Easy roguelikes?

I have been playing roguelikes like ADOM, Nethack etc off and on for the
past few years. What I want to play is an easy, laidback game. I can deal
with permadeath, but I want a game that you can just wander around, level up
a lot, get new equipment, etc, but not have to worry a lot about instant
death attacks etc.Are there any like this?

"Jim Ward" <aaaa> wrote in message
> I have been playing roguelikes like ADOM, Nethack etc off and on for the
> past few years. What I want to play is an easy, laidback game. I can deal
> with permadeath, but I want a game that you can just wander around, level
up
> a lot, get new equipment, etc, but not have to worry a lot about instant
> death attacks etc.Are there any like this?

Have you tried HA!?

--
HA! - www.heroicadventure.com
Blog - www.mystictriad.com/dev

Quod me nutrit me destruit
(What nourishes me, also destroys me)

"Jim Ward" <aaaa> wrote in message
> I have been playing roguelikes like ADOM, Nethack etc off and on for the
> past few years. What I want to play is an easy, laidback game. I can deal
> with permadeath, but I want a game that you can just wander around, level
up
> a lot, get new equipment, etc, but not have to worry a lot about instant
> death attacks etc.Are there any like this?

The first roguelike I played (back on my old Amiga 500) was one called Larn,
and looking back its probably one of the easier roguelikes around. IIRC,
each time you complete it, it increases in difficulty, a bit like Diablo.

I did a quick search on Google and I couldn't find a working download for
the original Larn, but you might want to look up ULarn (although I hear it
is a bit harder to win). Some good ULarn pages are here:

* http://www.cordier.com/ularn/
(Phil Cordier's page, original author of ULarn)

* http://www.users.bigpond.com/jolds/ularn.htm
(Julian's graphical ULarn page)

Maybe someone else can reply if they know of somewhere to acquire the
original Larn.

-ChrisA
Remove 'spam' from my email to reply

"Jim Ward" <aaaa> wrote in message
> I have been playing roguelikes like ADOM, Nethack etc off and on for the
> past few years. What I want to play is an easy, laidback game. I can deal
> with permadeath, but I want a game that you can just wander around, level
up
> a lot, get new equipment, etc, but not have to worry a lot about instant
> death attacks etc.Are there any like this?

Both Nethack and Adom are easy once you play them enough... By easy, I mean
that you can win about 1/5 games with the easiest race/class combo... I've
actually won with the last 2 Adom characters I rolled.

"Jim Ward" <aaaa> wrote in message
> I have been playing roguelikes like ADOM, Nethack etc off and on for the
> past few years. What I want to play is an easy, laidback game. I can deal
> with permadeath, but I want a game that you can just wander around, level
up
> a lot, get new equipment, etc, but not have to worry a lot about instant
> death attacks etc.Are there any like this?

Diablo (I/II)?

--
Glen
L:pyt E+++ T-- R+ P+++ D+ G+ F:*band !RL RLA-

"Glen Wheeler" <gew75@uow.edu.au> wrote in message

> "Jim Ward" <aaaa> wrote in message
> > I have been playing roguelikes like ADOM, Nethack etc off and on for the
> > past few years. What I want to play is an easy, laidback game. I can
deal
> > with permadeath, but I want a game that you can just wander around,
level
> up
> > a lot, get new equipment, etc, but not have to worry a lot about instant
> > death attacks etc.Are there any like this?
> >

> Diablo (I/II)?

Actually yeah, that's the kind of game I'm looking for.

<Jim Ward> barked:

> I have been playing roguelikes like ADOM, Nethack etc off and
> on for the past few years. What I want to play is an easy,
> laidback game. I can deal with permadeath, but I want a game
> that you can just wander around, level up a lot, get new
> equipment, etc, but not have to worry a lot about instant death
> attacks etc.Are there any like this?

You write you've played Nethack, which really is what you want. Once
you know what to watch out for it's easy. Instant death attacks (a
gnome with a wand of death early on) are really rather rare.

--
Tina the Spear-Bearer - the Champion of the Remorselessly Nameless Glitter

Gibbering Poster <a@a.com> roared:
> "Jim Ward" <aaaa> wrote

>> I have been playing roguelikes like ADOM, Nethack etc off and on
>> for the past few years. What I want to play is an easy, laidback
>> game. I can deal with permadeath, but I want a game that you can
>> just wander around, level up a lot, get new equipment, etc, but
>> not have to worry a lot about instant death attacks etc.Are there
>> any like this?

> Both Nethack and Adom are easy once you play them enough... By
> easy, I mean that you can win about 1/5 games with the easiest
> race/class combo...

Make that 1/1 with any race/class combo for Nethack. Don't know
about Adom.

> I've actually won with the last 2 Adom characters I rolled.

With 3.4.0 (when I last properly played Nethack ■), the last 8
games were 7 ascensions, and one very stupid death that could easily
have been avoided (if I'd been smarter). The dead one was the
supposedly easiest role, even. More detailed, that's my last 8
proper Nethack games:

Hea Gno Mal Neu Archie,ascended
Cav Dwa Mal Law Grinder,ascended
Ran Elf Mal Cha Shight,ascended
Sam Hum Mal Law Nikúya,ascended
Rog Hum Mal Cha Sneak,ascended
Wiz Hum Mal Cha Warlock,ascended
Val Dwa Fem Law Mythar,killed by a gas spore's explosion
Cav Gno Mal Neu Grimface,ascended

The other 4 3.4.0 characters (before these) had died of
demotivation; I got bored with the characters themselves fairly
quicky and got deliberately careless, suicide really. So I then
decided to try the roles I hadn't ascended before, which are the
first six you see here.

I've got another character (Hum Kni Fem Cha, Erika) parked
somewhere, bored with Gehennom and life in general. Thus (though
some of the gameplay/'rules' of Nethack got on my nerves, too) I'm
playing something else now.

■ I did get the chance to play online last year, but having
forgotten much by then, and with a different interface and view and
not being at home, it was rather newbie-ish. But all I'm saying is
that if you know the game it's easy, not that it is easy for newbies
(or bad memories).

--
Tina the Hawkeye - a Follower of the Reeling Neglectful Generator

When someone ask for an easy roguelike, it's obvious it's a person who has not even been close to winning a game like ADOM. I hate geeks that go "What ADOM is easy I win x out of x games!!1" ...and? You have spent alot of time, read resources, you know this game in and out and can use that in order to beat the game "easily". (one out of roughly five times you say)
That's the same as a gem-cutter going to a stranger on the street claiming cutting gems is easy.."once you learned how". Yes, everything in life works this way.
ADOM is NOT an easy roguelike. ADOM is very tough. (Although the best I've ever played)

Anyway, stop posting ****-replies in order to get to brag about your win-rate in roguelikes. It's clearly not what he asked for ;p