christopher

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2003
Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack,rec.games.roguelike.angband,rec.games.roguelike.misc,rec.games.roguelike.adom (More info?)

Finaly the roguelike webzine has a name:

Rogue-@holics monthly

(subject to change)

l07amesc@allsaints.wa.edu.au (Christopher) wrote in

> Finaly the roguelike webzine has a name:
>
> Rogue-@holics monthly
>
> (subject to change)

Mehhh ....

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack,rec.games.roguelike.angband,rec.games.roguelike.misc,rec.games.roguelike.adom (More info?)

On 10 Aug 2004 21:31:15 -0700, l07amesc@allsaints.wa.edu.au
(Christopher) tried to confuse everyone with this message:

I like Rogue-@ssholes more...

--
|Here you can see, how awful I'm at Quake speedrunning| Grue(at)mail.ru|
|E1M1 :29 E1M5 :19 E2M1 :10 E3M2 :22 E4M5 :15,===""================;
|E1M2 :36 E1M6 :11 E2M3 :27 E4M1 :30 E4M6 :24|->grue3.tripod.com<--|
|E1M3_:43__E1M7_:14__E3M1_:43__E4M2_:52__END__:37;================[4*72]

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack,rec.games.roguelike.angband,rec.games.roguelike.misc,rec.games.roguelike.adom (More info?)

l07amesc@allsaints.wa.edu.au (Christopher) wrote in

> Finaly the roguelike webzine has a name:
>
> Rogue-@holics monthly
>
> (subject to change)

Pronounced "Rogue-at-holics"?

grue@mail.ru (Timofei Shatrov) writes:

> On 10 Aug 2004 21:31:15 -0700, l07amesc@allsaints.wa.edu.au
> (Christopher) tried to confuse everyone with this message:
>
>>Finaly the roguelike webzine has a name:
>>
>>Rogue-@holics monthly
>
> I like Rogue-@ssholes more...

What does atssholes mean? Or Rogue-atholics, for that matter..

--
Panu
"You haven't really been anywhere until you've got back home",

"Christopher" <l07amesc@allsaints.wa.edu.au> wrote in message
> Finaly the roguelike webzine has a name:
>
> Rogue-@holics monthly
>
> (subject to change)

Don't worry about the detractors...especially with nothing constructive to
add.

What about In Rogue?

--
Glen
L:pyt E+++ T-- R+ P+++ D+ G+ F:*band !RL RLA-

In rec.games.roguelike.adom Glen Wheeler <gew75@uow.edu.au> wrote:

> "Christopher" <l07amesc@allsaints.wa.edu.au> wrote in message
>> Finaly the roguelike webzine has a name:
>>
>> Rogue-@holics monthly
>>
>> (subject to change)

> Don't worry about the detractors...especially with nothing constructive to
> add.

> What about In Rogue?

I would've suggested that also, or En Rogue. Or how about Rogue's Royce?
Arti-Facts? The Daily Wield? The Dart Trap?

VS wrote:

> I would've suggested that also, or En Rogue. Or how about Rogue's Royce?
> Arti-Facts? The Daily Wield? The Dart Trap?

A set of fine suggestions!

I like The Dart Trap most. Also The Dayly Wield and En Rogue are great.
(Though I'd abstain from similarities to existing brands; a variation:
The Rogue's Choice?)

Janis

Cyde Weys <vze23tnc@verizon.net> wrote in message news:<Xns954211E82967C2galopagosterrapincy@199.45.49.11>...
> l07amesc@allsaints.wa.edu.au (Christopher) wrote in
>
> > Finaly the roguelike webzine has a name:
> >
> > Rogue-@holics monthly
> >
> > (subject to change)
>
> Mehhh ....

umm... what is 'Mehhh'? Good, bad, indiffernet, pathetic, it'll-do,
clever, sad, happy, cheesestick, 100k weight...

"Glen Wheeler" <gew75@uow.edu.au> wrote in

> "Christopher" <l07amesc@allsaints.wa.edu.au> wrote in message
>> Finaly the roguelike webzine has a name:
>>
>> Rogue-@holics monthly
>>
>> (subject to change)
>
> Don't worry about the detractors...especially with nothing
> constructive to
> add.

Personally, as one of the detractors, I would suggest 'Eugor', if only
because it can be pronounced 'Igor'.

Neodymium wrote:

> I liked the idea of calling it simply "Rogue" and spoofing Vogue covers.
> ;)

Wonderful... now I'm stuck with a mental image of a half-orc in a
bikini. It's a sight only Captain Kirk would love, let me tell you.

sherm--

On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 18:35:16 +1000, "Glen Wheeler" <gew75@uow.edu.au>
tried to confuse everyone with this message:

>"Christopher" <l07amesc@allsaints.wa.edu.au> wrote in message
>> Finaly the roguelike webzine has a name:
>>
>> Rogue-@holics monthly
>>
>> (subject to change)
>
> Don't worry about the detractors...especially with nothing constructive to
>add.

Well, I'll add more suggestions to be more "constructive".

1.SPRL: Society for Promotion of RogueLikes

2.F@-acceptance Crossposted Monthly

3.Yet Another Roguelike Webzine

4.Moulin-Rogue

5.@

--

Neodymium wrote:
> In 2101, war was beginning and we got signal. In
> rec.games.roguelike.angband, l07amesc@allsaints.wa.edu.au (Christopher)
> set up us this post:
>
>> Cyde Weys <vze23tnc@verizon.net> wrote in message
>>> l07amesc@allsaints.wa.edu.au (Christopher) wrote in

>>> Mehhh ....
>>
>> umm... what is 'Mehhh'? Good, bad, indiffernet, pathetic, it'll-do,
>> clever, sad, happy, cheesestick, 100k weight...
>
> It's one of those words that means whatever the author wants it to
> mean. ;P

In german ears it sounds like a sheep who tries to be competent.

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack,rec.games.roguelike.angband,rec.games.roguelike.misc,rec.games.roguelike.adom (More info?)

"Christopher" <l07amesc@allsaints.wa.edu.au> wrote:

> Finaly the roguelike webzine has a name:

> Rogue-@holics monthly

> (subject to change)

Other possiblities:

The Down Stairs
Down in the Dungeon
Rogue's Ruin
Darksiders' Digest
Tombstone Fast-Track
All the Bones That's Fit to Print
The Ghostward Rogue
Dungeons for Dummies
Artifactually Yours
Rogue's Diet
The @er's Journal
@er's Roguenonymous
Diving for Zorkmids
Dagger, Sack, and Lantern
"You Hear a Strange Noise"
"What Would You Like to Read?"
The "DYWYPI?" Times
The Fortunate Rogue

I suspect I could do that all day.
Time to stop.

xanthian.

Sherm Pendley <spamtrap@dot-app.org> wrote in message news:<x8-dneLnDs8IrIbcRVn-hA@adelphia.com>...
> Neodymium wrote:
>
> > I liked the idea of calling it simply "Rogue" and spoofing Vogue covers.
> > ;)
>
> Wonderful... now I'm stuck with a mental image of a half-orc in a
> bikini. It's a sight only Captain Kirk would love, let me tell you.

That reminds me of this from ages and ages ago...

"From: Simon de Vet (sdevet@istar.ca)
Subject: Filk (Not the quest...)
Newsgroups: rec.games.roguelike.adom
Date: 1998/10/16

[Enter, Stage Right, an Orc Barbarian. Said Barbarian walks towards
stage center. About halfway, he trips, and begins to prance around to
music just starting. The Barbarian begins to sing:]

Brabarian: "Oh... I wish I were a Chaos Ending Winner!
That is what I'd truly like to be!
For if I were a Chaos Ending Winner,
Everyone would be so proud of me!"

[Upon ending of first verse, the back curtian rises, and an entire
chorus line of Trolls, dressed in tutus appear. They begin singing, arm
in arm, kicking out their legs in unison to the music]

Trolls: "Oh, he wish he were a Chaos Ending Winner!
That is what he truly want to be.
For if he were a Chaos Ending Winner,
We would be so very proud of he!"

[As this verse comes to an end, things seem to be happening. A Booming
Voice (The-One-Who-Rages, perhaps?) joins the chorus. A dozen Fire
Elementals join, as a torch procession. Greater Molochs stand by the
sides, framing the group, grinning. A big finish.]

All: "Oh, I wish/he wish I/he were a Chaos Ending Winner!
That is what I/he truly want to be.
For if I/he were a Chaos Ending Winner,
Everyone/We would be so proud of me/he!"

Tada. Adom, the musical."

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack,rec.games.roguelike.angband,rec.games.roguelike.misc,rec.games.roguelike.adom (More info?)

l07amesc@allsaints.wa.edu.au (Christopher) wrote in

> Finaly the roguelike webzine has a name:
>
> Rogue-@holics monthly
>
> (subject to change)

I thought "@" was hilarious, but would be too difficult to unambiguously
reference.

One suggestion from me: "-more-"

Also, kudos to these suggestions:
The Daily Wield
En Rogue

In rec.games.roguelike.adom David Vestal <someoggetridofthis@mailcity.com> wrote:

> One suggestion from me: "-more-"

Sheer perfection, that. I can't imagine anyone coming up with a better name.

555

christopher

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2003
Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack,rec.games.roguelike.angband,rec.games.roguelike.misc,rec.games.roguelike.adom (More info?)

Yeesh...

I ask for suggestion for names and get about 5 responses, but as soon
as I post a topic announcing the name I get flooded with
suggestions...

Now how am I going to choose which one to use now? (shrugs and shakes
head).

Still they are nice names anyhow, maybe I'll just change the name each
month! :)

VS wrote:
> In rec.games.roguelike.adom David Vestal
> <someoggetridofthis@mailcity.com> wrote:

>> One suggestion from me: "-more-"

> Sheer perfection, that. I can't imagine anyone coming up with a
> better name.

"--more--", perhaps?

It's very NetHacky, though. The name should appeal to all roguelikes, I
guess.

--
Boudewijn Waijers (bwaijers at home.nl).

"So computers are tools of the Devil? thought Newt. He had no problem
believing it. Computers had to be the tools of *somebody*, and all he
knew for certain was that it definitely wasn't him."
- Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman, in "Good Omens".

Neodymium wrote:
> grue@mail.ru (Timofei Shatrov) set up us this post:

>> 4.Moulin-Rogue
> Eh?

A pun on the Parisean theatre "Moulin Rouge".

--

Neodymium writes:

>>> Eh?
>>
>> A pun on the Parisean theatre "Moulin Rouge".
>
> Bah. I don't speak a word of French. Translaye for me?

Since the pun has nothing to do with the translation, what difference does
it make?

Michael Roper

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack,rec.games.roguelike.angband,rec.games.roguelike.misc,rec.games.roguelike.adom (More info?)

David Vestal <someoggetridofthis@mailcity.com> wrote:
>One suggestion from me: "-more-"

Trademark clash on UK soil. There's a teenagers-and-young-women
magazine called "more".

m.

Boudewijn Waijers wrote:
> VS wrote:
>
>>In rec.games.roguelike.adom David Vestal
>><someoggetridofthis@mailcity.com> wrote:
>
>>>One suggestion from me: "-more-"
>
>>Sheer perfection, that. I can't imagine anyone coming up with a
>>better name.
>
> "--more--", perhaps?
>
> It's very NetHacky, though. The name should appeal to all roguelikes, I
> guess.

[Insert cross-roguelike flamewar over whether we should use one dash on
each side or two.]

How about just "The Daily @"????

"Neodymium" <neo_1061@127.0.0.1> wrote in message
> In 2101, war was beginning and we got signal. In
> rec.games.roguelike.angband, "Boudewijn Waijers"
> <kroisos@REMOVETHISWORD.home.nl> set up us this post:
>
> > Neodymium wrote:
> >> grue@mail.ru (Timofei Shatrov) set up us this post:

> >> Eh?
> >
> > A pun on the Parisean theatre "Moulin Rouge".
>
> Bah. I don't speak a word of French. Translaye for me?

You must be joking. After the last tangent in this same thread?

Sometimes I think Neo does this as a kind of troll in-joke...

--
Glen
L:pyt E+++ T-- R+ P+++ D+ G+ F:*band !RL RLA-