Best hard drive

The Maxtor hard drive on my 3 year old P4 Dimesion has packed up. Anyone
have an opinion on hard drive replacement?

This one took my eye:

120GB 7200 IDE HDD

This 120Gb high speed ATA 100 IDE hard drive is compatible with ATA-66 and
ATA-33 controllers and offers high speed hard drive access. Ideal for PC
users who work with large files such as video or MP3 processing. In Windows
PCs a faster hard drive can not only improve the time taken to boot up but
also improve the speed of any virtual memory your system is using too.

· High 7200rpm spin speed
· Ideal for video editing
· Wide range of capacities available
· Available in capacities from 40GB to 120GB
· High speed ATA-100 interface
<<<<<

Will this do and is this a good make?

Also if I buy two of these which is the best way of using one for backup?

TIA
17 answers Last reply
More about best hard drive

    The folks at Anand Tech liked this one

    Recommendation: Seagate 120GB 7200RPM (8MB cache) ATA
    Price: $85 shipped

    This is from their mid-range buyers guide, click
    http://www.anandtech.com/guides/showdoc.aspx?i=2122&p=7

    They also have a high end buyers guide if you are looking for
    something faster or with more storage space.

    With regard to buying 2 hard drives and using 1 to backup the other, I
    had a friend do that and he set up the second drive to mirror the
    first one. He says that works well, but I don't know how to set that
    up.

    Daniel

    "Scribe" <Scribe@NOSPAMMnoemail.com> wrote in message
    > The Maxtor hard drive on my 3 year old P4 Dimesion has packed up. Anyone
    > have an opinion on hard drive replacement?
    >
    > This one took my eye:
    >

    > 120GB 7200 IDE HDD
    >
    > This 120Gb high speed ATA 100 IDE hard drive is compatible with ATA-66 and
    > ATA-33 controllers and offers high speed hard drive access. Ideal for PC
    > users who work with large files such as video or MP3 processing. In
    Windows
    > PCs a faster hard drive can not only improve the time taken to boot up but
    > also improve the speed of any virtual memory your system is using too.
    >
    > · High 7200rpm spin speed
    > · Ideal for video editing
    > · Wide range of capacities available
    > · Available in capacities from 40GB to 120GB
    > · High speed ATA-100 interface
    > <<<<<
    >
    > Will this do and is this a good make?
    >
    > Also if I buy two of these which is the best way of using one for backup?
    >
    > TIA

    Sorry, the make is: Hitachi - PN : 07N9214

    > "Scribe" <Scribe@NOSPAMMnoemail.com> wrote in message
    >> The Maxtor hard drive on my 3 year old P4 Dimesion has packed up. Anyone
    >> have an opinion on hard drive replacement?
    >>
    >> This one took my eye:
    >>

    >> 120GB 7200 IDE HDD
    >>
    >> This 120Gb high speed ATA 100 IDE hard drive is compatible with ATA-66
    >> and
    >> ATA-33 controllers and offers high speed hard drive access. Ideal for PC
    >> users who work with large files such as video or MP3 processing. In
    > Windows
    >> PCs a faster hard drive can not only improve the time taken to boot up
    >> but
    >> also improve the speed of any virtual memory your system is using too.
    >>
    >> · High 7200rpm spin speed
    >> · Ideal for video editing
    >> · Wide range of capacities available
    >> · Available in capacities from 40GB to 120GB
    >> · High speed ATA-100 interface
    >> <<<<<
    >>
    >> Will this do and is this a good make?
    >>
    >> Also if I buy two of these which is the best way of using one for backup?
    >>
    >> TIA
    >
    > Sorry, the make is: Hitachi - PN : 07N9214

    If I may respectfully say so, shop prices and see if you can pick up a
    Seagate instead, mainly due reliability concerns.

    WD would be my second choice, and Maxtor third.

    Stew

    Hitachi bought out IBM's hard drive unit. I have an Hitachi SATA hard drive
    and I like it. It is highly rated.

    Here is a review:
    http://www.storagereview.com/articles/200310/20031007HDS722525VLSA80_1.html

    > Hitachi bought out IBM's hard drive unit. I have an Hitachi SATA hard
    drive
    > and I like it. It is highly rated.
    >
    > Here is a review:

    http://www.storagereview.com/articles/200310/20031007HDS722525VLSA80_1.html

    Anyone have any opinions on Samsung hard drives?

    I'm not in love with Samsung drives, having had some terrible experiences with
    them in the past. Samsung also owns Maxtor, which also includes the Quantum
    brand. No telling what the long-term quality of any of these brands will be.
    But, then, every drive manufacturer is building them cheaper and cheaper and
    faster and faster... Ben Myers

    On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 15:16:01 +0100, "Scribe" <Scribe@NOSPAMMnoemail.com> wrote:

    >"WSZsr" <nospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >
    >> Hitachi bought out IBM's hard drive unit. I have an Hitachi SATA hard
    >drive
    >> and I like it. It is highly rated.
    >>
    >> Here is a review:
    >>
    >http://www.storagereview.com/articles/200310/20031007HDS722525VLSA80_1.html
    >
    >Anyone have any opinions on Samsung hard drives?

    Where did you see the Samsung connection to Maxtor?

    Hyundai Electronics bought majority ownership of Maxtor when it was ailing -
    but then spun the company off again before Maxtor bought Quantum.

    It is true that Maxtor has had reliability problems of late - they lost a
    major contract with Dell, which significantly hurt their bottom line and has
    forced them to requalify as a Dell supplier - but it is not part of Samsung.

    As for Samsung's own drives, they're quite good now - and well supported
    with a 3-year warranty (beaten only by Seagate's new 5-year warranty on all
    drives).

    I'd look at Seagate and WD first, though Samsung is a good choice as well -
    and Hitachi, which seems to have redeemed some of the lost luster of IBM.
    I'd rank Maxtor a distant choice in reliabilty for the moment, though of
    course that can change.

    > I'm not in love with Samsung drives, having had some terrible experiences
    with
    > them in the past. Samsung also owns Maxtor, which also includes the
    Quantum
    > brand. No telling what the long-term quality of any of these brands will
    be.
    > But, then, every drive manufacturer is building them cheaper and cheaper
    and
    > faster and faster... Ben Myers

    FWIW: I had to replace two different Western Digital drives under warranty -
    one of them was replaced twice. With one of the drives I wasn't even sure if
    there was a problem, but Western Digital's attitude appears to be "Here's
    your RMA, goodbye."

    Finally I got fed up and bought a Seagate drive. It's rock solid reliable
    and virtually silent. It's a Lexus.

    Ted Zieglar
    formerly "Rocket J. Squirrel"

    > "Scribe" <Scribe@NOSPAMMnoemail.com> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Scribe" <Scribe@NOSPAMMnoemail.com> wrote in message
    > >> The Maxtor hard drive on my 3 year old P4 Dimesion has packed up.
    Anyone
    > >> have an opinion on hard drive replacement?
    > >>
    > >> This one took my eye:
    > >>

    > >> 120GB 7200 IDE HDD
    > >>
    > >> This 120Gb high speed ATA 100 IDE hard drive is compatible with ATA-66
    > >> and
    > >> ATA-33 controllers and offers high speed hard drive access. Ideal for
    PC
    > >> users who work with large files such as video or MP3 processing. In
    > > Windows
    > >> PCs a faster hard drive can not only improve the time taken to boot up
    > >> but
    > >> also improve the speed of any virtual memory your system is using too.
    > >>
    > >> · High 7200rpm spin speed
    > >> · Ideal for video editing
    > >> · Wide range of capacities available
    > >> · Available in capacities from 40GB to 120GB
    > >> · High speed ATA-100 interface
    > >> <<<<<
    > >>
    > >> Will this do and is this a good make?
    > >>
    > >> Also if I buy two of these which is the best way of using one for
    backup?

    > >> TIA
    > >
    > > Sorry, the make is: Hitachi - PN : 07N9214
    >
    > If I may respectfully say so, shop prices and see if you can pick up a
    > Seagate instead, mainly due reliability concerns.
    >
    > WD would be my second choice, and Maxtor third.

    I have replaced three Maxtor's in three years in machine about 2.5 - 3 years
    old. I'll give them a miss. As it has been mentioned, Dell dropped them
    because they were so bad.

    > "S.Lewis" <stew1960@cover.bellsouth.net> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Scribe" <Scribe@NOSPAMMnoemail.com> wrote in message
    >> >
    >> > "Scribe" <Scribe@NOSPAMMnoemail.com> wrote in message
    > Anyone

    > PC
    >> > Windows

    > backup?

    >> > Sorry, the make is: Hitachi - PN : 07N9214
    >>
    >> If I may respectfully say so, shop prices and see if you can pick up a
    >> Seagate instead, mainly due reliability concerns.
    >>
    >> WD would be my second choice, and Maxtor third.
    >
    > I have replaced three Maxtor's in three years in machine about 2.5 - 3
    > years
    > old. I'll give them a miss. As it has been mentioned, Dell dropped them
    > because they were so bad.

    Yep. Maxtor used to be my brand of choice. No more. Until I can prove to
    myself that the Hitachi's have lost the IBM curse, I stand by my post.

    Stew

    Scribe wrote:
    > "S.Lewis" <stew1960@cover.bellsouth.net> wrote in message

    <snip>

    >>If I may respectfully say so, shop prices and see if you can pick up a
    >>Seagate instead, mainly due reliability concerns.
    >>
    >>WD would be my second choice, and Maxtor third.
    >
    > I have replaced three Maxtor's in three years in machine about 2.5 - 3 years
    > old. I'll give them a miss. As it has been mentioned, Dell dropped them
    > because they were so bad.

    Even with officially "bad" hardware it's still a hit or miss
    proposition, e.g., I've owned at least 4 IBM HDD's over the last 4 years
    and didn't hit the bad one. My last 3 HDD's have been Maxtor (2) &
    Seagate, all 200GB models - not a hint of trouble with any of them
    (other than Ghost can't clone to a Maxtor HDD in an external USB2 case).
    The Maxtors are model 6Y200P0.

    "Sparky" <nemo@moon.sun.edu> wrote in message
    > Scribe wrote:
    > > "S.Lewis" <stew1960@cover.bellsouth.net> wrote in message
    >
    > <snip>
    >
    > >>If I may respectfully say so, shop prices and see if you can pick up a
    > >>Seagate instead, mainly due reliability concerns.
    > >>
    > >>WD would be my second choice, and Maxtor third.
    > >
    > > I have replaced three Maxtor's in three years in machine about 2.5 - 3
    years
    > > old. I'll give them a miss. As it has been mentioned, Dell dropped them
    > > because they were so bad.
    >
    > Even with officially "bad" hardware it's still a hit or miss
    > proposition, e.g., I've owned at least 4 IBM HDD's over the last 4 years
    > and didn't hit the bad one. My last 3 HDD's have been Maxtor (2) &
    > Seagate, all 200GB models - not a hint of trouble with any of them
    > (other than Ghost can't clone to a Maxtor HDD in an external USB2 case).
    > The Maxtors are model 6Y200P0.

    ..
    Must be the case or configuration, as I have cloned to a Maxtor in a cheap
    USB2 case.

    Tom

    Tom Scales wrote:

    > "Sparky" <nemo@moon.sun.edu> wrote in message
    >
    >>Scribe wrote:
    >>
    >>>"S.Lewis" <stew1960@cover.bellsouth.net> wrote in message
    >>
    >><snip>

    >>>I have replaced three Maxtor's in three years in machine about 2.5 - 3
    >
    > years
    >
    >>>old. I'll give them a miss. As it has been mentioned, Dell dropped them
    >>>because they were so bad.
    >>
    >>Even with officially "bad" hardware it's still a hit or miss
    >>proposition, e.g., I've owned at least 4 IBM HDD's over the last 4 years
    >>and didn't hit the bad one. My last 3 HDD's have been Maxtor (2) &
    >>Seagate, all 200GB models - not a hint of trouble with any of them
    >>(other than Ghost can't clone to a Maxtor HDD in an external USB2 case).
    >>The Maxtors are model 6Y200P0.
    >
    > Must be the case or configuration, as I have cloned to a Maxtor in a cheap
    > USB2 case.

    Same model - this problem is in Symantec's KB. There fix didn't work, so
    I installed the 2nd Maxtor as my D: drive & use the former D: drive for
    external backups.

    Other drives work fine in the same case, BTW.

    Sparky wrote:
    > Tom Scales wrote:
    >
    >> "Sparky" <nemo@moon.sun.edu> wrote in message

    >>> <snip>

    >> years

    >>> Even with officially "bad" hardware it's still a hit or miss
    >>> proposition, e.g., I've owned at least 4 IBM HDD's over the last 4 years
    >>> and didn't hit the bad one. My last 3 HDD's have been Maxtor (2) &
    >>> Seagate, all 200GB models - not a hint of trouble with any of them
    >>> (other than Ghost can't clone to a Maxtor HDD in an external USB2 case).
    >>> The Maxtors are model 6Y200P0.
    >>

    >> Must be the case or configuration, as I have cloned to a Maxtor in a
    >> cheap
    >> USB2 case.
    >

    > Same model - this problem is in Symantec's KB. There fix didn't work, so
    > I installed the 2nd Maxtor as my D: drive & use the former D: drive for
    > external backups.
    >
    > Other drives work fine in the same case, BTW.

    That was supposed to be: "same model?"

    Not sure who the OP was but my new Dell 4600 has a Maxtor in it so safe to
    assume that Dell is playing nice again with Maxtor.

    Regards,
    John O.

    > "Scribe" <Scribe@NOSPAMMnoemail.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "S.Lewis" <stew1960@cover.bellsouth.net> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> "Scribe" <Scribe@NOSPAMMnoemail.com> wrote in message

    >> Anyone

    >> PC

    >> backup?

    >>> If I may respectfully say so, shop prices and see if you can pick up a
    >>> Seagate instead, mainly due reliability concerns.
    >>>
    >>> WD would be my second choice, and Maxtor third.
    >>
    >> I have replaced three Maxtor's in three years in machine about 2.5 - 3
    >> years
    >> old. I'll give them a miss. As it has been mentioned, Dell dropped them
    >> because they were so bad.
    >>

    > Yep. Maxtor used to be my brand of choice. No more. Until I can prove
    > to myself that the Hitachi's have lost the IBM curse, I stand by my post.
    >
    > Stew

    I have a 30 gig Samsung (don't have the model)in my Atlas MicroLogistics
    main desk unit. It runs quietly and reliably. I run my unit 24/7 and
    have done so continuously for over 2 years. It only goes down for
    routine cleaning.

    helen c

    Scribe wrote:
    > "WSZsr" <nospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >

    >>Hitachi bought out IBM's hard drive unit. I have an Hitachi SATA hard
    >
    > drive
    >
    >>and I like it. It is highly rated.
    >>
    >>Here is a review:
    >>

    > http://www.storagereview.com/articles/200310/20031007HDS722525VLSA80_1.html
    >
    > Anyone have any opinions on Samsung hard drives?

    Squirrel - Boris and I will find you and that moose - Natasha Baddenoff

    PS Boris finally made an honest woman of me (I will never fogive him)

    Ted Zieglar aka Rocky wrote:

    > Finally I got fed up and bought a Seagate drive. It's rock solid reliable
    > and virtually silent. It's a Lexus.
    >
    > Ted Zieglar
    > formerly "Rocket J. Squirrel"

Dell Hard Drives Computers