spellcaster and shield

Last response: in Video Games
September 2, 2004 5:56:38 AM

Okay, i've got both a staff of power and a staff of cold. Wield the SOP
until nasties arrive, caste haste/armor and then swap to SOC for ice
bolt/bolt of cold. Along with the ring of ice it's made me rather deadly.
Once I hit 0 mp, wield mace of brilliance and wear shield, then RLH until mp
returns.

How much damage does ice bolt do when monster partially resists? And why
does it work better for resistant monsters than bolt of cold which costs
more manna? Of course, bolt of cold can hit multiple monsters which is
really really nice when they line up like cattle in a chute. Gotta love
hallways!

Is there a good spoiler for where the runes are? I haven't actually found
one yet.... BTW what symbol should I be looking for? And what is the
"easiest" location to find one?

Thanks,

Cecil

More about : spellcaster shield

Anonymous
September 2, 2004 9:37:30 AM

"Cecil H. Whitley" <c-do-not-spam-me.whitley@earthlink.net> wrote:

> Okay, i've got both a staff of power and a staff of cold. Wield
> the SOP until nasties arrive, caste haste/armor and then swap to
> SOC for ice bolt/bolt of cold. Along with the ring of ice it's
> made me rather deadly.

I'd rather wield the staff of cold all the time, because I hate
swapping weapons in the middle of a brawl. As an added advantage,
it'll make you watch your magic points more carefully than if you're
wielding the staff of power, and that's important if you want your
spellcasters to survive.

> Once I hit 0 mp, wield mace of brilliance and wear shield, then
> RLH until mp returns.

I'd suggest running away before you hit 0mp. I usually start
scampering away if I've less than half my magic points.

> How much damage does ice bolt do when monster partially resists?
> And why does it work better for resistant monsters than bolt of
> cold which costs more manna?

Reading the spell descriptions might help answer the why. The
detailed spell spoilers out there should help you calculate the
damage.

> Is there a good spoiler for where the runes are?

If you haven't found Mark Mackey's AADC yet, here's where to go:

http://www.swallowtail.org/crawl/index.shtml

The guide to dungeon branches answers this question.

> And what is the "easiest" location to find one?

The Snake Pit rune is, IME, the easiest to get, and the next in
order are prolly the Swamp and the Vault runes.

Darshan
Anonymous
September 2, 2004 11:31:00 AM

Cecil H. Whitley <c-do-not-spam-me.whitley@earthlink.net> bellowed:

> Okay, i've got both a staff of power and a staff of cold. Wield
> the SOP until nasties arrive, caste haste/armor and then swap to
> SOC for ice bolt/bolt of cold. Along with the ring of ice it's
> made me rather deadly. Once I hit 0 mp, wield mace of brilliance
> and wear shield, then RLH until mp returns.

:)  Isn't that a bit late to run, though? Don't you save a few mana
points incase you have to use some mana for emergency measures?

Does swapping stuff not hold you up?

> How much damage does ice bolt do when monster partially resists?
> And why does it work better for resistant monsters than bolt of
> cold which costs more manna?

Have you read the description of the spell? (Read the book, then
chose the spell you want to read the description of.)

Ice Bolt
*Conjuration/Ice* Level: 4
This spell throws forth a chunk of ice. It is particularly effective
against those creatures not immune to the effects of freezing, but the
half of its destructive potential that comes from its weight and cutting
edges cannot be ignored by even cold-resistant creatures.

> Is there a good spoiler for where the runes are?

Don't know, but I posted something along that line not too long ago
(updated now, as I forgt one branch):

There are plenty of different runes, found normally on the bottom
level of a branch. The most common set is decaying, serpentine and
silver rune, I think, but you can use any three to enter Zot.

If the dungeon was a directory structure, you could find them like:

Main Dungeon\Ecumenical Temple: <no rune>

Main Dungeon\Orcish Mines: <no rune>
Main Dungeon\Orcish Mines\Elven Halls: <no rune>

Main Dungeon\Lair\Swamp: decaying rune
Main Dungeon\Lair\Slime Pits: slimey rune (not in every game)
Main Dungeon\Lair\Snake Pit: serpentine rune

Main Dungeon\Hive: <no rune>

Main Dungeon\Vaults: silver rune
Main Dungeon\Vaults\Crypt: <no rune>
Main Dungeon\Vaults\Crypt\Tomb: golden rune

Main Dungeon\Hell\Cocytus: icy rune
Main Dungeon\Hell\Tartarus: bone rune
Main Dungeon\Hell\Gehenna: firy(?) rune
Main Dungeon\Hell\Dis: <some other> rune

Main Dungeon\Pandemonium: <various> runes

  • Main Dungeon\Abyss: abyssal runes(?) [+]

    Anywhere\Labyrinth: <no rune>

  • The order of the levels in Pandemonium is random, some of them
    have a specific rune.

    [+] Not sure whether there is more than one abyssal rune.

    I don't know what they're all called because I haven't seen them all
    yet. (I'd like the holes filled in by someone who knows the rest.)

    > I haven't actually found one yet.... BTW what symbol should I be
    > looking for?

    That for those 'Miscelaneous' items, like the nondescript stones,
    lamps, laterns, discs, fans, decks of cards and such stuff. (Either
    { or }, can't remember.)

    > And what is the "easiest" location to find one?

    Snake Pit (poison spitting, and even moderately proficiently
    spellcasting nagas) or Swamp (tedious environment, plus critters
    that breathe poisoning or confusing clouds at you, the latter is a
    bad thing when there's deep water around in which you could drown,
    but both can be evaded with poison resistance, the latter also with
    'clarity', hydras also seem to like to hang out in the Swamp).

    Next hardest is the Vaults (inhabited by pretty much everything
    you've met until then, including spellcasting elves, plus sphinxes
    and titans on the bottom, oh, and a horde of vault guards, also on
    the bottom).

    After that it gets really difficult, or at least specialized; you'd
    need at least double cold resistance in the Slime Pits, as well as
    corrosion resistance, if you want that trip to be anything but
    something between frustrating and pretty much deadly.

    Hell does random bad things to you (literally), the Tomb is full of
    mummies (not only the plain types, but plently of big bad nasty
    mummies with mean spells), the Abyss has no immediate exit and no
    certain place to go for a rune (is also not mappable), Pandemonium
    has an even far less immediate exit than the Abyss (you're very
    lucky if you find one, I've been told that it's easier to find a
    gate to the Abyss and take that to get out of Pandemonium), and you
    visit the levels in a random order without the possibility to
    retreat 'back up the stairs'...

    --
    Tina the Stickfighter - a Believer of the Ruthless Nice Gloom
    Related resources

    "Cecil H. Whitley" <c-do-not-spam-me.whitley@earthlink.net> wrote:
    >How much damage does ice bolt do when monster partially resists? And why
    >does it work better for resistant monsters than bolt of cold which costs
    >more manna? Of course, bolt of cold can hit multiple monsters which is
    >really really nice when they line up like cattle in a chute.

    You answer your own question. Bolt of cold is, against non-resistant
    monsters, *vastly* superior to ice bolt, because if you manoeuvre things
    right you can whack half a dozen monsters with a single shot. Hence it
    is higher level, even though ice bolt is superior against cold-resistant
    monsters because it does physical damage as well as cold damage.
    September 2, 2004 4:51:23 PM

    Cecil H. Whitley .-- .-. --- - . ---...

    > Once I hit 0 mp, wield mace of brilliance and wear shield, then RLH until mp
    > returns.

    This technique is valid with monsters that are not very dangerous for you
    in melee, but there will be stronger ones - let's hope you will be vigilant
    enough. ;-)

    > How much damage does ice bolt do when monster partially resists?

    50%

    > And why does it work better for resistant monsters than bolt of cold which costs
    > more manna?

    'cause it's composed of ice that have both mass and low temperature. So
    when the monster is not afraid of cold then always the mass will work,
    while bolt of cold is composed of nothing but low temperature, that somehow
    travels through the universe in a direction specified by caster (BTW I'm
    very curious how all the spell phenomena could be explained by physics).

    --
    Loonie
    ---------------------------------------

    Loonie <loonie2@tlen.pl> barked:

    > (BTW I'm very curious how all the spell phenomena could be
    > explained by physics).

    "It's simulated." Ehm. Sorry. (That's actually what I wouldn't buy.)

    Come over to rec.arts.sf.written, where something like this is
    discussed at the moment... Started with something about a 'Fantasy
    Singularity', and what happens if you put a magic word into a
    computer.

    Your question looks a lot like an extension to where the thread
    went. (And sounds more interesting than the explanations for the
    magic words stuff...)

    --
    Tina the Thrower - the Champion of the Respectable Notable Gnome
    Anonymous

    In article <17lvn5b70odyk.dlg@Loonie.pl.fr>, Loonie <loonie2@tlen.pl> wrote:
    // BTW I'm very curious how all the spell phenomena could be explained by
    // physics.

    It's magic. As such, it might not be explainable at all with the current
    paradigm. For example, fire bolts make "sense" in reality because the
    scientific paradigm accepts energy (flame in this case) as something
    that exists, the concept of "cold" is merely a lack of it (absolute
    zero being a complete lack). For magic, however, elemental cold can
    also exist... it's not the lack of heat, but a generated "cold energy"
    (and there isn't an absolute zero in the same sense... temperture can
    go down as far as it can go up you just need to add more cold/heat).
    Similarly, elemental magic can allow for dark bulbs that radiate darkness
    and drive the ambient light from the room... so it's not a matter of
    explaining it with physics as we know it, but in figuring out what the
    rules and axioms of the underlying parascience are.

    Brent ROss
    !