Sign in with
Your question

Can windows 7 be move to my new motherboard?

Last response: in Windows 7
January 8, 2013 3:55:16 PM

Hi guys so i have just made some changes to my pc and have a new MOBO, will i be able to still use the windows 7 on my harddrive, i dont care if i lose allmy data, however the motheroard it came from was a packard bell manufactured one whereas this is a ASUS M5A78L-M LX MOBO? Any ideas on how i can do this? Like choose boot driver as my hard drive and then do a system restore or whatever?
a b V Motherboard
January 8, 2013 4:01:03 PM

Sorry but since it was an OEM computer before you need to buy a new OS.
a b $ Windows 7
a b V Motherboard
January 8, 2013 4:01:26 PM

No. It's an OEM version(Packard Bell), and the license can't be transferred. You will need to buy a new license.
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
a b V Motherboard
January 8, 2013 4:01:43 PM

well with hardware changes such as a different motherboard your old motherboard drivers will conflict when trying to boot up using the new mobo. you can try booting in safe mode so minimum drivers will be loaded to backup your data but you should still re install your win7 so you wont get driver conflicts
a b $ Windows 7
a b V Motherboard
January 8, 2013 4:12:03 PM

OEM versions of Windows 7 are identical to Full License Retail versions except for the following:

- OEM versions do not offer any free Microsoft direct support from Microsoft support personnel

- OEM licenses are tied to the very first computer you install and activate it on

- OEM versions allow all hardware upgrades except for an upgrade to a different model motherboard

- OEM versions cannot be used to directly upgrade from an older Windows operating system

Microsoft.com ^
January 8, 2013 5:08:10 PM

Okay thanks alot for your help guys :) 
!