[crawl] YACD: chaos knight: armour or magic?

Last response: in Video Games
Share
August 18, 2004 2:35:19 PM

after a six month break i'm back to crawl. and after a couple of false
starts, it's going quite well.

i started well, getting poison spit as my first mutation. i also found
an orcish scimitar and plate mail early that i started using straight
away, and looked to set the tone of the character.

Xom's ignored me for the most part, a few temporary effects, but only
one mutation. he/she/it did give me a pet smoke demon quite early on
that i let to a lot of my killing (until it met an ice beast). he also
gave me the double sword of slicing that i'm using at the moment.
chopitty-chop.

i've cleared the dungeon lv11 and the orcish mines, and the entrace to
the lair is on this level. i've just captured a naga guardian vault,
which has yielded mainly jewelery.

so what's the problem? well, i've got no ranged attacks (barring
emergency wands), so i'm looking to learn some spells. i've got my eye
on fire magic and enchantment, particularly. i still intend to use melee
as my primary kill-mode, however.

the problem is my armour. with dodging 1 and armour 6, i've made some
investment in heavy armour, and i like the way it keeps me alive. but it
does hammer spellcasting. leaving aside lucky rarities like crystal
plate, is there a heavy armour that isn't too bad for spellcasting?

should i wear the rings of intelligence and wizardry and light armour
all the time, or just when practicing spells?

speaking of practicing spells, i'm a bit paranoid about magical
contamination from miscasting. any advice for avoiding it? does a small
amount of contamination leach away over time? if so, how long?

===============

scary the Slicer (Demonspawn)
(Level 10 Chaos Knight)

Play time: 02:48:03 Number of turns: 15412

Experience : 10/10256
Strength 15 Dexterity 15 Intelligence 12
Hit Points : 81 Magic Points : 12
AC : 27 Evasion : 8 Shield : 0
//this is why i'm loathe to give up my plate mail

GP : 1644
//not a single shop so far.

You are on level 11.
You worship Xom.
You are not hungry.

Inventory:
Hand weapons
a - a +2,+1 double sword of slicing (weapon)
//thank you Xom!
b - an uncursed bow
Missiles
u - 9 arrows
//i've got more arrows somewhere, but it's pretty ineffectual.

Armour
h - a +1 pair of boots (worn)
p - a +0 orcish plate mail (worn)
K - the +2 ring mail "Odyw"
It protects you from fire.
P - a +1 wizard's hat of intelligence
//does this help spellcasting beyond the int bonus?

R - a +2 helmet (worn)
Magical devices
e - a wand of teleportation
s - a wand of fire
w - a wand of draining
A - a wand of draining
D - a tapered plastic wand
G - a wand of digging
I - an encrusted bone wand
Comestibles
c - 3 bread rations
m - 2 rotting chunks of giant frog flesh
o - 2 meat rations
Scrolls
j - a scroll of detect curse
n - a scroll of curse armour
x - a scroll of blinking
y - 2 scrolls of teleportation
C - 2 scrolls of remove curse
Jewellery
f - a ring of ice
k - a ring of wizardry
l - a +4 ring of protection (right hand)
t - an amulet of rage (around neck)
//very handy

E - a +3 ring of protection (left hand)
F - a ring of magical power
J - an uncursed brass ring
M - an uncursed ruby amulet
N - a +6 ring of intelligence
Potions
d - 2 potions of restore abilities
q - a metallic cyan potion
r - a bubbling silvery potion
z - 2 potions of might
B - a potion of speed
Books
i - a book of Charms
v - a book of Summonings
L - a book of Envenomations
// also got a book of flames and a book of wizardry stashed in the
// temple. on the lookout for divinations

Magical staves
g - a staff of enchantment

You have 688 experience left.

Skills:
+ Level 7 Fighting
- Level 4 Short Blades
+ Level 11 Long Blades
+ Level 3 Bows
+ Level 3 Darts
+ Level 2 Throwing
+ Level 6 Armour
+ Level 1 Dodging
+ Level 1 Stabbing
+ Level 2 Traps & Doors
+ Level 1 Spellcasting

You have 10 spell levels left.
You know the following spells:

Your Spells Type Success Level
a - Corona Enchantment Useless 1
//goes up to Good with all the magical/intelligence accoutrements and no
//armour, Very Good when using the staff.

Mutations & Other Weirdness
You are surrounded by a mild repulsion field (ev + 1).
* You can spit poison.
//got early, used to deal with those early ogres.
* You are immune to negative energy.
//that's one less spiece of jewelery i have to scare up
* You are mostly covered in white scales (AC + 3).

--
ru
Anonymous

ru <ru@no.spam.please.net> wrote in message news:<slrnci6c77.2rlp.ru@newred.gradwell.net>...
> after a six month break i'm back to crawl. and after a couple of false
> starts, it's going quite well.

Yes, it is looking quite good!

> so what's the problem? well, i've got no ranged attacks (barring
> emergency wands), so i'm looking to learn some spells. i've got my eye
> on fire magic and enchantment, particularly.

An enchanted bow with reasonable Str & skill can deal out substantial
damage.
The key is to have damage bonuses on the bow. (Unless I've read the
code wrong, a +0+4 bow with Bow skill 10 will do more average damage
than your doublesword...)

I like using wands with my fighters. Yes they run out, but you have no
plan to use them as your primary killing mode.

> Armor & spellcasting.
Platemail makes casting a level 1 spell about as hard as a level 5
spell. I use a guideline of having a spell skill of x2 the spell
level. So, to expect to be able to cast level 1 & 2 spells with Plate
on, you need a spell skill of approx 10. Using the staff of
enchantments, you could get away with level 5'ish.

If you want to continue to use Armor and cast spells, find some Elven
armor or some type of dragon armor, until you have higher spell
skills.

But with a staff of enchantment & ring of ice you could become a
rather nasty spellcaster. Some of the enchantments you have access to
are quite good. (The Poison magic you have access to is quite good
also. My Venom Mage would love to have that book!!)

> should i wear the rings of intelligence and wizardry and light armour
> all the time, or just when practicing spells?

I hadn't noticed the RoWiz until now...
Equipped with your Ringmail, RoWiz, RoIce, SoEnchantment and the
spells Ensorcelled Hibernation & Enslavement you could be very
effective!
Once your Enchantment skill is up a bit, you could swap out the RoWiz
for something else.
(Wear the wizard's hat too.)

> speaking of practicing spells, i'm a bit paranoid about magical
> contamination from miscasting.

It leaches away. The best way to avoid it is to not practice with
heavy armor on and to wait until your skill is high enough for the
chance of casting to be "good" or better.

To practice Ensorcelled Hibernation (until you have Level 2 in Ice &
Enchantments) wear the Hat, RoWiz and RoInt+6 and the Staff of
Enchantments. After that: Hat, RoIce, SoEnchantment & RoInt+6. Once
you have level 4-5 in Ice & Enchantments you could remove the RoInt
and wear either the RoWiz, or whatever other cool ring you find.
August 19, 2004 11:45:39 AM

In article <73c2de9e.0408180600.61741e00@posting.google.com>, Dalton Wudrich wrote:
> ru <ru@no.spam.please.net> wrote in message news:<slrnci6c77.2rlp.ru@newred.gradwell.net>...

> But with a staff of enchantment & ring of ice you could become a
> rather nasty spellcaster. Some of the enchantments you have access to
> are quite good. (The Poison magic you have access to is quite good
> also. My Venom Mage would love to have that book!!)
>
>> should i wear the rings of intelligence and wizardry and light armour
>> all the time, or just when practicing spells?
>
> I hadn't noticed the RoWiz until now...
> Equipped with your Ringmail, RoWiz, RoIce, SoEnchantment and the
> spells Ensorcelled Hibernation & Enslavement you could be very
> effective!

the problem with going that route is that i want the ranged firepower,
and the only zappy spellbook i've got is the book of flames. so ice
isn't a great choice. if i had a book of ice zaps it would be all good,
but in previous games rings of ice & fire are fairly common, while
waiting for a specific book is a bit chancy..

--
ru
Related resources

ru <ru@no.spam.please.net> wrote in message news:<slrnci8ml3.30c9.ru@newred.gradwell.net>...
> In article <73c2de9e.0408180600.61741e00@posting.google.com>, Dalton Wudrich wrote:
> > I hadn't noticed the RoWiz until now...
> > Equipped with your Ringmail, RoWiz, RoIce, SoEnchantment and the
> > spells Ensorcelled Hibernation & Enslavement you could be very
> > effective!
>
> the problem with going that route is that i want the ranged firepower,

What I'm reading here is that you have decided to go with Fire Magic,
and are looking for help on how to do this. I misunderstood, and
suggested what I feel is the 'best' option given the equipment at you
disposal.

Fire Magic:
- Practice with the RoWiz & Intelligence bonus gear until Fire magic
is level 5+, then see what the miscast probabilities are with your
Platemail.

Enchantments/Cold Magic:
- Ranged options: 1) Enslavement! 2) Poison Ammunition & your Bow.
- HtH improvements with Ensorcelled Hibernation.
August 19, 2004 10:44:49 PM

In article <73c2de9e.0408191012.18ab17f@posting.google.com>, Dalton Wudrich wrote:
> ru <ru@no.spam.please.net> wrote in message news:<slrnci8ml3.30c9.ru@newred.gradwell.net>...
>> In article <73c2de9e.0408180600.61741e00@posting.google.com>, Dalton Wudrich wrote:
>> > I hadn't noticed the RoWiz until now...
>> > Equipped with your Ringmail, RoWiz, RoIce, SoEnchantment and the
>> > spells Ensorcelled Hibernation & Enslavement you could be very
>> > effective!
>>
>> the problem with going that route is that i want the ranged firepower,
>
> What I'm reading here is that you have decided to go with Fire Magic,
> and are looking for help on how to do this. I misunderstood, and
> suggested what I feel is the 'best' option given the equipment at you
> disposal.

and you were right, too, 'cos guess what i found? a book of frost. so i
could have been flinging around ice bolts /and/ used hibernation. oh
well.

on the bright side, i found another RoWiz, and am happily running around
the lair blasting yaks with sticky flame instead before slicing them out of
their misery, but only in ring mail.

two more levels of lair to go, but no sign of poison resistance yet..

--
ru
August 21, 2004 9:25:47 PM

i've cleared out the lair, but i don't know where to go next; i've got
no poison resistance, and i don't feel ready to take on the slime pit or
the elven halls.

-------------------------

Dungeon Crawl version 4.0.0 beta 26 character file.

scary the Slicer (Demonspawn)
(Level 13 Chaos Knight)

Play time: 05:08:34 Number of turns: 25948

Experience : 13/49144
Strength 16 Dexterity 16 Intelligence 12
Hit Points : 110 Magic Points : 25
AC : 19 Evasion : 11 Shield : 0
GP : 2168

You are in the Lair.
You worship Xom.
You are not hungry.

Inventory:
Hand weapons
a - a +2,+1 double sword of slicing (weapon)
Armour
v - a +2 helmet of see invisible (worn)
K - the +2 ring mail "Odyw" (worn)
It protects you from fire.
S - a +2 cloak of preservation (worn)
U - the +1 pair of boots "J Cywim X" (worn)
It greatly protects you from fire.
Magical devices
//there are a few more at my stash
b - a wand of lightning
e - a wand of teleportation
f - a wand of frost (22)
r - a wand of draining
s - a wand of fire
w - a wand of paralysis (9)
A - a wand of draining
D - a wand of draining
G - a wand of digging
I - a wand of enslavement (9)
Comestibles
c - 2 bread rations
o - 2 meat rations
H - 4 chunks of sheep flesh
M - a lemon
//lamb in lemon dressing. tasty ;-)
P - a chunk of giant lizard flesh
Scrolls
//curiously few enchant scrolls. had one scroll of aquirement, but it
//was anticlimactic
g - 2 scrolls of identify
h - a scroll of fear
j - 2 scrolls of detect curse
x - a scroll of blinking
y - 2 scrolls of teleportation
C - a scroll of recharging
Q - a scroll of remove curse
Jewellery
k - a ring of wizardry (left hand)
l - a +4 ring of protection
t - an amulet of rage (around neck)
J - a ring of protection from cold
O - an uncursed ring of wizardry (right hand)
Potions
d - 4 potions of restore abilities
m - a potion of invisibility
n - 2 potions of berserk rage
p - a potion of healing
u - a potion of porridge
z - 4 potions of might
B - 2 potions of speed
V - 4 potions of heal wounds
Books
//more books at the stash.
i - a book of Charms
E - a book of Flames
//more fire spells!
N - a book of the Sky
//deflect missiles

You have 122 experience left.

Skills:
+ Level 10 Fighting
- Level 4 Short Blades
- Level 13 Long Blades
//turned off to save xp for spellcasting
- Level 3 Bows
- Level 3 Darts
- Level 2 Throwing
+ Level 8 Armour
//rar.
+ Level 1 Dodging
+ Level 1 Stabbing
+ Level 4 Traps & Doors
+ Level 6 Spellcasting
+ Level 8 Conjurations
+ Level 5 Enchantments
//i've been remiss in practicing enchantments, but silence doesn't come
//into its own until the halls
+ Level 8 Fire Magic
+ Level 1 Air Magic
+ Level 2 Evocations

You have 2 spell levels left.
You know the following spells:

Your Spells Type Success Level
a - Corona Enchantment Great 1
b - Flame Tongue Fire/Conjuration Excellent 1
c - Repel Missiles Air/Enchantment Very Good 2
d - Silence Air/Enchantment Very Good 3
e - Throw Flame Fire/Conjuration Great 2
f - Sticky Flame Fire/Conjuration Very Good 4
//great spell, for killing fleeing yaks or weakening black snakes.
g - Conjure Flame Fire/Conjuration Great 3
h - Fireball Fire/Conjuration Poor 6

Mutations & Other Weirdness
//no new ones. Xom's berserking me a lot, but mainly leaving me alone
You are surrounded by a mild repulsion field (ev + 1).
* You can spit poison.
* You are immune to negative energy.
* You are mostly covered in white scales (AC + 3).

--
ru
Anonymous
August 23, 2004 11:56:29 AM

ru <ru@no.spam.please.net> wrote in message news:<slrncif1cr.229e.ru@newred.gradwell.net>...
> i've cleared out the lair, but i don't know where to go next; i've got
> no poison resistance, and i don't feel ready to take on the slime pit or
> the elven halls.

You are buff enough to go into either the Halls or Lair.
- In the Lair, you would have to be a bit carefull to always be able
to flee and recover from poisoning. With 110HP dying of poison is
unlikely; you just have to pretend you have 30 less HP. Most poison
will not inflict >30 points before wearing off.
- The Halls will be fairly easy, with you assortment of Fire magic &
Silence (for when facing a group of nasty spellcasters).

-Dalton
!