[RW] Final Plan & contributions requested

christopher

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2003
Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack,rec.games.roguelike.adom,rec.games.roguelike.angband,rec.games.roguelike.misc,rec.games.roguelike.development (More info?)

Hello once again everybody.

Thanks to everyone again for the input, and now I've finally completed
a complete plan for the roguelike webzine (Still no name yet)

Front page
Cover
The ‘cover' will be a small page with the logo, a picture or two and
a few lines about the major articles. Anyone who's seen a magazine
will know what I mean.
Credits
This will list all the people who have contributed to the current
issue in some way, followed by a short rant by the author (me! :) ))
Contents
Another small page with hyperlinks to all the pages in the webzine.
Main section
Announcements
All of the previous month's roguelike announcement will be listed
here for convenience.
Under the spotlight
Each month a different roguelike (or variant) will be tested and
reviewed. These will try and remain positive to motivated the reader
to play the game themselves.
Main articles
Any of the main articles will be here. These will differ each month.
Fan-fic
Any roguelike inspired work (such as stories, pictures, poems etc.)
will be placed or previewed here. It may contain some of my own
fan-fic I have written too.
Tips and Tactics
Tips and tactics articles
Any articles that concern strategy, tactics etc will be in here. Any
articles that are especially spoily will be marked so.
Ask Merdalf
Any gameplay questions that are asked will be answered here by
Merdalf the wise demi-god wizard. Again, any spoily answers will be
marked so. (There probably wont be any in the first issue)
Victory of the month
Each month one interesting Victory/winning/ascension will be
featured here with comments of strategies and tactics. These will be
naturally spoily of course.
Humour
YASD anonymous
A small selection of stupid deaths will be here too laugh at. The
author, of course, can stay anonymous if they want.
Humorous messages
A collection of the funniest messages and message combinations every
given by a game.
The lighter side of R.G.R.*
Any of the funniest posts on Usenet may be reproduced here to laugh
at.
Monthly comic
If a good comic writer can be found a monthly roguelike comic strip
will be here.
Other (for lack of better name)
Trivia column
A small column dedicated to those little-known facts.
Competition
Each month a new competition, puzzle or question will be made
available, and the best answer will be given a prize of 20 dilithium
crystals! (only for Nethack players sorry :-( )
Quizes
Test your roguelike knowledge! Each month one roguelike will be
selected for a ten question quiz.
Preview
A preview of what is to come in the next issue!
Contact and Contributions
A short page containing how to contact me or any major contributors,
and how people can help by contributing a small amount.

Now the only things needed are a website (which I'm working on), and a
few minor contributions from the community. There are a few specific
things that would really help a lot (and if these who can help with
these could e-mail me now that would be great):

1. If someone could design a neat logo for this (once I've decided on
a name) that would be fantastic. As it is I'm just using enlarged ASCI
(which is suitable but still...).
2. As mention in the plan, a monthly comic strip would be great, and
would not take up too much time to do. If anybody can write one they
should contact me.
3. There has been talk about getting a proper website address
(www.roguelikewebzine.net or whatever) but though some people have
tried to explain it I just remain confused. If anyone does get
something like that, tell me, and I'll e-mail them the finished
webzine each month for them to upload.
4. An editor! If anyone is willing to devote an hour or two a month to
edit the webzine that would help. I'm pretty bad at speling, and,
Grammar! :)
5. Major articles. If anybody can contribute an article, or article
idea, for the main section or the tips and tactics section in text
format anytime that would be helpful.
6. Anyone wanting to ask Merdalf something, submit a competition
answer, offer a YASD, Victory/Winning/ascension story, roguelike
review, fan-fic, triva or humour message (etc.) are not just welcome
to, but greatly desired for the success of the webzine

If anyone can do any of these it could be a *HUGE* help to the success
of the roguelike webzine and you'll be forever remembered in the
credits list! Technically I could do all the above myself, but one
only has so much time and it would make issues very slow (and probably
boring and repetitious). Thanks!

"Christopher" <l07amesc@allsaints.wa.edu.au> wrote in message
> Hello once again everybody.

<snip>

> 3. There has been talk about getting a proper website address
> (www.roguelikewebzine.net or whatever) but though some people have
> tried to explain it I just remain confused. If anyone does get
> something like that, tell me, and I'll e-mail them the finished
> webzine each month for them to upload.

If you want to put it at www.roguelikenews.com, I'll host it for you. Just
email it to me.

> 4. An editor! If anyone is willing to devote an hour or two a month to
> edit the webzine that would help. I'm pretty bad at speling, and,
> Grammar! :)

I'll give it a shot until you find someone better. My grammar and spelling
are pretty good.

> 5. Major articles. If anybody can contribute an article, or article
> idea, for the main section or the tips and tactics section in text
> format anytime that would be helpful.

Do you plan on having a section that focuses on Roguelikes in development?
Hmm... you could have a little tombstone that reads R.I.D. instead of R.I.P.
Considering some folks think they're all born dead anyway. ;) LOL

will http://zweistein.wz.cz/public/ruguelike.gif do?

> 2. As mention in the plan, a monthly comic strip would be great, and
> would not take up too much time to do. If anybody can write one they
> should contact me.

maybe i could do that or take turns with other people...

btw: since this is ezine, will you use some kind of CMS sysem, like phpnuke?

good luck with this stuff :]

Christopher wrote:

> Hello once again everybody.
>
> Thanks to everyone again for the input, and now I've finally completed
> a complete plan for the roguelike webzine (Still no name yet)

[snip content]

[snip help needed]

> 3. There has been talk about getting a proper website address
> (www.roguelikewebzine.net or whatever) but though some people have
> tried to explain it I just remain confused. If anyone does get
> something like that, tell me, and I'll e-mail them the finished
> webzine each month for them to upload.

Send me an e-mail if you'd like to get it explained in more detail. I
haven't got the time to or will to spend money on registering it, but I
can help you with technical assitance. You could perhaps check with the
owner of roguelike.net/org and se if he (d.brodale, author/maintainer of
Crawl) would be willing to offer you wespace there.

[snip help needed]

> If anyone can do any of these it could be a *HUGE* help to the success
> of the roguelike webzine and you'll be forever remembered in the
> credits list! Technically I could do all the above myself, but one
> only has so much time and it would make issues very slow (and probably
> boring and repetitious). Thanks!

This all sounds like an interesting project and I wish you good luck!

--
Björn Bergström
roguelike development [http://roguelikedevelopment.org]

Cyde Weys <vze23tnc@verizon.net> wrote in message news:<Xns9540B95BCA9BA2galopagosterrapincy@199.45.49.11>...
> Just a question - who is Merdalf? Just some made-up name? A take-off
> on Gandalf?

A wise old friendly good wizard created by me about a year ago when I
couldn't chose between calling a character Merlin or Gandalf. He has
an evil twin Ganlin too.

zwei.stein@worldonline.cz (Petr Zweistein Prokop) wrote in

> l07amesc@allsaints.wa.edu.au (Christopher) wrote in message

>> 1. If someone could design a neat logo for this (once I've
>> decided on a name) that would be fantastic. As it is I'm just using
>> enlarged ASCI (which is suitable but still...).
>
> will http://zweistein.wz.cz/public/ruguelike.gif do?

It's fine for now, I'm using it at http://www.roguelikes.com ... but ... it
kind of ties us down to a specific domain name. I.e. it should just say
"Roguelike Webzine" rather than have the .net part.

>> 2. As mention in the plan, a monthly comic strip would be great,
>> and would not take up too much time to do. If anybody can write one
>> they should contact me.
>
> maybe i could do that or take turns with other people...
>

> btw: since this is ezine, will you use some kind of CMS sysem, like
> phpnuke?

I haven't used PHP Nuke myself, but my webserver has all the stuff
necessary to support it, if that's the way we want to go.

ok, corrected http://zweistein.wz.cz/public/roguelike.gif

> > btw: since this is ezine, will you use some kind of CMS sysem, like
> > phpnuke?
>
> I haven't used PHP Nuke myself, but my webserver has all the stuff
> necessary to support it, if that's the way we want to go.

good, i suppose it will be a lot easier use some cms that writing one
ourselves or doing plain html pages

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack,rec.games.roguelike.adom,rec.games.roguelike.angband,rec.games.roguelike.misc,rec.games.roguelike.development (More info?)

"Christopher" <l07amesc@allsaints.wa.edu.au> wrote in message
> Hello once again everybody.
> [..]

This looks really good. I hope you get it off the ground.
Just be careful not to alienate one or two groups of people by becoming
too specific (or too non-specific) to a single roguelike.
I'm saying here that ADOM, Angband, Nethack, Crawl *and* Roguelikes in
development should all get equal space here.

> 5. Major articles. If anybody can contribute an article, or article
> idea, for the main section or the tips and tactics section in text
> format anytime that would be helpful.

I can help with roguelikes in development articles. But so can many other
people, and they can do it much better than I. In fact, a quick google
(Bear's AI articles...) in rgrd will show many many great articles ready for
the harvesting (given author's permission).

Perhaps I can also help with Angband and Angband variants. I've been
playing for a pretty long time now (pipe down Timo ;).

--
Glen
L:pyt E+++ T-- R+ P+++ D+ G+ F:*band !RL RLA-

"Glen Wheeler" <gew75@uow.edu.au> wrote in message

> "Christopher" <l07amesc@allsaints.wa.edu.au> wrote in message
> > Hello once again everybody.
> > [..]
>
> This looks really good. I hope you get it off the ground.
> Just be careful not to alienate one or two groups of people by
becoming
> too specific (or too non-specific) to a single roguelike.
> I'm saying here that ADOM, Angband, Nethack, Crawl *and* Roguelikes
in
> development should all get equal space here.
>
> > 5. Major articles. If anybody can contribute an article, or article
> > idea, for the main section or the tips and tactics section in text
> > format anytime that would be helpful.
>
> I can help with roguelikes in development articles. But so can many
other
> people, and they can do it much better than I. In fact, a quick
google
> (Bear's AI articles...) in rgrd will show many many great articles
ready for
> the harvesting (given author's permission).
>
> Perhaps I can also help with Angband and Angband variants. I've
been
> playing for a pretty long time now (pipe down Timo ;).

I wouldn't mind doing odd bits here and there - indeed, this sort
of thing might get me interested enough in roguelikes to start playing
them again, and thus having enough experience to write reviews of new
Angband variants in particular. Many of them, in fact, I would be
approaching as a comparative newbie - I haven't played a lot of the more
recent variants (in particular because I just don't like the hassle of
getting them to work and display properly on Windows XP [1]: why oh why
are there so few compilers that actually make their modern variants WORK
STRAIGHT OUT OF THE BOX WITHOUT REQUIRING EDITING on XP, which is - like
it or not - one of the most used computer platforms out there? I am
referring, of course, to the Floor Display and Bizarre Display bugs,
which are now known by EVERY maintainer and could take less than a
minute to fix, plus a re-upload of the source - or compiled version -
without even, frankly, needing a change of version number.)

Jonathan.

[1] Even though I know perfectly well how to make them work, frankly I
believe that ANYTHING that comes between "Download/Unzip" and "Play" is
by definition the maintainer's problem: if you have to fiddle with the
pref files out-of-game to make it work, this is the maintainer's
responsibility. In any case, many newbies don't know how to make it
work, and the process of explaining it is fiddly and complicated and
difficult to understand at first go. So they don't do it, or don't play.
Playing of Angband and its variants, and comments on the board, has gone
down very quickly since Windows XP came out: I don't believe the timing
to have been a coincidence, the games being now lacking the basic
functionality of "Play Without Needing To Hack It About First" on what
became the most-used computer platform.

>> It's fine for now, I'm using it at http://www.roguelikes.com ... but
>> ... it kind of ties us down to a specific domain name. I.e. it
>> should just say "Roguelike Webzine" rather than have the .net part.
>

> ok, corrected http://zweistein.wz.cz/public/roguelike.gif

Thanks. I've updated it at my site.

Cyde Weys <vze23tnc@verizon.net> wrote in message news:<Xns9541B09E5492B2galopagosterrapincy@199.45.49.11>...
> zwei.stein@worldonline.cz (Petr Zweistein Prokop) wrote in
>

> >> It's fine for now, I'm using it at http://www.roguelikes.com ... but
> >> ... it kind of ties us down to a specific domain name. I.e. it
> >> should just say "Roguelike Webzine" rather than have the .net part.
> >

> > ok, corrected http://zweistein.wz.cz/public/roguelike.gif
>
> Thanks. I've updated it at my site.

Nice! I'll be using that on the main page a think. :)

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack,rec.games.roguelike.adom,rec.games.roguelike.angband,rec.games.roguelike.misc,rec.games.roguelike.development (More info?)

Uzytkownik "Christopher" <l07amesc@allsaints.wa.edu.au> napisal w wiadomosci

When making any plans, remember that you are only going to get about 5% of
the declared help. And this experience of mine comes from running a printed
magazine that actually paid for the content, so it is possible that you
won't get even that.
If you need some help, count me in :)
--
Filip Dreger

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack,rec.games.roguelike.adom,rec.games.roguelike.angband,rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

Filip Dreger wrote:
> Uzytkownik "Christopher" <l07amesc@allsaints.wa.edu.au> napisal w
> wiadomosci news:befbd26b.0408082243.4da7080a@posting.google.com...

> When making any plans, remember that you are only going to get about
> 5% of the declared help.

> If you need some help, count me in :)

And you're part of the 95%, I guess... :)

--
Boudewijn Waijers (bwaijers at home.nl).

"So computers are tools of the Devil? thought Newt. He had no problem
believing it. Computers had to be the tools of *somebody*, and all he
knew for certain was that it definitely wasn't him."
- Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman, in "Good Omens".

christopher

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2003

"Boudewijn Waijers" <kroisos@REMOVETHISWORD.home.nl> wrote in message news:<cfe7qv$a0p$1@news5.tilbu1.nb.home.nl>...
> Filip Dreger wrote:
> > Uzytkownik "Christopher" <l07amesc@allsaints.wa.edu.au> napisal w
> > wiadomosci news:befbd26b.0408082243.4da7080a@posting.google.com...
>
> > When making any plans, remember that you are only going to get about
> > 5% of the declared help.
>
> > If you need some help, count me in :)
>
> And you're part of the 95%, I guess... :)

He could mean he'll only contribute 5% of an article. That's like, two
sentences. :p

> "Boudewijn Waijers" <kroisos@REMOVETHISWORD.home.nl> wrote in message

> > > When making any plans, remember that you are only going to get about
> > > 5% of the declared help.
> >
> > > If you need some help, count me in :)
> >
> > And you're part of the 95%, I guess... :)
>
> He could mean he'll only contribute 5% of an article. That's like, two
> sentences. :p

Laugh while you still can ;-) Being an editor will turn you into a bitter,
hollow shell of a man.

--

Filip Dreger wrote:

> Laugh while you still can ;-) Being an editor will turn you into a
> bitter, hollow shell of a man.

No it won't. *I* am not a bitter, hollow shell of a man (and man... have
I been an editor!).

I was the compiler and editor of the (AD&D 2nd ed.) Great Net Spellbook
and Prayerbook for about six years. I know what it's like to be an
editor.

--
Boudewijn Waijers (bwaijers at home.nl).

"So computers are tools of the Devil? thought Newt. He had no problem
believing it. Computers had to be the tools of *somebody*, and all he
knew for certain was that it definitely wasn't him."
- Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman, in "Good Omens".

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack,rec.games.roguelike.adom,rec.games.roguelike.angband,rec.games.roguelike.misc,rec.games.roguelike.development (More info?)

Hi,
I dunno if this thread is still running or if it's all in a new one, it's
hard to tell because most of them are all cross-posted (could we keep new
threads on just 1 or 2 groups?), but my 2p:

On Sun, 08 Aug 2004 23:43:44 -0700, Christopher wrote:

> Thanks to everyone again for the input, and now I've finally completed
> a complete plan for the roguelike webzine (Still no name yet)
>
> Front page
> Cover
> The ‘cover' will be a small page with the logo, a picture or two and
> a few lines about the major articles. Anyone who's seen a magazine
> will know what I mean.

Please bear in mind that any production such as a magazine, book, etc
has to take into account the medium it is in. Having a front cover with
a big logo, and things like full contents pages *on pages inside* may
be entirely appropriate to a printed magazine, but that doesn't make it
right for a web-based magazine.

My suggestion is that, assuming you're having the format of separate HTML
pages on the web, you should have such as front page include the logo,
whatever sort of summary you want for the issue, *and* the full contents
page in one. Just having a pretty title page that you look at for a second
or 2 before clicking through to a contents page tends to be *annoying*.

That sort of thing tends to happen especially often when people use
*flash* on their sites ;)

Speaking of which, if you're doing it in HTML, *please* make it *simple*
and broadly-compatible HTML, not tons of Javascript etc? It's a b0rken
enough format as it is...

Ok, so that was more like 5p. That's inflation for you.

Good luck with the project, hope it does better than many of the
sites that came and went since Darren Hebden's RLNews! :)
-Tomble
--
---------------Contact Info-------------------
$(USER)=tomble $(DOMAIN)=usermail.com

Tom Barnes-Lawrence <address_given@my_signature_below.com> wrote in message news:<pan.2004.08.13.01.54.54.356328@my_signature_below.com>...
> Hi,
> I dunno if this thread is still running or if it's all in a new one, it's
> hard to tell because most of them are all cross-posted (could we keep new
> threads on just 1 or 2 groups?), but my 2p:
>
> On Sun, 08 Aug 2004 23:43:44 -0700, Christopher wrote:
>
> > Thanks to everyone again for the input, and now I've finally completed
> > a complete plan for the roguelike webzine (Still no name yet)
> >
> > Front page
> > Cover
> > The ?cover' will be a small page with the logo, a picture or two and
> > a few lines about the major articles. Anyone who's seen a magazine
> > will know what I mean.
>
> Please bear in mind that any production such as a magazine, book, etc
> has to take into account the medium it is in. Having a front cover with
> a big logo, and things like full contents pages *on pages inside* may
> be entirely appropriate to a printed magazine, but that doesn't make it
> right for a web-based magazine.
>
> My suggestion is that, assuming you're having the format of separate HTML
> pages on the web, you should have such as front page include the logo,
> whatever sort of summary you want for the issue, *and* the full contents
> page in one. Just having a pretty title page that you look at for a second
> or 2 before clicking through to a contents page tends to be *annoying*.

Hmmm... Good point. I'll take note of that.

> That sort of thing tends to happen especially often when people use
> *flash* on their sites ;)
>
> Speaking of which, if you're doing it in HTML, *please* make it *simple*
> and broadly-compatible HTML, not tons of Javascript etc? It's a b0rken
> enough format as it is...

Well I dont know how to write complex HTML so no worries there!

> Ok, so that was more like 5p. That's inflation for you.

LOL :)

In article <Xns9543E0434713Bneo1061hotmailcom@66.185.95.104>, Neodymium <neo_1061@127.0.0.1> wrote:
>That's because flash is *evil* and throbs with the diabolical powers of

I must have missed something. I always found Flash to be small,
stable, fast, and antialiased to boot.

There are 10 mediocre flash artists to every good one (I know because
I am one of the mediocre ones), but that's no fault of the technology.

Alan

amonroejj@yahoo.com (R. Alan Monroe) wrote:
>In article <Xns9543E0434713Bneo1061hotmailcom@66.185.95.104>, Neodymium <neo_1061@127.0.0.1> wrote:
>>That's because flash is *evil* and throbs with the diabolical powers of
>
>I must have missed something. I always found Flash to be small,
>stable, fast, and antialiased to boot.

.... and requiring a proprietary viewer, which is an instant downcheck in
my book. Proprietary applications fine, proprietary file formats bad.
(see also Microsfot Wrod.)

m.

http://www.openswf.org/spec.html

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack,rec.games.roguelike.adom,rec.games.roguelike.angband,rec.games.roguelike.misc,rec.games.roguelike.development (More info?)

U¿ytkownik "Martin Read" <mpread@chiark.greenend.org.uk> napisa³ w
wiadomo¶ci
> ... and requiring a proprietary viewer, which is an instant downcheck in
> my book. Proprietary applications fine, proprietary file formats bad.
> (see also Microsfot Wrod.)
AFAIK the format is open?
--
Filip Dreger

Glen Wheeler wrote:

> "Christopher" <l07amesc@allsaints.wa.edu.au> wrote in message

>>5. Major articles. If anybody can contribute an article, or article
>>idea, for the main section or the tips and tactics section in text
>>format anytime that would be helpful.

> Perhaps I can also help with Angband and Angband variants. I've been
> playing for a pretty long time now (pipe down Timo ;).

I'm not the oldest player around :)

I might do that same for vanilla angband. I have been playing a lot and
I know some "tricks" and general guidelines how to survive in dungeon.

Variants vary, so I'm not expert for those. But those general guidelines
apply to all of them. Most of them apply to other roguelikes too.

Timo Pietilä

On Mon, 16 Aug 2004 10:16:19 +0300, Timo Pietilä wrote:

> Glen Wheeler wrote:
>
>> "Christopher" <l07amesc@allsaints.wa.edu.au> wrote in message
>
>>>5. Major articles. If anybody can contribute an article, or article
>>>idea, for the main section or the tips and tactics section in text
>>>format anytime that would be helpful.
>
>> Perhaps I can also help with Angband and Angband variants. I've been
>> playing for a pretty long time now (pipe down Timo ;).
>
> I'm not the oldest player around :)
>
> I might do that same for vanilla angband. I have been playing a lot and
> I know some "tricks" and general guidelines how to survive in dungeon.
>
> Variants vary, so I'm not expert for those. But those general guidelines
> apply to all of them. Most of them apply to other roguelikes too.

If you want to link to ToME strategy infos:
http://wiki.t-o-m-e.net/Spoilers_2fLord_20Dimwit_27s_20Advanced_20Strategy_20Guide

This is Lord Dimwit marvelous strategy guide for advanced(>=20 or so)
chars.

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack,rec.games.roguelike.adom,rec.games.roguelike.angband,rec.games.roguelike.misc,rec.games.roguelike.development (More info?)

Hail and sacrafice to Neodymium <neo_1061@127.0.0.1>
Lord of Terror, and destroyer of souls!

>In 2101, war was beginning and we got signal. In
>rec.games.roguelike.angband, amonroejj@yahoo.com (R. Alan Monroe) set up
>us this post:
>
>> There are 10 mediocre flash artists to every good one (I know because
>> I am one of the mediocre ones), but that's no fault of the technology.
>
>There's only one example of Flash I've ever seen that I approved of. ;P
>
>http://rmitz.org/AYB3.swf

All your food rations are belong to us
--
no, i didn't forget the 'F's