but considering that most maintainers post relevant
    information to there respective newsgroups finding new information might be
    hard. An interview with the Nethack Devteam would probably be recieved like
    Oprah Winfrey scoring on M. Jackson a few years back. Humor relevent to the
    subject of roguelikes always seems to be welcomed. If people wanted to
    submit something like Nethacks story of Ellora the elvish ranger that was
    well recieved if a bit long for an Ezine. A discourse on strategy if well
    written would probably be welcomed.

    > Just for the records, I *am* only 14, and while I am good at writing,
    > I'm not *that* good, so other people would probably have to contribute
    > (or I could just steal stuff off R.G.R.* >:-D ). I have played most
    > roguelike games at least once, but have played ADOM, Nethack (and its
    > varient SLASH'EM) and Angband (and a few varients) the most. I am also
    > a frequent reader of R.G.R.*, and keep up to date about updates and
    > the like. I've been playing roguelikes for a few years.
    >
    > So, what do you all think?
    Well in all honesty I think it could do well, but it will depend on quality.
    You have people who have an interest, and while there is a ton of pure
    factual information out there, the other side is kind of light. Now here is
    the thing to remember, nothing is free. While the games are free, and I can
    not see your site being anything other then free, it still requires the time
    needed to read it.
  2. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack,rec.games.roguelike.adom,rec.games.roguelike.angband,rec.games.roguelike.misc,rec.games.roguelike.development (More info?)

    l07amesc@allsaints.wa.edu.au (Christopher) wrote in message news:<befbd26b.0408031705.74286203@posting.google.com>...

    > 1. Does this whole thing sound like a good idea, or is it just a waste
    > of time? (Be honest)
    >
    > 2. If it were created, what would be the best format for such a thing?
    >
    > 3. Again, if it were created, what would be the best ways of
    > distribution (Uploaded onto a site or e-mailed to those who wanted it?
    >
    > 4. What kind of things would you find most interesting in such a
    > thing?

    Unless you, personally, want to do a lot of work, or can persuade
    others to do a lot of work, you might consider a Wiki instead. A
    webzine requires a continuing amount of work writing entire articles,
    while a Wiki only needs to have members of the community contribute a
    page now and then. You might look at the ToME Wiki as an example -
    http://wiki.t-o-m-e.net/

    On the downside, a Wiki does require access to a web site with enough
    space, probably a lot more than a webzine.

    Bill
  3. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack,rec.games.roguelike.adom,rec.games.roguelike.angband,rec.games.roguelike.misc,rec.games.roguelike.development (More info?)

    "Christopher" <l07amesc@allsaints.wa.edu.au> wrote in message
    > [snip]
    >
    > Now, these things cant just happen instantly, and there are always
    > problems, but I think I could manage to churn out one of these every
    > fortnight or so. It would include stuff like interesting
    > Ascensions/Victories/Winnings, Reviews of some of the lesser-known
    > roguelikes, tactics, interviews with creators... whatever. So, I
    > figured I'd throw this out into the open and get some feedback. If
    > some people could reply and answer the below questions that would be
    > great. Thanks in advance.
    >
    > 1. Does this whole thing sound like a good idea, or is it just a waste
    > of time? (Be honest)

    Yes, it's probably a waste of time.

    > 2. If it were created, what would be the best format for such a thing?

    ASCII? =P Um . . . mailing list, probably, with some kind of webpage to
    put it all together. Is there such a thing as a plain text webpage?

    If you mean the type of content . . . mostly, information about new
    roguelikes (that are actually in some kind of workable condition), progress
    reports, reviews, and maybe an article or two about things you can do to
    play your roguelikes better (all this, of course, with the stipulation that
    it is a waste of time)

    > 3. Again, if it were created, what would be the best ways of
    > distribution (Uploaded onto a site or e-mailed to those who wanted it?

    See above.

    > 4. What kind of things would you find most interesting in such a
    > thing?

    See above.

    > Just for the records, I *am* only 14, and while I am good at writing,
    > I'm not *that* good, so other people would probably have to contribute

    That's where your model falls apart. It's great to see that you are so
    enthused, but people have enough trouble writing their own roguelikes to
    worry about a magazine that probably not many people will read unless it is
    really well written.

    I'm very impressed that you've found usenet at the ripe young age of 14, tho
    ugh, and your idealism is to be commended.

    > (or I could just steal stuff off R.G.R.* >:-D ). I have played most
    > roguelike games at least once, but have played ADOM, Nethack (and its
    > varient SLASH'EM) and Angband (and a few varients) the most. I am also
    > a frequent reader of R.G.R.*, and keep up to date about updates and
    > the like. I've been playing roguelikes for a few years.

    You've a diverse and long experience with roguelikes too. *is even more
    impressed* You've played more of them than I have.

    Yours,

    James
  4. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack,rec.games.roguelike.adom,rec.games.roguelike.angband,rec.games.roguelike.misc,rec.games.roguelike.development (More info?)

    On Tue, 3 Aug 2004 23:39:56 -0400, "Aguilar, James"
    <jfa1@cec.NOBOTSwustl.edu> wrote:

    >"Christopher" <l07amesc@allsaints.wa.edu.au> wrote in message

    >> 1. Does this whole thing sound like a good idea, or is it just a waste
    >> of time? (Be honest)
    >
    >Yes, it's probably a waste of time.

    This I agree with. I don't see this providing anything the newsgroups
    don't do better. However, playing computer games could also be
    classified as a waste of time. If this is done to get some experience
    making a website and with the understanding that this project will
    probably die after a few months of activity, it could be a valuable
    learning experience and a bit of fun.

    >> 2. If it were created, what would be the best format for such a thing?
    >
    >ASCII? =P Um . . . mailing list, probably, with some kind of webpage to
    >put it all together. Is there such a thing as a plain text webpage?

    Yes, you can put a *.txt page into your website.

    However, if one is looking to actually contribute something of lasting
    value to the roguelike community, contributing material to (an)
    existing website(s) would be the way to go. In particular, there are a
    couple of roguelike review sites and it takes a lot of time to play a
    RL enough to fairly review it, so a second reviewer would probably be
    very welcome.

    Richard Daniel Henry
    danhenry@inreach.com
  5. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack,rec.games.roguelike.adom,rec.games.roguelike.angband,rec.games.roguelike.misc,rec.games.roguelike.development (More info?)

    "Christopher" <l07amesc@allsaints.wa.edu.au> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    [snip]
    > A roguelike web-zine! (being a magazine, but on the internet).
    [snip]

    > 1. Does this whole thing sound like a good idea, or is it just a waste
    > of time? (Be honest)

    Well, a good RL news website would more important for the community but why
    not, sounds good.

    > 2. If it were created, what would be the best format for such a thing?

    HTML?! It's a WEBzine at last.

    > 3. Again, if it were created, what would be the best ways of
    > distribution (Uploaded onto a site or e-mailed to those who wanted it?

    Upload to a site + email for those who want that.

    > 4. What kind of things would you find most interesting in such a
    > thing?

    Reviews, tactics, interviews with creators, roguelike development articles,
    general news.

    > Just for the records, I *am* only 14, and while I am good at writing,
    > I'm not *that* good

    Often I get the impression that most people in the roguelike scene are
    actually people from non-English countries. Most of the people from Poland,
    Germany (like me), Finland etc. probably won't notice any imperfections.

    copx
  6. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack,rec.games.roguelike.adom,rec.games.roguelike.angband,rec.games.roguelike.misc,rec.games.roguelike.development (More info?)

    Christopher <l07amesc@allsaints.wa.edu.au> wrote:

    > 1. Does this whole thing sound like a good idea, or is it just a waste
    > of time? (Be honest)

    This is a nice idea, i like it. Should have been proposed long ago,
    really.

    > 2. If it were created, what would be the best format for such a thing?

    HTML, i think.

    > 3. Again, if it were created, what would be the best ways of
    > distribution (Uploaded onto a site or e-mailed to those who wanted it?

    It should be available on the web, but there should be a mailing list
    as well.

    > 4. What kind of things would you find most interesting in such a
    > thing?

    Every interesting thing that concerns roguelike games should find its
    way to this webzine.

    Here is my proposition: let's start a new post and everyone willing to
    offer help should write a few lines about things they can do to help
    in the creation of such a magazine so we can see an approximate number
    of volunteers.

    Best Regards,

    Alex
  7. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack,rec.games.roguelike.adom,rec.games.roguelike.angband,rec.games.roguelike.misc,rec.games.roguelike.development (More info?)

    "Fitzdraco" <Fitzdraco@yahoo.com> wrote:

    > annoying midi music.

    Tautology :)

    P.
  8. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack,rec.games.roguelike.adom,rec.games.roguelike.angband,rec.games.roguelike.misc,rec.games.roguelike.development (More info?)

    l07amesc@allsaints.wa.edu.au (Christopher) wrote in message news:<befbd26b.0408031705.74286203@posting.google.com>...
    > Hello all.
    >
    > Lately I've been searching the net looking at websites about
    > rougelikes. There weren't very many, and to be honest most were pretty
    > boring. It seemed the only *really* interesting and constantly
    > changing stuff on the net are these R.G.R.* Also a few days ago I saw
    > a friend reading a magazine 'White Dwarf' which is a monthly magazine
    > about a table-top collectable war game, War Hammer. So I thought,
    > wouldn't it be great if there was something like that for Roguelikes!
    > (If there is something like this, please tell me about it and I'll
    > crawl off in embarrasment). And so this idea was born:
    >
    > A roguelike web-zine! (being a magazine, but on the internet).
    >
    > Now, these things cant just happen instantly, and there are always
    > problems, but I think I could manage to churn out one of these every
    > fortnight or so. It would include stuff like interesting
    > Ascensions/Victories/Winnings, Reviews of some of the lesser-known
    > roguelikes, tactics, interviews with creators... whatever. So, I
    > figured I'd throw this out into the open and get some feedback. If
    > some people could reply and answer the below questions that would be
    > great. Thanks in advance.
    >
    > 1. Does this whole thing sound like a good idea, or is it just a waste
    > of time? (Be honest)

    I like it! I'd be interested in contributing some humor pieces or
    fanfics.

    > 2. If it were created, what would be the best format for such a thing?

    HTML, duhhh :-)

    > 3. Again, if it were created, what would be the best ways of
    > distribution (Uploaded onto a site or e-mailed to those who wanted it?

    Put it on a site. I can help with the site if you need help.

    > 4. What kind of things would you find most interesting in such a
    > thing?

    Funny stuff. Pretty much everything I do online I do because it's
    either funny or because I'm learning stuff. Well, you don't really
    learn stuff about the real world in Nethack, so it better be funny.

    > Just for the records, I *am* only 14, and while I am good at writing,
    > I'm not *that* good, so other people would probably have to contribute

    Don't worry, I'm 19 and I'm pretty good at writing. ;-D

    > So, what do you all think?

    I think it's a good idea. We need to find a website host and a good
    domain name. I'll start looking into that now.
  9. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack,rec.games.roguelike.adom,rec.games.roguelike.angband,rec.games.roguelike.misc,rec.games.roguelike.development (More info?)

    nhzine.com is free. Unless anyone has a better idea within 24 hours
    (that's not taken), I think I'll go with that.
  10. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack,rec.games.roguelike.adom,rec.games.roguelike.angband,rec.games.roguelike.misc,rec.games.roguelike.development (More info?)

    "Christopher" <l07amesc@allsaints.wa.edu.au> escribió en el mensaje
    > Hello all.
    >
    > Lately I've been searching the net looking at websites about
    > rougelikes. There weren't very many, and to be honest most were pretty
    > boring. It seemed the only *really* interesting and constantly
    > changing stuff on the net are these R.G.R.* Also a few days ago I saw
    > a friend reading a magazine 'White Dwarf' which is a monthly magazine
    > about a table-top collectable war game, War Hammer. So I thought,
    > wouldn't it be great if there was something like that for Roguelikes!
    > (If there is something like this, please tell me about it and I'll
    > crawl off in embarrasment). And so this idea was born:
    >
    > A roguelike web-zine! (being a magazine, but on the internet).
    >
    > Now, these things cant just happen instantly, and there are always
    > problems, but I think I could manage to churn out one of these every
    > fortnight or so. It would include stuff like interesting
    > Ascensions/Victories/Winnings, Reviews of some of the lesser-known
    > roguelikes, tactics, interviews with creators... whatever. So, I
    > figured I'd throw this out into the open and get some feedback. If
    > some people could reply and answer the below questions that would be
    > great. Thanks in advance.

    I bought Nintendo Power for 5 years, and I didn't even had a N.E.S. I just
    bought it for reading about the games and it was fun. Nobody understood me
    tough... but it gave me creativity boosts...

    > 1. Does this whole thing sound like a good idea, or is it just a waste
    > of time? (Be honest)

    It sounds like a good idea.

    > 2. If it were created, what would be the best format for such a thing?

    HTML.

    > 3. Again, if it were created, what would be the best ways of
    > distribution (Uploaded onto a site or e-mailed to those who wanted it?

    Both

    > 4. What kind of things would you find most interesting in such a
    > thing?

    Interviews, Top-5 Roguelikes in Development, ARTICLES!, A Section of MAD
    ideas
    Previews of games in development, reviews of games...

    > Just for the records, I *am* only 14, and while I am good at writing,
    > I'm not *that* good, so other people would probably have to contribute
    > (or I could just steal stuff off R.G.R.* >:-D ).

    I'm up to contribute, I can give one article /week if you want, be it
    reviews, previews or anything.

    People have no age in Usenet, so don't worry about it

    > I have played most
    > roguelike games at least once, but have played ADOM, Nethack (and its
    > varient SLASH'EM) and Angband (and a few varients) the most.

    To make the reviews, you must dedicate at least 2 hours to a game... It's
    hard to do it but I have been able to play in-dev roguelikes for that time
    when they are interesting...

    --
    SZDev - Slash
    Slashing, the Outcast Dragon of the -={UDIC}=-

    Christopher <l07amesc@allsaints.wa.edu.au> wrote:
    >1. Does this whole thing sound like a good idea, or is it just a waste
    >of time? (Be honest)

    The big question you have to ask yourself is; what's it got that rgr*
    doesn't?

    I'm not saying that's an unanswerable question - but it's a difficult one,
    especially since you would be trying to interest people who only play a
    subset of roguelikes in articles about other ones.

    >2. If it were created, what would be the best format for such a thing?

    Plain text > good HTML > PDF > foul HTML > Windows-specific formats.

    >3. Again, if it were created, what would be the best ways of
    >distribution (Uploaded onto a site or e-mailed to those who wanted it?

    Mailing list, archives on the Web.

    >4. What kind of things would you find most interesting in such a
    >thing?

    Well, to answer my own big question, I would start with articles by fans
    of the various roguelikes - not just the majors, but some of the
    interesting minor games (Crawl primarily, but Omega? GearHead?) -
    describing why they enjoy them.

    There is a need for a regular news roundup - new releases, major patches,
    etc. anyway.
    --
    David Damerell <damerell@chiark.greenend.org.uk> flcl?
  12. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack,rec.games.roguelike.adom,rec.games.roguelike.angband,rec.games.roguelike.misc,rec.games.roguelike.development (More info?)

    Christopher wrote:
    >1. Does this whole thing sound like a good idea, or is it just a waste
    >of time? (Be honest)

    It sounds like a great idea, if workable.

    >4. What kind of things would you find most interesting in such a
    >thing?

    Easy; there's plenty of new input every day in these newsgroups
    themselves. YANIs, spoilers, an obituary column for especially
    noteworthy deaths, interesting screenshots, maybe a humour corner a la
    that odd Nethack webcomic I've seen around, game diaries (as they're
    written)... I don't think any of us would have a problem with our
    ideas/ascensions/deaths etc. being published in a webzine for players
    outside rgr* to read.

    >Just for the records, I *am* only 14, and while I am good at writing,
    >I'm not *that* good, so other people would probably have to contribute
    >(or I could just steal stuff off R.G.R.* >:-D ). I have played most
    >roguelike games at least once, but have played ADOM, Nethack (and its
    >varient SLASH'EM) and Angband (and a few varients) the most. I am also
    >a frequent reader of R.G.R.*, and keep up to date about updates and
    >the like. I've been playing roguelikes for a few years.

    If you don't think you're up to writing the whole thing yourself, you
    can find some other people to collaborate with, but probably the most
    important things you need to consider are consistency and motivation.
    Make sure you have the time and energy to keep this thing consistent,
    and be absolutely certain you're motivated enough that it won't fall
    in a heap after a month or so. Covering all these games in detail
    from fortnight to fortnight might end up being a pretty big task -- I
    could probably do a fortnightly zine on one game alone given the time
    and motivation. If you can manage it, though, then I'm sure it would
    be worth reading.

    Good luck.

    Vorg
  13. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack,rec.games.roguelike.adom,rec.games.roguelike.angband,rec.games.roguelike.misc,rec.games.roguelike.development (More info?)

    Christopher wrote:

    > So, what do you all think?

    I dunno, but here's a tile for you: The Yeekly World News
    --
    MYTHOLOGY, n. The body of a primitive people's beliefs concerning its
    origin, early history, heroes, deities and so forth, as distinguished from

    "Neodymium" <neo_1061@127.0.0.1> wrote in message
    > In 2101, war was beginning and we got signal. In
    > rec.games.roguelike.angband, "Vorg the Sapient" <bdare@optushome.com.au>
    set
    > up us this post:
    >

    > > Christopher wrote:
    > >>1. Does this whole thing sound like a good idea, or is it just a waste
    > >>of time? (Be honest)
    > >
    > > It sounds like a great idea, if workable.
    > >
    > >>4. What kind of things would you find most interesting in such a
    > >>thing?
    > >
    > > Easy; there's plenty of new input every day in these newsgroups
    > > themselves. YANIs...
    >
    > YANIs?

    Yet another new idea, for the chronically lazy.

    --
    Glen
    L:Pyt E+++ T-- R+ P+++ D+ G+ F:*band !RL RLA-

    On 4 Aug 2004 10:47:06 -0700, cyde@umd.edu (Cyde Weys) tried to confuse
    everyone with this message:

    >nhzine.com is free. Unless anyone has a better idea within 24 hours
    >(that's not taken), I think I'll go with that.

    www.roguelikewebzine.com is probably free too, and suits the original
    idea better (it's supposed to be about all roguelikes, not just
    NetHack).

    --
    |Here you can see, how awful I'm at Quake speedrunning| Grue(at)mail.ru|
    |E1M1 :29 E1M5 :19 E2M1 :10 E3M2 :22 E4M5 :15,===""================;
    |E1M2 :36 E1M6 :11 E2M3 :27 E4M1 :30 E4M6 :24|->grue3.tripod.com<--|
    |E1M3_:43__E1M7_:14__E3M1_:43__E4M2_:52__END__:37;================[4*72]
  16. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack,rec.games.roguelike.adom,rec.games.roguelike.angband,rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    Paul E Collins wrote:
    > "Fitzdraco" <Fitzdraco@yahoo.com> wrote:

    >> annoying midi music.

    > Tautology :)

    If you consider "annoying" vs. "midi music", yes.

    If you consider "midi" vs. "music", it's a contradictio in terminis.

    --
    Boudewijn Waijers (bwaijers at home.nl).

    "So computers are tools of the Devil? thought Newt. He had no problem
    believing it. Computers had to be the tools of *somebody*, and all he
    knew for certain was that it definitely wasn't him."
    - Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman, in "Good Omens".
  17. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack,rec.games.roguelike.adom,rec.games.roguelike.angband,rec.games.roguelike.misc,rec.games.roguelike.development (More info?)

    Hello again everyone. Thanks to everyone who replied, the comments are
    great.

    After much (well, not very much actually) consideration I've decided
    I'll go ahead with it. All those positive comments made me feel it was
    a good idea, and worth doing. All those, uh, not so possitive comments
    made me realise that yes it wont have anything R.G.R.* doesn't, and
    yeah it may crash and burn after a month or so, but that makes it seem
    less important, so if it *does* fail I wont feel so bad. So now I'm
    spending some time planning the Ezine. Which leaves me with just a few
    more questions:

    1. What would be a good name? Remember that this is will be an Ezine
    for all roguelikes great and small, from the all mighty Nethack down
    to the barely known Ivan. It will have both serious tactics and
    humour, along with news and feedback etc. So it needs a name to
    summurise everything.

    2. What would be a reasonable length? It'll (hopefully) come out once
    a month (yeah I extended it, there's a lot of work in a magazine, and
    even more when I'm using HTML). Too much and it'll be boring to read
    it all, but too small and it might become not worth reading.

    3. Content? So far I'm pretty sure I'll have a humour section (funny
    messages, the more humourous posts from Usenet, maybe a stupid death
    or two), an 'under the spotlight' review of a lesser known roguelike
    or varient, and a section for links to roguelike sites. What kind of
    thing would *you* enjoy reading each month?

    4. Whats all this about getting a domain name??? I'm confused... all
    I've got is a free 20 megabyte site from Westnet (my ISP).

    Thanks again everyone! :-)
  18. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack,rec.games.roguelike.adom,rec.games.roguelike.angband,rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    > In 2101, war was beginning and we got signal. In
    > rec.games.roguelike.angband, grue@mail.ru (Timofei Shatrov) set up us this
    > post:
    >
    > > www.roguelikewebzine.com is probably free too, and suits the original
    > > idea better (it's supposed to be about all roguelikes, not just
    > > NetHack).
    >
    > That's gonna break peoples' keyboards. I like rlwebzine.com or rlzine.com
    > better. And consider .net, .org, or other endings that cost less to
    register
    > than .com, since this isn't a company selling stuff site. :)

    That's silly, most people only type a webaddress once or twice. If they like
    the site, they bookmark it. There's no need to be obscure or cryptic. I like
    www.roguelikewebzine.com or www.roguelikezine.com just fine.

    Also, anyone who is charging you more to register a .com is screwing you.
    None of my .com names ever cost more than the other extensions, and I've had
    my share of both.

    BTW, OpenSRS only charges $9.95 to register a domain name, regardless of
    extension.

    A quick whois lookup shows:
    roguelikezine.com is available & every other extension.
    roguelikewebzine.com - ditto
    roguelikegames.com - ditto (that was a surprise)
    roguelikegame.com - ditto
    rlzine.com - ditto
    rlwebzine.com - ditto

    roguelike.com, .net & .org is taken, but .us is available

    roguelikenews.com was available, which surprised me, so I registered it.
    I'll figure out what to do with it later. :)
  19. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack,rec.games.roguelike.adom,rec.games.roguelike.angband,rec.games.roguelike.misc,rec.games.roguelike.development (More info?)

    David Damerell <damerell@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:
    >Christopher <l07amesc@allsaints.wa.edu.au> wrote:
    >>4. What kind of things would you find most interesting in such a
    >>thing?
    >There is a need for a regular news roundup - new releases, major
    >patches, etc. anyway.

    I'll second this. I only follow the Angband newsgroup, but a weekly update
    on new versions, patches, nasty bugs etc. of all roguelikes would be
    really useful for those who play different ones, and I wouldn't mind
    reading about what's happening with the other roguelikes while checking
    through the news about angband variants.

    Otto Martin
    --
    "Chemo-kitties need extra love!"
    http://www.somethingpositive.net/sp01142002.html

    "Mystic Triad" <hoodle@doodle.com> wrote in

    > roguelikenews.com was available, which surprised me, so I registered
    > it. I'll figure out what to do with it later. :)

    Likewise for me with roguelikes.com

    --
    ~ Cyde Weys ~
    Bite my shiny metal ass.

    On Wed, 4 Aug 2004 23:10:32 -0400, "Mystic Triad" <hoodle@doodle.com>
    tried to confuse everyone with this message:

    >"Neodymium" <neo_1061@127.0.0.1> wrote in message
    >>
    >> That's gonna break peoples' keyboards. I like rlwebzine.com or rlzine.com
    >> better. And consider .net, .org, or other endings that cost less to
    >register
    >> than .com, since this isn't a company selling stuff site. :)
    >>

    >That's silly, most people only type a webaddress once or twice. If they like
    >the site, they bookmark it.

    I'm too lazy to bookmark www.magicthegathering.com, and got a habit of
    typing it very fast.

    --
    |Here you can see, how awful I'm at Quake speedrunning| Grue(at)mail.ru|
    |E1M1 :29 E1M5 :19 E2M1 :10 E3M2 :22 E4M5 :15,===""================;
    |E1M2 :36 E1M6 :11 E2M3 :27 E4M1 :30 E4M6 :24|->grue3.tripod.com<--|
    |E1M3_:43__E1M7_:14__E3M1_:43__E4M2_:52__END__:37;================[4*72]
  22. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack,rec.games.roguelike.adom,rec.games.roguelike.angband,rec.games.roguelike.misc,rec.games.roguelike.development (More info?)

    Christopher wrote:

    > Hello again everyone. Thanks to everyone who replied, the comments are
    > great.
    >
    > After much (well, not very much actually) consideration I've decided
    > I'll go ahead with it. All those positive comments made me feel it was
    > a good idea, and worth doing. All those, uh, not so possitive comments
    > made me realise that yes it wont have anything R.G.R.* doesn't, and
    > yeah it may crash and burn after a month or so, but that makes it seem
    > less important, so if it *does* fail I wont feel so bad. So now I'm
    > spending some time planning the Ezine. Which leaves me with just a few
    > more questions:
    >
    > 1. What would be a good name? Remember that this is will be an Ezine
    > for all roguelikes great and small, from the all mighty Nethack down
    > to the barely known Ivan. It will have both serious tactics and
    > humour, along with news and feedback etc. So it needs a name to
    > summurise everything.
    >
    > 2. What would be a reasonable length? It'll (hopefully) come out once
    > a month (yeah I extended it, there's a lot of work in a magazine, and
    > even more when I'm using HTML). Too much and it'll be boring to read
    > it all, but too small and it might become not worth reading.
    >
    > 3. Content? So far I'm pretty sure I'll have a humour section (funny
    > messages, the more humourous posts from Usenet, maybe a stupid death
    > or two), an 'under the spotlight' review of a lesser known roguelike
    > or varient, and a section for links to roguelike sites. What kind of
    > thing would *you* enjoy reading each month?
    >
    > 4. Whats all this about getting a domain name??? I'm confused... all
    > I've got is a free 20 megabyte site from Westnet (my ISP).

    If you decide to use HTML and have the zine online you can either put it
    on some kind of free webspace and get a name related to that service, for
    instance westnet.com/roguelikezine or similar. If you want to you can
    register your own domain, ie www.roguelikezine.org, and tie that domain to
    some webspace. Most probably you ISP doesn't allow you to point
    www.roguelikezine.org to your 20Mb of webspace. This means that you'll
    have to buy webspace from a webhotel and point your domain there instead.
    The domain costs about 10$ and the price for space at a webhotel can vary
    from anywhere between 10-100$ per year depending on a number of factors
    like number of Mb space, database support and so on.

    I would prefer plain text or html (not pdf) distributed via a mailinglist
    and on the usenet.

    --
    Björn Bergström
    roguelike development [http://roguelikedevelopment.org]

    > After much (well, not very much actually) consideration I've decided
    > I'll go ahead with it. All those positive comments made me feel it was
    > a good idea, and worth doing. All those, uh, not so possitive comments
    > made me realise that yes it wont have anything R.G.R.* doesn't, and
    > yeah it may crash and burn after a month or so, but that makes it seem
    > less important, so if it *does* fail I wont feel so bad. So now I'm
    > spending some time planning the Ezine. Which leaves me with just a few
    > more questions:

    Just my two cents. Maybe you could start small, just by posting this webzine
    in plain text over usenet groups for 3-4 months. This would give you the
    idea of how much work would it require, it would familiarize people with it
    and in the meantime you could work on HTML version. After this test period
    you could decide whether your up to full version and if the zine will be
    actually read be people.

    I'm suggesting this option, because I've already seen/participated in a few
    projects which wanted to start big and they either didn't start at all or
    were canceled/closed after a short time.

    Nevon
  24. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack,rec.games.roguelike.adom,rec.games.roguelike.angband,rec.games.roguelike.misc,rec.games.roguelike.development (More info?)

    l07amesc@allsaints.wa.edu.au (Christopher) wrote in message news:<befbd26b.0408042033.36070828@posting.google.com>...
    > Hello again everyone. Thanks to everyone who replied, the comments are
    > great.
    >
    > After much (well, not very much actually) consideration I've decided
    > I'll go ahead with it. All those positive comments made me feel it was
    > a good idea, and worth doing. All those, uh, not so possitive comments
    > made me realise that yes it wont have anything R.G.R.* doesn't, and
    > yeah it may crash and burn after a month or so, but that makes it seem
    > less important, so if it *does* fail I wont feel so bad. So now I'm
    > spending some time planning the Ezine. Which leaves me with just a few
    > more questions:
    >
    > 1. What would be a good name? Remember that this is will be an Ezine
    > for all roguelikes great and small, from the all mighty Nethack down
    > to the barely known Ivan. It will have both serious tactics and
    > humour, along with news and feedback etc. So it needs a name to
    > summurise everything.

    The Monthly Roguelike?
    Rogueaholics Anonymous?
    Temple of the RNG?

    > 2. What would be a reasonable length? It'll (hopefully) come out once
    > a month (yeah I extended it, there's a lot of work in a magazine, and
    > even more when I'm using HTML). Too much and it'll be boring to read
    > it all, but too small and it might become not worth reading.

    That's a question of personal preference IMAO - you can't please
    everybody, so please yourself. Personally, I'd say it's better to err
    on the side of lengthiness.

    > 3. Content? So far I'm pretty sure I'll have a humour section (funny
    > messages, the more humourous posts from Usenet, maybe a stupid death
    > or two), an 'under the spotlight' review of a lesser known roguelike
    > or varient, and a section for links to roguelike sites. What kind of
    > thing would *you* enjoy reading each month?

    Definitely some YASDs and other humour. The 'under the spotlight'
    review's a great idea - maybe add some more info on the game you
    feature as well (tactics, maybe an interview with the creator or a
    player, that sort of thing)? Announcing important news (new releases
    etc.) would be nice as well, as long as it encompassed all roguelikes
    - not just Angband, Nethack etc.

    There's an interesting idea emerging on the ToME forums - Day In The
    Life threads. The basic idea is that as you play a character in ToME,
    you note down a full account of the game and post it to the forums in
    chapters. They often contain strategy tips for newbies. I've probably
    explained this badly, so here's an example (Slappy the Wood-Elf Monk):

    http://wiki.t-o-m-e.net/DayInTheLifeArchive_2fSlappy

    A similar feature in the webzine using different variants and
    roguelikes would be very interesting - it would allow people to get a
    feeling for the game before playing it.

    One other thing - I realise this may well be infeasible, and I'm not
    sure how much demand there is, but I think a section on how some of
    the open source roguelikes work (source-wise) would be extremely
    useful - for example, it's fairly difficult to find out how to (random
    example) add a new type of monster blow in Angband without spending a
    lot of time source-diving.

    > 4. Whats all this about getting a domain name??? I'm confused... all
    > I've got is a free 20 megabyte site from Westnet (my ISP).

    I wouldn't bother with a domain name to start with - go for a free
    host without many ads (and no popups). That way you can test the idea
    of a newsletter without anyone putting money in, then start worrying
    about the domain name later. You might even be able to get hosted on
    oook if the trial run goes well.
  25. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack,rec.games.roguelike.adom,rec.games.roguelike.angband,rec.games.roguelike.misc,rec.games.roguelike.development (More info?)

    In article <befbd26b.0408042033.36070828@posting.google.com>,
    l07amesc@allsaints.wa.edu.au says...
    > Hello again everyone. Thanks to everyone who replied, the comments are
    > great.

    > 1. What would be a good name? Remember that this is will be an Ezine
    > for all roguelikes great and small, from the all mighty Nethack down
    > to the barely known Ivan. It will have both serious tactics and
    > humour, along with news and feedback etc. So it needs a name to
    > summurise everything.

    Roguelike E-zine, Roguelike Web Zine, Dungeon Crawlers Magazine (or
    something like that, it doesn't matter so much, more important is what's
    inside)

    > 2. What would be a reasonable length? It'll (hopefully) come out once
    > a month (yeah I extended it, there's a lot of work in a magazine, and
    > even more when I'm using HTML). Too much and it'll be boring to read
    > it all, but too small and it might become not worth reading.

    As much as you can (it won't be boring, because reader usually don't
    read whole content, only the things he/she likes).

    > 3. Content? So far I'm pretty sure I'll have a humour section (funny
    > messages, the more humourous posts from Usenet, maybe a stupid death
    > or two), an 'under the spotlight' review of a lesser known roguelike
    > or varient, and a section for links to roguelike sites. What kind of
    > thing would *you* enjoy reading each month?

    I would read: news (both new roguelikes and sites), humour, rl-
    development section, comix, from time to time polemics (two people
    arguing about the roguelike definition or something :D).

    > 4. Whats all this about getting a domain name??? I'm confused... all
    > I've got is a free 20 megabyte site from Westnet (my ISP).

    Don't worry for now. Just do the magazine. If it will be good enough,
    other people will get a domain name for you :)

    Dont' forget to made it downloadable (zip file), not only online. (this
    way I would still have the first issue of the zine on my HD, after you
    lose interest and abandom it ;) )

    Good luck.

    --
    Archibald
  26. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack,rec.games.roguelike.adom,rec.games.roguelike.angband,rec.games.roguelike.misc,rec.games.roguelike.development (More info?)

    Archibald wrote:
    > In article <befbd26b.0408042033.36070828@posting.google.com>,
    > l07amesc@allsaints.wa.edu.au says...
    >
    >>Hello again everyone. Thanks to everyone who replied, the comments are
    >>great.
    >
    >>1. What would be a good name? Remember that this is will be an Ezine
    >>for all roguelikes great and small, from the all mighty Nethack down
    >>to the barely known Ivan. It will have both serious tactics and
    >>humour, along with news and feedback etc. So it needs a name to
    >>summurise everything.
    >
    > Roguelike E-zine, Roguelike Web Zine, Dungeon Crawlers Magazine (or
    > something like that, it doesn't matter so much, more important is what's
    > inside)

    You could just call it "Rogue". I don't think anyone's going to confuse
    the 'zine with the game, and it should be fairly self-evident that it's
    about rogue_like_s rather than just the original.

    Silly idea: parody "Vogue" magazine covers. ("Dwarven mithril coat
    courtesy of Asidonhopo's; "oR model's own.")

    --
    - 5parrowhawk (to email, please rearrange for the mail server at
    Georgia Institute of Technology).

    () ascii ribbon campaign | what "yaoi" really
    /\ - against html e-mail | stands for:
    - against M$ attachments | "yamete, oshiri itai".
  27. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack,rec.games.roguelike.adom,rec.games.roguelike.angband,rec.games.roguelike.misc,rec.games.roguelike.development (More info?)

    l07amesc@allsaints.wa.edu.au (Christopher) communicated:

    > Hello again everyone. Thanks to everyone who replied, the comments are
    > great.
    >
    > After much (well, not very much actually) consideration I've decided
    > I'll go ahead with it. All those positive comments made me feel it was
    > a good idea, and worth doing. All those, uh, not so possitive comments
    > made me realise that yes it wont have anything R.G.R.* doesn't, and
    > yeah it may crash and burn after a month or so, but that makes it seem
    > less important, so if it *does* fail I wont feel so bad. So now I'm
    > spending some time planning the Ezine. Which leaves me with just a few
    > more questions:
    >
    > 1. What would be a good name? Remember that this is will be an Ezine
    > for all roguelikes great and small, from the all mighty Nethack down
    > to the barely known Ivan. It will have both serious tactics and
    > humour, along with news and feedback etc. So it needs a name to
    > summurise everything.

    Back when Darren Hebden's wonderful Roguelike News went bust, I did a
    lot of work on a successor site that would have been called Roguelike
    Bulletin. Then YARNS and (and IIRC Roguelke News II) came out and all
    vied for attention, so I gracefully abandoned all the effort :) Of
    all the logos I did, I found two floating around -

    The funky
    http://www.geocities.com/michaelblackney/Images/rlbulletin1.gif
    and the more traditional
    http://www.geocities.com/michaelblackney/Images/rlbulletin2.gif

    > 2. What would be a reasonable length? It'll (hopefully) come out once
    > a month (yeah I extended it, there's a lot of work in a magazine, and
    > even more when I'm using HTML). Too much and it'll be boring to read
    > it all, but too small and it might become not worth reading.

    17 pages.

    > 3. Content? So far I'm pretty sure I'll have a humour section (funny
    > messages, the more humourous posts from Usenet, maybe a stupid death
    > or two), an 'under the spotlight' review of a lesser known roguelike
    > or varient, and a section for links to roguelike sites. What kind of
    > thing would *you* enjoy reading each month?

    I think that an interesting idea is to have once-and-for-all celebrity
    arguments (celebrity in the RL community sense) to settle the big
    questions: ASCII vs Graphics; vi vs Num Pad; etc. Tongue in cheek may
    make it readable, though the main purpose would be to stop anybody
    else from getting into the argument again in the near future.

    And maybe try to get interviews from roguelike fans from different
    fields (like, say, the guys from Gamespot who wrote the Nethack
    article). Let the world know that it's okay to have a terminal
    fondness for ASCII.

    > 4. Whats all this about getting a domain name??? I'm confused... all
    > I've got is a free 20 megabyte site from Westnet (my ISP).

    If you're planning on this becoming even remotely popular, you ought
    to think carefully before choosing a web host. There are many horror
    stories of unforseeably popular websites that cost the owner tens of
    thousands of dollars once the traffic exceeded the free bandwidth.
    Now this is extremely uncommon, but even having to pay $100 would be a
    PITA. I'm sure that somebody else already explained the difference
    between web and domain hosting, so I won't bother with that.

    Good luck! Now go make sure that this 'Zine isn't vapourware.

    --
    michaelblackney at hotmail dot com
    http://aburatan.sourceforge.net/

    l07amesc@allsaints.wa.edu.au (Christopher) communicated:

    > Hello again everyone. Thanks to everyone who replied, the comments are
    > great.
    >
    > After much (well, not very much actually) consideration I've decided
    > I'll go ahead with it. All those positive comments made me feel it was
    > a good idea, and worth doing. All those, uh, not so possitive comments
    > made me realise that yes it wont have anything R.G.R.* doesn't, and
    > yeah it may crash and burn after a month or so, but that makes it seem
    > less important, so if it *does* fail I wont feel so bad. So now I'm
    > spending some time planning the Ezine. Which leaves me with just a few
    > more questions:
    >
    > 1. What would be a good name? Remember that this is will be an Ezine
    > for all roguelikes great and small, from the all mighty Nethack down
    > to the barely known Ivan. It will have both serious tactics and
    > humour, along with news and feedback etc. So it needs a name to
    > summurise everything.

    Back when Darren Hebden's wonderful Roguelike News went bust, I did a
    lot of work on a successor site that would have been called Roguelike
    Bulletin. Then YARNS and ARNS (and IIRC Roguelke News II) came out
    and all vied for attention, so I gracefully abandoned all the effort
    :) Of all the logos I did, I found two floating around -

    The funky
    http://www.geocities.com/michaelblackney/Images/rlbulletin1.gif
    and the more traditional
    http://www.geocities.com/michaelblackney/Images/rlbulletin2.gif

    > 2. What would be a reasonable length? It'll (hopefully) come out once
    > a month (yeah I extended it, there's a lot of work in a magazine, and
    > even more when I'm using HTML). Too much and it'll be boring to read
    > it all, but too small and it might become not worth reading.

    17 pages.

    > 3. Content? So far I'm pretty sure I'll have a humour section (funny
    > messages, the more humourous posts from Usenet, maybe a stupid death
    > or two), an 'under the spotlight' review of a lesser known roguelike
    > or varient, and a section for links to roguelike sites. What kind of
    > thing would *you* enjoy reading each month?

    I think that an interesting idea is to have once-and-for-all celebrity
    arguments (celebrity in the RL community sense) to settle the big
    questions: ASCII vs Graphics; vi vs Num Pad; etc. Tongue in cheek may
    make it readable, though the main purpose would be to stop anybody
    else from getting into the argument again in the near future.

    And maybe try to get interviews from roguelike fans from different
    fields (like, say, the guys from Gamespot who wrote the Nethack
    article). Let the world know that it's okay to have a terminal
    fondness for ASCII.

    > 4. Whats all this about getting a domain name??? I'm confused... all
    > I've got is a free 20 megabyte site from Westnet (my ISP).

    If you're planning on this becoming even remotely popular, you ought
    to think carefully before choosing a web host. There are many horror
    stories of unforseeably popular websites that cost the owner tens of
    thousands of dollars once the traffic exceeded the free bandwidth.
    Now this is extremely uncommon, but even having to pay $100 would be a
    PITA. I'm sure that somebody else already explained the difference
    between web and domain hosting, so I won't bother with that.

    Good luck! Now go make sure that this 'Zine isn't vapourware.

    --
    michaelblackney at hotmail dot com
    http://aburatan.sourceforge.net/
    Latest version 0.95 2-5-4
  29. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack,rec.games.roguelike.adom,rec.games.roguelike.angband,rec.games.roguelike.misc,rec.games.roguelike.development (More info?)

    foxman111@hotmail.com (Foxman) wrote in message news:<a4288add.0408100606.403edd51@posting.google.com>...
    > l07amesc@allsaints.wa.edu.au (Christopher) wrote in message news:<befbd26b.0408042033.36070828@posting.google.com>...

    <snip intro>
    > > 1. What would be a good name? Remember that this is will be an Ezine
    > > for all roguelikes great and small, from the all mighty Nethack down
    > > to the barely known Ivan. It will have both serious tactics and
    > > humour, along with news and feedback etc. So it needs a name to
    > > summurise everything.
    >
    > The Monthly Roguelike?
    > Rogueaholics Anonymous?
    > Temple of the RNG?

    Hey! Thats a great idea! Rogue-@holics monthly! :-)

    <more snip>
  30. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack,rec.games.roguelike.adom,rec.games.roguelike.angband,rec.games.roguelike.misc,rec.games.roguelike.development (More info?)

    Neodymium <neo_1061@127.0.0.1> communicated:

    > In 2101, war was beginning and we got signal. In
    > rec.games.roguelike.angband, michaelblackney@hotmail.com (Michael
    > Blackney) set up us this post:
    > >
    > > Back when Darren Hebden's wonderful Roguelike News went bust, I did a
    > > lot of work on a successor site that would have been called Roguelike
    > > Bulletin. Then YARNS...
    >
    > What?

    Eh?

    > > I think that an interesting idea is to have once-and-for-all celebrity
    > > arguments (celebrity in the RL community sense) to settle the big
    > > questions: ASCII vs Graphics; vi vs Num Pad; etc. Tongue in cheek may
    > > make it readable, though the main purpose would be to stop anybody
    > > else from getting into the argument again in the near future.
    >
    > ASCII isthe One True Way. Vi is vile -- modeful interfaces stuck. Just Say
    > No to vi. There is no editor but Emacs and Meta is His prophet. And all
    > that.

    Yeah like that, but a little less fanatic and a little more on topic.

    > Was it *really* necessary to post 2 copies of this?

    No less necessary than quoting the whole thing just to make a comment
    that presumes that I make more mistakes than my newsreader... or
    should I make fun of you for replying to the same post three times :p

    --
    michaelblackney at hotmail dot com
    http://aburatan.sourceforge.net/
    Latest version 0.95 2-5-4
  31. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack,rec.games.roguelike.adom,rec.games.roguelike.angband,rec.games.roguelike.misc,rec.games.roguelike.development (More info?)

    In article <a4288add.0408100606.403edd51@posting.google.com>, foxman111@hotmail.com (Foxman) wrote:
    >One other thing - I realise this may well be infeasible, and I'm not
    >sure how much demand there is, but I think a section on how some of
    >the open source roguelikes work (source-wise) would be extremely
    >useful - for example, it's fairly difficult to find out how to (random
    >example) add a new type of monster blow in Angband without spending a
    >lot of time source-diving.

    This is an excellent idea!

    Alan
  32. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack,rec.games.roguelike.adom,rec.games.roguelike.angband,rec.games.roguelike.misc,rec.games.roguelike.development (More info?)

    "Neodymium" <neo_1061@127.0.0.1> wrote in message

    <SNIP message thread quoted for no reason at all>

    > Was it *really* necessary to post 2 copies of this?

    Was it *really* necessary to quote the entire message thread in your reply?
    ;)
  33. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack,rec.games.roguelike.adom,rec.games.roguelike.angband,rec.games.roguelike.misc,rec.games.roguelike.development (More info?)

    Michael Blackney wrote:

    > Neodymium <neo_1061@127.0.0.1> communicated:
    >
    >>In 2101, war was beginning and we got signal. In
    >>rec.games.roguelike.angband, michaelblackney@hotmail.com (Michael
    >>Blackney) set up us this post:
    >>
    >>>Back when Darren Hebden's wonderful Roguelike News went bust, I did a
    >>>lot of work on a successor site that would have been called Roguelike
    >>>Bulletin. Then YARNS...
    >>
    >>What?
    >
    > Eh?

    YARNS?

    That's not even on rgrn-FAQ.

    Topi
    --
    "The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are
    always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts."

    Topi Linkala <nes@iki.fi> writes:

    > Michael Blackney wrote:
    >
    >> Neodymium <neo_1061@127.0.0.1> communicated:
    >>
    >>> In 2101, war was beginning and we got signal. In
    >>> rec.games.roguelike.angband, michaelblackney@hotmail.com (Michael
    >>> Blackney) set up us this post:

    >>>What?
    >> Eh?
    >
    > YARNS?

    Yet Another Roguelike News Stopped?

    --
    Panu
    "You haven't really been anywhere until you've got back home",

    http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://yarns.felis7.civ.pl/

    --
    michaelblackney at hotmail dot com
    http://aburatan.sourceforge.net/
    Latest version 0.95 2-5-4
  36. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack,rec.games.roguelike.adom,rec.games.roguelike.angband,rec.games.roguelike.misc,rec.games.roguelike.development (More info?)

    On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 18:09:35 +1000, "Mike Blackney"
    <michaelblackney@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >"Neodymium" <neo_1061@127.0.0.1> communicated:
    >>
    >> In 2101, war was beginning and we got signal. In
    >> rec.games.roguelike.angband, michaelblackney@hotmail.com (Michael
    >> Blackney) set up us this post:
    >>
    >> > Neodymium <neo_1061@127.0.0.1> communicated:

    >> > Eh?
    >>
    >> Oh, sorry, lost my train of thought. Where was I? Oh yeah. ERROR:
    >> Parse error on line 9 after "Then". Compilation failed. Undefined
    >> external symbol. Reboot!
    >
    >http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://yarns.felis7.civ.pl/

    Of course, the nature of YARNS was obvious from the context. Use of
    context to understand unfamiliar words is very basic reading skills.
    My mother teaches this to children in 7th and 8th grade -- who are
    several grades behind in reading level. For someone who tries as hard
    to seem intelligent as Neo does (as long as it requires no actual
    effort on his part), failure to demonstrate such basic literacy
    *should* be embarrassing, but he seems to also lack any social
    awareness of when he's playing the village idiot.

    To spell it out for Neo and the learning-impaired chimps among our
    readership: Michael was going to create a successor site to Roguelike
    News (i.e., a roguelike news page). But then two other sites appeared
    (one of them YARNS) which made Michael feel his effort was
    unnecessary. This only makes sense if they were roguelike news
    websites (since he thought the other was called "Roguelike News II",
    this provides further confirmation). Thus, YARNS was roguelike news
    site that came out after the collapse of Roguelike News.

    Advanced reader will note that Roguelike News Site has the initials
    RNS, leaving YA... a common abbreviation of "Yet Another..." on
    roguelike newsgroups. Thus the astute reader might guess that YARNS
    stood for Yet Another Roguelike News Site.

    Richard Daniel Henry
    danhenry@inreach.com
  37. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack,rec.games.roguelike.adom,rec.games.roguelike.angband,rec.games.roguelike.misc,rec.games.roguelike.development (More info?)

    R. Dan Henry <danhenry@inreach.com> wrote in message news:<ck0lh01nfc912hakh7dj2mj82atvgetju2@4ax.com>...
    > On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 18:09:35 +1000, "Mike Blackney"
    > <michaelblackney@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >
    > >"Neodymium" <neo_1061@127.0.0.1> communicated:
    > >>
    > >> In 2101, war was beginning and we got signal. In
    > >> rec.games.roguelike.angband, michaelblackney@hotmail.com (Michael
    > >> Blackney) set up us this post:

    > >> Oh, sorry, lost my train of thought. Where was I? Oh yeah. ERROR:
    > >> Parse error on line 9 after "Then". Compilation failed. Undefined
    > >> external symbol. Reboot!
    > >
    > >http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://yarns.felis7.civ.pl/
    >
    > Of course, the nature of YARNS was obvious from the context. Use of
    > context to understand unfamiliar words is very basic reading skills.

    Of course, sometimes context fails. Or, one may have a vague idea
    from context, but realize you need a more detailed explanation. The
    beauty of usenet is that it is not a realtime conversation. You can,
    at your leisure, look up a word you don't understand. This is
    preferable to bothering someone else for the answer, as you can then
    save that for when a quick research fails.

    As it is, typing "roguelike YARNS" into google swiftly reveals the
    nature of the word, so asking for an explanation is just laziness.
    (Mind you, as the request for an explanation provided so little
    context as to require another entire exchange to complete, there is
    little need to expand on that accusation)
    --
    Jeff Lait
  38. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack,rec.games.roguelike.adom,rec.games.roguelike.angband,rec.games.roguelike.misc,rec.games.roguelike.development (More info?)

    "Mystic Triad" <hoodle@doodle.com> wrote in message news:<arnSc.26878$Jo1.26068@lakeread01>...
    > "Neodymium" <neo_1061@127.0.0.1> wrote in message
    > >

    > <SNIP message thread quoted for no reason at all>
    >
    > > Was it *really* necessary to post 2 copies of this?
    > >

    > Was it *really* necessary to quote the entire message thread in your reply?
    > ;)

    And for that matter, wa it *really* necessary to make sarcastic
    comments on a serious thread (rolls eyes) >:-(
  39. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack,rec.games.roguelike.adom,rec.games.roguelike.angband,rec.games.roguelike.misc,rec.games.roguelike.development (More info?)

    > "Mystic Triad" <hoodle@doodle.com> wrote in message
    > >
    > > Was it *really* necessary to quote the entire message thread in your
    reply?
    > > ;)
    >
    > And for that matter, wa it *really* necessary to make sarcastic
    > comments on a serious thread (rolls eyes) >:-(

    Welcome to UseNet, and for the record I was joking, as evidenced by the ;).
    I didn't get the impression he was. Not that it matters ultimately.

    I find it interesting that you disregarded my post (in the other thread)
    where I offered to help, but felt compelled to comment on this one. I hope
    your approach to the RL zine is more consistent.

    S.

    --
    HA! - www.heroicadventure.com
    Blog - www.mystictriad.com/dev

    Your Operating System is a tool, not a lifestyle choice. Fight OS-ism!
  40. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack,rec.games.roguelike.adom,rec.games.roguelike.angband,rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    Michael Blackney wrote:

    > Back when Darren Hebden's wonderful Roguelike News went bust, I did a
    > lot of work on a successor site that would have been called Roguelike
    > Bulletin. Then YARNS and (and IIRC Roguelke News II) came out and all
    > vied for attention, so I gracefully abandoned all the effort :) Of
    > all the logos I did, I found two floating around -

    I can dig up two messages from my archives:

    [ 18/7/2001, by arns@arns.freeservers.com ]

    Hi, As most of you might know. Darren Hebden's site Roguelike News is
    shutting down. In order to try and fill the space that will be left, I
    have decided to start my own news site. You can see what I have so far
    by visiting arns.freeservers.com . I have a lot of content still to
    put in, but wanted something up now for people to start sending me
    their information to post. As time goes by, I hope that this site will
    be filled with lots of information about roguelike games. I hope to
    make this a site that people can come to to find out information about
    a specific game or roguelike games in general.

    Whether your thinking of developing a game, or already have one in the
    works, stop by and take a look. Drop me a line and let me know what
    you think and send me all your news about your games. This site will
    only be a good as the information I get from you.

    Steve Register
    ARNS - Another Roguelike News Site
    arns@arns.freeservers.com

    [ 31/7/2001, by chris5157@btinternet.com ]

    Hello there,

    I hope to soon be able to put online a new roguelike support site
    similar to
    Darren Hebden's sadly closed RLNews site. After browsing the web for a
    decent page with regular news I couldn't find anything except game
    homepages. All the community sites seem to stop updating after
    mid-2001...
    :(

    As a dedicated follower of roguelike RPGs I want to try and make a
    decent
    stab at this, and you guys may be interested to know my plans. "The
    Rogue's
    Haven" will be different from RLNews because it will be staffed by
    enthusiastic community members and even some of the developers should
    they
    want in. With a little bit of ASP the site will allow staffers to post
    news
    and links without needing FTP access. It won't be hugely technical (it
    doesn't need to be) - indeed this will be an exercise for me in learning
    more about ASP while doing something to help out roguelikers. But
    hopefully
    it will become as regularly updated as RLNews was!

    I stress that things have only just begun on the project and, because
    I'm in
    the final month of a college course, won't be doing any heavy site work
    until late June. Staff recruitment will happen just before I put up a
    beta
    version of the site (so that it can be tested reasonably) - I hope to
    get at
    least a dynamic newsposting site running by early July, with more
    features gradually being added in.

    In the meantime, though, I have put up a selection of forums which maybe
    you
    guys want to check out. They're a little empty... erm, well, horribly so
    at
    the moment, but perhaps you can help solve that =)

    * http://www.britishsquad.co.uk/haven
    * http://www.britishsquad.co.uk/haven/forums

    Any and all ideas / feedback would be greatly appreciated!

    Thanks,
    Chris

    Happy hacking!

    --
    Boudewijn Waijers (bwaijers at home.nl).

    "So computers are tools of the Devil? thought Newt. He had no problem
    believing it. Computers had to be the tools of *somebody*, and all he
    knew for certain was that it definitely wasn't him."
    - Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman, in "Good Omens".
  41. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack,rec.games.roguelike.adom,rec.games.roguelike.angband,rec.games.roguelike.misc,rec.games.roguelike.development (More info?)

    l07amesc@allsaints.wa.edu.au (Christopher) wrote in

    > "Mystic Triad" <hoodle@doodle.com> wrote in message
    >> "Neodymium" <neo_1061@127.0.0.1> wrote in message
    >> >

    >> <SNIP message thread quoted for no reason at all>
    >>
    >> > Was it *really* necessary to post 2 copies of this?
    >> >

    >> Was it *really* necessary to quote the entire message thread in
    >> your reply? ;)
    >
    > And for that matter, wa it *really* necessary to make sarcastic
    > comments on a serious thread (rolls eyes) >:-(

    Well, Neodymium doesn't provide a valid email address, so how do you
    think someone should go about telling him that what he did wasn't the
    best course of action?
  42. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack,rec.games.roguelike.adom,rec.games.roguelike.angband,rec.games.roguelike.misc,rec.games.roguelike.development (More info?)

    > "Christopher" <l07amesc@allsaints.wa.edu.au> wrote in message
    > > "Mystic Triad" <hoodle@doodle.com> wrote in message
    > > >
    > > > Was it *really* necessary to quote the entire message thread in your
    > reply?
    > > > ;)
    > >
    > > And for that matter, wa it *really* necessary to make sarcastic
    > > comments on a serious thread (rolls eyes) >:-(
    >
    > Welcome to UseNet, and for the record I was joking, as evidenced by the
    ;).
    > I didn't get the impression he was. Not that it matters ultimately.

    I think Christopher is replying to Neo.

    > I find it interesting that you disregarded my post (in the other thread)
    > where I offered to help, but felt compelled to comment on this one. I
    hope
    > your approach to the RL zine is more consistent.
    >
    > S.

    Not that he would be offended by your post...

    --
    Glen
    L:Pyt E+++ T-- R+ P+++ D+ G+ F:*band !RL RLA-

    "Glen Wheeler" <gew75@uow.edu.au> wrote in message

    > "Mystic Triad" <hoodle@doodle.com> wrote in message
    > >
    > > I didn't get the impression he was. Not that it matters ultimately.
    > >

    > I think Christopher is replying to Neo.

    then perhaps he should have replied to Neo's message ;)

    > > I find it interesting that you disregarded my post (in the other thread)
    > > where I offered to help, but felt compelled to comment on this one. I
    > hope
    > > your approach to the RL zine is more consistent.
    >
    > Not that he would be offended by your post...

    Why would he be offended by an offer to help? Especially considering it was
    days before the post you replied to... so I fail to see how one should have
    any bearing on the other.

    S.

    --
    HA! - www.heroicadventure.com
    Blog - www.mystictriad.com/dev

    Your Operating System is a tool, not a lifestyle choice. Fight OS-ism!
  44. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack,rec.games.roguelike.adom,rec.games.roguelike.angband,rec.games.roguelike.misc,rec.games.roguelike.development (More info?)

    "Topi Linkala" <nes@iki.fi> wrote in message
    > Jeff Lait wrote:
    >
    > > As it is, typing "roguelike YARNS" into google swiftly reveals the
    > > nature of the word, so asking for an explanation is just laziness.
    > > (Mind you, as the request for an explanation provided so little
    > > context as to require another entire exchange to complete, there is
    > > little need to expand on that accusation)
    >
    > No. Using non-standard acronyms that are not defined is unpolite. rgrn
    > uses several acronyms that are defined in our FAQs but YARNS is not one
    > of them.
    >
    > Think it like this:
    >
    > [..]

    Granted. But you've never heard of YARNS? And couldn't immediately work
    it otherwise?

    Ah well.

    --
    Glen
    L:Pyt E+++ T-- R+ P+++ D+ G+ F:*band !RL RLA-

    Neodymium wrote:
    >> Back when Darren Hebden's wonderful Roguelike News went bust, I did a
    >> lot of work on a successor site that would have been called Roguelike
    >> Bulletin. Then YARNS...
    >
    > What?

    Yet Another Roguelike News Site. A now suspended PostNuke based roguelike
    news site which featured Downloads, Articles and News-gate, created and
    maintained by Adam Kubiak and myself. Due to financial considerations of
    Adam the site went down *sniff*.

    Yes, I know this has been answered already in this thread. I answer again,
    because I feel somewhat guilty for the whole rant which followed this
    question -- YARNS was quite long on the web, but I never posted about it's
    existence on rgr.announce (I was still looking for time to "redesign" it,
    and make it a lot better, then I would announce it :( ). Nor was it
    especialy advertised outside rgr.development. So many of you rgrd guys took
    the knowledge of the existence of YARNS as granted, whereby many others from
    outside may have not even heard about it...

    regards,
    Kornel Kisielewicz
    Maintainer of YARNS
  46. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack,rec.games.roguelike.adom,rec.games.roguelike.angband,rec.games.roguelike.misc,rec.games.roguelike.development (More info?)

    "Filip Dreger" <fdreger@amiga.pl> wrote in message
    > U¿ytkownik "Mystic Triad" <hoodle@doodle.com> napisa³ w wiadomo¶ci
    >
    > I always wanted to ask, and this thread seems good:
    >
    > > Your Operating System is a tool, not a lifestyle choice
    > Why? I think it is _mostly_ a lifestyle choice, it is best visible with
    Mac
    > and AmigaOS users, but people using Linux also tend to lead different
    > lives... and don't get me started about *BSD users! They are very
    different.
    > Since in many cases your OS affects the selection of people you meet,
    events
    > you attend and activities you take up, why shouldn't it be considered a
    > "lifestyle choice"? I think it is no less a lifestyle choice than smoking
    > cigars, paragliding or playing chess.
    > I do not want to start a fight, I honestly want to find more about your
    > opinions.

    ok, well... just remember you asked. ;)

    It's a tool... nothing more. To attach any significance beyond that seems
    ludicrous to me.

    To put it in perspective... I grew up in a (very) small town in the country.
    It wasn't uncommon to see people get into arguments over whether Ford or
    Chevy was better. They're just cars (or trucks, whatever). People get
    worked up over what college football team is better. A man in the city I now
    reside in was murdered a few years ago as the result of a drunken argument
    over an Army/Navy game. I just don't see the point.

    To swing it back around to computers... I have 7 computers in my house. Most
    run windows, but I also have 2 linux boxes and a power pc. Why? Because I
    need exposure to those platforms for software development, and because I
    like learning as much as possible. So... by lifestyle choice I mean that
    it's fine to have a favorite platform (car, team, etc) but it shouldn't
    define you. It's just a tool. It's a means to accomplish some goal. that's
    all.

    I work with people who are technology bigots and I just don't understand
    their lack of objectiveness. No matter what the circumstances are, as soon
    as you mention "x" they stop listening. My office is making a pretty
    significant move towards adopting Microsoft .NET technology for future
    initiatives and this guy refuses to learn any of the new tools simply
    because he doesn't like Microsoft. Even though his refusal to learn could
    cost him his job. (Note I said refusal, not inability... he's capable but
    just refuses to learn it. ) I just don't understand people like that.

    It seems to me, that people who allow themselves to be defined by such
    irrelevant criteria lack depth. I'm defined by my accomplishments, my work
    ethic, my family, etc.

    (incidentally... playing chess is not a lifestyle choice either, unless you
    make it one. It's a hobby. I play chess. It doesn't define me though, it's
    just something I do. I don't sit at the chess table at lunch, ya know?)

    Does that answer your question?

    S.

    --
    HA! - www.heroicadventure.com
    Blog - www.mystictriad.com/dev

    Your Operating System is a tool, not a lifestyle choice. Fight OS-ism!
  47. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack,rec.games.roguelike.adom,rec.games.roguelike.angband,rec.games.roguelike.misc,rec.games.roguelike.development (More info?)

    Seraphim <gme6@cornell.edu> wrote in message news:<Xns95436E4DA2D2gme6cornelledu@132.236.56.8>...
    > l07amesc@allsaints.wa.edu.au (Christopher) wrote in
    >
    > > "Mystic Triad" <hoodle@doodle.com> wrote in message
    > >> "Neodymium" <neo_1061@127.0.0.1> wrote in message
    > >> >

    > >> <SNIP message thread quoted for no reason at all>

    > >> Was it *really* necessary to quote the entire message thread in
    > >> your reply? ;)
    > >
    > > And for that matter, wa it *really* necessary to make sarcastic
    > > comments on a serious thread (rolls eyes) >:-(
    >
    > Well, Neodymium doesn't provide a valid email address, so how do you
    > think someone should go about telling him that what he did wasn't the
    > best course of action?

    Umm... just for the record that was a typo and should have been '>:-)'
    Sorry for the misunderstanding and all
  48. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack,rec.games.roguelike.adom,rec.games.roguelike.angband,rec.games.roguelike.misc,rec.games.roguelike.development (More info?)

    "Topi Linkala" <nes@iki.fi> communicated:
    > Jeff Lait wrote:
    >
    > > As it is, typing "roguelike YARNS" into google swiftly reveals the
    > > nature of the word, so asking for an explanation is just laziness.
    > > (Mind you, as the request for an explanation provided so little
    > > context as to require another entire exchange to complete, there is
    > > little need to expand on that accusation)
    >
    > No. Using non-standard acronyms that are not defined is unpolite. rgrn
    > uses several acronyms that are defined in our FAQs but YARNS is not
    > one of them.

    YARNS is the name of a popular roguelike news website. This thread is
    crossposted to 5 newsgroups, all of which are roguelike themed. That's
    enough for me to assume that much of my audience will know what it is.
    BTW the word is 'impolite', and I'm not DLDSM through RRLMA banana
    TOXNN. WTHEA? Ha! You haven't PPJAMDSNENT.

    FWIW I'm sorry.

    --
    michaelblackney at hotmail dot com
    http://aburatan.sourceforge.net/
    Latest version 0.95 2-5-4
  49. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack,rec.games.roguelike.adom,rec.games.roguelike.angband,rec.games.roguelike.misc,rec.games.roguelike.development (More info?)

    "Mike Blackney" <michaelblackney@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<411b3932@news.alphalink.com.au>...
    > "Topi Linkala" <nes@iki.fi> communicated:
    > > Jeff Lait wrote:
    > >

    > YARNS is the name of a popular roguelike news website. This thread is
    > crossposted to 5 newsgroups, all of which are roguelike themed. That's
    > enough for me to assume that much of my audience will know what it is.

    I didn't know that and I've been reading rgra for a good few years now
    but I don't check out the other rgr* groups. Thanks for the
    enlightenment.

    > BTW the word is 'impolite', and I'm not

    Nice, correcting someone's spelling. Very cool. Make you seem so
    much more knowledgeable

    >DLDSM

    seems to be a cheat code for an XBox game

    > RRLMA
    > TOXNN
    > PPJAMDSNENT

    Turned up nothing of note so I guess you're just being a complete
    muppet.

    > WTHEA
    West Tennessee Home Education Association?

    > Ha!

    Ha??? you made such a great contribution and scored such a resounding
    point! You can now wear your 'tosser of the 1st order' badge with
    pride.

    :)

    Iain

Development Games Video Games