Alienware M15x AlienFX questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

shaunske123

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2010
Hi everyone,

Just a question on the alienFX lighting that comes with the laptop.

I can be a very paranoid individual, so i am having a hard time deciding on which color LED to use, as from memory it can affect the lifetime of the LEDs.

My questions are as follows,

1) Is there only one (1) LED under the keyboard or an array/multiple of colors and which ones to produce lighting?
2)Will a specific color impact lifetime of led's?
3)Does morphing reduce LED life?
4) would each zone have to have 4 led's to make white?

Answers to these 4 questions will be greatly appreciated as it will take alot of my mind.

Thanks a lot

warezme

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006
You are being paranoid. It's some kind of RGB array because when they change color they phase into the different color not just blink from one to the next. It's LED, they should last as long as the computer and the color shouldn't matter. I noticed some the array is super accurate as you don't always get a pure color especially in the yellows and white, there is usually some yellow in the white and some red in the yellow but the blues, green and red are pretty pure leading me to believe they are an RGB array. I prefer blue and red as they look the best at night without being annoyingly gawdy. I got the light up keyboard and stuff for the ease of use at night not for the blingy pulsing and color changing.

warezme

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006

I believe its an array of RGB LED's. They are a little more expensive but are single LED's that modulate their voltage to get all three colors red, green and blue or mix them together to get white. This would mean that if one LED goes out for some reason, that spot would go out and is not dependent on any single color. They should be good for about 200,000 hrs. and even then the replacement light up keyboards are not that expensive. I think the controllers are more expensive.

shaunske123

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2010

So say one day they did decide to "go out" i could always get them replaced?

Status
Not open for further replies.