[Crawl] Windows binary woes

SO, this is propably a stupid question, but

How do I make the Windows binary of Crawl look like the Dos Binary when
fullscreen. Under MY XP, the DOS gives a decent, clear DOS-type display,
while the windows gives one with mucked up font-size and colours, and
is, well, damn ugly.

I've tried to fiddle with the window controls. THis helps a bit in
windowed mode, but is still ugly fullscreen.

THe reason I've switched to Win-version is that the Darshan patched
version of Crawl is only available in that.

Thanks,

"Olli "Shader" Juhala" <shaderNO@SPAMsurffi.net> wrote in message
> SO, this is propably a stupid question, but
>
> How do I make the Windows binary of Crawl look like the Dos Binary when
> fullscreen. Under MY XP, the DOS gives a decent, clear DOS-type display,
> while the windows gives one with mucked up font-size and colours, and
> is, well, damn ugly.
>
> I've tried to fiddle with the window controls. THis helps a bit in
> windowed mode, but is still ugly fullscreen.
>
> THe reason I've switched to Win-version is that the Darshan patched
> version of Crawl is only available in that.

I don't know what to tell you, except that I encountered the exact same
thing and switched back to DOS because of it.

--
Glen
L:pyt E+++ T-- R+ P+++ D+ G+ F:*band !RL RLA-

"Olli \"Shader\" Juhala" <shaderNO@SPAMsurffi.net> wrote:

> SO, this is propably a stupid question, but

> How do I make the Windows binary of Crawl look like the Dos Binary
> when fullscreen.
[...]
> THe reason I've switched to Win-version is that the Darshan
> patched version of Crawl is only available in that.

Well, I've had DOS binaries lying around forever, I just didn't upload
them because I didn't think anybody wanted them. Here's a link:

http://www.angelfire.com/trek/mazewest/binaries/dc400b26tr-dos.zip

Darshan

Olli "Shader" Juhala wrote:
> How do I make the Windows binary of Crawl look like the Dos Binary when
> fullscreen. Under MY XP, the DOS gives a decent, clear DOS-type display,
> while the windows gives one with mucked up font-size and colours, and
> is, well, damn ugly.

Windows is getting confused about the console's scrollback buffer. Open
the properties of the console window, go to the layout tab and change
the buffer height to 25 (you don't need a scrollback buffer for crawl
anyway). Now Windows should use the right font size in fullscreen.

> THe reason I've switched to Win-version is that the Darshan patched
> version of Crawl is only available in that.

Btw, I really hated that the windows version doesn't support the
function keys for macros, so I downloaded the sources and changed that.
Is anyone interested in a patch file? Darshan could include this
little fix in his patch if he wanted to, I used his patched sources as a
base anyway.

Alexander Beisig wrote:
> Olli "Shader" Juhala wrote:
>
>> How do I make the Windows binary of Crawl look like the Dos Binary
>> when fullscreen. Under MY XP, the DOS gives a decent, clear DOS-type
>> display, while the windows gives one with mucked up font-size and
>> colours, and is, well, damn ugly.
>

> Windows is getting confused about the console's scrollback buffer. Open
> the properties of the console window, go to the layout tab and change
> the buffer height to 25 (you don't need a scrollback buffer for crawl
> anyway). Now Windows should use the right font size in fullscreen.

That helped, thanks. Silly me.