Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Microsoft optical mouse and keyboard not working together

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
July 27, 2012 6:35:29 PM

I have a Microsoft entry level wheel mouse optical and an old IBM keyboard. They seem to both work for maybe a few minutes then the mouse starts flashing and freezes while the sound of the device being unplugged and plugged back in starts. Then the keyboard stops working with the mouse still flashing but not working too. The keyboard works fine with my old Dell ball mouse. I tried trouble shooting both devices, uninstalling and reinstalling both drivers but it doesn't fix the problem. I don't know what else to do, thanks.
July 30, 2012 1:33:58 PM

are you using usb ports or ps/2 ports? natively or via an adapter. is the old ibm keyboard one of the ancient model m styles or normal keyboard? does the new mouse work with another keyboard?

all things we need to know.
m
l
July 30, 2012 5:35:48 PM

I'm using USB ports, natively, the model number of the IBM keyboard is SK-8806. My friend gave me the mouse and he said it worked with his laptop.
m
l
Related resources
July 30, 2012 5:39:20 PM

I tried plugging the mouse into the keyboard and they both worked all day yesterday. Turned on the computer and still worked then after an hour both stop working with the mouse only flashing a tiny bit of light this time. Before they stopped working, the mouse pointer would pause when I'm moving my mouse then resume.
m
l
July 30, 2012 7:04:59 PM

I tried plugging the mouse into the keyboard...

does it work if you plug into the back of the pc instead?

try using a usb to ps/2 adapter if you are using a desktop computer.
m
l
July 30, 2012 7:10:25 PM

I plugged the mouse into the computer and it is working for now but I don't know how long it will last until both the keyboard and mouse stop working. I tried using keyboards that have ps/2 cords and plugged them in but they're not working on my computer. They do work on my older computer.
m
l
July 30, 2012 7:25:37 PM

Now it's saying that the mouse malfunctioned and has error code 43.
m
l

Best solution

July 31, 2012 11:39:40 AM

you are using microsoft windows and not some other operating system?

if yes, keyboards and mice are typically plug and play and should work without much issue. in some cases you might need to restart the computer for them to be recognized.

see if a shutdown/restart helps. ps/2 keyboards might not be recognized if you plug them in while it is on. mine never are.

if you continue to have problems i would say that it is either a software or hardware problem on your computer. i highly doubt that so many mice would not work.

unfortunately there are quite a large number of things it could be. malware, virus, trojans, bad drivers, bad windows install, driver conflicts, bad wiring on the usb or ps/2 ports, other faulty hardware. i've seen quite a number of strange issues come up with the oddest cause.

personally if it was my computer i would start over at square zero with a fresh install and go from there. obviously there must be a problem somewhere and a fresh install gets rid of many variables. unfortunately this means reinstalling all of your software and drivers and setting the pc up again.

your choice. i've ran through everything i can think of offhand but you seem to have some varied issues.
!