[Crawl] System crash: recover possible?

Just lost a promising character (my best so far) after a system crash
(overheating, it's really too hot today). Is there a recover method like
in Nethack? Somehow it looks like, cause there are still some files
around with the name of that character (Sputnik) in /opt/crawl/lib:
firstly there's a Sputnik500.bak (~7k) and several bigger (~38k) files
called Sputnik500.01a (...02a - ...06a) and one Sputnik500.05s
Permissions are unchanged, like the common .zip files Crawl creates on
saving. I've tried so far: copy Sputnik500.bak to Sputnik500.zip, then I
tried to copy the most recent one of the other files (Sputnik500.06a) to
Sputnik500.zip, to no avail. If they are all temporary files and thus no
real zip files, I probably could try to zip them manually... What file
should I take in this case?

Thanks in advance,
Rubinstein
2 answers Last reply
More about crawl system crash recover possible
  1. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    Copy the .bak file to .sav, then zip all the files for that character
    into a zip file.

    Brent Ross
  2. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    Brent Ross wrote:
    > Copy the .bak file to .sav, then zip all the files for that character
    > into a zip file.

    great, Great, *GREAT*! That worked, Sputnik is alive again! :-)
    Now I just hope, my old noisy fan which I placed in the back of my PC
    will do his job...

    1000 thanks,
    Rubinstein

Crash Zip Video Games