Gaming: One 27" or two 24"

ForYourHealth

Honorable
Jul 11, 2012
Hey guys, I just want your opinion.

I am working on a gaming set up and I can't decide between one 27" monitor or two 23"-24" monitors. The primary use will be video games and I'll be sitting pretty close to the display(s) as I have a fairly small desk.

At work I often use a dual monitor set up and I love what it can do for my productivity. But will the 27" monitor be so big and pretty that it will be worth only having one screen and less multitasking?

What do you think?

I suggest you try the single screen first and find out whether you find yourself switching back to Windows from gaming to do other things often enough to justify running two monitors.

Also, are you considering a 2560x1440 monitor at the 27 inch size?

Trist_58

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2011
If it's mainly for games, I would look at a single 27" monitor. This is mainly because dual monitors won't work too well in games (there would be the bezel of both monitors in the center dividing your view).

Check out the range of 1440p 27" displays around (IPS/PLS etc). Or if ultra smooth/3D gaming is your thing, consider the 120Hz models.

If you are looking for a cheaper alternative, a regular (60Hz) 1080p 27" might suit you. However, IMO these aren't great for your productivity in desktop applications because the pixels are larger and there is less "real estate" available to you.

A single 27" 1440p would be my choice. Just make sure your GPU can handle it!

ForYourHealth

Honorable
Jul 11, 2012

Unfortunately, I won't have the graphics card to support 2560x1440. I will either be buying a Radeon 7950 or a GTX 660ti (when it comes out next month).

I am quite interested in the potential for using two screens in game. Don't some games support extra monitors and allow you to say, have an in-game map open on the second screen? I know I'll also find it useful for things besides gaming, since I'll be using the setup for schoolwork in addition to gaming.

EDIT: I also don't think I could afford a 27" with higher than 1080p resolution. Quite the price increase to move up to 1440.

I don't know of any games that support opening a map on a second screen, you'd have to look at the documentation for your games. Some video cards allow you to span multiple screens for games, but that generally requires 3 screens, because of the bezel issue that Trist_58 mentioned. Looking at AMD Eyefinity documentation, I see it supports 2x2 and 3x2 groups, but I would think those would have similar problems with the bezels. I suppose the second screen for other activities would be attractive if you're used to it, but I haven't really tried that.

If you're willing to look on eBay and have monitors shipped from South Korea, there are some 2560x1440 monitors for $300 or so. Also, if you look at the latest "Best Graphics Cards For The Money" article, a Radeon 7950 is listed as having good 2560x1600 performance. The GTX 660ti isn't listed in the hierarchy chart yet, but I would guess that it will be at most two tiers below the related GTX 670.