Laptop Screen Hinge Too Loose

Ethan

My dell inspiron's screen won't quite stay upright. After too many
openings and closings, I get the feeling it's become a bit loose.
Unless it's within about 5 degrees of 90, the weight of the screen
will flop it open to 180 degrees.

I deinstalled the screen and took a look at the hinge pin to see if
there was a screw I could tighten but I see nothing of the sort.
Perhaps there is some "anti-lubricant" I can treat the hinge pin with
to hinder it's motion... add a bit of friction?

I see the end of the hinge pin is secured by a c-type washer. perhaps
if I could add a thicker washer there to increase the compression fit
(and thus add friction) to the joint, it would tighten up the
clamshell motion.

Anybody have any ideas? experience? input?

depends on the model (not stated). many can be easily tightened with just
the exposed screws on the back of the unit, others require the removal of
the hinge covers or back panel to tighten all the screws... and if you have
waited too long and some screws have gone missing then replacements can be
purchased. you can look up how your model is assembled by reading the
service manual found on support.dell.com.

"Ethan" <hupjack@excite.com> wrote in message
> My dell inspiron's screen won't quite stay upright. After too many
> openings and closings, I get the feeling it's become a bit loose.
> Unless it's within about 5 degrees of 90, the weight of the screen
> will flop it open to 180 degrees.
>
> I deinstalled the screen and took a look at the hinge pin to see if
> there was a screw I could tighten but I see nothing of the sort.
> Perhaps there is some "anti-lubricant" I can treat the hinge pin with
> to hinder it's motion... add a bit of friction?
>
> I see the end of the hinge pin is secured by a c-type washer. perhaps
> if I could add a thicker washer there to increase the compression fit
> (and thus add friction) to the joint, it would tighten up the
> clamshell motion.
>
> Anybody have any ideas? experience? input?

The model is an inspiron 4000.. I've already read through
http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/ins4000/en/sm_en/remove.htm#999202

perhaps this is a bad model for servicing this hinge? I don't see any screw
that would appear to have any effect on the hinge friction in question.
Follow up feedback is much appreciated!

> depends on the model (not stated). many can be easily tightened with
> just
> the exposed screws on the back of the unit, others require the removal of
> the hinge covers or back panel to tighten all the screws... and if you
> have
> waited too long and some screws have gone missing then replacements can be
> purchased. you can look up how your model is assembled by reading the
> service manual found on support.dell.com.
>
> "Ethan" <hupjack@excite.com> wrote in message
>> My dell inspiron's screen won't quite stay upright. After too many
>> openings and closings, I get the feeling it's become a bit loose.
>> Unless it's within about 5 degrees of 90, the weight of the screen
>> will flop it open to 180 degrees.
>>
>> I deinstalled the screen and took a look at the hinge pin to see if
>> there was a screw I could tighten but I see nothing of the sort.
>> Perhaps there is some "anti-lubricant" I can treat the hinge pin with
>> to hinder it's motion... add a bit of friction?
>>
>> I see the end of the hinge pin is secured by a c-type washer. perhaps
>> if I could add a thicker washer there to increase the compression fit
>> (and thus add friction) to the joint, it would tighten up the
>> clamshell motion.
>>
>> Anybody have any ideas? experience? input?

tighten the 5 screws labeled 'd' in the link that you provided. you will be
surprised at the effect they have on the operation of your hinge. do not
over tighten, but do make them secure. they were originally installed with
some sort of 'locktite' (name brand) adhesive which fails over time.
tightening the screws occasionally will solve the lose feeling hinge
problem. removing the screws and treating them with locktite before
reinserting them means not having to do it for a few years (but i doubt that
you will still be using the computer a few years from now).

"hupjack" <hupjack_nospamtoday_yahoo.com> wrote in message
> The model is an inspiron 4000.. I've already read through

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/ins4000/en/sm_en/remove.htm#999202

> perhaps this is a bad model for servicing this hinge? I don't see any
screw
> that would appear to have any effect on the hinge friction in question.
> Follow up feedback is much appreciated!
>

> "Christopher Muto" <muto@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
> > depends on the model (not stated). many can be easily tightened with
> > just
> > the exposed screws on the back of the unit, others require the removal
of
> > the hinge covers or back panel to tighten all the screws... and if you
> > have
> > waited too long and some screws have gone missing then replacements can
be
> > purchased. you can look up how your model is assembled by reading the
> > service manual found on support.dell.com.
> >
> > "Ethan" <hupjack@excite.com> wrote in message
> >> My dell inspiron's screen won't quite stay upright. After too many
> >> openings and closings, I get the feeling it's become a bit loose.
> >> Unless it's within about 5 degrees of 90, the weight of the screen
> >> will flop it open to 180 degrees.
> >>
> >> I deinstalled the screen and took a look at the hinge pin to see if
> >> there was a screw I could tighten but I see nothing of the sort.
> >> Perhaps there is some "anti-lubricant" I can treat the hinge pin with
> >> to hinder it's motion... add a bit of friction?
> >>
> >> I see the end of the hinge pin is secured by a c-type washer. perhaps
> >> if I could add a thicker washer there to increase the compression fit
> >> (and thus add friction) to the joint, it would tighten up the
> >> clamshell motion.
> >>
> >> Anybody have any ideas? experience? input?

I tightened those screws down as much as possible, and it didn't have any
effect. Those screws secure the posts that anchor the screen.. The hinge
pin is above those posts entirely and the looseness in the above hinge
appears to independent of how well the posts are pinned.

I'm still hopeful for some sort of "anti-lube" treatment to add some
friction to this joint. Any such product exist?

> tighten the 5 screws labeled 'd' in the link that you provided. you will
> be
> surprised at the effect they have on the operation of your hinge. do not
> over tighten, but do make them secure. they were originally installed
> with
> some sort of 'locktite' (name brand) adhesive which fails over time.
> tightening the screws occasionally will solve the lose feeling hinge
> problem. removing the screws and treating them with locktite before
> reinserting them means not having to do it for a few years (but i doubt
> that
> you will still be using the computer a few years from now).

then the issue is the hinge itself. i am not certain if this is a separate
part or if you must obtain the entire "display assembly top cover" (as
detailed in the diagrams) which has the hinges installed. call dell tech
support for the part number and ask them for a phone number where you can
buy it.

> I tightened those screws down as much as possible, and it didn't have any
> effect. Those screws secure the posts that anchor the screen.. The hinge
> pin is above those posts entirely and the looseness in the above hinge
> appears to independent of how well the posts are pinned.
>
> I'm still hopeful for some sort of "anti-lube" treatment to add some
> friction to this joint. Any such product exist?
>

> > tighten the 5 screws labeled 'd' in the link that you provided. you
will
> > be
> > surprised at the effect they have on the operation of your hinge. do
not
> > over tighten, but do make them secure. they were originally installed
> > with
> > some sort of 'locktite' (name brand) adhesive which fails over time.
> > tightening the screws occasionally will solve the lose feeling hinge
> > problem. removing the screws and treating them with locktite before
> > reinserting them means not having to do it for a few years (but i doubt
> > that
> > you will still be using the computer a few years from now).

here's an example of the hinge... the latitude c600 is the same unit as the
inspiron 4000. your hinge is specific to the screen type (size and
resolution, so call dell tech support for the correct replacement part
number. but this is a good image to help you understand what it is that you
have to replace... and by no means of an endorsement of the seller...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=31534&item=6700102926&rd=1