Looking for some college help

ownedinthedome

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2012
How's it going my name is cody, im 21 and currently going to Devry online for my associates in electronic and computer technology. Though I did enjoy the computer technology (A+ and networking), I am hating the electronic part (dealing with resistors, voltage, current, circuits, sine waves, etc.)...it's just not what I am interested in and unfortunately the course description did no justice to the electronic part of it all (neither did the staff). I'm thinking about dropping devry (because they have no other courses that interest me) and going with another school, hopefully being able to transfer credits. I'm looking for a degree program (preferably bachelors) that will advance me more into a computer tech. I really want to work in a company and solve computer problems. Possibly start my own computer repair business or just maintain computers in a corporation. I'm not that big into networking, though I do have much experience dealing with LANs and have taken some networking classes that I believe gave me the information for my CCNA (they were teaching us on telnet and from what I have heard its pretty out of date).

I live in the Rockford area, about 2 hours (maybe a little less maybe a little more) from Chicago. I'd prefer to do in classroom work, so I'd probably be looking at a college in Chicago. I'm doing online right now so I'm pretty used to it, but I'd like to stay away from it if at all possible.

If you guys could help me I would be very much appreciative.

alazeer

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2006
Honestly these days what happens in the computer industry because parts are so cheap to be had now that when something goes bad, Hard Drive, memory and the part isn't covered under warranty they just throw the part away and replace it with a new one. If you already have your A+ then you can already do that without a problem. If you want to repair computers, computer parts etc then you will have to know electronics(capacitors, resistors etc) and know how to solder and replace those on a motherboard etc.

Most people just buy new parts and replace them or build or buy a new computer once their old computer is out of warranty.

If you like the computer field, maybe you might want to go into Networking and become a network engineer, or even better go into cyber-security and learn how to break into computers which will also teach you how to prevent hackers from breaking into computers, networks, web sites, servers etc..

I went to school and obtained my Associates degree in software engineering thinking that's what I wanted to do with the rest of my life (I'm 52), but once I got deep into the program I found out that software isn't really where I wanted to be. I still finished the program with a 3.55GPA and when I graduated I couldn't find any kind of a job because there are too many experienced software engineers out there looking for work. I couldn't even find a paid internship.

Now I'm going back for my bachelors degree in cyber-security/network security because I really like it and there are tons of jobs out there in the field for someone with a high GPA and a bachelors degree. A quick search on a place like DICE and you see pages of those jobs paying anywhere from 50K - 65K to start, because cyber-security is the hot field right now with everyone being hacked into by the chinese, iranians, pakistanies, russians and more.

Good luck, stick to it and I'm sure you will succeed. I wish I had gone to school back when i was young like you are. Then again they didn't have computers when i was a kid lol.