[Crawl] YAVP (Demonspawn Hunter)

So I managed to get a 6th victory before completing the
first round of playing all race-class combinations.
A demonspawn hunter and just the regular 3 rune victory
(Snake Pit, Swamp, Vaults). No teleport control granting
items were found so Slime Pit had to be skipped. A rare
game in that I never got banished to Abyss. The Hells,
Pandemonium and Tomb were much too scary for this
character. First demonspawn, second hunter to win.

I had a couple of really close calls on Zot 5. Once I was
down to 1 hit point, the second time 3 hit points. Both
times I managed to survive with random teleports and
Okawaru's protection. I was sure I would die on both
occasions. It just keeps amazing me how easily the
situation in Crawl can change from 'full hit points, nothing
to worry about' to 'almost dead, racing to upstairs with an
orb of fire / electric golem / 1-demon on my heels'.

I practised no spellcasting, even though I had manuals of
Spellcasting and Air Magic in reserve and could have wasted
the overflowing experience from the Real of Zot on those.

Okawaru gave me great items but I just couldn't keep my piety
up enough to use haste at all. I used might all the time when
facing dangerous critters and healing was crucial at some
points. The demon summoning ability I got wasn't too useful
with Okawaru.

Darshan's excellent patch was used.

Dungeon Crawl version 4.0.0 beta 26 character file.

Wilhelm the Bludgeoner (Demonspawn)
(Level 27 Hunter)

Play time: 1 day, 01:14:38 Number of turns: 163791

Experience : 27/1379577
Strength 27 Dexterity 18 Intelligence 9
Hit Points : 204 Magic Points : 38
AC : 43 Evasion : 14 Shield : 9
GP : 275

You escaped.
You worship Okawaru.
Okawaru is greatly pleased with you.
You are not hungry.

Inventory:
Hand weapons
a - a +7,+7 spiked flail of piercing (weapon) (3107 gold)
b - a +6,+7 bow (415 gold)
c - a +0,+1 dwarven short sword (52 gold)
d - a +3,+2 bow of frost (514 gold)
e - the +2,+6 ancus "Oxejevage" (980 gold)
It inflicts extra damage upon your enemies.
It insulates you from electricity.
It enhances your eyesight.
It lets you levitate.
It lets you blink.
// For insulation. Made electric golems a bit less scary.

f - a +2,+2 bow of flame (432 gold)
Missiles
k - 30 +0 arrows (60 gold)
s - 11 poisoned +0 orcish arrows (22 gold)
Armour
// This is probably the best set of armour I've ever had.

B - the +3 pair of boots of the Eternal Fruit (worn) (396 gold)
It affects your intelligence (-3).
It greatly protects you from cold.
It lets you go berserk.

C - a +2 cloak of preservation (worn) (191 gold)
G - the -4 pair of gloves of Wondrous Power (worn) (372 gold)
It affects your damage-dealing abilities (+3).
It protects you from poison.
It partially protects you from negative energy.
It protects you from magic.
It makes you much more stealthy.

H - a +2 helmet of see invisible (worn) (272 gold)
M - the +0 crystal plate mail of Wim Mehuqohy (worn) (659 gold)
It affects your evasion (+4).

S - the +1 shield of the Onion (worn) (357 gold)
It protects you from fire.
It protects you from poison.

Magical devices
j - a wand of invisibility (2) (57 gold)
l - a wand of hasting (0) (3 gold)
q - a wand of digging (2) (42 gold)
y - a wand of fireball (8) (180 gold)
z - a wand of disintegration (0) (3 gold)
E - a wand of fire (0) (3 gold)
Q - a wand of cold (0) (3 gold)
R - a wand of draining (6) (132 gold)
// Too few recharging scrolls.

Comestibles
n - a bread ration (40 gold)
t - 2 meat rations (80 gold)
Scrolls
h - 7 scrolls of identify (140 gold)
p - 2 scrolls of remove curse (60 gold)
Jewellery
g - a cursed ring of levitation (140 gold)
i - a +0,+6 ring of slaying (left hand) (210 gold)
o - the ring "Luqiquhewushil" (175 gold)
// Teleportation.
It protects you from fire.
It enhances your eyesight.

u - the amulet "Muw Kyxukuxyri" (245 gold)
// Controlled flying. I used this exactly once, when there
// was a strange treasure vault where all but one of the
// items were over lava.

w - an amulet of conservation (175 gold)
x - the cursed ring of Susejebu (210 gold)
// Protection from cold.

F - a ring of sustain abilities (175 gold)
I - the ring of Bodily Harmony (658 gold)
// Ice.
It affects your AC (+4).
It partially protects you from negative energy.

J - a +6 ring of strength (right hand) (490 gold)
K - an amulet of the gourmand (245 gold)
L - the amulet of the Four Winds (427 gold)
// Clarity. This was my main amulet.
It partially protects you from negative energy.
It protects you from magic.

N - an amulet of resist mutation (210 gold)
P - an amulet of warding (around neck) (210 gold)
// I put this on for the trip upstairs. It was also used
// whenever someone summoned 1s.

T - a ring of protection from fire (210 gold)
U - a ring of protection from cold (210 gold)
W - an amulet of resist corrosion (210 gold)
X - a ring of fire (434 gold)
Potions
D - a potion of healing (20 gold)
// A souvenir from the Orb room.

Orbs of Power
r - the Orb of Zot (250000 gold)
Miscellaneous
m - a serpentine rune of Zot (10000 gold)
v - a decaying rune of Zot (10000 gold)
A - the horn of Geryon (5000 gold)
V - a silver rune of Zot (10000 gold)

You have 4213 experience left.

Skills:
+ Level 15 Fighting
+ Level 2 Short Blades
+ Level 26 Maces & Flails
+ Level 17 Bows
+ Level 2 Darts
+ Level 11 Throwing
+ Level 15 Armour
+ Level 2 Dodging
+ Level 1 Stealth
+ Level 1 Stabbing
+ Level 14 Shields
+ Level 10 Traps & Doors
+ Level 1 Spellcasting
+ Level 14 Invocations
+ Level 8 Evocations

You have 28 spell levels left.
You don't know any spells.

Mutations & Other Weirdness
* You are surrounded by a moderate repulsion field (ev + 3).
You digest meat inefficiently.
You have a fast metabolism.
You are weak (Str -1).
* You are extremely resistant to the effects of magic.
* You can breathe fire.
Your vision is a little blurry.
* You can summon demons to your aid.
* You can channel magical energy from Hell.
* You can invoke the powers of Tartarus to smite your living foes.
// All of the bad ones were from orbs of fire on the Zot levels.
// Even though I did put on an amulet of resist mutation whenever
// I saw a red *. Never used the channeling ability.

Vanquished Creatures
// Snipped and re-grouped.

// The nasty ones:
2 orbs of fire // I hate these the most.
2 ancient liches
3 Killer Klowns
4 electric golems // I hate these the second most.
2 titans
6 golden dragons
19 storm dragons // A lot, I think.

// The named characters:
Boris (Zot:3)
Norris (D:23)
Duane (Lair:7)
Wayne (D:25)
Frances (Swamp:4)
Francis (Vault:5)
Louise (Zot:1)
Josephine (Elf:5)
Urug (D:14)
Psyche (D:14)
Edmund (D:10)
Terence (D:3)
// No Sigmund!

// The ghosts:
The ghost of Jippo the Knifefighter, a great HO Th (D:27)
The ghost of Folgil the Swordfighter, a great SE Fi (Zot:1)
The ghost of Tykki the Destroyer, a mighty DG Cj (Blade)
The ghost of Erhe the Shield-Bearer, an average DE Fi (D:3)

// The singles:
A Balrug (Zot:4)
A Blue Death (Zot:4)
A minotaur (Lab)
An elephant slug (Lair:10)
A red wasp (Vault:8)
A hellion (Elf:4)
A spiny worm (D:21)
An eye of devastation (D:23)
An efreet (Vault:2)
A queen bee (Hive:4)
A clay golem (D:19)
A neqoxec (Zot:3)
A manticore (D:16)
A hell hound (D:19)
A hairy devil (D:27)
A boring beetle (Lair:6)
A rotting devil (Zot:4)
A brain worm (Vault:3)
A ghoul (Zot:4)
A scorpion (D:12)
A flying skull (Zot:4)

// The 3 digit club:
109 slime creatures
121 ugly things
116 nagas
247 killer bees
224 orcs
121 grey rats

3700 creatures vanquished.

Whew, the game took months in real time. I really should
finish my on-going games in Adom (a precrowned character) and
Nethack (a character that just cleared the Castle) before
returning to Crawl...

6 race-class combinations done, still quite a lot to go! :)

-Jukka
--
Jukka Kuusisto
19 answers Last reply

    Jukka Kuusisto <jkuusist@cc.hut.fi> roared:

    > So I managed to get a 6th victory before completing the
    > first round of playing all race-class combinations.

    Congratulations!

    > I had a couple of really close calls on Zot 5. Once I was
    > down to 1 hit point, the second time 3 hit points. Both
    > times I managed to survive with random teleports and
    > Okawaru's protection. I was sure I would die on both
    > occasions. It just keeps amazing me how easily the
    > situation in Crawl can change from 'full hit points, nothing
    > to worry about' to 'almost dead, racing to upstairs with an
    > orb of fire / electric golem / 1-demon on my heels'.

    Indeed. This sounds very familiar. The only one of my characters
    where I think it was signifficantly different was the DESu, but he
    hid most of the time and let others do the fighting, and maybe those
    others might have wished for teleport and a stair. <g>

    > Okawaru gave me great items but I just couldn't keep my piety
    > up enough to use haste at all.

    I usually find myself unable to use the best god-granted ability
    down in Zot, too.

    > C - a +2 cloak of preservation (worn) (191 gold)

    Ooh! Haven't seen one of them for quite some time. Want one too! :)

    > G - the -4 pair of gloves of Wondrous Power (worn) (372 gold)
    > It affects your damage-dealing abilities (+3).
    > It protects you from poison.
    > It partially protects you from negative energy.
    > It protects you from magic.
    > It makes you much more stealthy.

    Neat. :) (The rest, too.)

    > Magical devices
    > j - a wand of invisibility (2) (57 gold)
    > l - a wand of hasting (0) (3 gold)
    > q - a wand of digging (2) (42 gold)
    > y - a wand of fireball (8) (180 gold)
    > z - a wand of disintegration (0) (3 gold)
    > E - a wand of fire (0) (3 gold)
    > Q - a wand of cold (0) (3 gold)
    > R - a wand of draining (6) (132 gold)
    > // Too few recharging scrolls.

    Do you really need all those wands down there, though? I only drag
    some around to empty them to train Evocation...

    > w - an amulet of conservation (175 gold)

    You didn't really need that with the cloak, did you? Or are they
    cumulative?

    > Potions
    > D - a potion of healing (20 gold)
    > // A souvenir from the Orb room.

    That's all the potions you had?

    > Mutations & Other Weirdness
    > * You are surrounded by a moderate repulsion field (ev + 3).
    > You digest meat inefficiently.
    > You have a fast metabolism.
    > You are weak (Str -1).
    > * You are extremely resistant to the effects of magic.
    > * You can breathe fire.
    > Your vision is a little blurry.
    > * You can summon demons to your aid.
    > * You can channel magical energy from Hell.
    > * You can invoke the powers of Tartarus to smite your living
    > foes. // All of the bad ones were from orbs of fire on the Zot
    > levels. // Even though I did put on an amulet of resist mutation
    > whenever // I saw a red *. Never used the channeling ability.

    What does it do? (At a guess I'd say it refills your mana.)

    Neat Demonspawn mutations, though. :)

    > Vanquished Creatures
    > // Snipped and re-grouped.

    > // The nasty ones:
    > 2 orbs of fire // I hate these the most.

    They aren't all that common, though. I think hydras are at the top
    of my least-liked monster. :)

    > 2 ancient liches
    > 3 Killer Klowns
    > 4 electric golems // I hate these the second most.

    I think I can agree here.

    > 2 titans
    > 6 golden dragons
    > 19 storm dragons // A lot, I think.

    I'd think so, too, but checked my old dumps and around 15 seems
    normal. 19 is still more than that, though.

    > // The named characters:
    > Boris (Zot:3)
    > Norris (D:23)
    > Duane (Lair:7)
    > Wayne (D:25)
    > Frances (Swamp:4)
    > Francis (Vault:5)
    > Louise (Zot:1)
    > Josephine (Elf:5)
    > Urug (D:14)
    > Psyche (D:14)
    > Edmund (D:10)
    > Terence (D:3)
    > // No Sigmund!

    Jessica and Ijyb seem to be absent, too. Maybe they had partied
    together the night before and overslept. :)

    > // The ghosts:
    > The ghost of Jippo the Knifefighter, a great HO Th (D:27)
    > The ghost of Folgil the Swordfighter, a great SE Fi (Zot:1)
    > The ghost of Tykki the Destroyer, a mighty DG Cj (Blade)
    > The ghost of Erhe the Shield-Bearer, an average DE Fi (D:3)

    Your ghosts or do you use Hearse?

    Btw, I like your system of what kills to not snip (singles, 3-digit
    ones, sounds good).

    > Whew, the game took months in real time. I really should
    > finish my on-going games in Adom (a precrowned character) and
    > Nethack (a character that just cleared the Castle) before
    > returning to Crawl...

    Would they be any fun to play?

    I've got a chaotic knight who isn't all that interested in mapping
    the rest of Gehennom lying around for Nethack for over a year (plus
    some early game Slash'EM lycanthrope). No motivation to going back
    to them.

    > 6 race-class combinations done, still quite a lot to go! :)

    :) My plan is to first do all classes and all races in non-doubles
    combinations (where possible). The interesting ones slowly become
    less and less. (Demonspawn is one of my favorite races.)

    --
    Tina the Spear-Bearer - the Favourite Plaything of the Rebuking Noodle Gristle
  2. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    Tina_Hall@kruemel.org (Tina Hall) writes:

    >I usually find myself unable to use the best god-granted ability
    >down in Zot, too.

    I lost a lot of piety in the Hall of Blades and never got up
    to 'exalted' after after that. Perhaps I should have skipped
    the Hall but I like the big experience points from the
    weapons. I also had my first penance situation ever when
    I summoned some demons who died and Okawaru was greatly
    disappointed.

    >> Magical devices
    >> j - a wand of invisibility (2) (57 gold)
    >> l - a wand of hasting (0) (3 gold)
    >> q - a wand of digging (2) (42 gold)
    >> y - a wand of fireball (8) (180 gold)
    >> z - a wand of disintegration (0) (3 gold)
    >> E - a wand of fire (0) (3 gold)
    >> Q - a wand of cold (0) (3 gold)
    >> R - a wand of draining (6) (132 gold)
    >> // Too few recharging scrolls.

    >Do you really need all those wands down there, though? I only drag
    >some around to empty them to train Evocation...

    I guess not, but this is the basic set of wands I like to
    always have at hand. Only a wand of healing is missing,
    never saw one.

    >> w - an amulet of conservation (175 gold)

    >You didn't really need that with the cloak, did you? Or are they
    >cumulative?

    No idea. Never wore that amulet, because the trip to Slime Pit
    never happened.

    >> Potions
    >> D - a potion of healing (20 gold)
    >> // A souvenir from the Orb room.

    >That's all the potions you had?

    Yes.

    >> Never used the channeling ability.

    >What does it do? (At a guess I'd say it refills your mana.)

    I think it does just that.

    >> 2 orbs of fire // I hate these the most.

    >They aren't all that common, though. I think hydras are at the top
    >of my least-liked monster. :)

    I had to fight a third one, but I guess it was a shapechanger.
    I don't mind hydras if bladed weapons aren't my main attack.
    Unless I meet one out of depth.

    >> // The ghosts:
    >> The ghost of Jippo the Knifefighter, a great HO Th (D:27)
    >> The ghost of Folgil the Swordfighter, a great SE Fi (Zot:1)
    >> The ghost of Tykki the Destroyer, a mighty DG Cj (Blade)
    >> The ghost of Erhe the Shield-Bearer, an average DE Fi (D:3)

    >Your ghosts or do you use Hearse?

    All mine, no Hearse. Just embarrassing that I had a conjurer
    die in the Hall of Blades...

    >> Whew, the game took months in real time. I really should
    >> finish my on-going games in Adom (a precrowned character) and
    >> Nethack (a character that just cleared the Castle) before
    >> returning to Crawl...

    >Would they be any fun to play?

    The Adom one for sure. Since I ascended all classes in Nethack
    I haven't seriously played it. But it's been several years
    since the last ascension so I'm not sure I won't die to a
    stupid mistake.

    >I've got a chaotic knight who isn't all that interested in mapping
    >the rest of Gehennom lying around for Nethack for over a year (plus
    >some early game Slash'EM lycanthrope). No motivation to going back
    >to them.

    Mine is a knight too. I've last played it 27.9.2003 and it was
    started in April that year.

    -Jukka
    --
    Jukka Kuusisto
  3. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    Jukka Kuusisto <jkuusist@cc.hut.fi> roared:
    > Tina_Hall@kruemel.org (Tina Hall) writes:

    >> I usually find myself unable to use the best god-granted ability
    >> down in Zot, too.

    > I lost a lot of piety in the Hall of Blades and never got up to
    > 'exalted' after after that. Perhaps I should have skipped the Hall
    > but I like the big experience points from the weapons.

    Is it all that much? I usually skip the Hall of Blades because
    there's no interesting loot there, and use up piety for other stuff
    that helps survive the lower levels of the Dungeon, and then Zot.

    > I also had my first penance situation ever when I summoned some
    > demons who died and Okawaru was greatly disappointed.

    Ow. Those two (that ability and Okawaru) really don't make a good
    combination. :)

    >>> Magical devices
    >>> j - a wand of invisibility (2) (57 gold)
    >>> l - a wand of hasting (0) (3 gold)
    >>> q - a wand of digging (2) (42 gold)
    >>> y - a wand of fireball (8) (180 gold)
    >>> z - a wand of disintegration (0) (3 gold)
    >>> E - a wand of fire (0) (3 gold)
    >>> Q - a wand of cold (0) (3 gold)
    >>> R - a wand of draining (6) (132 gold)
    >>> // Too few recharging scrolls.

    >> Do you really need all those wands down there, though? I only
    >> drag some around to empty them to train Evocation...

    > I guess not, but this is the basic set of wands I like to always
    > have at hand. Only a wand of healing is missing, never saw one.

    There's no teleport. In the endgame, I just like to have
    invisibility, hasting, healing, digging, disintegration and
    teleport. Offensive wands rarely do much good that late in the game,
    I found.

    >>> w - an amulet of conservation (175 gold)

    >> You didn't really need that with the cloak, did you? Or are they
    >> cumulative?

    > No idea. Never wore that amulet, because the trip to Slime Pit
    > never happened.

    For that you'd need resist corrosion, not conservation, as this only
    protects your stuff from burning/freezing, most of the time.

    >>> Potions
    >>> D - a potion of healing (20 gold)
    >>> // A souvenir from the Orb room.

    >> That's all the potions you had?

    > Yes.

    Ow. Must have been worrying. What happened to them?

    >>> 2 orbs of fire // I hate these the most.

    >> They aren't all that common, though. I think hydras are at the
    >> top of my least-liked monster. :)

    > I had to fight a third one, but I guess it was a shapechanger.
    > I don't mind hydras if bladed weapons aren't my main attack.
    > Unless I meet one out of depth.

    I found them pretty nasty even with maces, in the Swamp (where
    they're not at all out of depth).

    I was surprised that 'no weapon' lops off their heads, too, though,
    not just bladed weapons...

    >>> // The ghosts:
    >>> The ghost of Jippo the Knifefighter, a great HO Th (D:27)
    >>> The ghost of Folgil the Swordfighter, a great SE Fi (Zot:1)
    >>> The ghost of Tykki the Destroyer, a mighty DG Cj (Blade)
    >>> The ghost of Erhe the Shield-Bearer, an average DE Fi (D:3)

    >> Your ghosts or do you use Hearse?

    > All mine, no Hearse.

    That's a shame (if you added your bones to Hearse there'd be more
    for download).

    Are those normal Finnish names, or how did you get them?

    > Just embarrassing that I had a conjurer die in the Hall of
    > Blades...

    Why?

    >>> Whew, the game took months in real time. I really should
    >>> finish my on-going games in Adom (a precrowned character) and
    >>> Nethack (a character that just cleared the Castle) before
    >>> returning to Crawl...

    >> Would they be any fun to play?

    > The Adom one for sure. Since I ascended all classes in Nethack
    > I haven't seriously played it.

    "AOL." :)

    > But it's been several years since the last ascension so I'm not
    > sure I won't die to a stupid mistake.

    Oh, definitely, after all that time, but Gehennom is still a major
    demotivator (only the early/mid game is interesting).

    >> I've got a chaotic knight who isn't all that interested in
    >> mapping the rest of Gehennom lying around for Nethack for over a
    >> year (plus some early game Slash'EM lycanthrope). No motivation
    >> to going back to them.

    > Mine is a knight too. I've last played it 27.9.2003 and it was
    > started in April that year.

    The date of my saved knight says 14.03.2003 (but that was likely
    just checking something). Must have been started shortly after
    16.05.2002 (last logfile entry).

    --
    Tina the Pyromancer - the Champion of the Resident Neglectful Grudge
  4. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    Tina_Hall@kruemel.org (Tina Hall) writes:

    >Jukka Kuusisto <jkuusist@cc.hut.fi> roared:
    >> I lost a lot of piety in the Hall of Blades and never got up to
    >> 'exalted' after after that. Perhaps I should have skipped the Hall
    >> but I like the big experience points from the weapons.

    >Is it all that much? I usually skip the Hall of Blades because
    >there's no interesting loot there, and use up piety for other stuff
    >that helps survive the lower levels of the Dungeon, and then Zot.

    Well, the weapons seem to give something like 500-1000 exp each
    so clearing the Halls usually nets a level.

    >> I guess not, but this is the basic set of wands I like to always
    >> have at hand. Only a wand of healing is missing, never saw one.

    >There's no teleport.

    Oh yes. That's another one missing. So I didn't see any of
    those either.

    >> No idea. Never wore that amulet, because the trip to Slime Pit
    >> never happened.

    >For that you'd need resist corrosion, not conservation, as this only
    >protects your stuff from burning/freezing, most of the time.

    Oh yes, of course. I did have that one too. I should've
    dumped the conservation one.

    >Ow. Must have been worrying. What happened to them?

    All useful potions got used up or destroyed.

    >> I don't mind hydras if bladed weapons aren't my main attack.
    >> Unless I meet one out of depth.

    >I found them pretty nasty even with maces, in the Swamp (where
    >they're not at all out of depth).

    I don't nowadays have problems with hydras in the Swamp
    because I don't go there if I'm not sure I can handle them :)

    >I was surprised that 'no weapon' lops off their heads, too, though,
    >not just bladed weapons...

    Doesn't seem logical to me.

    >>> Your ghosts or do you use Hearse?

    >> All mine, no Hearse.

    >That's a shame (if you added your bones to Hearse there'd be more
    >for download).

    But I don't want to meet other players' characters' ghosts.

    >Are those normal Finnish names, or how did you get them?

    Well. 'Jippo' is spoken language and can be translated
    roughly as 'a trick'. 'Tykki' means 'a cannon'. 'Erhe' is
    'a mistake' (I guess a deep elven fighter is a mistake :)
    'Folgil' just seemed a bit Elvish to me.

    >> Just embarrassing that I had a conjurer die in the Hall of
    >> Blades...

    >Why?

    Because no character ever should die there. It's a voluntary
    place and you know what you get when you go there.

    -Jukka
    --
    Jukka Kuusisto
  5. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    Jukka Kuusisto <jkuusist@cc.hut.fi> shouted:
    > Tina_Hall@kruemel.org (Tina Hall) writes:
    >> Jukka Kuusisto <jkuusist@cc.hut.fi> roared:

    [Exp from the weapons...]
    >> Is it all that much? I usually skip the Hall of Blades because
    >> there's no interesting loot there,

    > Well, the weapons seem to give something like 500-1000 exp each
    > so clearing the Halls usually nets a level.

    Hmm... At that point, those exp don't look all that impressive.
    (That might just be big nasties' exp making a bigger impression on
    me.)

    [wands]
    >> There's no teleport.

    > Oh yes. That's another one missing. So I didn't see any of
    > those either.

    That's rare.

    >> Ow. Must have been worrying. What happened to them?

    > All useful potions got used up or destroyed.

    Destroyed despite that cloak, you must have gotten quite a lot
    thrown at you.

    [hydras]
    >> I found them pretty nasty even with maces, in the Swamp (where
    >> they're not at all out of depth).

    > I don't nowadays have problems with hydras in the Swamp
    > because I don't go there if I'm not sure I can handle them :)

    Heh. My problem is often that the Swamp is the lesser evil of the
    options I have. :)

    >> I was surprised that 'no weapon' lops off their heads, too,
    >> though, not just bladed weapons...

    > Doesn't seem logical to me.

    It's what my TrBe observed...

    >>> All mine, no Hearse.

    >> That's a shame (if you added your bones to Hearse there'd be
    >> more for download).

    > But I don't want to meet other players' characters' ghosts.

    Why not? Besides, couldn't you just upload copies of yours, and say
    'no thanks' to any that are offered to you?

    With this, I'm much like I was (I'm told) as a little kid, after the
    first time in a ghost ride. I was crying, the acompanying adult felt
    guilty and thought it might have been too much, until she made out
    what I was crying: "More ghosts! More ghosts!". <g>

    >> Are those normal Finnish names, or how did you get them?

    > Well. 'Jippo' is spoken language and can be translated
    > roughly as 'a trick'. 'Tykki' means 'a cannon'. 'Erhe' is
    > 'a mistake' (I guess a deep elven fighter is a mistake :)

    That's what I thought, too, when checking the character right after
    reading the translation. :)

    > 'Folgil' just seemed a bit Elvish to me.

    Hmmm... I guess my idea of Elvish names is somewhat different to
    yours.

    Apart from that, my favorite name is 'Mould' for a Sludge Elf
    Transmuter (fits both, the mouldy sludge elves and the moulding
    transmuters). :)

    >>> Just embarrassing that I had a conjurer die in the Hall of
    >>> Blades...

    >> Why?

    > Because no character ever should die there. It's a voluntary
    > place and you know what you get when you go there.

    After the first time, anyway. :)

    Similar could be said about the Elven Halls, though, as they're
    voluntary, too.

    --
    Tina the Convoker - the Favourite Plaything of the Ranting Nonaligned Goat
  6. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    Tina_Hall@kruemel.org (Tina Hall) writes:

    >Jukka Kuusisto <jkuusist@cc.hut.fi> shouted:
    >> Tina_Hall@kruemel.org (Tina Hall) writes:
    >>> Jukka Kuusisto <jkuusist@cc.hut.fi> roared:

    >Destroyed despite that cloak, you must have gotten quite a lot
    >thrown at you.

    Well, I did have a couple of dozen healing potions stashed
    in the dungeon. Now that I think of it, I probably should
    have lugged them along, even the small amount of healing
    would have been useful at some points. Normally I don't
    drag them around if I have poison resistance. I also had
    stashed restore ability and levitation potions.

    I think I didn't even have a single potion of heal wounds left
    when entering Zot 5. I had one potion of speed which got
    destroyed and a couple of invisibility potions which I used
    when desperately trying to escape with a few hit points left.
    (Even though I guess most of the monster there see invisible
    anyway.) Other potions are mostly useless at that point.

    >> But I don't want to meet other players' characters' ghosts.

    >Why not? Besides, couldn't you just upload copies of yours, and say
    >'no thanks' to any that are offered to you?

    I don't know why. But I guess I could only upload my ghosts,
    if i would bother installing the thing in the first place...

    -Jukka
    --
    Jukka Kuusisto
  7. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    On Tue, 7 Sep 2004 06:28:00 GMT+1, Tina_Hall@kruemel.org (Tina Hall)
    wrote:

    >Jukka Kuusisto <jkuusist@cc.hut.fi> shouted:
    >> Tina_Hall@kruemel.org (Tina Hall) writes:

    >>> I was surprised that 'no weapon' lops off their heads, too,
    >>> though, not just bladed weapons...
    >
    >> Doesn't seem logical to me.
    >
    >It's what my TrBe observed...

    I was about to ask if you were playing a troll then. A bare-handed
    troll isn't exactly weaponless. Think big, *sharp* claws that can
    butcher corpses.

    >> But I don't want to meet other players' characters' ghosts.
    >
    >Why not?

    Well, I can't speak for Jukka, but I die to my *own* ghosts way too
    often as it is. My current character combo (demigod conjuror) has gone
    through seven games and *twice* has died to his *own* ghost. Grrr.

    The only good they are is another monster to gain experience from,
    something I've yet to see any shortage of.

    >Similar could be said about the Elven Halls, though, as they're
    >voluntary, too.

    And the Orcish Mines! And, well, that whole dangerous dungeon place,
    when you could just forget that silly orb and go back up the stairs
    and get a *real job* and *make your mother* proud instead of wandering
    around zapping wands at subterranean persons who were minding their
    own business...

    Richard Daniel Henry
    danhenry@inreach.com
  8. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    On Tue, 07 Sep 2004 15:21:15 -0700, R. Dan Henry
    <danhenry@inreach.com> wrote:

    >ell, I can't speak for Jukka, but I die to my *own* ghosts way too
    >often as it is. My current character combo (demigod conjuror) has gone
    >through seven games and *twice* has died to his *own* ghost. Grrr.

    Actually was on my seventh game then. Guess how *he* died?

    Richard Daniel Henry
    danhenry@inreach.com
  9. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    R. Dan Henry <danhenry@inreach.com> buzzed:
    > Tina_Hall@kruemel.org (Tina Hall) wrote:
    >> Jukka Kuusisto <jkuusist@cc.hut.fi> shouted:

    [lopping off hydra heads]
    >> It's what my TrBe observed...

    > I was about to ask if you were playing a troll then. A
    > bare-handed troll isn't exactly weaponless. Think big, *sharp*
    > claws that can butcher corpses.

    Ok, I hadn't thought of it that way. So it doesn't work that way for
    critters that can't butcher without an external blade?

    >>> But I don't want to meet other players' characters' ghosts.
    >>
    >> Why not?

    > Well, I can't speak for Jukka, but I die to my *own* ghosts way
    > too often as it is.

    But it's cool to have them in the vanquished creatures list. <g>
    (Besides, I like beating ghosts.)

    > My current character combo (demigod conjuror) has gone through
    > seven games and *twice* has died to his *own* ghost. Grrr.

    No way to just leave them behind?

    > The only good they are is another monster to gain experience
    > from, something I've yet to see any shortage of.

    <g>

    There are plenty of nameless monsters, but only a few uniques (and
    most of their names don't tell me anything yet). Ghosts are more
    interesting than uniques, because they're your own, or even others'
    'creations', more meaningful in a way. They're fun because they're
    special.

    >> Similar could be said about the Elven Halls, though, as they're
    >> voluntary, too.

    > And the Orcish Mines!

    True. In a way, anything in the Lair beyond the branches you need to
    reach, too. You can chose the places to aquire your runes.

    > And, well, that whole dangerous dungeon place, when you could just
    > forget that silly orb and go back up the stairs and get a *real
    > job* and *make your mother* proud

    If that person isn't actually an embarrassment (if you're inclined
    to be embarrassed). <eg>

    I'd think I prefer the Orb. :)

    > instead of wandering around zapping wands at subterranean persons
    > who were minding their own business...

    Well, they aren't exactly minding their own business when they are
    coming at you swinging heavy or dangerously glinting objects...

    --
    Tina the Covered - an Elder of the Revelling Numerous Girl
  10. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    On Wed, 8 Sep 2004 04:24:00 GMT+1, Tina_Hall@kruemel.org (Tina Hall)
    wrote:

    >R. Dan Henry <danhenry@inreach.com> buzzed:
    >> Tina_Hall@kruemel.org (Tina Hall) wrote:
    >>> Jukka Kuusisto <jkuusist@cc.hut.fi> shouted:
    >
    >[lopping off hydra heads]
    >>> It's what my TrBe observed...
    >
    >> I was about to ask if you were playing a troll then. A
    >> bare-handed troll isn't exactly weaponless. Think big, *sharp*
    >> claws that can butcher corpses.
    >
    >Ok, I hadn't thought of it that way. So it doesn't work that way for
    >critters that can't butcher without an external blade?

    I don't know. But hopefully somebody else does. It's worth checking
    anyway.

    >But it's cool to have them in the vanquished creatures list. <g>

    Ah, but I play unpatched.

    >> My current character combo (demigod conjuror) has gone through
    >> seven games and *twice* has died to his *own* ghost. Grrr.
    >
    >No way to just leave them behind?

    If I'm very near the stairs, sure, but a conjuror can die to his own
    ghost very quickly (it's a high ranged offense/low durability class,
    after all). The latest lost had a ring of wizardry and a staff of
    cold. Great gear, except the best spell I had that actually would hurt
    a ghost is Magic Dart. Not an even contest by any means.

    >> instead of wandering around zapping wands at subterranean persons
    >> who were minding their own business...
    >
    >Well, they aren't exactly minding their own business when they are
    >coming at you swinging heavy or dangerously glinting objects...

    So, if an armed intruder burst into your home and started grabbing
    things, you wouldn't defend yourself and loved ones?

    Richard Daniel Henry
    danhenry@inreach.com
  11. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    Something wrong with the quoting... anyway, here's the gist:

    > I was about to ask if you were playing a troll then. A bare-handed
    > troll isn't exactly weaponless. Think big, *sharp* claws that can
    > butcher corpses.

    My recent Draconian Monk didn't lop off heads with his hands...

    -Dalton
  12. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    Tina_Hall@kruemel.org (Tina Hall) writes:

    >Jukka Kuusisto <jkuusist@cc.hut.fi> roared:
    >> Tina_Hall@kruemel.org (Tina Hall) writes:

    I just wanted to return to this...

> [...]

    I finished the Nethack game with an ascension.

    >>> Would they be any fun to play?

    After the latest victory in Crawl, where death is always lurking
    around the corner, it was just hilarious to feel invulnerable
    with the kinght who twoweaponed Excalibur and a lance and rode
    a gray dragon.

    >Oh, definitely, after all that time, but Gehennom is still a major
    >demotivator (only the early/mid game is interesting).

    Yes. The way down wasn't too bad with magic mapping and
    diving straight down. But the way up is always extremely boring.
    But I do like the Planes.

    -Jukka
    --
    Jukka Kuusisto
  13. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    R. Dan Henry <danhenry@inreach.com> screamed:
    > Tina_Hall@kruemel.org (Tina Hall) wrote:

    [ghosts]
    >> But it's cool to have them in the vanquished creatures list. <g>

    > Ah, but I play unpatched.

    That's truly strange. Why?

    >> No way to just leave them behind?

    > If I'm very near the stairs, sure, but a conjuror can die to his
    > own ghost very quickly (it's a high ranged offense/low durability
    > class, after all).

    I'd take your ghosts off you. :)

    > The latest lost had a ring of wizardry and a staff of cold. Great
    > gear, except the best spell I had that actually would hurt a ghost
    > is Magic Dart. Not an even contest by any means.

    You could try some other race/class combination until the ghosts are
    all renewed with something less dangerous to Conjurers. :) (Or use
    Hearse and have them replaced with random ghosts who might not be
    quite as bad as your own.)

    >> Well, they aren't exactly minding their own business when they
    >> are coming at you swinging heavy or dangerously glinting
    >> objects...

    > So, if an armed intruder burst into your home and started
    > grabbing things, you wouldn't defend yourself and loved ones?

    Hehe. Well, I'm not breaking down any doors, and they don't even ask
    whether I just lost my way...

    --
    Tina the Talismancer - a Believer of the Repugnant Nether Grief
  14. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    Jukka Kuusisto <jkuusist@cc.hut.fi> shouted:
    > Tina_Hall@kruemel.org (Tina Hall) writes:
    >> Jukka Kuusisto <jkuusist@cc.hut.fi> roared:

    > I just wanted to return to this...

    Ok.

    > I wrote:
    >>> Whew, the game took months in real time. I really should
    >>> finish my on-going games in Adom (a precrowned character) and
    >>> Nethack (a character that just cleared the Castle) before
    >>> returning to Crawl...

    > I finished the Nethack game with an ascension.

    Congratulations! :)

    >> Would they be any fun to play?

    > After the latest victory in Crawl, where death is always lurking
    > around the corner, it was just hilarious to feel invulnerable
    > with the kinght who twoweaponed Excalibur and a lance and rode
    > a gray dragon.

    Heh. Gray dragons are succeptible to disintegration, though. (Or are
    they no longer?) My dragons were silver, and afair I was two-
    weaponing two well enchanted lances. <g>

    >> Oh, definitely, after all that time, but Gehennom is still a
    >> major demotivator (only the early/mid game is interesting).

    > Yes. The way down wasn't too bad with magic mapping and
    > diving straight down. But the way up is always extremely boring.
    > But I do like the Planes.

    I think the way up is less boring, but I have the uncontrollable
    urge to check all loot and map the levels properly. Even with the
    appropriate spells it's tedious. (I think I lacked some particular
    ring with this knight, too.)

    Apart from that, with the newer versions, they did some changes in
    quite the wrong direction, as far as I am concerned; even more
    restricting.

    --
    Tina the Swordmaster - a High Priest of the Radioactive Nether Grudge
  15. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    Tina_Hall@kruemel.org (Tina Hall) writes:

    >Heh. Gray dragons are succeptible to disintegration, though. (Or are
    >they no longer?) My dragons were silver, and afair I was two-
    >weaponing two well enchanted lances. <g>

    They are vulnerable, so extra care must be taken. I had another
    lance as well and used two lances some of the time too.

    >I think the way up is less boring, but I have the uncontrollable
    >urge to check all loot and map the levels properly. Even with the
    >appropriate spells it's tedious. (I think I lacked some particular
    >ring with this knight, too.)

    I used to do that too. But I won't anymore.

    >Apart from that, with the newer versions, they did some changes in
    >quite the wrong direction, as far as I am concerned; even more
    >restricting.

    I don't know what you mean, but they shortened Gehennom a little,
    which is a change in the right direction.

    -Jukka
    --
    Jukka Kuusisto
  16. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    Jukka Kuusisto <jkuusist@cc.hut.fi> shouted:
    > Tina_Hall@kruemel.org (Tina Hall) writes:

    >> I think the way up is less boring, but I have the uncontrollable
    >> urge to check all loot and map the levels properly. Even with
    >> the appropriate spells it's tedious. (I think I lacked some
    >> particular ring with this knight, too.)

    > I used to do that too. But I won't anymore.

    I just don't play that game, problem solved. :)

    >> Apart from that, with the newer versions, they did some changes
    >> in quite the wrong direction, as far as I am concerned; even
    >> more restricting.

    > I don't know what you mean, but they shortened Gehennom a little,
    > which is a change in the right direction.

    Stuff concerning the Quest artifacts (and other roles using them),
    and I just remember that lances can now break. Little things like
    that, instead of improving the possibilities, they narrow them.

    --
    Tina the Cutter - a Believer of the Rumbling Nasty Garter
  17. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    Tina_Hall@kruemel.org (Tina Hall) writes:

    >Stuff concerning the Quest artifacts (and other roles using them),
    >and I just remember that lances can now break. Little things like
    >that, instead of improving the possibilities, they narrow them.

    Well, I never wish for Quest artifacts anyway. And I sure
    didn't break either of the lances I had despite using at
    least one of them all the time.

    -Jukka
    --
    Jukka Kuusisto
  18. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    Tina_Hall@kruemel.org (Tina Hall) wrote:
    >Jukka Kuusisto <jkuusist@cc.hut.fi> shouted:
    >> I don't know what you mean, but they shortened Gehennom a little,
    >> which is a change in the right direction.
    >
    >Stuff concerning the Quest artifacts (and other roles using them),

    Use of quest artifacts by other roles has been constrained since at
    least 3.1; to use someone else's quest artifact, you have to be of the
    same alignment as the "default" for that class, and you get blasted for
    the class incompatibility whenever you pick up, wield, or #invoke the
    artifact, because intelligent artifacts (which the quest artifacts all
    are) blast unsuitable users.

    A quick test in explore mode in NH 3.4.3 shows that this behaviour is
    pretty much exactly as it was in NH 3.1.3, *nine years ago*.
  19. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    Martin Read <mpread@chiark.greenend.org.uk> bellowed:
    > Tina_Hall@kruemel.org (Tina Hall) wrote:
    >> Jukka Kuusisto <jkuusist@cc.hut.fi> shouted:

    >>> I don't know what you mean, but they shortened Gehennom a
    >>> little, which is a change in the right direction.
    >>
    >> Stuff concerning the Quest artifacts (and other roles using
    >> them),

    > Use of quest artifacts by other roles has been constrained since
    > at least 3.1; to use someone else's quest artifact, you have to
    > be of the same alignment as the "default" for that class, and you
    > get blasted for the class incompatibility whenever you pick up,
    > wield, or #invoke the artifact, because intelligent artifacts
    > (which the quest artifacts all are) blast unsuitable users.

    That's not correct. Some of that was added after 3.4.0, my knight
    (3.4.0) can still use his Eye of Aethiopica without getting blasted.

    Instead of going in the more flexible direction, they add stuff to
    make using them more difficult.

    --
    Tina the Axe Maniac - a Follower of the Roman Natural Guide

Video Games