Sign in with
Your question

Recent change in software/hardware screen, please help

Last response: in Windows 7
January 8, 2013 2:18:15 PM

I have a question, I am having some problems with a new build, this is the current config

AMD Athlon II X3 3.2 Ghz
Seagate 2TB Serial ATA HD 7200/64MB/SATA-6G
Kingston 8Gb DDR3 1333Mhz
Gigabyte AM3+ AMD 460G Micro ATX AMD motherboard
Ultra LSP450 450W ATX power
SATA DVD-RW

I had installed windows 7 on the harddrive prior to building the computer, I put everything together and
I powered it up, it beeps, first screen is the Gigabyte BIOS page, then it seems it's about to start windows and then jumps to "recent change in software/hardware" screen, where I have the option to either start normal or safe, etc. (I cant go back to last know working config because Windows 7 was freshly installed.)

I hit enter and again same thing.

I have a repair DVD so I can boot from the disk and hit Repair. I put it in the drive, I powered on, hit F9 to change the BIOS so it will boot from the CD/DVD, then enter, again, same "recent change in software/hardware" comes up.
So I decided to power down and power up, DVD-ROM light comes on and then beep, gigabyte bios screen comes up, scripts come up, says boot from CD/DVD and then windows logo for about a sec and again "recent change in software/hardware" comes up, this is an ever ending cycle.
I have noticed that the DVD-ROM only lights up for a couple seconds only when I turn the computer on, when the screen shows Boot from CD/DVD I dont see the light on, this is a new SATA samsung DVD-RW that I had for about a year, I never used it before becuase my old computer didnt have any SATA. This new gigabyte motherboard is all SATA.
I am not sure if the DVD-RW is working, either way I ordered a new DVD-RW SATA that should be coming in today.

Regarless of this, what is usually the problem that triggers the "recent change in software/hardware", the build is pretty standard.
Any ideas on what is going on? is it hardware or software problem?
a b $ Windows 7
January 8, 2013 3:13:21 PM

You need to install windows on the computer it will run on.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
January 8, 2013 3:32:32 PM

Oh lord, Let me guess you had the the Hd connected to another system running with the windows os on, and then you bought some new hardware.
Motherboard ect. and then transferred the old hard drive to the new system.
The problem you have is a conflict with the drivers that are in use and loaded for the old board. Simply it will not work because none of the drivers will be compatible with the new board.

You have to do a fresh install of windows 7 for the new hardware setup.

You have no other way around it. So you will have to put the old drive in another working system with a working OS.

Format that drive through windows, take it out, put it in the new system and it should install windows fine after it.

Don`t use the system repair option because it will only try to install or load all of the old drivers for the board.

You need to use a proper windows install disk in the dvd drive for a fresh install, not a back up disk,or a restore disk.

As the image of windows will be pre built to support the old motherboard and its driver set. that is where the conflict is.

If you use a windows install disk, not a back up, or system restore disk.
Windows should just go through its setup process without errors, and at some point ask you to format the drive anyway for a fresh install to setup the new hardware in the system to set the correct drivers to run with the new board setup.

m
l
Related resources
January 8, 2013 7:18:06 PM

thank you for the prompt response, is the driver conflict one of the reasons why it's not booting from the DVD-RW?
so the only way is to format and re-install the windows 7? I also had adobe CS5 installed on that hard drive, do I have to reinstal again?
m
l
a c 203 $ Windows 7
January 8, 2013 7:29:12 PM

Is that repair DVD a bootable dvd?
If you have a Windows 7 DVD, you could try use that to do a repair install.
If the repair doesn't work, yes everything will need to reinstall.
m
l
January 8, 2013 7:35:21 PM

If the CS5 is in the C drive with the O/S yes, you will have to reinstall it if you reformat the drive. You could try to boot up with the new motherboard driver disk and see if you can load the new drivers. Otherwise you'll have to do a fresh install. It would be best to just do a fresh install anyway. Just be sure only the hard drive your installing windows on is hooked up to the motherboard for the install. Attach any other hard drive afterwards.
m
l
January 8, 2013 8:16:05 PM

rgd1101 said:
Is that repair DVD a bootable dvd?
If you have a Windows 7 DVD, you could try use that to do a repair install.
If the repair doesn't work, yes everything will need to reinstall.

yes, the repair DVD is supposed to be a bootable DVD, I am not sure my DVD-RW drive is working since it's not booting up, I ordered a new DVD-RW drive so I will install it tonight.

PS: sorry for the repeated copies of the post, I keep getting a note that the website is down and to try later.
m
l
January 8, 2013 8:18:02 PM

littleleo said:
If the CS5 is in the C drive with the O/S yes, you will have to reinstall it if you reformat the drive. You could try to boot up with the new motherboard driver disk and see if you can load the new drivers. Otherwise you'll have to do a fresh install. It would be best to just do a fresh install anyway. Just be sure only the hard drive your installing windows on is hooked up to the motherboard for the install. Attach any other hard drive afterwards.

I do have the motherboard disk with the drivers, I will try it tonight.
m
l
January 8, 2013 10:24:32 PM

I changed the DVD drive and the bootable DVD worked, now it's asking me to repair or install new.
m
l
a c 203 $ Windows 7
January 8, 2013 11:04:06 PM

try repair first, if that doesn't work then install new
m
l
January 10, 2013 7:35:18 PM

it seems the old drive was not working, I changed the drive and got to the repair option on the bootable DVD, when I pressed repair, it says that the version on the dvd is not the same as the one installed. Is it possible that i have the wrong bootable DVD?
m
l
!