crapple0

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Hey guys...

I've had this CPU for several years now. I know, or I think I know, that it's something in the 486 class, but I can't be sure. It fits, and works into a Socket 2, but it doesn't use all the pins.

I took a few pictures here <A HREF="http://www.crapple0.com/mysteryCPU" target="_new">http://www.crapple0.com/mysteryCPU</A>. Let me know what you think!

~Crapple0

"intel inside, idiot outside"

Ncogneto

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Your right it is but that one has a cyrix chip in it. I forget the brand name right of hand but it is one of those 486 to pentium upgrade overdrive chips. Definatly not the evergreen or penitum model thus the cyrix.

A little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I know how to figure it out, but it's a difficult task. Push the processor out of the adapter card gently, being carefull not to bend the pins too far. My guess is that it is a 486 overdrive that fits into an expansion card (probably MCA) on an IBM 386.

Suicide is painless...........

crapple0

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
thanks for the input guys. How would I find what clockspeed this thing is? When I boot a computer with it, it says 486 DX/2.....does that mean it's the 50 or 66?

By the way, it fits into the original socket on the motherboard. As I mentioned, it's socket 2. I could take pictures of the mobo and chipset and all...if anyone could help me identify the ah heck.

~Crapple0

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Dang, wrong post, sorry, Fugger is probably right, I have only seen a few unmarked chips. Like I said, the writing is probably on the bottom of the chip itself, which would have to be removed from the resistor card. What are you scared? I've done it before, it's just pressed in!

Suicide is painless...........<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Crashman on 02/19/01 07:58 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

crapple0

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
On the motherboard?!? There's nothing to indicate speed on the cpu...which I found to be very strange. I can't even figure out what brand it is.

~Crapple0

FUGGER

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Seperate the chip from the voltage regulator, should be the name under the CPU with the Mhz rating.

For almost a year that 486 overdrive was sold with blank face. most noticeable was the large white dot marking pin 1.
Notice "Overdrive" on the voltage regulator with Multiplier settings daughter card.

After looking at the jumper settings again, it might be a 66Mhz

2x 33Mhz = 66Mhz
2.5 x 33Mhz = 75Mhz
3 x 33Mhz = 100Mhz

crapple0

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
how do you do that? I've tried prying it apart, but it doesn't budge easily. I'm afraid of breaking it. Any suggestions?

~Crapple0