Sign in with
Your question

Multipurpose Laptop + SB Question

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
December 27, 2010 3:40:33 AM

Hi guys, I've tried searching around the forums but I don't think I've found anything that's completely relevant to what I'm trying to ask. I know that Intel is releasing their Sandy Bridge platform in January, which should lower the prices of the current generation processors. However, what I'm wondering is if I should hold out on buying a laptop until after January in order to get the best price, or that I should jump on the current holiday-season deals instead.

What I'm trying to get is a 14-15.6 inch multipurpose laptop with a good processor and decent gpu from ~$600-$900. 3+ hours of battery life would definitely be a huge plus.

What I'm looking at currently are these:

Toshiba L655-S5114:
Newegg L655 Link

Specs:
i5-460M
4GB DDR3
500GB HDD
ATI 5650 HD
$799.99

Lenovo Ideapad Y560:
Lenovo Ideapad Y560 Link

Specs:
i5-460M
4GB DDR3
500GB HDD
ATI 5730 HD
$749.00 (With current holiday e-coupon)

Are there any other suggestions for other laptops in this price range? Or should I stop being so eager and impatient and wait for the Sandy Bridge mobile processors to drop?
December 27, 2010 7:05:41 AM

The Lenovo looks like a really good deal. If you need a laptop now, definitely jump on it. If not, I don't think it'd really hurt to wait.

Another laptop that you might want to look at is the Acer 4820TG. The -3195 model basically has the same specs and price as the Toshiba you listed, but with a claimed 8-hour battery life. Actual battery life may be 6-7 hours of light usage, but that's still impressive. The only problem is availability.
December 27, 2010 7:16:46 AM

blackjellognomes said:
The Lenovo looks like a really good deal. If you need a laptop now, definitely jump on it. If not, I don't think it'd really hurt to wait.

Another laptop that you might want to look at is the Acer 4820TG. The -3195 model basically has the same specs and price as the Toshiba you listed, but with a claimed 8-hour battery life. Actual battery life may be 6-7 hours of light usage, but that's still impressive. The only problem is availability.

Wow that laptop looks amazing, it basically meets all of my requirements, plus the battery life!

How does a laptop like that get 8 hours of battery life while the others I have been looking at claim 3~4 max...

Is there any other comparable laptop like this one with similar battery life and dedicated gpu + 14" screen?

Final question, I saw that laptop on sale at Amazon for $799, do you think it will drop once CES2011 is over? Or do you think it might take a little while, I'm looking to buy a laptop in the next month or so.
!