[Crawl] System crash: recover possible?

Just lost a promising character (my best so far) after a system crash
(overheating, it's really too hot today). Is there a recover method like
in Nethack? Somehow it looks like, cause there are still some files
around with the name of that character (Sputnik) in /opt/crawl/lib:
firstly there's a Sputnik500.bak (~7k) and several bigger (~38k) files
called Sputnik500.01a (...02a - ...06a) and one Sputnik500.05s
Permissions are unchanged, like the common .zip files Crawl creates on
saving. I've tried so far: copy Sputnik500.bak to Sputnik500.zip, then I
tried to copy the most recent one of the other files (Sputnik500.06a) to
Sputnik500.zip, to no avail. If they are all temporary files and thus no
real zip files, I probably could try to zip them manually... What file
should I take in this case?

Thanks in advance,
Rubinstein

Copy the .bak file to .sav, then zip all the files for that character
into a zip file.

Brent Ross

Brent Ross wrote:
> Copy the .bak file to .sav, then zip all the files for that character
> into a zip file.

great, Great, *GREAT*! That worked, Sputnik is alive again! :)
Now I just hope, my old noisy fan which I placed in the back of my PC
will do his job...

1000 thanks,
Rubinstein