So, how's your project progressing?

So, even though this may get me kicked in the nuts a few times, I'll
send this collective query to all RÖ developers reading rgr.misc:

How's your project going ?

:)

"Olli "Shader" Juhala" <shaderNO@SPAMsurffi.net> wrote in message
> So, even though this may get me kicked in the nuts a few times, I'll
> send this collective query to all RÖ developers reading rgr.misc:
>
> How's your project going ?
>
> :)

Pretty good actually, thanks for asking. :) Development has been sporadic
at best over the last few weeks, but I've made some progress regardless.

I spent most of today converting HA! from the 1.1 .net framework to the new
and much better 2.0 framework. This allowed me to get rid of my dependancy
on ConsoleEx, among other things.

I have to say, the new Visual Studio 2005 (beta) is pretty sweet, and is a
bit pickier than VS 2003. That's a good thing though, as it's alerted me to
a few things I could have done better, and they are fixed now as a result.

S.

--
HA! - www.heroicadventure.com
Blog - www.mystictriad.com/dev

Quod me nutrit me destruit
(What nourishes me, also destroys me)

In article <412873b1$0$22075$4b86bf46@news.surffi.net>, "Olli
\"Shader\" Juhala" <shaderNO@SPAMsurffi.net> wrote:

> So, even though this may get me kicked in the nuts a few times, I'll
> send this collective query to all RÖ developers reading rgr.misc:
>
> How's your project going ?
>
> :)

Very well. Since arriving in AK, I have plenty of time on my hands. My
changelist can be viewed here -
http://angband.oook.cz/steamband/changelist.html and will probably have
a major release of Steamband 0.4.0 very soon, the first major revision
of Steamband. I'm going to release 0.3.8 soon (sept. 6) and the only
things that will change between that and 0.4.0 are bugfixing and
documentatoin (0.3.9) and then bugfixing (0.4.0)

I am aware that my version number thing is screwey if I'm calling this
the first major release. But what the hell; there's no acutual version
number enforcer running around.

I am excited because my game is strongly themed (Victorian/Steam/Pulp
age), and has a number of gameplay enhancing improvements over standard
Angband (which it is a variant of), including, but not limited too: A
wound point system alters the flow and feel of exploration, wound points
become a dungeon treck long resource that the player has to manage;
NPP/EY style quests (Kill x monsters on dl y); A book quest where a
player has to collect 'books' such as Alice in Wonderland, Dracula,
Journey to the Center of the Earth, and War of the Worlds, and return
them to a library for a skill point reward; A steamware system that
allows player chracters to spend money to 'research' certain
enhancements that can then be installed; The 4GAI by Bahman Rabii and
Leon Marrick, which changes the los code, add's multi-turn spell
effects, and allows additional monster brains and AI. (Br-a-a-a-a-ains!)

Oh. And a skill point system.

All to be included in the new release (0.3.8) on september first. Don't
download 0.3.7 - it lacks _many_ new features. Check out the changelist
for details.

-Campbell

- Join the steamband group by sending an email to
steamband-subscribe@Yahoogroups.com !
- Visit the Steamband web page, and follow the progress of Steam! (and
view my art!) http://angband.oook.cz/steamband/

"Olli "Shader" Juhala" <shaderNO@SPAMsurffi.net> escribió en el mensaje
> So, even though this may get me kicked in the nuts a few times, I'll
> send this collective query to all RÖ developers reading rgr.misc:
>
> How's your project going ?
>
> :)

It's going on great, after the meta-engine and engine test, the development
has been smooth. Yesterday I finished remaking the infinite Actors timeline
adding the possibility of pseudo AI modules for items and mapCells, as well
as abstract Actors to represent events. This will allow a lot of the fancy
things that I am planning in my design doc.

I am also designing the world generation algorithm using a number of
fractals to simulate geological, temperature and rainfall conditions.

I also finished the character generation routine based in interests and
cultural posibilities.

By the time being, there's full walk in the map and evil-stupid beings
interacting, as well as messages and rudimentary combat. The possibilities
are wide open for more complicated interactions to be done, as the
Action-Effect approach has been kept and special cases are controlled.

--
SZDev - Slash
Slashing, the Outcast Dragon of the -={UDIC}=-