Fuzzy/static/grainy screen while 3d gaming

tech_noob123

Honorable
Jul 19, 2012
hi, i've been experiencing horrible quality on my monitor while gaming. It looks grainy on darker areas and fuzzy/staticy also in darker areas. I've been trying to solve this for 2 weeks and it has been driving me insane. I have a radeon 7850 video card, my computer isn't over heating. The monitor I have is a SyncMaster S20B300 Samsung. I am using a DVI to connect my monitor. It was recently bought 2/3 weeks ago.

If you need anymore informations please reply. Thanks!

tech_noob123

Honorable
Jul 19, 2012

Hey, I tried calibrating with that link you gave me. I tried my best to get the picture to look like what it's suppose to look like.
Also my monitor has a brightness scale not gamma not sure if they're different.

Also I still notice the fuzzyness in my games. It doesn't look like it's blurry but more static.

Gamma is quite different from brightness, and normally set on the PC side in the video card settings (Catalyst Control Center for ATI/AMD cards). I was talking about calibrating the sharpness setting in the menu. You might need to turn off some of the "magic" settings to be able to change it. However, I'm not sure what you mean by static here. Is it like the temporal dithering image at the bottom of Lagom's Black level page? If not, do you have a way to record video of it so I can understand what you're talking about?

tech_noob123

Honorable
Jul 19, 2012

There is a sharpness setting on my monitor(didn't adjust it in catalyst control center) and it was already set on the best possible setting. The picture on lagom's page where it shows what it should look like wasn't possible on my monitor(I think) so I just chose the best possible option.

The static problem I'm having is hard to describe, it's kind of like a bad quality picture on a TV when there is a storm outside.
It's kind of like a fuzzy/snowy type of picture but not as noticeable from far away, really when you look close. It bothers me alot and it makes the quality of the picture look bad. I tried to record a video but it wasn't really noticeable on a camera.

I don't know if this helped but i'll try to find a way so you can see what i'm talking about.

Edit: It's kind of like flickering SMALL dots

That sounds like the temporal dithering, which the monitor does because as a TN panel, it only supports 6 bits per color channel internally, and has to simulate the in-between colors. I presume you already made sure the system is set to 32-bit color, not just 16-bit. To get warranty support, I think you'd probably have to send a video that proves it's doing an extra-bad job of that. Otherwise, I can basically think of two options for you:
1. Play around with all the monitor settings, and see if you find some that make the flickering less obvious (sorry, no idea which settings would do this)
2. Replace the monitor with a true 8-bit monitor, which requires a VA panel or IPS (avoid cPVA and e-IPS, those have 6 bits per color channel like TN).

tech_noob123

Honorable
Jul 19, 2012

I'm not sure what you mean by dithering.
Is this what you mean http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6Xr9v-FfHY or http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TE8WTgMKVMk because that's not what my really what my monitor is doing and is not as noticeable

Yes my monitor is on true-color 32-bit color. Also how much would a true 8-bit monitor cost?

tech_noob123

Honorable
Jul 19, 2012

tech_noob123

Honorable
Jul 19, 2012

I was playing minecraft and I noticed the "fuzz". I was researching about people saying that their quality was "grainy" I didn't know what that mean but some people described it like my problem. Where it was kinda of wavy/blurry as if someone put butter on my screen.

I'll leave a pic/video tomorrow to see if we can fix it :)