Sign in with
Your question

Transfering OEM vista

Last response: in Windows 7
January 8, 2013 8:20:10 PM

I have no idea how OEM licensing works and looking around yielded no real answers so I wanted to ask here.
I currently have a desktop computer with a OEM Windows Vista, and I want to upgrade nearly everything about it except the hard drive.
Is there any possible way to upgrade the OEM Vista in my harddrive into a Windows 7 OS that I can then transfer to my newly built computer? I ask this because upgrading is cheaper than buying the actual OS alone.

If there is a way, I would like directions on how to do so. Thanks.

More about : transfering oem vista

a b $ Windows 7
January 8, 2013 8:23:49 PM

Nope. The OEM License is tied to the motherboard and cannot be transferred to another, except in the case of a replacement with an identical motherboard. However, Microsoft <may>, at it's discretion allow replacement with a similar motherboard in the case where the identical model is no longer available.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
January 8, 2013 8:34:27 PM

The Replacement MB has to be because the origninal MB DIED, if orignal MB is still functioning a new MB is simply a "upgrade" then OEM Vistia stays with the Origninal MB.

NOTE This i the same as for OEM Windows XP, and OEM Windows 7: HOWEVER; OEM Windows 8 will ALLOW for transfering the Lic to a "NEW" Mother Board, or You can sell "old" system (removing your OEM Win 8), Buy a new system and re-install OEM Win 8 on New system.
m
l
Related resources
January 8, 2013 8:58:50 PM

Also note, you can install a retail upgrade copy of windows over an oem install. So you can just purchase a retail upgrade and install that. It will not have the MB restrictions (the retail upgrade version of windows 7 will have its own retail key, so your install will no longer be oem).

I did this when upgrading from Windows vista. I installed a regular retail upgrade copy of windows 7 over my oem vista, then about a year later moved that entire install to a different machine. No problems.

You may actually be able to just get all the new hardware and hook your old HD to it, then install the upgrade copy of windows over the old oem vista with a clean install. It only checks if a copy of windows is installed on the drive, I don't believe it cares whether or not it is an oem copy.
m
l
a c 416 $ Windows 7
January 8, 2013 10:15:52 PM

Also applies to Vista:

OEM versions of Windows 7 are identical to Full License Retail versions except for the following:

- OEM versions do not offer any free Microsoft direct support from Microsoft support personnel

- OEM licenses are tied to the very first computer you install and activate it on

- OEM versions allow all hardware upgrades except for an upgrade to a different model motherboard

- OEM versions cannot be used to directly upgrade from an older Windows operating system

Microsoft.com ^

OEM vs. Retail

OEM Windows 7 comes preinstalled on computers. This is the cheapest way to buy windows. Large PC manufacturers like Dell, HP etc. (collectively called royalty OEMs) install windows on millions of such PCs. The main characteristics of such systems are:

The license agreement and support agreement is between you and the PC maker, not MS.

Activation by the end user is not required. Windows is preactivated at the factory by the OEM using images and standard SLP keys.

Your copy of windows is locked to that PC. The license is not transferable.

OEM system builder is what you get when you buy from say Newegg or from a local "white box" vendor. It too has the characteristics of Royalty OEM windows. Although it is possible for an individual to buy a System Builder copy, the license requires that the software be installed using the OPK (OEM preinstall kit) and then resold.

Retail version is what you buy from a retailer like Amazon or Bestbuy. Its a full price version that comes packaged in a retail box with a retail product key. It has to be activated online via MS servers using the key on the box, it is not tied to the PC it was first installed on, though it can only be used on a single computer at a time. And, MS directly provides the support for it. It is also more expensive than OEM copies.

As far as functionality is concerned, theres no difference between any of the versions above, given any specific edition (i.e. between OEM pro and retail pro, or between OEM ultimate and retail ultimate).

sevenforums.com
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
January 9, 2013 1:32:18 AM

RetiredChief said:

NOTE This i the same as for OEM Windows XP, and OEM Windows 7: HOWEVER; OEM Windows 8 will ALLOW for transfering the Lic to a "NEW" Mother Board, or You can sell "old" system (removing your OEM Win 8), Buy a new system and re-install OEM Win 8 on New system.

I had not heard this. Where did you read that?
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
January 9, 2013 1:41:19 AM

SR-71 Blackbird said:
It's a fact ^

I know. I just tracked it down on the ms site.

This might apply to previous versions too. I have been arguing for a long time that microsofts claim that oem copies can't be moved is legally dubious. At least in the united states. Just because a vendor claims a right doesn't automatically mean that right exists in copyright law. Might be why MS is loosening up on this issue.
m
l
a c 416 $ Windows 7
January 9, 2013 1:43:31 AM

It's a change of heart by microsoft for windows 8. :D 
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
January 9, 2013 11:13:04 AM

"This might apply to previous versions too"
NOT to my Knowledge.
m
l
a c 416 $ Windows 7
January 9, 2013 8:25:12 PM

No it doesn't apply to any other windows versions.
m
l
!